• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most overrated generation of Pokemon?

Years
This topic may have been posted before, and it may have been discussed to death, but I really wanted to get this off my chest.
Let me start off by saying that I have played and beaten every single Pokemon games except for the spin-offs and D/P/Pt (and from what I've been hearing, I'm not missing much). These games were my childhood and I still play them to this day (spent my whole spring break with these games last week). I love Pokemon and I still regard it as my favorite video game franchise, and talking about these games is something I very much enjoy doing. With that said, however, differing opinions are inevitable with much discussion. Most people hold a single gen true to them, and the most praise I have heard was for Generation 2. Now, I agree that this generation is amazing and has many qualities that could make it on someone's top list, but does it truly deserve the praise it gets, even to this day? Personally, I find it to be overrated and here's why:
-While G/S/C were huge games, Johto by itself is very small and, quite honestly, pretty bland. The addition of Kanto was nice, but the extremely dumbed down version of it is really a turn-off. While HG/SS fixed this a bit, it still wasn't enough to satisfy.
-The elite four has to be the least interesting out of all the Pokemon games so far. The Pokemon are not really that tough, sporting lower levels. Lance being the champion is kind of underwhelming when he wasn't the champion in the previous game.
-Victory road is also forgettable (except for its music) as it's completely empty, bar the rival fight at the end.
-The stones are a pain to get as you cannot buy them or find them as pickup items. You need to wait for trainers to give you a call or participate in the Pokeathalon (2500 points!!! and that too only on certain days). So if you want a Vaporeon/Flareon/Jolteon, etc, you would have to wait for a call (which could never happen).
-Lack of fire and grass types (I don't count the addition of the 4th gen evolutions in the remakes).
-There really was no story, either. Team Rocket were still quite boring, in my opinion.
-Ho-oh and Lugia didn't really do anything in terms of the story. While they were mentioned, their overall presence had little to no relevance to the actual story of the game. They're just there, and while HG/SS tried to make them more integrated (as in, required to catch/KO them in order to progress), their roles still did not play a big part. Legendaries should have a pretty big impact on the story itself, I think.
-The music is really good, but generation 3's and 5's really outclasses it, even with HGSS remakes (which I thought were not as good as their 8-bit tunes)
-No safari zone! Why not? While HG/SS had one, it wasn't nearly as interesting as Hoenn's or Kanto's.

While this thread may seem as if it's only related to Generation 2, it also applies to the others. What, in your opinion, is the most overrated generation of Pokemon, and why do you think this? For me, obviously, it's generation 2. And overrated, keep in mind, does not mean "bad" at all. I love gen 2 and its remakes, but there are many flaws that just make me question why it's so highly praised. Please, post away.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2015
Actually, Gen 2 did bring about a fire Pokemon that everyone thought came from gen 3, Slugma and Magcargo. These guys were found in Mt. Silver.

And what about Magbi. he was a fire type.

And the skiploom family? did you forget those grass types? What about Sunkern and Sunflora? Or Bellossom?

And while Johto may have been a small region by itself, you have to admit that the cities themselves were full of a lot of things and most tended to make you retrace your steps to go back a lot. Goldenrod had the Department store and the Gambling corner, and the Tower, and team Rocket's head quarters

But Team Rocket also had their head quarters in the Ice Gym.

And in order to challenge the Steel Gym you had to fight the Fighting gym first, which meant you had to track through the lighthouse twice in order to do challenge her.

And there was some nice mythology going on with the Burned(Bronze) Tower, Tin Tower thing with the incredibly complex maze to get to either of the legendaries. And the nice time-travel subplot brought in during Crystal about Silver, who is my favorite Rival out of them all anyway.

Not to mention the huge Edo-Japan theme they used for Johto, which was one of the reasons I fell in love with the culture in the first place.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Just posting to say that I'm fine with this thread, but I'm not going to tolerate anyone flaming each other, as that tends to happen in these sort of threads, and I've been getting too lax on these types of things. So carry on like normal, however if someone is getting out of hand, please report it and I will deal with it. I don't want one person ruining the thread for everyone.

So far it's fine, but I just wanted to post this and get it out of the way. Go on with discussion, dears!

Years
I'm gonna first start off with a few comments on what you said.

-The elite four has to be the least interesting out of all the Pokemon games so far. The Pokemon are not really that tough, sporting lower levels. Lance being the champion is kind of underwhelming when he wasn't the champion in the previous game.

