• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokemon Indigo League

A few questions about the camera (fill out after you try the newest beta)

• Total voters

RM2K3kid

Insane..
Years
Looks awesome. I had a go at isometric pokemon tiles I had no luck with it though. Yours look great :D

Years
Hey mate, thanks for the compliment :) I was beginning to wonder if anyone still cared about this game.
There was a fair bit of work involved in making those buildings, but my real challenges are isometric landscape tiles.. Some of the landscape tiles I'll be making will be an isometric rock-wall, iso fences and possibly an iso ledge (the ledge requires some heavy script work). They all have normal counter-parts, I'm just trying to make the maps fit the movement system a little better. I really hate only using right-angles, it seems way too man-made..
The game progress is ready to continue (I'd reached a point where I needed to consult a few people and decide how best to go about making the next part of the game, and how people would react to the way gameplay unfolds) because it's nearly time to start working on the 3rd episode.
To do still in the 2nd episode:
*Rockets blast off & balloon scene
*Ash encounters Caterpie

Here is a little update on the spearow-chase scene, you'll notice the spearows in the bottom left corner of the screen.
Please tell me whether you think it's better this way or having the OW's swoop.

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2012
Hai, your project is very interesting. I remember watching first episodes when I was child, It would be nice to play such game;)

Years
Hmm.. Ok maybe that wasn't the best idea, I'm gonna change it back so that the spearow overworlds chase you..
Thank you very much for the comments you 2 guys, but there clearly isn't consistent interest in this project, so I'm gonna put it on hiatus for a little while.. I've got some more problems now and I just need to concentrate on them at the moment, maybe in a while I'll be able to spend some time on Indigo League.. It just takes too much out of me to sprite/map/event/script atm, sorry..
Btw, in case anyone didn't realize, Indigo League was the name given to the original season of Pokemon aired in the US (and in Australia).. I thought it would be a suitable title, and it has attracted a lot of thread views, but not many who respond... Whats the problem?
Ok so feel free to let this thread sink to the bottom of the pile, please don't try to keep it alive with a small post, I'll update it when I'm ready to.

FlaafyFTW

Researcher of Orange Lore
Years
Ah i've had quite a few problems lately as well, but i hope it gets better for you Meerkat, and just come back and work on the game when you feel liek it :) There's no rush at all as its your project - and a great one at that!

HeavyOctillery

Locked & Loaded
Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2018
Meh, no sense in stressing yourself. :P Take your time.

Don't give up on it, though.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
I actually think this is an interesting and worthwhile project.
The only reason I don't follow it too much, is because I, personally, think you haven't put enough
effort in to the graphics. That's what always makes me wanna play a game.

And also, I am too working on a game based on the first Anime Season of Pokemon, so
I feel like I don't wanna encourage my rival, xD

But I really don't think you should give up just because everybody doesn't always seem interested.
Sometimes, maybe they simply don't have anything to say right then.

But if you really believe you want to take pause, by all means do.
You shouldn't do something if you think it's tiresome or don't have time.
If you do, it never turns out good, and you'll have to redo it later anyway, xD

But still.
I think people support this project even if, like me, they're to lazy to show it, xD

I really hope this game continues.
So by all means, Good Luck!
But just wait 'til my Anime-game gets here!! xD

Cheerz~

Years
I was having thoughts of releasing a demo of what the game is like with the starterkit.. Maybe I'll make a demo I'm not sure..
The game is currently undergoing massive changes, I've decided to put Pokemon Essentials Starter-Kit in the bin.. It was what I had originally envisioned for the game, but I just don't want this game to fall into the same category as any other fan-game.
I've come up with a new battle system that will change the whole feel of the game, and I've also modified an already-excellent engine for displaying the map (it will incorporate the 8-way movement in a unique way ;)). This time I know we will stand out here!
Of course all of the maps will stay relatively the same and the storyline still hasn't changed, we're making the pokemon series in a game here.
A couple of things are going to need to be slowly scripted in (like the pokedex, menu's and message windows) due to the binning of the starter-kit, but I'm cool with it.. You know any offers to help would be greatly appreciated, but I have the power to do it myself and I will continue to prove it if necessary.
Currently we're still testing for lag, and I'm working on the battle system, and this is indeed a setback but it's provided a much better experience so far.
You just wait till I show a screen of the new engine ;)

Years
Demo Release

I've decided on releasing a demo, Please report any bugs you find.
I'll make some screens of the engine when I've finished a few more things, I need to make some sprites after I do some more editing to the battle system so maybe next week sometime I'll be ready.. Depends how busy I am at work :/
The demo includes some scenes I haven't shown and it goes all the way up to Viridian city, any criticism is welcome but please try to make it constructive.
I would have preferred to release a demo with at least the first gym, but I reached some issues with episode 3 and decided to lose the starter-kit. I may end up finishing the starter-kit version at some point, depending on what people think of the new engine and battle system, but this won't be for some months I'd think. [/Rant]

Download
Pokemon_Indigo_League_Demo.zip (Mirrors (7): RapidShare, NetLoadIn, zShare, FileFactory, DepositFiles, Badongo, and 2Shared)

PatJamma

From the ashes
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 8, 2022
YAY!!!!!!!! Im going to play this right away!!! I'll be sure to report any bugs!

