• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokedit Hacked or fair game?

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
RNG is fully in-game. The guy in charge of VGC pretty much said "go for it" when asked about RNG and no one's been banned for anything RNG'd. Essentially, this is how RNG works. In your game, a bunch of hidden numbers change all the time depending on the time of the DS, the buttons you're hitting, and so on. What RNG reporter does is figure out exactly what to hit at what time in order to get a certain set of numbers to pop up. When that set of numbers is generated, boom, you have your RNG'd 'mon. Soft resetting is a form of RNG manipulation, it's just a lot less accurate.

RNGing doesn't fall remotely near hacking.

Wow, this is very interesting news to me... can you or anyone share with me the source of a person in charge of VGC saying that? :P

First of all, it's useful to know couple of terms:

Legitimate: Pokemon data solely created by the game without the means of outside program such as action replay or Pokegen.
Hacked: Opposite of legitimate.
Legal: Possible to be created by the game. Hacked Pokemon can be legal.
Illegal: Opposite of legal.
I never knew there were a difference between these terminology. :D Thanks so much... now I'll actually know what I'm talking, because I always struggled in conversation on what to call and not call a "hack."

There's no RNG for gen 6. The closest thing to RNG is that egg trick that was discovered some months back.
Is there actually no RNG proven to be capable of abused in the game, or is it just not discovered?

Anyways, as for my thoughts: Ultimately, I think that people just need to be honest and straightforward if they're battling/trading with legal pokes as opposed to those which are legit, and so long as the people they're battling/trading with is okay with that, then it's all good. I've literally been on the fence on whether I would use legal pokemon so many times (and going quite far in the process, too), but I always seem to have a last minute change of heart. My most recent decision was to not create 6IV Dittos to make breeding in BW2 easier (compared to Gen6) so that I could transfer over pokemon with move tutors. I like the aspect of being able to raise my own pokemon, and I guess I'd rather just do it 100% on my own than get even a little external help.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Pokemon has 3 core concepts.

1. Collect
2. Trade
3. Battle

This is what happens when third party software generates new, perfect, mons out of nothing.

1. Collect.
2. Trade.

3. Battle. (?)

I find it Ironic that people who Clone pokemon refuse to trade their clones without getting something equal in return.... You literally have infinite amounts of that mon... NOTHING I can trade you will be as good, because it is not absolutely perfect.

Hackers and cloners make it harder to trade. It destroys the Trade Economy. The perfect Vullaby that took me 13 hours to get has NO TRADE VALUE because anyone who wanted a perfect Vullaby can just make their own. Once I give them my Vullaby, now they have an infinite supply, so if Other people offer a perfect Vullaby, "Nope. Already got one can can clone a million of them."

Battling online is also discouraged when it feels like everyone else has an unfair advantage. "If it could be made in-game it is fair right?" WRONG. You would not have hacked/cloned a perfect mon unless you believed it gave you an advantage, otherwise you would have just trained a wild one.

If you want to compete in a meta-game where all pokemon are perfect and people are OK with that............Pokemon Showdown.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
Wow, this is very interesting news to me... can you or anyone share with me the source of a person in charge of VGC saying that? :P

You want me to quote someone who spoke to an organizer live during a real life tournament about the official stance on RNG from an official point of view. Uhhh... Okay. Here, email [email protected]. This email belongs to a lovely lady named Dorian. She's the tournament organizer for the Philadelphia Pokemon Regionals. You can ask her yourself. Or you can PM Alpha Zealot on nuggetbridge.com. This honorable man is the one who creates the official tournament rules for VGC. Essentially he's the head honcho of North America's VGC (I think). If you choose to contact neither, then you'll just have to take my word for it.

Or you can VM Wiilio, TheGr8, or tman109ner and ask them. I can guarantee you that they'll all back me on this. We four are the only ones who participate in live VGC (sorry TGC people) out of everyone here on PC that I know of. You can also VM any staff member on nuggetbridge.com and they'll give you the exact same answer. Actually, there's a fifth but he's no longer active on PC so oh well.

Or you can just show up to a sanctioned VGC event and ask an organizer/judge directly.

