• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y General Chat and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2014
It's improbable, but I'd like to see a more strategic use of weather, in terms of field alteration, or even just aesthetics. Say, using Rain Dance immediately after Sandstorm to turn the field to mud, which would benefit Water and Ground types and slow everything else down. Or using Sunny Day after Rain Dance to create a rainbow. It'd just be nice if there was actually a sign on the battlefield that there had actually BEEN a weather anomaly, rather than just the same standard background for that area.

Taking that one step further in terms of aesthetics, I'd quite like to see some damage done to the surrounding area to reflect attacks, as well. Say something uses Flamethrower and misses...have it blast a nearby tree. Something uses Explosion and leaves a giant hole in the ground. It'd just be entertaining to see, and make battles more involving.
Last Idea would be nice. I would like to see what happens when someone misses Judgment Day....

Kaisersaur

Veteran
Years
I personally would focus more into making every pokemon playable (competitively speaking), like giving a base stats weak pokemon an awesome movepool or ability which can explode an attribute instead of just making us think "Why the hell did they even bother?" or "It looks cool but I can't use it".
Moves effects, game specs and aesthetics are things that are constantly changing through generations, I would like for them to try better on balancing the metagame so people can stop defining "tiers" and use whatever pokemon they think works better for them. That would open the options vastly and we would stop having battles with the same old teams and strategies.

One other thing I'd like is for them to make the main character a little more customizable. Because to tell you the truth, as an older player I get kind of bored seeing the same old "cool" 11 years old kid. Cruising the region as a roughneck or an ace trainer would be totally awesome. Maybe they would have to create individual scenarios in the beginning of the game but COME ON! they have more than enough resources using the nintendo 3ds processing capabilities.

That's just how I see it.

Last edited:

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I personally would focus more into making every pokemon playable (competitively speaking), like giving a base stats weak pokemon an awesome movepool or ability which can explode an attribute instead of just making us think "Why the hell did they even bother?" or "It looks cool but I can't use it".
Moves effects, game specs and aesthetics are things that are constantly changing through generations, I would like for them to try better on balancing the metagame so people can stop defining "tiers" and use whatever pokemon they think works better for them. That would open the options vastly and we would stop having battles with the same old teams and strategies.

One other thing I'd like is for them to make the main character a little more customizable. Because to tell you the truth, as an older player I get kind of bored seeing the same old "cool" 11 years old kid. Cruising the region as a roughneck or an ace trainer would be totally awesome. Maybe they would have to create individual scenarios in the beginning of the game but COME ON! they have more than enough resources using the nintendo 3ds processing capabilities.

That's just how I see it.

Well, some pokemon, competitively speaking, have the title of "jack-of-all-trades but master of none" like Wigglytuff, Dusknoir, etc, etc. And since well, they've gotten their dream world abilities already, so It'd be kind of tough for them to have another alternative ability to work with. But yeah, in the competitive aspect, I would like to see more of a balance used, like maybe, having more move tutors that give moves like Flare Blitz or Dragon Dance, but it's just, at this point, I'd say GF will be more focused at the newer pokemon, so there's going to be most likely balance from that.

Yeah, It'd be cool if the character was customizable; a lot of people have been speculating and hoping that as well~!

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
The thing that would make character customization interesting is whether you buy items the same way as your Pokémon items. Do you spend on you...or on your battling partner?

Cyclone

Years
  • Seen May 19, 2013
The thing that would make character customization interesting is whether you buy items the same way as your Pokémon items. Do you spend on you...or on your battling partner?

Cyclone

Now that my friend, is the real question.
I personally would balance it out although I don't really buy many items for my pokes anyway since I usually train my pokes enough, so that I usually don't need to visit a pokecenter until near end of the route/cave

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Perhaps the first customization you get to do will be free at the beginning of the game. Later on, I'm guessing there might be a shop where you can purchase more trainer type costumes at a price. Perhaps with different costumes, there might be different things unlocked specifically for that trainer type.

Guy

just a guy
Years
If we get trainer customization, then I can imagine there being a shop to purchase certain clothes or accessories, but also finding and unlocking little pieces along the way as well as receiving them as gifts from NPC's. The department store would be another great place to shop for new clothes and accessories too. There's also talk about using the pedometer on the 3DS to buy new outfits and accessories with Play Coins.

The only question is, are they actually going to go that far with this sort of feature, if it's even there to begin with? They can very well just allow us to choose our character design at the very start of the game and leave it at that. That's not out of the realm of possibility as great as an idea this is and as much as you could do with it.

Frankly, I'd be a little disappointed if they didn't try and go all out with it though.

Kaisersaur

Veteran
Years
I think the whole 3DS Spotpass and Streetpass will open a whole new lot of features. Maybe even for surprise trades, like leaving a pokemon to be traded not knowing what you'll receive after a streetpass, or receiving the mystery gifts or events directly from spotpass.

As I mentioned earlier, they have all they need to make a game worthy of praise and to change the general opinion of them running out of ideas for the design of pokemon or new features.

