• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tired of OU and all of its inhabitants?!

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Hope Kyurem and Victini (well near everything) get banned soon.

Kyurem can do so much damage its unreal and essentially forces you to run Registeel because nothing else beats it well at all (Focus Blast nails that nicely though). :\ It can also run insane sets from anything from Specs to Hone Claws Mix sets with Blizzard or 101 HP Sub set to crap on Chansey. In Hail its even more difficult to deal with since it can just click Specs Blizzard. It also runs HP Fire as a standard move ever since people started using Shubarugo/Bug Knight to check it. -_- That and people use Magic Bounce and Spinners with it so even SR is unreliable.

Victini also only needs V-Generate and Fusion Bolt to GG everything. Ive also seen Expert Belt Mix Sets that lure in Suicune with Grass Knot etc ughh. Once again it forces you to have a weather changer so Drought doesn't make it 2hko even 4x Fire resists like Kingdra and Omastar or a Flash Fire user. ._.

Baton Pass and Mew probably need to go to. Those dual screen Mew/Smash Pass teams are frikking stupidly broken.

Either way i hate this metagame, its terrible and retarded because of the arbitrary cut off point, OU is too small. Everything in UU is basically broken as they have few checks/counters. :\ There are no good steels so you can just spam dragons all day and win. You're forced to run a weather counter still just to avoid getting obliterated by drought and hail teams. ~___~

Lastly don't even get me started on Reckless Staraptor... ._.

TL;DR "wow ubers is a more balanced metagame."

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Hope Kyurem and Victini (well near everything) get banned soon.

Kyurem can do so much damage its unreal and essentially forces you to run Registeel because nothing else beats it well at all (Focus Blast nails that nicely though). :\ It can also run insane sets from anything from Specs to Hone Claws Mix sets with Blizzard or 101 HP Sub set to crap on Chansey. In Hail its even more difficult to deal with since it can just click Specs Blizzard. It also runs HP Fire as a standard move ever since people started using Shubarugo/Bug Knight to check it. -_- That and people use Magic Bounce and Spinners with it so even SR is unreliable.

Victini also only needs V-Generate and Fusion Bolt to GG everything. Ive also seen Expert Belt Mix Sets that lure in Suicune with Grass Knot etc ughh. Once again it forces you to have a weather changer so Drought doesn't make it 2hko even 4x Fire resists like Kingdra and Omastar or a Flash Fire user. ._.

Baton Pass and Mew probably need to go to. Those dual screen Mew/Smash Pass teams are frikking stupidly broken.

Either way i hate this metagame, its terrible and retarded because of the arbitrary cut off point, OU is too small. Everything in UU is basically broken as they have few checks/counters. :\ There are no good steels so you can just spam dragons all day and win. You're forced to run a weather counter still just to avoid getting obliterated by drought and hail teams. ~___~

Lastly don't even get me started on Reckless Staraptor... ._.

TL;DR "wow ubers is a more balanced metagame."

TBH I agree with most of your sentiments. Kyurem is hell, really, though I think a much better check than Registeel is Cobalion - it can come in on a Blizzard or Draco Meteor and at the very least force it out by outspeeding and threatening an OHKO with CC. It's the best check to Kyu I can think of, anyway. 101 Sub sets are really what make it broken imo, though - absolutely stuffing everything with its, what, 125/90/90 defenses? + a decent defensive typing with its Dragon-type and then not even Chansey being able to break it is all just ughhh. Kyurem is probably the most broken Pokemon out of any UU mon, imo.

I think Drought in general is broken, though I've only fought one or two effective players. Victreebel on its own really just mashes basically everything, and then that coupled with Victini and other decent Chlorophyll spammers makes Drought really too easy to smash through everything. The only thing that sucks for it is the awfulness of Vulpix which limits its ability to combat with Hail and Rain Dance Kingdra (does that even work lol). It's really really good when played effectively. I don't think Victini will be so powerful once the sun is gone.

Smashpass is broken and annoying as hell, especially with Taunt Mew stopping you from Roaring everything. >:<

Yeah, Dragons are also OP though I guess the only two usable ones are Flygon and Kyurem. Altaria is kinda... awful, and then icr if there even are any more lol. Eviolite Shelgon!? Nahhh. I mean, between running Cobalion and Kingdra, I had both weathers covered more or less with Weavile to pick off weakened Grass-type sun sweepers. I never had too much trouble with weather but I already built my team to deal with those kinds of threats.