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Is there actually no RNG proven to be capable of abused in the game, or is it just not discovered?
All video games have a form of RNG in them. That is to say they have a Random Number Generator. With X and Y it is heavily encrypted so it's very difficult to pinpoint how it behaves. As of now there is no way to RNG abuse gen 6 games, but that doesn't mean someone won't eventually crack it.
I find it Ironic that people who Clone pokemon refuse to trade their clones without getting something equal in return.... You literally have infinite amounts of that mon... NOTHING I can trade you will be as good, because it is not absolutely perfect.

Hackers and cloners make it harder to trade. It destroys the Trade Economy. The perfect Vullaby that took me 13 hours to get has NO TRADE VALUE because anyone who wanted a perfect Vullaby can just make their own. Once I give them my Vullaby, now they have an infinite supply, so if Other people offer a perfect Vullaby, "Nope. Already got one can can clone a million of them."

Battling online is also discouraged when it feels like everyone else has an unfair advantage. "If it could be made in-game it is fair right?" WRONG. You would not have hacked/cloned a perfect mon unless you believed it gave you an advantage, otherwise you would have just trained a wild one.
Firstly, you're ignoring an important fact. Here we enforce distribution rights. So if someone does try to clone infinite versions of your Vullaby for distribution without your express permission, you have every right to report them to a moderator, and they will be punished accordingly. Generally, any respectable trader is going to only use the original Pokemon you traded them rather than cloning them a million times.

Personally I agree that if you're cloning you probably shouldn't be asking for anything in return, but I can also understand why someone who devoted hours to obtaining a Pokemon would feel that they should get something in exchange. After all, if you're getting that Pokemon from them it means that they did all the work for you, so really it can go either way. If a person wants to ask for stuff in exchange for their clones, then they probably put a lot of work into it.

I also happen to know that having just one of a Pokemon isn't always enough. There's always going to be different spreads and move sets for the same Pokemon. Having one Vullaby that you can clone a million times is worthless if it doesn't have the nature that you need. So there will always be something that a person needs.

For the record, plenty of people who aren't hacking have perfect Pokemon too. So it's not like everyone who's better than you is a hacker.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
I clone everything I RNG because it took me many hours usually to get it and I want to be able to trade it more than once and keep one for myself too. But unlike most others, I pretty much give them away and ask for nothing in return. I may clone my Pokemon but whatever anyone trades me I keep for myself and never trade it. I trade quite often because there is always something out there I don't have that I want and others have it. So we trade. Cloning does not kill the trade economy. In a way it helps boost it because if you can clone you can then trade Pokemon you would otherwise never trade.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
Does it make me a bad person if I used programs like PokEdit merely to help complete my National PokeDex with event Pokemon (like Genesect, or Jirachi), because I was WAY behind the curb?

I wouldn't use hacked Pokemon to do battle or trade with. I'd use it to try and complete my PokeDex, whereas there are no other foreseeable why to do it (since GTS doesn't allow Event Pokemon to be traded).

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
Does it make me a bad person if I used programs like PokEdit merely to help complete my National PokeDex with event Pokemon (like Genesect, or Jirachi), because I was WAY behind the curb?

I wouldn't use hacked Pokemon to do battle or trade with. I'd use it to try and complete my PokeDex, whereas there are no other foreseeable why to do it (since GTS doesn't allow Event Pokemon to be traded).

Only you can decide if you feel right doing it that way or not.

However:
The game does not require the event only Pokemon to consider the National Dex Complete. The Proffessor tells you that you completed it as well as gives yout he Shiny Charm without those.

And you probably could trade here for the ones you need as well.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
If you're doing it for in-game and you're not planning to trade them or whatever, do whatever you want, most people won't have qualms about it. It's YOUR game, after all. It's people who deliberately trade away their hacks for stuff that takes hours to breed that really riles people up.

Elements1

Meh
Years

I agree with this, I might hack and screw around with my game for fun when I get board but I would never trade hacks nor battle with legit pokemon. I know some people just create their team online with pokeedit and what not but my team feels for special and I feel more connected to it if all those hours of breeding and ev training were put into each pokemon.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years
Here's another question.

If a Pokemon that you caught was bred with a hacked 6IV Ditto (to send the IVs to the baby) would the baby be considered hacked?

Elements1

Meh
Years
Here's another question.