I'm confused on how he was underwhelming in this game when he is basically a (slightly) stronger version of himself in the first game. Also he was the champion until Blue beat him XD

vapes said:
-Victory road is also forgettable (except for its music) as it's completely empty, bar the rival fight at the end.

I think that was the point as you had to do the whole "Walk of Awesomeness" to even get there, which included pokemon and trainer fights.

vapes said:
-Lack of fire and grass types (I don't count the addition of the 4th gen evolutions in the remakes).

There are 24 grass pokemon (7 of them are unevolved and 1 cannot evolve; all catch-able in both games, excluding Chikorita, which is given) and 22 fire pokemon (5 of them are unevolved and 2 which cannot evolved; all can be caught in the wild, with only Cyndaquil (given), Vulpix (Silver only), Growlithe (Gold only) and Magby (can be given in an egg) being excluded). I'm pretty sure that is enough pokemon that can be caught lol

vapes said:
-There really was no story, either. Team Rocket were still quite boring, in my opinion.

The storyline for every game is the same thing: Go collect the badges, catch all the pokemon, stop an evil organization and become the champion. While the second gen was the low end on 'evil organizations', it did have the strongest (true) champion of all games (Red).

vapes said:
-No safari zone! Why not? While HG/SS had one, it wasn't nearly as interesting as Hoenn's or Kanto's.

I think there was a back story to the reason why he wasn't in this game ;)

Sorry for the dissection of your reasoning but I had to defend gen 2 :D It's kind of my favorite generation lol Hopefully someone cares enough to dissect mine (even though it isn't even close to enough to dissect)

I consider the first generation the most overrated. Now, before you guys take out your pitch forks and tomatoes (I guess that is the things children use to humiliate people today), I (sort of) have my reasons.

1.The music. I hate the music to gen1 games (and its remakes). While I think all generations music is bad I think the first one takes the cake. It just sounds so high pitched (there were very few places that didn't seem high pitched to me) and I wish they would just stop with the music.

2.The story. It's not so much this generations story (even though it was basically the same as other games of its time (not the ones that came after it); Go find/collect stuff, fight (but with creatures cause human fighting is inhumane (irony and sarcasm wrapped into one)), beat the baddies (rival, evil organization that seems to have tons of money, gyms, E4, etc.) and become the BEST THERE EVER WAS!) as it was gamefreak using the EXACT story over and over until trying to reminisce about the great old times seems to have become boring.

3.My last one: The hype. I get that this generation is going to get TONS of love for being that awesome one that started everyone off to becoming a Pokemon Master but the overall hype it gets (even today) and hate it seems to have created is annoying (If you're wondering about that last part: Gen 1ners or whatever they're called). I've actually gotten into a verbal fight with a friend for them refusing to play past the first two generations (because they come in a package thanks to the connecting stories) but still rags on the rest of the generations like she knows what she is talking about, especially about the designs. We get that some looks are bad but think of the ones from gen 1/2.

Anywho, that's my 2 cent. :laugh:

Last edited:
Years
Actually, Gen 2 did bring about a fire Pokemon that everyone thought came from gen 3, Slugma and Magcargo. These guys were found in Mt. Silver.

And what about Magbi. he was a fire type.

And the skiploom family? did you forget those grass types? What about Sunkern and Sunflora? Or Bellossom?

And while Johto may have been a small region by itself, you have to admit that the cities themselves were full of a lot of things and most tended to make you retrace your steps to go back a lot. Goldenrod had the Department store and the Gambling corner, and the Tower, and team Rocket's head quarters

But Team Rocket also had their head quarters in the Ice Gym.

And in order to challenge the Steel Gym you had to fight the Fighting gym first, which meant you had to track through the lighthouse twice in order to do challenge her.

And there was some nice mythology going on with the Burned(Bronze) Tower, Tin Tower thing with the incredibly complex maze to get to either of the legendaries. And the nice time-travel subplot brought in during Crystal about Silver, who is my favorite Rival out of them all anyway.

Not to mention the huge Edo-Japan theme they used for Johto, which was one of the reasons I fell in love with the culture in the first place.

My problem with that is Slugma and Magcargo aren't available until the end of the game; same goes for Hondour. And I have no idea why they did this as those were the only new fire types introduced. Magbi evolves into Magmar, which is a Gen 1 Pokemon. Growlithe and Vuplix evolve through stone which the player may not even get until the after-game with Bill's grandfather (not to mention how nerfed Vulpix became after Gen 1).