Reckless Staraptor is insane. When I saw it at first, I was like "oh hell that must be CB" and then when it outsped my Weavile and OHKOd with CC I realized that it was Scarf. CB Staraptor will demolish like everything. :| I never really had much trouble outside of what you've mentioned, though. :<

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
What the hell is Espeon doing in UU...This was before Magic Bounce/Mirror/whatever correct?

Nope. Magic Bounce was out during these usage results. I suspect its lack in usage is due to a couple factors:
- Xatu, with access to Stored Power, makes a formidable magic bouncer as well. This essentially splits the usage for the same role.
- With the wifi clause, people can see each others' teams before battling, and seeing an Espeon tells a player "don't try and set up spikes/SR until espeon is gone". This wrecks its usefulness for players that can't find a way to keep it alive long enough to either prevent hazards in the first place, or manage to work at the nerves of the opponent to the point where you reflect them back.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
Years
It's because Espeon is primarily used for its support role in bouncing stuff back. It can't do too much offensively apart from laugh at Blissey with Psyshock (if it carries it) or beat out a fighting type. If you look at the top 10 of OU, you can also see why. Ferrothorn laughs at Espeon these days, Scizor can just Bullet Punch or Pursuit, Tar can Pursuit, Garchomp/Latios can take a hit then bring it down, Gliscor can Protect stall it thanks to Poison Heal, Excadrill outspeeds in sand (not used anywhere else hopefully) and brings down in one shot with Earthquake, Reuniclus lives a Shadow Ball and retaliates with a more powerful one, so on and so forth. Speed doesn't help Espeon out too much because it doesn't have the offensive capacity to do well in OU anymore even with a decent Speed stat.

On other notes I guess this means I need a new OU team lol (when 1/3rd of your team is UU there might be a problem). I'm actually a little bit surprised that Kyurem didn't break the UU barrier because it really is a powerhouse if you play it right and it has variety (Hone Claws set, Life Orb Special, Specs, Sub, etc). I would've thought it to be OU for sure.

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
But....but...Espeon can outspeed quite a few things...

The points .Aero outlined are really crucial to its lack in usage. However, though, there's another thing - the name of the metagame is speed & priority. So many things are blazing fast in OU (Excadrill, I'm looking at you) that really, the speed quality of everything else just doesn't mean as much. Plus, Espeon's relatively frail and priority from random things like CB Azumarill's Aqua Jet will do huge damage to it. Espeon's just not bulky enough to take any kind of hit, nor is it powerful enough to KO anything with remote special bulk before it dies to their counterattack. Plus it has an awful time trying to break through Tyranitar and Scizor and all sorts of other things. Espeon's just too frail to really do anything other than Bounce away some hazards. :(

...I was going to say something else too but I forgot. -scratches head-

edit: damn you skippy you beat me by a minute. :((((((((((((((

skipfat said:
On other notes I guess this means I need a new OU team lol (when 1/3rd of your team is UU there might be a problem). I'm actually a little bit surprised that Kyurem didn't break the UU barrier because it really is a powerhouse if you play it right and it has variety (Hone Claws set, Life Orb Special, Specs, Sub, etc). I would've thought it to be OU for sure.

Well, Kyurem is indeed a powerhouse but I guess the people just didn't want to utilize it in OU. Plus, Fighting-type and Steel-type dominance in OU kinda scares Kyurem slightly. It's good in OU, but nowhere near as good as it is in UU. TBH my favorite set to abuse with it in UU is the Hone Claws+101 Sub set - the Pokémon that normally switch into it like Chansey just lose flat-out to it. Plus, when that's coupled with Spikes and Toxic Spikes and SR, nothing lives more than two +6 D-Tails.

OH I REMEMBER WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY. I want to try Trick Room Victini and/or Moxie Honchcrow (mix with HP Fire?). Moxie Sucker Punch just sounds too good to be true and TR Victini will seriously tear apart any kind of offensive team especially if you're already working with Sun. Plus V-Create actually makes you faster and faster in TR which is awesome - and there are no good Pursuiters in UU save maybe Houndoom (which any sun team should have a check for anyway).

Last edited:
Back