• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon R3D and Green 3D [recruiting]

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 11, 2015
Question: what exactly do you mean "roster and checklist"? (As of writing, I assume by "roster" you mean who's handling what.)

Believe me, there will be at least one shakeup, and I know one which will feature in the game will take place in Cerulean Gym (specifically, the swimsuits are getting kind of stale in my humble opinion, so I'm going to do a bait-and-switch involving Misty and one of the lesser trainers involving costume design).

I'll forward that to the engine personnel, including the eventers (like I said earlier, the engine won't be a one-man job; everyone on the engine squad will share what they can do with it with each other).

I think I found someone, but he hasn't been on here in two and a half weeks. In the meantime, can you do art of similar quality?

I'll make sure everyone on engine duty keeps that in mind.

1. By roster i mean ucoming work to do and the team member doing it with log
2. nahh m not an artist but i can do mapping and may be some pixelart spriting and maybe some of the scriting too but thats too far right now ...first you do need a game engine (at least basic just walkthrough ) elsewise working on anything will be a loss of time and potential

Fotomac

Genwunner and proud of it
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Great! Oh, I've come up with a name for the engine: Project Vulpix.

Last edited:

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
The name is a reference to the number six; the engine is being built for full compatibility with Gen VI, and Vulpix's name is at least partially derived from "six".

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Well, it seems like an ambitious project and I wish you the best of luck, but I have some questions regarding it. Firstly, why make your own engine when you have no programmers(as far as I can tell; you may want to reconsider the title 'engineer' in favor of 'producer' considering that you seem to have the final say on all aspects of the project)?

Secondly, why make two games? Your features list doesn't include multiplayer functionality(which I do not recommend adding on until you're nearly finished with the project anyhow), and developing two games in tandem is(as I mentioned in your general discussion thread about paired games) a waste of time anyhow since you aren't beholden to any sales on a non-profit fangame. You're adding an extra step to your design process for no reason whatsoever.

Why add a whole new region to your game? You've already promised almost 2 games' worth of content with just Kanto and the Sevii Islands, not to mention the additional challenge of balancing late-game Pokemon for Albion.

Finally, why commit to including all 721+ Pokemon? Even as we speak we've got the rumors circulating about Mega Zygarde and Jim Henson's Zygarde Babies that new blobby thing, and knowing the development time of Pokemon fangames of the two-region scope(I consider Sevii Islands to be effectively one region due to the discrete nature of the separate islands), it's fairly safe to say that another generation of Pokemon will appear long before you finish the project. You'll have to balance those Pokemon in consideration with your gameplay in addition to the ~218 available in FireRed/LeafGreen. Additionally, when you talk about gating Pokemon availability in the same way that the original games did, you'll have to commit to a plan to keep those additional Pokemon worth catching in the late game. Unless your goal was to complete the pokedex(and there are scant few who will do so in a fangame), what motivation does a player have to change up their regular battling team in your late game?

italianspy

Sounds like a jealous croatian
Years
  • Seen Dec 19, 2015
If you're really this eager to make a new engine, why not also just make an entire new game that you can then sell? And you can design the engine with pokemon in mind, so that once you're done with the project, you can more easily make a pokemon fan game if you're still interested.

Also, if you want to make a 3d game engine, you should probably learn how to make one. People are more likely to come help you out if you're already doing something.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Firstly, why make your own engine when you have no programmers(as far as I can tell; you may want to reconsider the title 'engineer' in favor of 'producer' considering that you seem to have the final say on all aspects of the project)?

That's precisely my point in trying to find programmers... and yet some jealous Croatian (at least, I assume he's jealous given his allegedly less-than-reasonable attitude towards me, though I'll admit he did have a point about calling myself an "engineer") is trying to tell me I can't hope to recruit programmers to work on my engine unless I actually create a working engine from scratch.

Secondly, why make two games? Your features list doesn't include multiplayer functionality(which I do not recommend adding on until you're nearly finished with the project anyhow), and developing two games in tandem is(as I mentioned in your general discussion thread about paired games) a waste of time anyhow since you aren't beholden to any sales on a non-profit fangame. You're adding an extra step to your design process for no reason whatsoever.

Actually, multiplayer functionality for paired games should, in my humble opinion, go without saying anyway. Plus, a Red version remake wouldn't be complete, again in my humble opinion, without a Green/Blue version counterpart.

Why add a whole new region to your game? You've already promised almost 2 games' worth of content with just Kanto and the Sevii Islands, not to mention the additional challenge of balancing late-game Pokemon for Albion.

In addition to making sure all 18 Gen VI types are represented by official Pokémon Gyms, I'm also intending it to help make sure as many of the 721 as possible can fit (including exclusives between the pair itself), which brings us to...