I actually did and should therefore withdraw my grass type argument.

While there was a lot to do in the cities, the same could be said with the other games. Johto had more content in their cities, but it still felt short. And Kanto felt kind of lazy and just a way to artificially lengthen the game.

Team Rockets' plans never seemed all that interesting to me. They just didn't do much to have enough of an impact. The teams in the future games really threatened the region being played; I never got this from Team Rocket. And the lack of Giovanni in G/S/C/HG/SS made Team Rocket even more boring to me.

Silver was the best part about the games in terms of story. The time travel subplot was great, but the problem with that was it was only through events that it could be accessed, leaving many players unable to see it.

They mythology was there, but it wasn't mentioned much in the games aside from Ecruteak city. Catching Ho-oh and Lugia just felt like another side mission rather than something to look forward to. R/S/E, for example, really made the legendaries have an impact in the overall plot of their games. Ho-oh and Lugia were just...there.

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2015
I understand. I think I am looking at things from a rose-tinted perspective since GS was my first Pokemon game ever, and the one I spent the most time replaying.

It is sad that the Fire types are few are limited.

It also does feel a little half-assed, as the game COULD have been made a tad better, and there certainly was room to make the game more entertaining as they had plenty of funds since the success of the anime and Stadium. They could have made Team Rocket more involved, everything could have been more involved.

And truth be told, as I remember the game, I couldn't help but feel a little old when I played it. When I first mentioned the Edo-feel it was in the sense that it was amazing, but really, with Silver's black and white feel, the ruins, the old art style, the mythology, the hardly involved criminals, it feels almost like an old man.

The villains are all ineffectual EXCEPT for Silver. all the character seemed old or too mature for their age. Everyone felt like a parent or a role model. The villains were more bland than in Red.

Now I hate you Vapes :P How dare you show me the light as to why my FAVORITE Pokemon game is the most overrated of them all.

Years
I'm gonna first start off with a few comments on what you said.

I'm confused on how he was underwhelming in this game when he is basically a (slightly) stronger version of himself in the first game. Also he was the champion until Blue beat him XD

I think that was the point as you had to do the whole "Walk of Awesomeness" to even get there, which included pokemon and trainer fights.

There are 24 grass pokemon (7 of them are unevolved and 1 cannot evolve; all catch-able in both games, excluding Chikorita, which is given) and 22 fire pokemon (5 of them are unevolved and 2 which cannot evolved; all can be caught in the wild, with only Cyndaquil (given), Vulpix (Silver only), Growlithe (Gold only) and Magby (can be given in an egg) being excluded). I'm pretty sure that is enough pokemon that can be caught lol

The storyline for every game is the same thing: Go collect the badges, catch all the pokemon, stop an evil organization and become the champion. While the second gen was the low end on 'evil organizations', it did have the strongest (true) champion of all games (Red).

I think there was a back story to the reason why he wasn't in this game ;)

Sorry for the dissection of your reasoning but I had to defend gen 2 :D It's kind of my favorite generation lol Hopefully someone cares enough to dissect mine (even though it isn't even close to enough to dissect)

I consider the first generation the most overrated. Now, before you guys take out your pitch forks and tomatoes (I guess that is the things children use to humiliate people today), I (sort of have my reasons).

1.The music. I hate the music to gen1 games (and its remakes). While I think all generations music is bad I think the first one takes the cake. It just sounds so high pitched (there were very few places that didn't seem high pitched to me) and I wish they would just stop with the music.

2.The story. It's not so much this generations story (even though it was basically the same as other games; Go find/collect stuff, fight (but with creatures cause human fighting is inhumane (irony and sarcasm wrapped into one)), beat the baddies (rival, evil organization that seems to have tons of money, gyms, E4, etc.) and become the BEST THERE EVER WAS!) as it was gamefreak using the EXACT story over and over until trying to reminisce about the great old times seems to have become boring.

3.My last one: The hype. I get that this generation is going to get TONS of love for being that awesome one that started everyone off to becoming a Pokemon Master but the overall hype it gets (even today) and hate it seems to have created is annoying (If you're wondering about that last part: Gen 1ners or whatever they're called). I've actually gotten into a verbal fight with a friend for them refusing to play past the first two generations (because they come in a package thanks to the connecting stories) but still rags on the rest of the generations like she knows what she is talking about, especially about the designs. We get that some looks are bad but thank of the ones from gen 1/2.

