• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokemon TRE2: Team Rocket Edition, The Revamped Episode

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
Ok, I was wondering if you just kind of "faked" a trainer battle. Sounds like that's essentially what's going on.

Yep. Switch to a trainer battle instead of wild battle when a horde battle appears, and add 3-6 of the original pokemon to the "enemy trainer" party. After that, it was a matter of determining when the game should run the trainer battle routine and when it should run the wild battle routine. Of course, I added in some extra 'in horde battle?' checks. for example, when certain text gets displayed or when it shows how many pokemon remain in the enemy's party.

Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2022
Thanks.

When you encounter a wild pokemon, the game will check to see if the pokemon is one that can appear in a horde. If it is, then there will be ~10% chance of the pokemon appearing in a horde. Then, the amount of pokemon in the horde will randomly be either 34, 5, or 6. There is an even chance for each value.

The game's battle routines will treat the battle like a trainer battle for certain aspects, and like a wild battle for other aspects.

Wow, you're a genuis. I can't wait to play this game.

But why amount of pokemon has equal chances? Isn't hard enough to handle 3 wild pokemon? Maybe hordes with 5 to 6 pokemon's chance can be lower. But that's my opinion. You're the boss, hehe.

Years
Nice, horde encounters. Progress is going really well, as I can see, can't wait to actually play it.

But I have a question about those new items. What are they going to be? Will you implement Choice Band/Specs/Scarf, Life Orb, Eviolite and other newer generation battle items? Or are those going to be new evolutionary stones and custom items?

Oh and yeah, what about Physical/Special/Status Split? It would be really cool to see it in a hack like this. Only if it's not too hard for you of course...

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
Nice, horde encounters. Progress is going really well, as I can see, can't wait to actually play it.

But I have a question about those new items. What are they going to be? Will you implement Choice Band/Specs/Scarf, Life Orb, Eviolite and other newer generation battle items? Or are those going to be new evolutionary stones and custom items?

Oh and yeah, what about Physical/Special/Status Split? It would be really cool to see it in a hack like this. Only if it's not too hard for you of course...

I won't be adding any items from future gens, they are all items that I have created myself. Some new items are new medicines, new pokeballs, and other key items. I'm also getting rid of evo stones. I don't want to give out too many details just yet though!

Also, I do plan on implementing the physical/special split, I just haven't yet. Some other Red hacks, like Maize and Red++, have already done so! What do you mean by status split?

Wow, you're a genuis. I can't wait to play this game.

But why amount of pokemon has equal chances? Isn't hard enough to handle 3 wild pokemon? Maybe hordes with 5 to 6 pokemon's chance can be lower. But that's my opinion. You're the boss, hehe.

Thanks. I'll have to double check the chances for each, but you're right I will make the smaller hordes slightly more common than larger ones

Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2022
Since they are a team... Will there be characters following the main character? Like Pokemon Yellow. Jessie and James together or just Meowth behind you... Maybe when we talk to Meowth, he could say something funny.

Do you plan to use quotes from them? When blacked out, they might say "team rocket blasting off again".

Just a suggestion, hehe.

Years
Physical/Special/Status split is just the same as Physical/Special split lol just a lit longer naming version of it. You see moves like Toxic or Leer are considered as status and not physical, nor special.

But that means you will have Special Attack and Special Defense separated, not only Special right? Because there's no Sp.Atk and Sp.Def base stats in Generation I, it's just called Special.

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
Since they are a team... Will there be characters following the main character? Like Pokemon Yellow. Jessie and James together or just Meowth behind you... Maybe when we talk to Meowth, he could say something funny.

Do you plan to use quotes from them? When blacked out, they might say "team rocket blasting off again".

Just a suggestion, hehe.

I will probably be using some team rocket quotes, but unfortunately you will travel through Aster solo. Meowth isn't the only possible starter, and Jessie will act as a rival, although you are working on the same missions at times. Also just saw your signature! Thanks for the link!

Physical/Special/Status split is just the same as Physical/Special split lol just a lit longer naming version of it. You see moves like Toxic or Leer are considered as status and not physical, nor special.

But that means you will have Special Attack and Special Defense separated, not only Special right? Because there's no Sp.Atk and Sp.Def base stats in Generation I, it's just called Special.

Ohh duh. I planned on separating special into special attack and special defense, but there isn't enough room in the pokemon data size in the ram to fit all that is needed, so I decided it is too much of a hassle. I will probably end up averaging special with attack or defense for the special attacks

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
I can't wait for this! First gen hacks are my favourite.

This particular hack looks something special.

Thanks!

For an update:

I added in the new types (finally) and the new type chart, etc. I also added in the feature to update certain type attacks damage based upon the environment, time of day, etc. No videos to show for this, but that a big addition that I am glad I finally included (that was the only that I announced that wasn't actually in the game yet).