EDIT: uhhh its very buggy. 1. the animated intro doesnt show up (blank screen) but can still be heard, 2. when you choose new game it show a maril which is a 2nd gen pokemon, 3. blank screen when what would be the sceen where ash is watching TV, and worst of all 4. it makes my computer very unresposnive when i played it. i can live with 1-3 but please make the game more stable

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 4, 2011
I'm still in the beginning but I have had the problem of the videos not playing, though can hear them.
also when the videos are supposed to be playing you can still hear the game music.
In ash's house some of the walls can be walked through and his mom walks through them. His mom also walks at a super fast speed

Unlke PatJamm though, my computer is fine while the game is running.

Edit: new bug, if you lose aagainst the group of spearows when you go back the misty event doesn't play and you get a black screen
Edit2: After finishing the demo I haven't found any more bugs.

Last edited:
Years
Thanks for reporting those bugs, I was un-aware there was any problem with the videos, in fact I had to do a lot of work to get them playing anyway, I don't know what happened.. I am opposed to using videos anyway so they will most likely be replaced with cut-scenes or just removed.
PatJamma, I know maril's a 2nd gen pokemon but it doesn't really matter because it's not being used on any kanto maps (the Title screen and WTP also feature 2nd and 3rd gen pokemon). To me, this still represents the Pokemon series as a whole.
But it's good to hear what people like and don't like about it.
I can't really do anything about your PC, but I'm only running it with 2Gb of ram and an ex-government PC (so it's very old) and it works fine for me.

Ryu, thanks for your info. The hero's mom (at home) was only added as a last minute alteration and was un-tested. (Thanks for picking that up though). Which wall is she walking through? You should only be able to walk under the tops of walls, it is a technique that I have used in some games, it merely provides more floor space (the wall should show up on-top of the npcs/player).
I thought I'd fixed that spearow battle problem.. It should have reset the events.. Nevermind..
Anyway, I'm going to have to change a lot of stuff when I convert over to the new project so it will probably be easier to plan it this time.
I'm still having teething problems with the battle system but I'm sure it's going to come good in the end.

Years
  • Seen Jun 4, 2011
It's the wall in front of the Kitchen, specifically the area of the wall with a TV Screen(I think that's what that is) on it.
Outside of the bugs I''m loving this. I find the WTP an especially interesting feature.

Years
I'm going to release a public beta of the map engine soon and there will be a poll so I need you all to vote. The poll relates to 4-directional or 8-directional buildings. First I should explain about the map engine, I think I would be crucified for calling it "3d" but it does emulate a 3rd-person "camera-view" using MGC's excellent mode7 in a unique way.
There's 360 degrees of rotation and about 80 degrees of vertical angle using the keys "wasd", you can zoom in and out with "q" and "e". The engine supports animated tiles (which is mainly good for water tiles, but it does make the flowers look better too)
Now back to the 4/8-dir buildings.. It looks much smoother with 4 directional buildings because at any vertical angle they look pretty good, but the iso sprites needed for 8-directional buildings don't look right at low vertical angles.. I'm trying one last sprite from scratch to match an angle that centers in the best range to display at all angles, if it doesn't work then I will just use boring 4-direcional sprites for buildings, but hey, the building can face 4 ways too so towns can look very different from other games. On the other hand, if it works out, then the game will look much better and have 2x more depth, but it will take me about 6 or 7x as long to sprite all those horrible iso sprites.
New iso sprites I've already made include an iso-ledge and 2 iso-fences.. Yay it's all coming together. :D
I don't want to talk up the battle system because it's not really a priority until the map engine can prove it's worth, but I have tested that it's working with the engine and made some major alterations to test it's potential.
It is an ABS, no less than the great Mr. Mo's ABS, and if you recall it had npc vs npc combat which will play a major part in this battle system. I don't want to give too much away because I haven't even started a lot of the things I've planned for this battle system, but I will tell you that it's realtime (I felt the pauses involved with turn-based would be far too painful) and that you will not control the Pokemon, they will fight for themselves using a pre-determined set of rules set by the player a.k.a. "Gambits". Ok now I've said too much, the gambit system isn't anywhere near finished yet..
Some more news, your party Pokemon will follow you around the maps and every pokemon is planned to be shown as an overworld sprite. The pokemon in your PC will be limited by the amount of npc's you can fit in Oak's ranch, and you will see them there..
I know I may have a lot on my plate but dw, it's a big plate.
The beta will give me a chance to see how fast the engine runs for all of you, and also show off the 8-dir sprites in a whole new way as well as my camera and movement scripts for mode7.
I'm still very flustered atm so I do little bits and pieces when I can, but it will all calm down soon enough.
I'll upload some screens and probably do the poll if you wanna check back later.

Back