Black 2 and White 2 have left a pretty good taste (for me) and I would hate for them to screw up these games and then come out with Pokemon Z "fixing" the things they didn't deliver.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
We have to keep in mind however that it's impossible to balance a metagame full of 600+ creatures. While it would be nice to see some balancing; it just can't be done.

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2013
I am really disappointed in whoever creates/designs the new pokemon generations... Seriously what was up with some of the Black and White version pokemon?!
"Throh" for example... Its literally a rock karate person called throw.. or "Vanillite" Why would a pokemon be shaped like a human's food? That's just ridiculous and so is its uncreative name. "Klink" is another one, its a bunch of nuts (or whatever they are), another man-made object and it evolves and just gains more nuts?! Vanillite is the same is becomes an ice cream in a cone, then a double scoop ice cream... I just think that the creation of these pokemon was just lazy. (There are more but there is just too many..)

Anyway, I'm really hoping that the Pokemon in X and Y aren't as slack as some of the previous gen's. I mean there was some really good, cool new pokemon in the Unova region, Snivy for example was awesome, but some were just really disappointing.

After viewing the trailer for the new game I was annoyed that we didn't get to see the girl sprite very well. The whole trailer practically just followed the male character...

Also the starters.... The only decent starter is Fennekin. Chespin looks waaaay to much like a brown Oshawott in a hat.. and Froakie looks like a character out of a little kid's cartoon. Actually they all look a lot like little cute kiddie characters. I hope all of the new gen don't follow in suit.

The new legendaries though look amazing and I'm really glad they've worked on the battle scenes! It looks like now when a pokemon is attacked it actually looks like its been attacked. The battles look a lot more immersive.

I think it would be really cool if you were able to see/catch/battle pokemon from all the different gens in this game along with the new gen. Maybe if the different regions were open to you or if there were some just spread out in the wild, different pokemon from different gens available in different areas of the map.

Anyway .. That's my thoughts.......

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
I remembered I said that there's going to be a new 3D overworld soon to complement with the 3DS's 3D graphics when a guy posted this video on the forums. And now... it really happened. Nevertheless, I don't really like the overworld from the looks of it, but might like it if they still continue to work on it.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
We have to keep in mind however that it's impossible to balance a metagame full of 600+ creatures. While it would be nice to see some balancing; it just can't be done.

It can be done with the help of tiers and banning :3 I mean some metagames are p balanced now (or at least NU -mostly- was, before a few Pokemon left), and hopefully in this upcoming generation everything is still just as balanced! If not... THEN YAY BANS.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Speaking of competitiveness, what about this:

http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/blog/dir_english/?p=561

A new battle mechanism that allows your Pokémon to become even more powerful
when the bonds you share grow stronger.

This was confirmed to be a new battle mechanic... technically. Its probably not going to change competitive play (provided every pokemon is capable of the same bonuses), but it will make going through the storyline even easier than it already is. Maybe not?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I am really disappointed in whoever creates/designs the new pokemon generations... Seriously what was up with some of the Black and White version pokemon?!
"Throh" for example... Its literally a rock karate person called throw.. or "Vanillite" Why would a pokemon be shaped like a human's food? That's just ridiculous and so is its uncreative name. "Klink" is another one, its a bunch of nuts (or whatever they are), another man-made object and it evolves and just gains more nuts?! Vanillite is the same is becomes an ice cream in a cone, then a double scoop ice cream... I just think that the creation of these pokemon was just lazy. (There are more but there is just too many..)
If you have that much of a problem with Vanillite or anything in its evolutionary chain, go find James Turner and gripe at him. He designed it to be based on a Casteliacone - which is a new item in B/W.

Cyclone

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
Years

I am , in no way, trying to start a Gen fight but every Generation has "those" kinds of Pokemon. Magnemite just gains Extra heads. Muk/Voltorb/Electrode/magnemite/Exeggcute/ditto all fall in the same category as those you mentioned above. And if you want to talk about Uncreative pokemon names, look at the Japanese names of First Gen pokemon. Youll be amazed.

All I am saying is that There is nothing wrong with the new Gen pokemon's designs. Every Gen has pokemons people don't like.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
It'll be interesting to see what other new Pokémon there will be in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y apart from the starters and the main legendaries.

It'll be interesting to see if there will be character customization in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y like there was in Pokémon Battle Revolution. Knowing that we've seen something in the trailer that seems like there'll be character customization, especially with the rollerskates.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I'm starting to doubt we will have customation. Also the rollerskates could simply be the new running shoes, we have yet to have real proof.

Anywho do any of you think we'll get a demo version of X and Y down the road?

blue

gucci
Years
I'm starting to doubt we will have customation. Also the rollerskates could simply be the new running shoes, we have yet to have real proof.

Anywho do any of you think we'll get a demo version of X and Y down the road?

It definitely looks like he's skating down the street and if you listen closely you can hear the sound of roller skates.

We could get a couple of demos here and there a couple of weeks prior to the release date, they did it with HGSS so it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back