• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hacking DS games.

Crizzle

Legend
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 7, 2024
Do you guys believe that we'll ever be able to hack the DS games to the extent of GBA games?
Do you think that'll ever be possible?

Zenas

King of the Distortion World
Years
There already is but it's just time consuming

Last edited:

Crizzle

Legend
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 7, 2024
It already is but it's just time consuming

Ok, has anyone managed to make a true DS ROM hack(completely transforming/changing the game) that works? I've looked around but I haven't found one.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 24, 2015
Crizzle, my team and I are making a DS hack- it completely overhauls everything. We're making a custom game called Pokemon Cobalt and Amethyst.
If you look in the Beginners Lounge area of the ROM Hacking Hub, you should find it on the front page somewhere.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
One of the issues that Gen. IV hackers face is the editing of maps, which requires 3D modeling skills. It can make it very hard to get into. Not to mention the general lack of information available for beginners.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 24, 2015
One of the issues that Gen. IV hackers face is the editing of maps, which requires 3D modeling skills. It can make it very hard to get into. Not to mention the general lack of information available for beginners.

Luckily, I did get a few people who can do quite a bit of 3D modelling. It's been an intense time, so far! The progress is going incredibly well, too!

scotchkorean27

Programmer/Pastry Enthusiast
Years
The way I see it, the primary obstacles to doing that level of DS hacking are the maps and scripts.

The map thing is a pretty obvious problem. Gen 4 and 5 use 3D maps, which just requires an entirely different skillset from what GBA hacking asks of people.

As for scripting, the current tools that we have don't handle level scripts, and there are certain...idiosyncracies in the DS games (especially the Gen V games) that haven't quite been ironed out. I've been working on a Black hack for a bit, and Anville Town and Gear Station are just...weird. Very little about them makes sense.

So, to answer your question, I think it's very possible. We already have some great scripting and file import tools for the DS games, but it'll be a while until we get on the level of GBA hacking.

Years
Just go hack Black 2 and place Fairy type, and Mega Evolution.
I don't exactly get the point of this post. Yes, it could make Black 2 better and more modern, however, you do know how little research has been put into Gen 4/5 games, let alone Black 2, right?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 7, 2018
I've been passing this information along wherever I can, because I want Gen IV hacks to be more popular. I'm currently working on bring the level of skill required for mapping Gen IV down a bit. I'm creating templates and tilesets for SketchUp that allow you to create maps almost as easily as you would for Gen III. Obviously, it won't be any easier to create completely custom "tiles", but modifying tilesets won't be very difficult. It gets a little bit trickier when it comes to buildings and objects on the map, though I hope to be able to dumb that down a bit as well.

Is anyone currently working on scripting tools for Gen IV?

Fotomac

Genwunner and proud of it
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Wait a second, we're only now starting work on disassembly of DS games? Wondering because I'm disappointed that the potentially easiest and quickest way to create a Gen VI-style game (ROM hack or otherwise), from a disassembled Gen VI game, may not be possible any time soon, meaning we may be, for now, stuck with the long and, in my humble opinion, considerably more difficult task of creating games from scratch, or else creating, in my humble opinion, inferior-quality Gen VI fascimiles which I like to call Gen V.V games.

ETA: Would it be possible, using current methods, to disassemble a 3DS game? Because if and when I get back to work on Pokémon R3D and Green 3D, I may consider employing such a method as part of the game pair's creation. Personally, I think things will be easier for me in that regard if I already know what the code is that drives the engine, e.g. the battles, the evolutions, the HP bars, the opening sequence, etc.

Last edited:

FoundNlost

Shadow Master
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 10, 2022
Ok, has anyone managed to make a true DS ROM hack(completely transforming/changing the game) that works? I've looked around but I haven't found one.
That's a fair point; most of the DS rom hacks I find are just lazy like Pure White/Pitch Black where it just ups the difficulty of the game, not stuff like Pokemon Glazed or Ash Grey where they try to write a brand new storyline or something.

Back