Here is a quick teaser for the next update, (since this update is kind of boring/lacks screenshots and videos):
One way that the attack damage gets modified is based upon the pokemon's special Ability.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Check out the website to see the type chart and which pokemon have a given type

I suggest making a type chart in this kind of format:
Spoiler:

It's annoying to click on each individual type to see what it's weak/strong against. Plus, I just forget the information as soon as I click on another type.

Nice update, though! I'm curious about the damage multipliers. For example, do water moves do more damage in the water-related environment, or is it just for certain attacks?

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
I suggest making a type chart in this kind of format:
Spoiler:

It's annoying to click on each individual type to see what it's weak/strong against. Plus, I just forget the information as soon as I click on another type.

Nice update, though! I'm curious about the damage multipliers. For example, do water moves do more damage in the water-related environment, or is it just for certain attacks?

I actually do have a type chart already like that (since I plan everything out using a massive Excel sheet). So I can just pretty up the cells and take a snapshot of it.
I guess I will update the site tonight with the latest type chart, since I have nothing better to do.

For the damage multipliers, it's simply a matter of the attack type matching whatever type is linked to the environment (so water environments will increase water type attack damage, grass environment will increase grass type attacks, cave will increase Earth, Night time will increase Cosmic attacks, etc)

I guess it will make sense to produce a list of what types get boosted/reduced based upon the environment, but there are still some environments that I haven't announced yet, so I won't reveal that just yet.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I actually do have a type chart already like that (since I plan everything out using a massive Excel sheet). So I can just pretty up the cells and take a snapshot of it.
I guess I will update the site tonight with the latest type chart, since I have nothing better to do.

For the damage multipliers, it's simply a matter of the attack type matching whatever type is linked to the environment (so water environments will increase water type attack damage, grass environment will increase grass type attacks, cave will increase Earth, Night time will increase Cosmic attacks, etc)

I guess it will make sense to produce a list of what types get boosted/reduced based upon the environment, but there are still some environments that I haven't announced yet, so I won't reveal that just yet.

Cool, I like it that way.

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
Here's another big update:

First off, I added in the physical/special split for attack. I also modified the way the game handles calculates damage for special attacks. Instead of solely comparing the Special of both Pokemon, it compares the average of Special+Attack and average of Special+Defense. This is my way of incorporating Special attack/Defense.

As I mentioned in the previous update, pokemon will have special Abilities, that can affect the battle. I only created 25 abilities (and am still in the process of actually implementing them), but here is the list:

Cold Blooded
Early Bird
Flame Body
Flying Dragon
Headpiece
Ill Tempered
Invisible
Invisible Wall
Money Finder
Nocturnal
Photosynthesis
Poison Skin
Porous
Predator
Recharge
Regenerative
See Through
Sharp Mind
Sleepwalk
Slicer
Stench
Swimmer
Telepathic
Tough Skin
Venomous

More details about the abilities will be announced soon!

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 7, 2014
I just signed up here to say how pumped I am for this game. Everything looks so evolved compared to the original game so it's going to be hard to recognize everything when it's finally released. I love everything about it and I just thought it would be nice to share my enthusiasm about your work. Keep it up!

Do you have an estimated guess on how long it will take before the game is finalized and will it be playable on original hardware using for instance an Everdrive GB?

Bill Cipher

Call me Fuxydia~!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 3, 2016
This looks amazing.

I'm not even kidding, you've changed and edited so much, it could easily be passed as an original title.

Well done, Best of Luck for the future updates!

Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2023
This looks amazing.

I'm not even kidding, you've changed and edited so much, it could easily be passed as an original title.

Well done, Best of Luck for the future updates!

Thank you!

I just signed up here to say how pumped I am for this game. Everything looks so evolved compared to the original game so it's going to be hard to recognize everything when it's finally released. I love everything about it and I just thought it would be nice to share my enthusiasm about your work. Keep it up!

Do you have an estimated guess on how long it will take before the game is finalized and will it be playable on original hardware using for instance an Everdrive GB?

Thanks!

So far, it seems to run the same on my gameboy flash cart as it does in the emulator, but all of my testing is done on the emulator so there might be some differences on the flash cart.

For a release estimate, its hard to say. Some weeks, everything goes as planned. Other weeks, I run into difficulty with a seemingly simple feature, and that ends up taking the entire week.

It will be released sometime in the second half of 2015.

Looks like the best 1 gen hack so far

Thanks!

Sorry for the lack of updates everyone, it's been a busy month at work and I kind of burned myself out in the previous weeks from working heavily on the hack.

So my only new announcement is the addition of a Special Defense and Special Attack stat split. I mentioned previously that I had a work around by combining the Special stat with the Attack or Defense stat, to come up with a faux Special Attack/Defense, but was talked out of it. This new stat is almost fully implemented, I just need to finish a few things and then make sure everything works as planned.

Expect a new video once I add in some of the remaining new battle features! (Probably by early next month)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2023
One question: this hack will be only playable on your website or also with an emulator like other roms? (i hope for the second)

Back