• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen [Spoiler]Move tutors

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
According to Serebii, the move tutors are making a comeback. They are as follows:
-elemental punches (Fire/Thunder/Ice Punch)
-Gunk Shot
-Low Kick
-Dual Chop
-Seed Bomb
-Uproar
-Super Fang
-Iron Head
-Signal Beam
-Bounce
-Drill Run
-Bug Bite
-Covet

Like in Platinum, all of the moves listed above cost shards to teach.

Discuss! What are your thoughts of the current tutor lineup?

To answer it: I saw the elemental punches coming. It's also good to see some of the older Pt/HG/SS tutor moves back, like Bug Bite, Signal Beam and Seed Bomb. The shocker here (IMO) was Drill Run. I think GF included it because of its small level-up distribution.

Last edited:

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
More announced;

Last Resort, Iron defense, Magnet Rise, Magic Coat, Block, Hyper Voice, Electroweb, Icy Wind, Iron Tail, Aqua Tail, Earth Power, Zen Headbutt, Foul Play, Superpower, Gravity, Dragon Pulse and Dark Pulse.

Blue Shards are needed. I'm glad that Superpower, Earth Power, etc are on there! <3 Competitive battling is going to be upgraded a bit.

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
Years
YES!!! They heard our appeals that we need these tutoring moves to return!! Now the Unova Pokemon movepool will DRAMATICALLY increase! I can't wait for the games to be released in the US this fall! But the new Gen V move such as Drill Run as a tutoring move? Best idea ever because it may serve as an alternative to Earthquake as this move does not hurt the ally/allies in Double/Triple battles, despite having less power and accuracy than Earthquake.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Eeeeeeeeee~~ <333
I like, legit can't wait. This makes me so happy that they're fought back. Talking about kicking up the competitive field again!

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
It is very good to hear that move tutors have returned in B2/W2 with moves that were previously available. I hope moves like Stealth Rock and Giga Drain/Drain Punch become available as well.

n o

Then everyone will have it again and everything will just be a mess! ):

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
More tutor moves!
-Drain Punch
-Giga Drain
-Roost
-Sky Attack
-Role Play
-Heat Wave
-Pain Split
-Tailwind
-Knock Off
-Synthesis

My prayers have been answered! :D (Giga Drain, Drain Punch, Roost)

Last edited:
Years
Im liking a lot of these, glad to see Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse, Giga Drain, Drain Punch and Roost back although Gliscor with Roost will be a pain (Providing he can learn it). Also Heat wave and Roost will be nice for people wanting to use Lightning Rod Zapdos (Now only if he got Hurricane for the ultimate rain abuser)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
As I said in CBC, I'm pleased by Superpower n_n Everything else is pretty good too. I like that they put them in. I never really paid much attention to move tutors in previous games, and it'll be nice to see them in the upcoming games!

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
Years
It's nice to see that a lot of the moves are ones that make certain Pokemon more useful. For one, no doubt Lilligant will get a nice collection of these Move Tutor moves to bolster her move pool-- hopefully, she'll get access to Earth Power. Though I reckon a lot of people would scream at me saying "NO!" for how demonic she would become to Fire-types, with a couple Butterfly Dances under her crown... lol

I'm glad Steath Rocks, so far haven't made a return through the Tutors. I never liked the move, 'cause it just causes way too much damage to Pokemon with weaknesses to Rock-types. In my opinion, it needs to be nerfed if they plan on bringing it back as a TM or something. Traps are fine, but when a trap can completely decimate your Pokemon like that, its a little ridiculous.

The Elemental Punches have been in every Move Tutor list since the Move Tutors began, I believe. So they were a given. I'd have been surprised if they weren't the first to be brought up in this thread.

Years
Here's some more that were just announced
Magic Room, Wonder Room, Spite, Recycle, Trick, Stealth Rock, Endeavor, Skill Swap, Worry Seed, Gastro Acid, Outrage, Helping Hand, After You, Endeavor, Sleep Talk, Snatch.

Looks like SR has made a comback

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Here's some more that were just announced
Magic Room, Wonder Room, Spite, Recycle, Trick, Stealth Rock, Endeavor, Skill Swap, Worry Seed, Gastro Acid, Outrage, Helping Hand, After You, Endeavor, Sleep Talk, Snatch.