Anywho, that's my 2 cent. :laugh:

It's fine. I love discussion, even if my own favorite generations are being scrutinized and ridiculed

Lance's dragons can all be beaten by an ice/water type (Lapras for example), which, for a champion, is quite underwhelming. Wallace also suffered from this but his Pokemon were higher leveled.

The "Walk of Awesome" before the Elite Four makes the victory road cave pointless, though. What's the point of the empty cave if all the trainers are already fought? I always just felt that it was unneeded

My point with the fire and grass types was the addition of new ones. And even if you include the older ones, only growlithe, vulpix, flareon, and magbi/magmar are available in the earlier and main story of the game to catch (if you did not choose cyndaquil). Three of those require fire stones which are annoying to get, and magmar doesn't have the greatest movepool. Ponyta and Rapidash are only at the very end of the main story in victory road.

Except each storyline has its unique elements that make them interesting. R/S/E sport two organizations, one that wants to expand the land, and one that wants to expand the sea, making their plans threatening to the region. BW/BW2: liberation of Pokemon from trainers and taking control of Kyurem to freeze the land of Unova, respectively. Again, threatening the world, making defeating them to be more satisfactory. Team Rocket just don't do much, and I never understood why people liked them so much.

Yes, but there should have been an alternative to the safari zone. Taking it out completely isn't the best idea, I believe.

I understand. I think I am looking at things from a rose-tinted perspective since GS was my first Pokemon game ever, and the one I spent the most time replaying.

It is sad that the Fire types are few are limited.

It also does feel a little half-assed, as the game COULD have been made a tad better, and there certainly was room to make the game more entertaining as they had plenty of funds since the success of the anime and Stadium. They could have made Team Rocket more involved, everything could have been more involved.

And truth be told, as I remember the game, I couldn't help but feel a little old when I played it. When I first mentioned the Edo-feel it was in the sense that it was amazing, but really, with Silver's black and white feel, the ruins, the old art style, the mythology, the hardly involved criminals, it feels almost like an old man.

The villains are all ineffectual EXCEPT for Silver. all the character seemed old or too mature for their age. Everyone felt like a parent or a role model. The villains were more bland than in Red.

Now I hate you Vapes :P How dare you show me the light as to why my FAVORITE Pokemon game is the most overrated of them all.

The Edo-Japan feel in G/S/C was really well done, I can completely agree with that post. And HG/SS did this even better with some of their remixes.

This is just my opinion of the games. I am in no position to say that you're wrong for liking them, I'm just posting my thoughts to open for discussion.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2015
I think the reason people like Team Rocket so much is because they were a crime syndicate. there was nothing good about them. They chopped off Slowpoke tails and sold them. They take entire towns hostage.

Years
It's fine. I love discussion, even if my own favorite generations are being scrutinized and ridiculed

Lance's dragons can all be beaten by an ice/water type (Lapras for example), which, for a champion, is quite underwhelming. Wallace also suffered from this but his Pokemon were higher leveled.

Doesn't every gym leader/E4/Champion (except Cynthia) have this problem? You could basically go through each person with 1 high leveled pokemon and destroy them. Having Lance use dragons was always the hardest part of the main story (well, except for Clair and her Kingdra).

vapes said:
The "Walk of Awesome" before the Elite Four makes the victory road cave pointless, though. What's the point of the empty cave if all the trainers are already fought? I always just felt that it was unneeded

While I also think it isn't the most necessary thing, it kind of gives certain Pokemon (like grass types or psychics types) the chance to quickly level up.

vapes said:
My point with the fire and grass types was the addition of new ones. And even if you include the older ones, only growlithe, vulpix, flareon, and magbi/magmar are available in the earlier and main story of the game to catch (if you did not choose cyndaquil). Three of those require fire stones which are annoying to get, and magmar doesn't have the greatest movepool. Ponyta and Rapidash are only at the very end of the main story in victory road.

While I do agree with you on the lack of fire Pokemon (and need for fire stones), I always thought they made it harder to get the stones so you would have to buy more Pokemon products and use mystery gift (since you can get the stones from it) or level the crap out of the vulpix/growlithe you get for the attacks and then show it to bill's grandfather to evolve them.

vapes said:
Except each storyline has its unique elements that make them interesting. R/S/E sport two organizations, one that wants to expand the land, and one that wants to expand the sea, making their plans threatening to the region. BW/BW2: liberation of Pokemon from trainers and taking control of Kyurem to freeze the land of Unova, respectively. Again, threatening the world, making defeating them to be more satisfactory. Team Rocket just don't do much, and I never understood why people liked them so much.