Finally, why commit to including all 721+ Pokemon? Even as we speak we've got the rumors circulating about Mega Zygarde and Jim Henson's Zygarde Babies that new blobby thing, and knowing the development time of Pokemon fangames of the two-region scope(I consider Sevii Islands to be effectively one region due to the discrete nature of the separate islands), it's fairly safe to say that another generation of Pokemon will appear long before you finish the project. You'll have to balance those Pokemon in consideration with your gameplay in addition to the ~218 available in FireRed/LeafGreen. Additionally, when you talk about gating Pokemon availability in the same way that the original games did, you'll have to commit to a plan to keep those additional Pokemon worth catching in the late game. Unless your goal was to complete the pokedex(and there are scant few who will do so in a fangame), what motivation does a player have to change up their regular battling team in your late game?

Well, I have to include at least some Pokémon from all six generations in R3D and Green 3D, kind of like FR/LG did (except that game had only three generations to deal with). There will also be three Pokédexes: the Kanto Pokédex (developed by Professor Oak), the New Pokédex (developed by Professor Elm), and the National Pokédex (a joint effort between Professors Oak and Birch). Each Dex will be acquired at progressive stages in the game.

If you're really this eager to make a new engine, why not also just make an entire new game that you can then sell? And you can design the engine with pokemon in mind, so that once you're done with the project, you can more easily make a pokemon fan game if you're still interested.

Also, if you want to make a 3d game engine, you should probably learn how to make one. People are more likely to come help you out if you're already doing something.

As for you, you're starting to sound like the aforementioned Croatian, only somewhat more helpful. Come to think, there's spots open for engine personnel if anyone's interested in assisting me with building Project Vulpix (the name of the engine, like I said earlier).

Last edited:

Schrroms

Pokémon Infinite Fusion dev
Years
That's precisely my point in trying to find programmers... and yet some jealous Croatian (at least, I assume he's jealous given his allegedly less-than-reasonable attitude towards me, though I'll admit he did have a point about calling myself an "engineer") is trying to tell me I can't hope to recruit programmers to work on my engine unless I actually create a working engine from scratch.

I don't understand how you're going to recruit people to develop your engine for free. Making an engine from scratch is A LOT of work, easily thousands of hours. There aren't many people who would be willing to do that for free.

Anyway, good luck on your project. I'm liking the idea a lot, even though I personally think it's unrealistically ambitious.
I do hope you do find a good team to help you. You seem to have a good creative drive and I'd love to see a finished version of this.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
I don't understand how you're going to recruit people to develop your engine for free. Making an engine from scratch is A LOT of work, easily thousands of hours. There aren't many people who would be willing to do that for free.

Like I said earlier, even in regards to Project Vulpix I can't be expected to do everything myself. For example, I've gone through a lot of GameStudio tutorials, and none of them tell me how to produce a title sequence. Plus, the engine team will need a stereographer, as all Gen VI core games so far have been made in stereo 3D.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
While I think it's not necessarily true that you can't recruit programmers without a working engine, it does lend a certain ethos to the project, especially when developing something as elaborate as a Pokemon game using a 3D engine. In fact, I'd offer my help at this stage of development, but with the stipulation that since it is such a large project and would take a significant amount of time(I'd have to put all of my own projects on hold and work on this full-time), I'd have to charge you at my usual rate for services rendered.

Actually, multiplayer functionality for paired games should, in my humble opinion, go without saying anyway. Plus, a Red version remake wouldn't be complete, again in my humble opinion, without a Green/Blue version counterpart.
For paired games, multiplayer should be a feature, yes, but you hadn't listed it in your features, and it is a massive undertaking to do without any prior experience in networking. For this reason(and other engine limitations), very few fangames bother with multiplayer, especially since it requires an additional level of game balancing(player versus environment and player versus player). Granted, Pokemon lends itself to multiplayer fairly easily with its modular nature and turn-based gameplay, but multiplayer battling/trading is still nothing to sneeze at.

In addition to making sure all 18 Gen VI types are represented by official Pokémon Gyms, I'm also intending it to help make sure as many of the 721 as possible can fit (including exclusives between the pair itself) .... I have to include at least some Pokémon from all six generations in R3D and Green 3D, kind of like FR/LG did (except that game had only three generations to deal with). There will also be three Pokédexes: the Kanto Pokédex (developed by Professor Oak), the New Pokédex (developed by Professor Elm), and the National Pokédex (a joint effort between Professors Oak and Birch). Each Dex will be acquired at progressive stages in the game.
That's actually exactly what I'm suggesting. Instead of committing to doing 721 available Pokemon, you have the ability to pick and choose which are available to suit the intended gameplay experience of your game. Besides, as a self-professed Genwunner, I'm sure there are plenty of Pokemon which you would rather not include for aesthetic preference in your game.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
While I think it's not necessarily true that you can't recruit programmers without a working engine, it does lend a certain ethos to the project, especially when developing something as elaborate as a Pokemon game using a 3D engine. In fact, I'd offer my help at this stage of development, but with the stipulation that since it is such a large project and would take a significant amount of time(I'd have to put all of my own projects on hold and work on this full-time), I'd have to charge you at my usual rate for services rendered.