Looks like SR has made a comback

SR's back?! Awesome; I kind of saw that coming too; it saves me time of having to teach Turtwig Stealth Rock and Leech Seed in Gen IV, transfer it over then breed it with Ferroseed. And it's good to see Outrage, Trick and Sleep Talk come back too. I can't help but imagine DD MoxieMence sweep OU with impunity...

Years
Wow didnt notice Sleep Talk, good news for cofagrigus. DD Mence has definly got a boost now with aceess to DD, Outrage and Roost but I still dont see it overtaking Dnite.

Cid

Years
And so Stealth Rock is back. I didn't mind Stealth Rock in DPPt (not sure about BW since I only battle occasionally) but it can be a pain-in-the-neck if used against you. It nerfed a good amount of Pokémon solely on being Rock-weak. As shaky as I am with its return, I really didn't expect it to go otherwise. Better look at who gets what from now on, what with the compatibility problems of abilities and moves across generations being lessened.

As for the other moves, I'm happy with Roost and the draining moves. I love those.
Lastly, Lilligant has to benefit from the B2W2 move tutors! I command it.

Last edited:
Years
I really love the move lineup... some of these moves had very little distribution until now.

So, the moves we have so far:
Spoiler:

Wow, so many former TM moves among this set. This will really change competitive battling strategies.

The Elemental Punches are staples so they had to return.

With all the awesome moves in this set I'm gonna get all the shards I want so I can teach these awesome moves to my Pokemon!

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
Years
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I love all these new move tutor moves, especially:
Fire/Thunder/Ice Punch
Dragon/Dark Pulse
Earth Power
Drain Punch
Giga Drain
Seed Bomb
Signal Beam
Iron Head
Superpower
Heat Wave
Sky Attack

Can't wait for the US release now.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
Years
I should really have seen that coming... xD; Oh well. Guess every team will now competitively be obligated to have an SR user, Rapid Spinner and Ghost-type Rest Talker as standard.

Though seriously, I'm a little curious to see which Pokemon will be able to learn these Move Tutor moves. In particular, what Pokemon will be able to learn Heat Wave, since if I recall, quite a few interesting Pokemon were capable of learning it in Gen. IV, such as Honchkrow and Zapdos. Perhaps Swoobat and Sigilyph will be two specific Pokemon that are likely to get access to it; likely along with Zoroark.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
According to Serebii, the move tutors are making a comeback. They are as follows:
-elemental punches (Fire/Thunder/Ice Punch)
-Gunk Shot
-Low Kick
-Dual Chop
-Seed Bomb
-Uproar
-Super Fang
-Iron Head
-Signal Beam
-Bounce
-Drill Run
-Bug Bite
-Covet

Like in Platinum, all of the moves listed above cost shards to teach.

Discuss! What are your thoughts of the current tutor lineup?

To answer it: I saw the elemental punches coming. It's also good to see some of the older Pt/HG/SS tutor moves back, like Bug Bite, Signal Beam and Seed Bomb. The shocker here (IMO) was Drill Run. I think GF included it because of its small level-up distribution.

(@XanderO: if this breaks the rules, sorry about that)

Nope, you did the right thing cause we didn't have a discussion open for Move Tutors~

YES!!! They heard our appeals that we need these tutoring moves to return!! Now the Unova Pokemon movepool will DRAMATICALLY increase! I can't wait for the games to be released in the US this fall! But the new Gen V move such as Drill Run as a tutoring move? Best idea ever because it may serve as an alternative to Earthquake as this move does not hurt the ally/allies in Double/Triple battles, despite having less power and accuracy than Earthquake.

Tutors always appear in the "third" game so it was an expected feature they added.

I myself am a little disappointed Stealth Rock returned since its highly abusable. Although it being a Shard tutor is a good thing cause now its about even with its old TM version. There is a cost and depending on how easy it is to find shards (if its as hard as heart scales kill me now) Stealth Rock won't be too much of a major issue.

What I'm really excited to see is Dark Pulse...if Deino can learn it through Move tutor I will be breeding the hell out of mine for Earth Power and Dark Pulse ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Back