• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moves in Their Learnset You Never Let Certain Pokemon Learn

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 28, 2021
My last thread got closed because it was deemed to be about hacking. What I actually want to get your ideas on are which moves on Gen 1 and 2 pokemon you NEVER let them learn from the moveset and what you what you would personally replace them with. For example, I hate Odor Sleuth, I'd much rather eradicate it so that pokemon like Growlithe can learn Flamethrower more quickly.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Sounds like a cool topic. :) Since this can apply to all the games though, I'm going to move this over to Pokemon Gaming Central!

I'm totally with you on Odor Sleuth, though. It's pretty much useless, unless...I guess in really specific circumstances? Like if you were doing a normal monotype challenge on a game and you didn't have Dark type moves on your Pokemon to fend against Ghost Pokemon, so you use Odor Sleuth...I guess? Again, that's super specific. It does seem like a waste of space though. Quash is also really ridiculous. I can't think of a Pokemon that learns it and it wastes time it could be spending learning something else that's better, but yeah.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Every kind of Mud Sport and Water Sport. Never let my pokémon learn them unless they had an empty slot and I had no choice. In-game, they are as good as useless, as my battles went much better with a switch sweeping attack instead. In general, I don't allow them many status moves.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 28, 2021
Water Sport and Mudsport suck, I agree. Which pokes learn grassy terrain? That's going straight away! See, I'm adding Pokemon like Munchlax, Magmortar and Rhyperior to FireRed, so if all these frankly terrible moves go, I have room on the ROM to give these guys movesets.

Never seen Quash, what does that do?

Last edited:

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Water sprout on a Grass,Bug,Ice and Steel team that makes your super effective fire move less effective especially on thick fat mons also more worse when drizzle or rain dance combined.

Also Mud sprout on Water and Flying team makes your choice using an effective type for effectiveness and less effectiveness on electric types

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
Take Down is one attacking move I never put on my Pokemon, especially when Return becomes available as a TM.

Never seen Quash, what does that do?

AFAIK, this move only works in Doubles. It postpones the target's action to make it move last. I don't see any point in that move, especially when you consider its absence of priority. Fake Out always trumps Quash in every Doubles battle.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 28, 2021
It always annoys me a little when Gyarados tries to learn leer, it's useful sometimes, but having trained it up from a level 2 Magikarp, I want offensive moves, since Gyarados already has Intimidate. It can be used in conjunction with it and make your foe do basically no damage, but still, I barely use it.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Moves like Leer and Growl have never really served much purpose. In Gen II, the attack animation for Leer makes it look like the user's shooting lasers out of their eyes though. That's pretty cool. 8)

Also Odor Sleuth, Foresight, the different sports... generally most non-damaging moves that can be learnt early are ones that I find the most useless. Sure they can be helpful but I'd rather chunk a pokemon's health with damage than sit there and leer at it. :(

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
Agility, all Pokémon learning that move, are pretty quick already.
But the winners are Mud Sport and Water Sport, only a few Pokémon learning that don't resist the type already by themselves.

Years
Feint. In Generation IV, it only works if the foe uses Protect or Detect. In Generation V and VI, they made it so it works if they don't, but it's weaker. You'd be better off setting up on a turn you anticipate those moves.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
"Frustration"
I always liked the idea of this move, but it's near impossible to treat a pokemon badly within the games, and there's not much reward into having a pokemon dislike you outside of battle to even justify having this move.
Maybe someday they'll expand on a pokemon disliking you, but until then, this move is just frustrating...

Salvation

To be saved.
Years
Moves with less than 100% accuracy. So stuff like, Fire Blast, Hydro Pump, Stone Edge, etc.

One of the reasons I prefer the high accuracy moves is that it helps when I'm grinding. The higher accuracy ones usually have higher PP (around 10 instead of 5) which means I can stay out in the field for at least double the time. Since I'm grinding, my Pokemon will almost always be overlevelled relative to the Pokemon I'm grinding experience from. This means that most of the time, my attacks will probably OHKO netting me a 1:1 ratio for attack to pokemon killed. As a result, I have no use for the higher powered variants of any of my attacks. The lower accuracy means that I just have a chance of not having the 1:1 ratio while grinding which would reduce the efficiency of my grinding.

