• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Is it crazy that I never used EXP Share?

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jan 16, 2016
I loved using Exp share on pokemon I didn't feel like using until they were further evolved.

It's fun keeping the first Pokemon a Charizard lvl 50 and leveling up little guys like Caterpie lvl 8 with experience share. Try a whole low-level team with 1 level 50. They gain so much experience, evolve and learn moves in no time.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
I enjoyed using it on my first run it made sure most of my pokes were of equal level but i didnt use it on my first run and trust me its more challenging without it so try it like that if your up for a *little* challenge.

Reactions: Sun
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
I didn't really use it for my main team since I didn't want them overleveled. And I only wanted the Pokémon I used to get exp in a battle.

I did use it to evolve my pc box pokemon to fill up my pokedex.

I'd take my Yveltal and hoarde hunt, use a move to knock out all 5 in one hit, then get 3-5 levels on my Combee or Electrike.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
In Y, I used it, because I didn't care if it made me overleveled and made the game too easy.
In OR, I kept it off initially, then I got really fed up at being too underleveled, that I kinda gave up on the game after the 7th badge. The water routes + being undereleveled sucked.

Lexatom

Blockbuster Advocate
Years
I personally used the Exp. Share since I thought the game would be too difficult to play without it on. However, just because you don't have it on doesn't mean that's a bad thing. It's your adventure, not mine. You choose what you want to do. That's what makes Pokemon great, isn't it?

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
Years
I used it off and on in X, but I think I won't be using it in whatever upcoming game(s) we get for the remainder of Gen 6. I liked it better when the EXP Share could only be used on one Pokemon at a time, but not so much of your entire team getting EXP Points all at once. This is gonna sound really weird, but it feels like I'm having quality time with each Pokemon when I train them one at a time.

Raskolnikov

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
My advice is do not use it if you want real challenges in-game, unless you wanna overpower the in-game trainers and bashing how easy the whole game is.

I thought like that too so I don't use Exp. Share in main story. The pokémon gains exps even you don't use it in battle. Don't you all think that sounds unfair? Harder the game, funnier to play in my opinion.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I thought like that too so I don't use Exp. Share in main story. The pokémon gains exps even you don't use it in battle. Don't you all think that sounds unfair? Harder the game, funnier to play in my opinion.

One of the good things from the new Exp. Share mechanic is allowing the player to rotate teams easily, in a similar fashion like how Ash from the anime series does. :)

But still, it's a fun and better experience to play without the Exp. Share on.

GilliTheFabulous

Shiny Hunter, Collector, and Breeder
Years
One of the good things from the new Exp. Share mechanic is allowing the player to rotate teams easily, in a similar fashion like how Ash from the anime series does. :)

But still, it's a fun and better experience to play without the Exp. Share on.

I agree with this. The new Exp. Share is very useful for those who don't want to have to grind up all of their mons one by one, less time spent grinding and more time spent exploring. Plus it stops you from having that one team with a level 45 starter and level 30 everything else.

However for any form of challenge, turn it off. It makes the game much easier and removes the challenge from the game. But do turn it on for grinding those level 2 zigzags that you just received from wondertrade.

Reactions: Sun

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
I became very reliant on the new Exp Share mechanics in XY. Not only was it helpful to keep my least-used Pokemon relevant, but it was convenient for power-leveling Pokemon. I brought in a team of elite Wailord to Le Wow and used Exp Share to power-level the other three team members.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I never use it in my main playthrough. Takes the fun out of it for me, because part of what I enjoy the most about playing through the games is giving attention to each individual Pokemon and taking the time to help each of them grow--leveling up my Pokemon without even once using them in battle kind of takes away from that :c

I've recently started using it a bit more, but only after I've beaten the Elite Four, and only when I need to level up a few Pokemon in order to complete the Pokedex.

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
Years
I love exp share. It makes the game easier but otherwise it's much harder and slower to train underleveled pre-evolved Pokemon. The current EXP share is definitely cheap and I prefer it in previous gens, but it is what it is~

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
In regular play I like to turn on the gen6 EXP share because I like to destroy things in regular play.

Nowadays, when I Nuz, I sometimes, turn it on, sometimes don't. The thing about Nuzlockes is that it's supposed to be hard, so overgrinding in it is plain cheap IMO. It also caused me to permabox my Azumarill as it caused her to get overlevelled ;-;.

Years
I personally used the EXP Share a lot, and I regret doing so. As previously mentioned, it really makes it so that you basically overpower the NPC's. I plan on restarting my game so that I can experience what it's like without the EXP Share. I definitely would prefer a challenge because the EXP Share made things a lot easier, and I didn't realize that until my friend decided against using it.

So no, I don't think it's weird at all. It's personal preference, really. But as the others said, if you're looking for a challenge, turn it off. :)

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
The Exp Share is definitely growing on me lately. It's a godsend when it comes to mass evolving Pokemon in order to complete the Pokedex. I basically just grab 3 or 4 Pokemon that need to level up to evolve, challenge the Elite Four, and often times they're all evolved once I beat the champion, and if not they're close to it. I'd still never use it during one of my main playthroughs, but for leveling up post-game, I don't know what I'd do without it.

Years
It's great and terrible at the same time. On the one hand keeping your entire team competent has never been easier. on the other... I just started my first playthrough as well and i'm Trolling this game hardcore. way too easy.. I'm at my 7th gym and my whole team is 59-65

Magistrum

☆The Fakemon Magister☆
Years
I played Y with it turned on throughout my playthrough. IMO it's a really handy thing to have and considering the Kalos dex has a really big selection of pokemon, you could rotate your party which I've honestly never done in the past games. In my playthrough I essentially have around 15 pokemon in my party, excluding a Linoone which is always on the 6th slot acting as my HM slave + pickup mon.

It was crazy tho, because by the time I finally got past victory road to to temporarily box Linoone and challenge the Elite Four, it was already around lv82 which was already giving me heart scales, evo stones and max revives, haha.

DarkSkys

Still Alone, Still Alive, Still Unbroken
Years
The EXP Share is more of a 50/50 item with me. In older games I used it to bring lower lvl Pokémon to the same lvl as my higher ones. But with it effecting the entire team now, I only use with lvling up Pokémon to evolve while my lvl 100s battle.

Back