The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:15 PM
Muse
'The Underdog Trainer'

So I was driving home today, thinking about how 'everybody dislikes/hates/loathes OT fanfictions that follow the game plot too closely' when all of a sudden I get this random idea!

What if people in the game could interact with the person playing the game? Like...Blue from Pokemon Blue talking to the person playing the game and everything!

Yeah! I just thought this idea was really cool and was wondering if anyone had any ideas to toss in. I can't seem to work on only one fanfic at once, so... The only idea I've had for it was how it would work. Like...there's a new gadget for the Gameboy that reprograms it into being super-duper interactive and voice activated and stuff.

So, feel free to toss in an idea or two! '

Version: Diamond

Wanted
Slowpoke, Magnemite
Offering
Spiritomb, Feebas, Murkrow, Cranidos, Stunky, etc.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:48 PM
Orange_Flaaffy
Crystal Bell Keeper

Send a message via AIM to Orange_Flaaffy
I've seen a few fics like this, with the whole 'character talks to the author' sort of thing and it does not work in fanfic as well as it does in say, a game or comic book.

The old She-Hulk comic use to talk to the author and the reader often, it was really funny, but it would take alot of work to pull such a plot off in written form only...

And given how long pokemon has been around many of the best 'odd things that don't make sense in the game' jokes have already been done...

Vampiric pokémorphs and the Nurse Joy who must love them.
Old June 26th, 2006, 09:21 AM
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Agreed. And even if it's not "odd things that just happen in the game" jokes, it's usually "author/gamer pretends they're God" jokes where characters get smited and whatnot. It was funny the first time I've seen it, but then after that... Eh.

Although I don't think I've seen a "player acts as the character's imaginary friend" fanfiction before. And that would be kind of funny.

Need some light reading?
Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
Old June 26th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Muse
'The Underdog Trainer'

I don't mean like 'character talks to author' stuff. Wow, that has been overused. Funny the first time, but now...Bleh. More like what Kazeto said about it. "Player acts as the character's imaginary friend." More like that! If it was done right, that is...>>

Version: Diamond

Wanted
Slowpoke, Magnemite
Offering
Spiritomb, Feebas, Murkrow, Cranidos, Stunky, etc.
Old July 10th, 2006, 08:01 PM
KamonPedro
Jedi Squirrel

Send a message via AIM to KamonPedro
Hmmm... To be honest, it seems a bit corny. The whole, guy-playing-a-game-and-interacting-with-the-character genre seems really...just...lame. No offense meant at all, I just feel that it's far more satisfying to read about characters that seem real...reading about a character playing a character in a game, and acting as their imaginary friend, makes it seem so artificial.

Granted, if it was pulled off well, I wouldn't mind reading it. Heck, mebbe you can change my opinion :D.
Old July 11th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Sakura
flowery

Nature: Impish
Depends on how you write it. I've seen the idea too many times to count and it doesn't faze me as much..but if you do it right, I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong~

-Mikuru ♥
Old July 11th, 2006, 02:57 PM
~Ozy~
PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ~Ozy~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Ozy~
Why not flip-flop it, write it where the random trainer has an imaginay friend from a world without Pokemon?

"Your Grace, all that you say is true. On the Trident, Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought honorably, Rhaegar fought nobly, and Rhaegar died.
Old July 11th, 2006, 03:05 PM
EmeraldSky
Make the Colors in the Sky!

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Yahoo to EmeraldSky
I'd be more than glad to attempt to do that! (I'd just be a voiceover, while Ash is the game character)

Diamond FC: 1977 8991 5041 Will trade and battle

Like to RP? Come join us at http://rpforum.niceboard.net/forum.htm
Old July 11th, 2006, 09:05 PM
ProtrainerEon
Ultimate Trainer

Send a message via AIM to ProtrainerEon
I have an idea. What if the Pokemon was confused because the player and game character were fighting over which move it should use?

Example:

Grovyle leapt forward, the cut attack it had been practicing ready to be put to the test. Duncan called out, "No Grovyle, use quick attack against Linoone!"

(NO use cut!)

"Quick attack!"

(CUT!)

Grovyle drew itself back, then forward with quick attack, back, then forward with cut again. This was getting too confusing. Who to obey?

[PM me for my e-mail!]

PC Cousin: Hayate
PC Brother: Banov
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links