I guess I'll have to look elsewhere for programmers, then, the caveat I encountered being that you'd charge money for your services.

For paired games, multiplayer should be a feature, yes, but you hadn't listed it in your features, and it is a massive undertaking to do without any prior experience in networking. For this reason(and other engine limitations), very few fangames bother with multiplayer, especially since it requires an additional level of game balancing(player versus environment and player versus player). Granted, Pokemon lends itself to multiplayer fairly easily with its modular nature and turn-based gameplay, but multiplayer battling/trading is still nothing to sneeze at.

The only reason why I didn't list it among the features is because I think it should go without saying, like I said earlier, due to the nature of this project.

That's actually exactly what I'm suggesting. Instead of committing to doing 721 available Pokemon, you have the ability to pick and choose which are available to suit the intended gameplay experience of your game. Besides, as a self-professed Genwunner, I'm sure there are plenty of Pokemon which you would rather not include for aesthetic preference in your game.

Consider, of course, that the job would be easier if I knew which Pokémon are available only by transfer from a previous generation in Gen VI. Otherwise, it's all a matter of meticulously picking and choosing which ones beyond the Color Gen make the cut, even within each game in the pair. Oh, I was also thinking of doing something called "nominal exclusives", a concept which I believe was introduced in Gen II with such pairs as Ekans/Sandshrew. I've already figured out that Ekans/Sandshrew will be a pair of nominal exclusives and that Vulpix/Growlithe will be a pair of true exclusives. Also, as Pinsir's counterpart in this pair of games will be Heracross, I'll have to put the New Pokédex's availability at some point before Fuchsia City (Scyther will be available in both games, of course). There will also be a "partial exclusives" concept in which the evolutionary line which is supposed to be exclusive to one game will be available in much less areas in the other game and must be evolved in order to obtain its immediate evolution (read: 2nd stage out of 3) in that other game.

italianspy

Sounds like a jealous croatian
Years
  • Seen Dec 19, 2015
I think this project would be fine and dandy, but I don't think you'll really be able to get anyone to make a whole engine for free.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
I think this project would be fine and dandy, but I don't think you'll really be able to get anyone to make a whole engine for free.

I believe that's where the "engine team" concept would come in.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
I believe that's where the "engine team" concept would come in.

Getting a whole team to work for free is much harder than getting a single person to work for free

I think that italianspy marked the sentiment fairly well - you've offered no indication that YOU will be quantifiably working on this project throughout your entire thread, and expect people to join because they subscribe to your vision. If you're expecting a whole new engine to be created for this project, you have to indicate that you find others' time valuable and contribute yourself, either in time or money or other support, depending on how the people working with you value their time. If you were doing something other than functioning as a "creative director" (which reads as "I'll tell you what to do and then take the credit at the end"), I think you'd be met with more enthusiasm.

Benamon

Programmer and fan
Years
I can't model or code for 3d, but I'm good with data structures stuff, like coding the battle scripts and hoards like you mentioned. What language will this game be in?

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
I can't model or code for 3d, but I'm good with data structures stuff, like coding the battle scripts and hoards like you mentioned. What language will this game be in?

English will be the default language; I'm also planning on having Japanese, Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Portuguese languages included.

I think that italianspy marked the sentiment fairly well - you've offered no indication that YOU will be quantifiably working on this project throughout your entire thread, and expect people to join because they subscribe to your vision. If you're expecting a whole new engine to be created for this project, you have to indicate that you find others' time valuable and contribute yourself, either in time or money or other support, depending on how the people working with you value their time. If you were doing something other than functioning as a "creative director" (which reads as "I'll tell you what to do and then take the credit at the end"), I think you'd be met with more enthusiasm.

As for that, as far as the engine is concerned I'll at least be handling the more basic stuff.

And may I repeat to everyone that the Project Vulpix engine will be derived from GameStudio? You can download it here.

Benamon

Programmer and fan
Years
English will be the default language; I'm also planning on having Japanese, Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Portuguese languages included.

oh whoops, I meant which coding language, as in java, c or something else

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023

oh whoops, I meant which coding language, as in java, c or something else

Lite-C, the language used by GameStudio, from which Project Vulpix will be derived.

Back