• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Is it worth buying a 3DS to play this game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyRyder

'That Guy'
Years
Personally for me, if I didn't have a 3DS, I would buy one just for X and Y. If you've been following X and Y's development progress, you most likely have the hype to buy it without hesitation.

It really depends if you just outright want the game, or if you have the money to buy a 3DS which is still worth it without X and Y. (Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, etc.) And, the 3DS will still be a modern console for a long time. So you'll be playing it for awhile if you do plan on getting one.

If you're not too sure still, then I guess wait until the game launches and see what everyone thinks of it. It's definitely a perfect time to get back into Pokemon, seeing as this game is really revolutionary based on what I've seen at this point.

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
It's a question of money, for sure -- but now that the 3DS has been out for a long time, you can buy them for much less money than you could before, if that's a concern. Plus, since you mentioned you'd need to buy DS/DSi to play the older games, if you have the money, the 3DS makes more sense, because then you can play both the older gen IV/V games and the new one as well.

I recently bought the 3DS, and yes, I bought it in preparation for X & Y. For me, I would have probably bought one anyways, as my DS is starting to get pretty beat on -- it was a good purchase & lasted me a long time, and I used it heavily, so I feel like I would do the same with a 3DS.

Either way, you can't go wrong. It might be fun for you to be part of the excitement & frenzy over a new game when it first comes out, and X & Y will be crazy. But there are still very active communities playing ALL of the games (including even the oldest ones!) so if you get a gen IV/V game, you'll still have people to trade with & battle -- just probably not as large a number as the newest games.

Purple skies

Kittycanes777
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2023
I already have a 3DS right now and how I tell ya its very great to have I love the new festures that are on the consoul too heres my opinion on it I really love the console sooo much to play :]

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 8, 2014
If I were you, I would. I bought one when they first came out and have barely touched it, but I know that's all going to change when X/Y come out...

Years
I bought mine for Pokemon, and also because there are other cool games out there. I'd say it's probably gonna be worth it, especially considering future games will be made for 3DS but I'm not expecting too much of a future for the now-outdated DS.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I would not buy a DS, if I were you. You'll miss out on a lot of the community part of the game, if you play an old version of pokemon (which may have some wifi features like random wifi matches disabled) as opposed to a newer version.

Years
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
Since future Pokémon games will most likely be made for the 3ds(or future handheld consoles) I think we will get at least 3 Pokémon games for the 3ds.(Not including games such as Pokémon conquest and such). I think the 3ds will be a good investment if you're intrested in future Pokémon games. : )

toxictwinkie

Mini moose will rule you all
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2014
Since future Pokémon games will most likely be made for the 3ds(or future handheld consoles) I think we will get at least 3 Pokémon games for the 3ds.(Not including games such as Pokémon conquest and such). I think the 3ds will be a good investment if you're intrested in future Pokémon games. : )

This sums it up perfectly. Also, there are other great games to play too, like Luigi Mansion, Mario and Luigi Dream Team and soon Super Smash Bros C:

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2014
I literally 3 days ago just bought my 3DS XL for $150. Don't have a single game for it but I can't put it down. The whole home screen and apps they've added to this gen of handheld makes it enjoyable. I've downloaded some demos from the eShop. Including the mystery dungeons demo (it's pretty fun). I am actually about to go out and get the new Animal Crossing. Long story short, I went out to buy the 3DS to get ready for X and Y and I'm having more fun than expected in the meantime.

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2014
I think it is worth it. I just bought a 3DS 2 days ago in anticipation of Pokemon X/Y. The last Pokemon game I bought was Diamond like 6 years ago now. Black and White was way to underwhelming for me to get back into Pokemon, but X and Y looks like a keeper. I mean with every new trailer it keeps looking better and better.

Also there are plenty 3ds games, both released and upcoming, that are good titles. Either way it wouldn't be a waste.

Years
Well there are a lot of good games in 3DS other than Pokemon, but X/Y is obviously a system seller as many are considering buying 3DS just for Pokemon. It's your call I guess.

Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2014
Well I did it! I bought a 3DS, not an XL, I like the compact original that actually fits in my pocket nicely :) Like the good old gameboy color!!
It's midnight purple... that was the only color available in the store, its nice shade, I can rock it hahaha anyway.... Im off to preorder the new pokemon game..... just... X or Y....

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
This thread is kind of becoming a general 3DS thread, which doesn't really fit in with X/Y, so I'm going to close it. However, if you want to talk specifically about this game being worth it to buy a 3DS, perhaps discuss how good you'll think it be and how worth the purchase it would be in the X/Y Opinions thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back