I also hate relying on a move that has a chance to miss.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
Years
Any recharge moves since opponents can gain an edge over you but it can be vital in 1v1s where Fire Blast can't KO but Blast Burn can. Bestow is outclassed by Trick and Swicheroo, I see next to none purpose in Quash (unless it's a Triples gimmick like a slower Beat Up user and a faster Justified user) and any evasive moves since they aren't only a royal pain to deal with but it's not too reliable.

Nidorina of Time Lord

Waiting for the Sun to come...
Years
I never let any of Pokémon (except for those with rock headl)
learn a move that can damage them. Wild Charge, Brave Bird, Take Down, and Double Edge are no-nos. It d
oesn't matter how much they damage the opponent, it's not fair to have my Pokémon hurt itself. There are much better moves without recoil damage.
So Explosion and Self Destruct are terrible to me. The worst however is Memento. Making you Pokémon faint just to lower the opponent's stats? That's awful.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 28, 2021
I hate moves in the set where it's like, level 1 Arcanine is born with take down but learns it again later.

Question 1: Who has a level 1 Arcanine?
Question 2: Why??

Nidorina of Time Lord

Years
I hate moves in the set where it's like, level 1 Arcanine is born with take down but learns it again later.

Question 1: Who has a level 1 Arcanine?
Question 2: Why??

My sister tends to have level 1 Arcanine, Cloyster and things like that. She's too lazy to level them up, haha. But she hates Take Down, too.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
I kind of interpreted this thread as as "Why can this pokemon learn this move? It makes no sense.", with that idea in mind... I have to ask, why and how does "Hariyama" learn "Whirlwind"? What allows this gigantic sumo wrestler pokemon able to create a whirlwind? I just don't understand. I don't hate the move "Whirlwind" nor do I dislike "Roar", but what is it about "Hariyama" that allows him to learn that move? Does he flap his arms really hard to create a whirlwind?

I've been replaying Emerald lately, and I've had to grind on "Hariyama" in "Victory Road", but they constantly whirlwind me away, as annoying as that may be, it does not bother me as much as trying to understand how a "Hariyama" can whirlwind me away in the first place.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
Whirlwind, Mud Sport, Water Sport, Scary Face, Odor Sleuth, Foresight. I probably missed some, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Nidorina of Time Lord

Years
I don't get why some Water Type Pokémon know Water sport. Why do they have to weaken fire type moves, which are already weak to?And most people probably wouldn't use a fire type on a water type in the first place !

Similarly, why do some grass types know Sunny Day? They're weak to fire, so powering fire type moves is like asking to be killed.
I usually don't use staus moves, except at the very beginning of the game.. I rely on pure strength and speed. If there's a move that can cause a status condition in addition to the damage I'll use it though.

Guest123123

I guess it makes sense considering their element, but most Pokemon that learn Mud Sport and Water Sport don't need to worry about taking a lot of damage from those types anyway. The only exception I can think of is the Budew line. There are also some fast Pokemon that can have Gyro Ball, and some not so fast Pokemon that can have Electro Ball.

I also have a policy of not using the following kinds of moves:
-Moves that have less than 100 accuracy.
-Moves that cause recoil damage
-Moves that trap you into using them for 2-3 turns and cause confusion afterwards
-Sandstorm and Hail. Beneficial if you have a Pokemon out that benefits from them, but what if that Pokemon faints or you have to switch? Unless you have multiple Pokemon that thrive in those weather conditions, you'll take damage too.
-Moves that lower your own stats or have a recharge time.
-Swagger and Flatter. Too much of a gamble.
I'd never ever ever have Curse on a Ghost type, or Belly Drum on anything
-Some miscellaneous moves that aren't useful for me at all or don't fit my play style: Taunt, Protect and variations thereof, moves that cause the opponent to switch Pokemon, Frustration
Basically I don't like risks.

Back