If a Pokemon that you caught was bred with a hacked 6IV Ditto (to send the IVs to the baby) would the baby be considered hacked?

Officially no, but personally I would say yes. Any pokemon that is created to be perfect either straight through hacks or by breeding a hacked pokemon I consider the baby a hacked pokemon. But honestly it would just be easier for a hacker to create a "legal" pokemon instead of breeding.

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Here's another question.

No it's not hacked because the Pokemon was generated by the game code itself with no illegalities.
Officially no, but personally I would say yes. Any pokemon that is created to be perfect either straight through hacks or by breeding a hacked pokemon I consider the baby a hacked pokemon. But honestly it would just be easier for a hacker to create a "legit" pokemon instead of breeding.
Learn your terms. Legit means you caught it without hacking. Legal is what you should have said there as it means the Pokemon CAN exist legitly but was obtained through hacking.

Elements1

Meh
Years
No it's not hacked because the Pokemon was generated by the game code itself with no illegalities.

Learn your terms. Legit means you caught it without hacking. Legal is what you should have said there as it means the Pokemon CAN exist legitly but was obtained through hacking.

Thank you for that fix, got confused :P

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
I've personally used PokéCreator on the iPhone to manipulate DNS to receive Pokémon in B/W/B2/W2 over WonderTrade that technically don't exist. I transferred them into my Pokemon X (although sometimes, PokéBank would refuse to accept certain "legit" models like Ditto. Not sure why it would accept some but not others, but not a big deal). It was basically the same Level 80 team I had before using the program, but Level 75 instead, perfect IVs and EVs, acceptable natures and shiny. I leveled them up to 100 at the Battle Castle, but I wouldn't use them in online play or trade them over GTS. It was more of an experiment since I've never done anything like that before.

My Pokemon Y is my challenge / 100% legitimate playthroughs. I might use the Espeons/whatever from X for breeding purposes later (therefore creating legitimate Pokémon from legal Pokémon), but I still need to capture myself a decent Ditto in the Friend Safari or something.

I have a negative outlook of hacking overall, though. I experimented this time, and I was pained by how horrible it felt. So unrewarding. I bred a few near-perfect Eevees in Gen IV and I remember how happy I was. Even if they're technically legal Pokémon, my X team makes me a bit sad.

Master Kavar

Where beginnings are
Years
hey my opinion is that pokedit and pokesav is very stupid and unfair because it eliminates fairness, which is makes the game more excitable to play without pokedit.

therefore i believe i disagree pokedit :-)

Years
This is a discussion on Pokedit. On the website players have the option to trade pokemon and created pokemon directly to past gen games, particularly Black/white and Black/white 2. With the forthcoming release of Pokemon bank in the US, would you consider Pokemon obtained or created through Pokedit and their services "hacked". What if they have legitimate move sets and stats? What if they're used only for breeding? What about using it for missed event pokemon? I am in no way in support of cheating or hacked pokemon, but I'm torn about if it's cheating on the basis of the last couple questions I listed. What does everyone else think? Please discuss! No flaming other for their opinions. This should be a rational discussion please!

Mods! Sorry if this is the wrong section! I know hacked pokemon are most often talked about here, so please excuse me and move this thread I it's in the wrong section! Thank you!

You can call it "cheating" if you want but you cant even hack moves that arnt legit or stats that are god like with it because pokebank wont let it through. Now the only purpose is for those who are too lazy or bored to IV train, Nature breed, chain breed, or masuda method a shiny. So no i dont think its cheating. But i do think whoever uses it is lazy and doesnt want to do the work for themselves.

As for being fair? No not really.. i spend 5-6 hours a day trying to breed 1 perfect Ivs pokemon with the right nature, right evs, right egg moves, and more if i want it shiny. If you people are gonna sit on your butt all day and play pokemon at least breed legitlly instead of pokebanking pokedit hacked mons.

Now onto the event pokemon. Suck it up guys you missed the event? It happens. Ive missed probably 80 different events throught pokemon history. I dont cry to pokedit. Secondly Japan gets better events guys they made the game, that doensy excuse cheating to get the events you missed or cause you couldnt spend 12000 dollars to buy a plane ticket to Japan to get the event. Missing events happens all the time dont cheat your way to the top otherwise its not worth the win.

Back