People like them? :surprised:

But in all seriousness, gen 2 games are suppose to be a continuation of the first ones so it does make sense for team rocket to try and get their boss back (once again with the package deal). Remember what their need was for the first game? Use Pokemon to take over the world. It's the most cliche things an evil organization can do and each game seems to basically do the same thing but with in a different flavor.
Team Magma/Aqua: Use Pokemon to make the land/sea expand (actually, this is kind of a dumb reason). They didn't really seem to think past that but I'm assuming they would take over the world since they have control over an ancient Pokemon that is causing this.
Team Galactic: Use Pokemon to destroy the current world and make another one based on the views of a depressed misanthropic man who would basically control how to the world was (or everyone would become mindless zombies, which is equally terrifying).
Team Plasma: Make everyone get rid of their Pokemon (by using Pokemon, which is ironic). In N's view, it is to get rid of mankind (or at least push them back) so Pokemon can live without worry. In the actual mastermind's plan, it is to make him the only trainer and the ruler of the world.

So, they all basically come back to ruling the world but each have a different way of doing it.

vapes said:
Yes, but there should have been an alternative to the safari zone. Taking it out completely isn't the best idea, I believe.

Some things have to be removed for a storyline, I guess? Also, I thought the alternative was suppose to be the bug catching contest.

Just to say this quickly: If I don't reply for a while, it's because I fell asleep. I have class tomorrow and it's 1:36 in the morning.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I would say the 1st gen, were it not for the newfound love for Hoenn that seems to contaminate every Pokémon forum as for late (because of muh remakes...). So 3rd gen it is, then. Hoenn was the decadence of Pokémon, and it didn't help that it was the generation featured on the worst console combo by Nintendo (GBA and Gamecube).

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
By far, by FAR, generation I and V. One because...in my opinion, the region's design is extremely boring and lack-luster compared to that of Johto's, Hoenn's or Sinnohs. Black and White proved to be terrible games for me, most of the Pokemon, (there were a few shining starts like Reuniclus, Krookodile, Liepard, Seismitoad, Beartic, Volcarona etc), proved to be horrifically ugly. But that's just my opinion! :]

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
By far, by FAR, generation I and V. One because...in my opinion, the region's design is extremely boring and lack-luster compared to that of Johto's, Hoenn's or Sinnohs. Black and White proved to be terrible games for me, most of the Pokemon, (there were a few shining starts like Reuniclus, Krookodile, Liepard, Seismitoad, Beartic, Volcarona etc), proved to be horrifically ugly. But that's just my opinion! :]

While I disagree with you on Gen V being overrated and personally say it's underrated, (Learned to love alot of the Pokemon myself and only thing it lacked to me was the region.) I can definitely agree that Gen I is overrated.
Don't get me wrong, I love gen 1 and all the generations. I grew up with gen 1, it was the generation that got me into Pokemon. Red was the first game I played. Though now when I play through it ,it doesn't seem the same to me. Of course it's nostalgic, but Kanto is sort of boring after playing through the region in 6 games. Plus there's tons of glitches and ugly sprites.

Last edited:

Archenoth

The arch foe
Years
  • Seen Nov 6, 2020
I always found the first two generations to be overrated... As someone who got into Pokemon around Generation 4, I have to say that I don't really see the first two generations in the same light as those who see it through the goggles of nostalgia.

When I see Generation 1, I see a fun game, yes... But I also see the worst region design, the Pokemon designs were good but the sprites were pretty bad, and the story was pretty nonexistant. It was a good game at the time, but it really doesn't hold up to the more recent Pokemon games.

And when I see Generation 2, I see the smallest region; the entire Johto region, including water routes, fit into the land part of Hoenn with room to spare. I also see a stripped down version of Kanto. I liked the additions to HG/SS, but the region seemed to, even with the rewrite of the terrain, be a pretty boring layout compared to, say Hoenn or Unova (From Black 2 and White 2, not the first version of Unova.).

