• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

High Gambit [Peaked #9]

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
HIGH GAMBIT
494.gif
230.gif
260.gif
407.gif
482.gif
560.gif

Yes, I'm back with another UU team. I'll probably end up putting this on Smogon to get some more rates but for now any help is appreciated. This is a new team I built since I couldn't be stuffed importing my PO teams to PS. As far as teams go this one has been reasonably successful netting me a 45-8 record and 9th on Smogon's Showdown Leaderboard with a rating of 1851. I actually could be 5th or 6th but PS glitched and I didn't get anymore points despite winning 4 matches after getting to 9th. Anyways I'm almost retiring this now, I've played 53 matches with it and am starting to get bored.

You might notice some I've gone for just synergy rather then checking UU threats and yes there are quite a few Pokemon who give me trouble but this relies on prediction alot, when I predict well this team can shred the opponent's team but when I don't I usually end up being crushed. This is due to half my team carrying Choice items and thus requiring me to be careful at times. Basically this team relies on predicting right rather then having a Pokemon to check a specific Pokemon, yes this way isn't great but I've opted to go for maximum hitting power off the bat rather then a balanced team hence "High Gambit".

The team's focus is a strong FWG core with Victini, Kingdra and Roserade and hazards. My Choice users in Kingdra and Victini are absolutely lethal with hazards up. Slowbro walls Victini? Not when he takes 37.5% just switching in. They seek to punch holes before letting Swampert and Roserade do some damage and finally letting a combination of Scrafty and Azelf clean up.

BUILDING THE TEAM
Spoiler:

260___swampert_by_merum_sb_blueolimar-d38u42l.png

Swampert @ Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
EV's: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def
Trait: Torrent
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
Hit likes a truck, tanks like a boss. Swampert is the definition of consistent in my eyes. Swampert is here to get the rocks that my team loves so much up, check threats and Roar setup sweepers out and stack hazards damage. Waterfall/EQ hit most of UU hard and no one likes taking hits from him, I've managed to pull off mini-sweeps with him simply because he's so hard to take down, I usually lose him early however he manages to take one Pokemon almost 100% of the time and can roar things out to stack damage. I save him if need a bulky water for the opponent's team. He also lures in those Grass-types who Roserade can wall with absolute ease.

Roserade_by_Naraku301.png

Roserade @ Leftovers
Nature: Calm
EV's: 252 HP / 120 Def / 128 SpD / 8 Spe
Trait: Natural Cure
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
Love this thing. Walls Water Pokemon and Grass Pokemon so easily, Ice Beam's and HP Fire bounces off her (3HKO most of the time) allowing me to setup Spikes, heal via Giga Drain or Synthesis and dish out the pain with my attacks. I tend to keep her around to check things but if my Spikes are done and I can't afford to switch incase my opponent will setup Roserade is usually sacrificed. However the resistances she brings and the Spikes she sets are crucial to this team's success. The Fire-types that come in to deal with her are an easy switch in to my Kingdra who can proceed to spam Draco Meteor away, combined with Spikes I can only watch as the KO's come.

494.png

Victini @ Choice Band
Nature: Jolly
EV's: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Trait: Victory Star
- V-Create
- Zen Headbutt
- U-Turn
- Fusion Bolt
The star of this team. Every member has it's role and is equally useful but Victini is what makes this team cool in my eyes . This thing is here to do one thing, tear holes into my opponent. Which isn't hard when you consider V-Create from this hits 40% harder then CB Ho-Oh! Yes that thing with much higher BST, Attack and also 3 tiers higher. With Spikes + SR up even Slowbro and Blastoise can't come on V-Create. I usually have 2 layers of Spikes + SR up and with that V-Create is usually a 2HKO on them. Without hazards I have to be more careful and predict Fusion Bolt but this thing is amazing. It needs to be played right but man when the opponent's bulky water is dead you can only smirk as he hesitates on what to sacrifice to Victini's fiery rage. He's SR weak and I lack a spinner so I usually want bulky waters out of the way before bringing him in.

kingdrasea.png

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
EV's: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Trait: Swift Swim
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Dragon Pulse
Effectively here to destroy bulky waters and Fire-types to make Victini's life a little easier. With hazards things like Slowbro and Blastoise fall to Draco Meteor. That 4x resist to Fire is nice to sponge up hits aimed at Roserade and Draco Meteor is excellent to break down walls for Scrafty's final cleanup. Victini massacres Snorlax (Thick Fat or not) and Umberon meaning nothing barring Empoleon can wall Kingdra and my team laughs at that thing anyway so usually I have free reign to smash stuff up with her.

