• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

droomph

weeb
Years
Ooh China is winning.

In all honesty apart from the 2008 Olympics (mostly because my grandparents were proud as heck to have them hosted in China) I have never followed them.

Though I do think baseball should be in the Olympics. We need to prove to the world how awesome we and Japan are at winning at life.

Edit: no, a better title: "MR CAT DOG SECRETLY HOSTED THE OLYMPICS (C&M DCC)"

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
I've successfully avoided watching the Olympics at all (aside from that lolopening thing). Go me!
Same here, as well as a brief bit of Gymnastics while at my grandparents. I feel bad though considering I may not see another olympics in my own country during my lifetime. Truth is I'm just not into sport as much as other people. I'm happier going out and doing things or chilling out in my room being musically creative and productive. This whole olympics thing just isn't on my priorities list.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I've avoided it all, including the Opening Ceremony. I got to work and my sister (who I work with) was like, "did you watch the Opening Ceremony?" and I was like "...of what?" I just had no idea.

I've actually barely noticed it's been going on at all. I have been watching other channels and haven't seen or heard a word about it. I saw about 10 seconds of footage of the long jump at a friend's house before we switched over to the Breaking Bad DVD, but that's literally everything I've seen of the Olympics lol.

That and pictures of hot swimmers. You can blame Meganium90 for that one :P

s0nido

turn up the engine
Years
I haven't watched any portion of the 2012 Olympics yet, and I'm glad to see that I'm not alone. XD

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Oh, I'm watching the Olympics as I type this... please don't burn me at the stake. I've never really cared about the Olympics before this year when I decided just to watch it on a whim.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Though I do think baseball should be in the Olympics. We need to prove to the world how awesome we and Japan are at winning at life.

Yes, because the Olympics needs yet another sport for America to dominate in.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Ugh, I know. Culture tends to die during any Olympics, and I don't want it to happen here as well. Indeed, it's probably time for a title change! :D

Blame Jon, Andy. The harbinger of Olympic evil.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Sure, I'll take credit. I love the Olympics, but am aware of how much of a devastating effect they have on other cultural pursuits (I imagine that without TDKR in the picture, cinema box-office grosses would have taken a sharp nosedive over these past two weeks). But I love the Olympics. With my crappy internet at the moment, they've been the only thing keeping me sane for the past couple of days! :D

Years
What's with the Olympics dislike? They're very entertaining and very educational.

And really, we don't need to be talking about Kristen Stewart or Kim Kardashian or other tabloid nonsense so any distraction from that stuff for people is good.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
What's with the Olympics dislike? They're very entertaining and very educational.

And really, we don't need to be talking about Kristen Stewart or Kim Kardashian or other tabloid nonsense so any distraction from that stuff for people is good.
I don't dislike the olympics, I'm just not interested :D.

droomph

weeb
Years
Same here. If it's sports I would rather play than watch. Though you can't get me to play sports without forcing me but once I'm there it's totally awesome for me.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday

Although I enjoy the Olympics, it's the total dominance of world affairs that begins to frustrate me after a while. I wish I could be one of those people who remains utterly infatuated by every single thing about the Olympics and cannot say a single bad word about it, but alas, I just not that person. But, let it be said that I like the Olympics, even if my interest begins to wane immediately after the Opening Ceremony – which, may I add, I thought was wonderful.

Shining Raichu

Years

Basically +1 me for Harlequin's reasons, but also it's... athletics. It's boring. And I've always hated the way people lose their **** over sport as though it's the most impressive thing in the world. I'd much rather talk about Kristen Stewart and Kim Kardashian than dull athletes. Though on that note, I don't think we've ever discussed Kristen Stewart, Kim Kardashian or anybody like them in here.

So, 'entertaining' is definitely a matter of opinion and as for educational... well, I haven't watched The Olympics this time around at all, but I can honestly say I've never learned a thing from an Olympic broadcast in my life. It's just... it's watching exercise. People fighting each other to be better at exercise.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
It's just... it's watching exercise. People fighting each other to be better at exercise.
That's...a really odd way to word it. It's competition, people like watching competition (even if it isn't always physical) and supporting whoever they think is the best or someone who in some way represents them. (hence fans of countries) I can understand people not liking sports though, I used to despise them as a kid and even now the only sports I'd consider myself a huge fan of are soccer and basketball. It's just odd to word it as simply "exercise", you're stripping away other factors that go into making sports interesting.

The Olympics, at least in the US, aren't actually all over the place. There's some terrible broadcasting going on in one channel and...well, depending on where you go to for news, it's not the number one topic. If you're going to the TV for news, you do have to understand that they're never going to be covering every important topic, just whatever gets them the best ratings at the time. Real news sources are able to cover a much broader spectrum of topics.

droomph

weeb
Years
Ugh entertainment

Being entertained is horrible

Anywho I would much rather listen to music or watch Soul Eater/Haruhi compulsively sort my Pokémon cards (I have issues okay) or be on PC than watching news (on TV at least), the Olympic, or anything movie or media. Though I am addicted to ABC's YouTube channel.

Shining Raichu

Years
Ryoutarou you actually gave me another thing - probably the biggest thing - I hate about the Olympics. I honestly can't believe I didn't think to say this before. The patriotism. Ugh I hate patriotism so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back