Then again, opinions.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I'm going with Gen 5. It fixed the pacing problem that D/P brought but has flaws pretty much everywhere else. The only ones I see defending these games are the loads of fans that are somehow offended by all the nostalgic people that will say all kinds of crap anyway and should be ignored. B/W is a good start to the series though, but only because of the pacing and it was designed to let a new person to the franchise get through it without a single problem. That's why we've got such a linear region, early strong Pokemon and the easiest way to level up. At least the kids love it, which is the point. :) In the end, it's really only overrated within the fanbase.

Gen 1 and 2 are overrated as well, but frankly at least they're good enough to warrant it. (Gen 1 was near revolutionary, and Gen 2 is what perfected the formula.)
Let me start off by saying that I have played and beaten every single Pokemon games except for the spin-offs and D/P/Pt (and from what I've been hearing, I'm not missing much).
You really are missing out. Platinum is FANTASTIC. Ignore D/P, but play Platinum. One of the best Pokemon games, and Sinnoh is by far the best region imo. So big, varied and so much to do. Helps that the Pokemon available pre-E4 are some of the best selections. (Fire type problem aside.)

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Gen 2 is extremely overrated. I played it when it came out right after gen 1, and it just felt a lot worse in comparison. I didn't like Johto that much and Kanto felt really empty.

On the other hand, I think gen 4 doesn't get nearly enough credit. I liked the slower feel of it, the awesome music, the cool places (Jubilife, Snowpoint, Battle/Fight/Resort Areas), and how obtaining Pokemon like Tangrowth and Mamoswine felt very exclusive to me (at the time) since you had to meet special criteria to get them, and they didn't even appear in the Pokedex until after. Plus, I liked how Sinnoh had a lot of "mysteries" like with Darkrai, Rotom, Giratina and Regigias that I thought were so cool because they were so mysterious, and I felt smart for catching them :P. I didn't like the gen 4 just because of the legendaries, but in the way they were presented.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Generation 5 seems to get it's share of undeserved praise. It's not even the assortment of Pokemon that gets the most undeserved praise. Although I certainly don't like a good number of the Pokemon in this generation, there were a few gems like the Joltik and Elgyem lines that I found to be enough to make up for the rest of them.

Honestly, though, the reason this generation is overrated is the praise the "story" gets. I'm sorry, but the same old boring black-and-white (no pun intended) morality is never interesting, and, let's be honest, most of us play Pokemon for the experience of training a team of monsters to win in fights, not to get engrossed in the story. Just because the story is slightly more interesting than that of previous games (actually, in my opinion, Emerald had a more interesting story) doesn't mean that it's a good story.

This leads me to my final reason the generation is overrated: N. This little turd gets all the fangirls to go insane, yet he really isn't a great character at all. He's just yet another one of those annoying emo hippie characters, and he even has an inanely long and ridiculous name to make him even more of a boring, cliche JRPG character.

As for the order of overrated-ness:
Gen. V> Gen. II> Gen. I> Gen. IV> Gen. III

Last edited:
Years
Elgyem said:
As for the order of overrated-ness:
Gen. V> Gen. II> Gen. I> Gen. IV> Gen. III

Really? :cer_disbelief:

Gen 3-5 always seems to be hated on so I don't think thay are that overrated. Iwould say:

Gen 1> Gen 2> Gen 5> Gen 4> Gen 3

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Gen 3-5 always seems to be hated on so I don't think thay are that overrated. Iwould say:

Gen 1> Gen 2> Gen 5> Gen 4> Gen 3

Very, very close to my order tbh. It used to be exactly this, but gen III got a lot more popular during gen V it seems, with the hopes of remakes and suddenly it went from being hated to being "omg let's go back to Hoenn I loved RSE so much!!"

Though, I'd also put gen II ahead of I since that seems to be where most older fans stopped playing.

This is what I think:

II > I > V > III > IV

Of course, that's just me. I feel like II is more overrated than I since like I said, that's where a lot of gamers left off before stopping the series, or stopping there and picking up in a later gen. It improved on gen I, which I think a lot more people liked and then you get to go back to Kanto, where the gen I games took place. So Gen II has a lot going for it in ways of being overrated.

I love gen II though, so don't throw rocks at me y'all, lol.

This leads me to my final reason the generation is overrated: N. This little turd gets all the fangirls to go insane, yet he really isn't a great character at all. He's just yet another one of those annoying emo hippie characters, and he even has an inanely long and ridiculous name to make him even more of a boring, cliche JRPG character.

I'm not gonna go over gen V rn, but I definitely agree with this and I'll also add that I think the plethora of characters we got in gen V lent a hand into it being overrated.

Back