Azelf_Artwork_by_Xous54.png

Azelf @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Adamant
Trait: Levitate
- Zen Headbutt
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- Trick / Thunderpunch
Very nifty, it's a gimmick and Pursuit-bait but damn this has saved me numerous times when things have setup or just for the surprise factor lets me get the jump and take out one of their Pokemon. His role though is a last resort to anything I've let setup which is possible when you consider my team is half Choice users. Either by revenge-killing or Tricking them into something he does his job well. It doesn't look great on paper but this it functions well and fits into this team. I can usually fake a Choice Band on it and get the edge on a sweeper that's setup later. Azelf is cool as a Scarfed Pokemon because even with Adamant it just outspeeds Jolly Choice Scarf Flygon which is the most common Scarfed Pokemon iirc.

560.png

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Nature: Jolly
Trait: Moxie
- Hi Jump Kick
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Dragon Dance
My cleanup sweeper, weak when unboosted but assuming he nets that DD and first KO he is absolutely unstoppable. After all Kingdra and Victini have finally gone out and my hazards are up this lazy lizard crawls in and nabs a boost before starting to stack those Moxie boosts. Leftovers is used because I don't need the power LO grants as much and he's actually pretty bulky (65HP/115 Def/115 SpD) and Lefties helps him shrug off weaker hits from walls. If I can net 2 DD's then watch out, this thing will plow through your team while getting Atk boosts. Crunch/Ice Punch/Hi Jump Kick net me good coverage and if I actually get an opportunity to setup early I go for it, sometimes he can cleanup even when the opponent's team is healthy. Since his Speed sucks even after a DD, I still try nab another one when the time is right. With his bulk it's actually not as hard as it seems.

THREATS
There are some pretty big threats and I'll list my two most annoying ones. They both carry Scarf and Moxie too ;.;

Heracross - Damn this beetle, if it nets a Moxie boost then basically I have to sacrifice a Pokemon to get Azelf in to revenge-kill it. If Azelf is down then god help me, I usually have to bait it into Megahorn with Victini, sac something then go to Swampert and kill it with Waterfall.
Honchcrow - Gah, I hate this thing too, especially Scarf or the ones that run Sub. Basically comes down to prediction and not letting it net Moxie boosts. Still a pain though, a well-played Honchkrow can decimate my team and end up with me losing.

IMPORTABLE [STEAL ME!]
Spoiler:
CONCLUSION
I've had a blast with this team and a fair run on the ladder, it's not perfect by any means and has some noticeable weaks but it's fun to play with and I got an alright peak with. The strongest part of it is the FWG core, ability to get hazards up quickly and the surprise factor. I'll accept any advice and please give it a test yourself. I'm not saying it's the greatest team(hint: it's not) but it's a fun team to play around with. Predict well though!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Since your Scrafty lacks Shed Skin to (somewhat consistently) cure any status it gets, you can consider Lum Berry over Lefties to let it shake off a status problem (only once); Scrafty really hates getting statused mid-sweep or while setting up DD.

Just a random thought, but the Nidos can kind of help with your Heracross problem, since they resist its common moves (Megahorn, Close Combat, Stone Edge), even though they do take a lot from Guts Heracross' Facade:
Nidoking:
-Earth Power
-Sludge Wave
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt/Fire Blast/Focus Blast
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force

or
-Earth Power
-Fire Blast/Sludge Wave
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball
Nature: Modest/Timid
Item: Choice Scarf

Nidoqueen:
-Stealth Rock/Toxic Spikes
-Earth Power
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower/Ice Beam
-Dragon Tail/Roar
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Item Life Orb/Leftovers

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
Since your Scrafty lacks Shed Skin to (somewhat consistently) cure any status it gets, you can consider Lum Berry over Lefties to let it shake off a status problem (only once); Scrafty really hates getting statused mid-sweep or while setting up DD.

Just a random thought, but the Nidos can kind of help with your Heracross problem, since they resist its common moves (Megahorn, Close Combat, Stone Edge), even though they do take a lot from Guts Heracross' Facade:
Nidoking:
-Earth Power
-Sludge Wave
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt/Fire Blast/Focus Blast
Nature: Timid
Item: Life Orb

or
-Earth Power
-Fire Blast/Sludge Wave
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball
Nature: Modest/Timid
Item: Choice Scarf

Nidoqueen:
-Stealth Rock/Toxic Spikes
-Earth Power
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower/Ice Beam
-Dragon Tail/Roar
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Item Life Orb/Leftovers
Eh, I can't. Leftovers is simply too valuable. I've escaped weak priority so many times with Leftovers. Besides I only bring Scrafty in really when walls are pretty much gone so status has never been an issue.

I got some help from psychotic over at Smogon and he recommended Gilgar which seems to cover all my weaks. Nido's are interesting but even they take too much damage from Heracross for me to comfortable call them a check. Plus I can't fit it in without wrecking synergy =(

Back