• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years

Ultimately it's up to you really. We can't really dictate how you play, and what starter you pick really depends on how you play through the game, whether you want to rush through it, spend a lot of time grinding, or using just the starter, or maybe raising 6 at once. Personally, I'd recommend Tepig but I'm no expert, I just found it easy to play through with. Though - there is reasoning for that, mainly because it's part fighting and can learn a few fighting attacks such as brick break which comes in handy against the dark/normal types that Plasma owns. Either way if you don't go for Tepig you could grab a Sawk or Throh at Pinwheel and they'll help you with Plasma. And if you do go with Snivy or Oshawott, it's just personal preference imo rather than what'll help you with the game more.

Either way, merged with quick questions for more input. :D Oh and once you've picked a starter :3

Ok, but.... it's like choose you favorite element or color?
I dont really like pigs but sure i'll try lol.
Now i'm waiting for Oshawott's review.

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016

Well it really depends on personal taste, you should know what the evolutions look like for each Pokemon and if you really want to continuously see those Pokemon. Snivy is a really cool starter and it's evolution looks pretty cool as well, but it's final suits some people and doesn't suit others. You should also know Snivy is a more Defense/Sp. Def/Speed orientated Pokemon rather then a heavy hitter so that may influence your choice as well. It's a great Pokemon for trainers and alike, but it's real help against gym leaders is later in the game. It learns some really cool grass type moves such as Giga Drain and Leaf Blade, and it also has some nice stat raising moves like Coil - which really suits its stats btw.

Tepig looks very average, and for me I don't like it, but some people really like the final evolution so that's a plus if you do. It's Attack/Sp. Attack orientated so it's a real heavy hitter. It learns more Physical moves rather then Special if that at all influences your choice of the type of Pokemon you want it to be. It's weaknesses are water, psychic, and flying so that's not too bad considering all the advantages it has, grass, ice, rock, steel, dark, bug etc. It learns some real powerful moves like Flamethrower, Head Smash and Flare blitz. This is the best Pokemon in terms of how fast you want to sweep the gym leaders.

My favourite would be Oshawott, mainly because it's final evolution is so intense. I didn't choose it though because I'm a Treecko fan so Snivy was my first choice. It is an excellent choice for later in the game in terms of gym leaders, it can easily sweep the Dragon gym leader if you teach it a strong Ice-attack. It learns Aqua Tail, Swords Dance and also Hydro Pump later on which is a really good moveset to have in terms of it's stats. It only has a weakness in grass and electricity so that's a huge plus, yet it moveset and stats let's it dominate just about every type there is. So if you just want an awesome Pokemon, this is your choice.

Years
Does anyone know of a list of previous gen pokemon that you can catch in Black and White? I'm doing a lot of trading at the moment and I've been caught out a couple of times by trading for pokemon that I could have just caught.

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2014
Which is best Gigalith, Krookodile or Excadrill

right now im using a boldore lv. 32 but ive caught the first form of the other and wonders which is best, why and the best moves sets for each

dieter57

pokemon master
Years

snivy. thats who i picked and the only real trouble you'll have is against the flying gym. once he learns leaf blade, it's all good. and Giga drain is like a virtual bank for health.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
If you don't mind working backwards, here's a list of the Pokemon that are unobtainable in B/W (except through Dream World). This should help you out more when trading.

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
Years
  • Seen Feb 6, 2012
Gigalith is good in game but not as much competitively. Rock type wall.

Excadrill = Death if you get it with sandstorm, but otherwise competitively it's not as viable, but still decent. Get Sand Rush. Also, in game it's good.

Krookadile is a dominate in game but doesn't cut it in competitive.

That's just my opinion on it. Feel free to criticize and rant about my opinion if you want.

I'm not using any of them in my game, but I've used Excadrill on an older save game before and it's pretty good in-game. Gigalith was also good if you can get past the fact that it's so slow.

Years
I want to know if you can trade from your heart gold game after you obtain your friend code. I also heard that you need two ds for that. Also what other requirement we need to trade from hg. I have plenty of ev training pokemon.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
I want to know if you can trade from your heart gold game after you obtain your friend code. I also heard that you need two ds for that. Also what other requirement we need to trade from hg. I have plenty of ev training pokemon.

You can't trade them over, you have to transfer them over. Friend codes are not needed, and two Ds system's are needed.

Once you have completed your Pokemon Black/White version. Head to Nimbasa city, go East to the gate that was blocked by workman, go across the huge bridge, you will arrive at a foggy route, (10 iirc) Go up the stairs and you will find a building, go inside and talk to the man right at the top, this will start your transferring. In your other Ds, have Pokemon Heartgold/Soul Silver/Platinum/Diamond/Pearl, and go to Ds download (or something) when the other Ds (with White/Black) in prompts you to. It's pretty easy from there on.

Note: Pokemon with HM Moves cannot be transfered, so remember to delete them.

Years
Another question where can I catch a grass type and what kind are grass type pokemon. I started out with oswatt, purrion and pansear. So now I need a grass and a poison or something.

Perriechu

Years

Perriechu

Years
Is there a way to use a Rom Game (R4) with the Relocator /PokeTransfer? D=

Nope. :x Since you need the Ds download play to use them, R4's cannot do that since they skip the main Ds menu. >: I've tried...

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2011
Has there been any changes to EV training in Black and White? I'm trying to EV train my Pokemon and I see no major positive stat changes. For example, I'm EV training my Zoroark. It has Pokerus and is holding a Power Lens. I'm training for Sp. Atk. That said, I obviously defeat multiple Litwicks to gain EVs. With Pokerus and Power Lens, the EV gain should be huge, but when he levels up, my Zoroark only gains about 2-3+ Sp. Atk, whereas in HG I could EV train and my Pokemon would gain +15 in one stat upon leveling. So...what am I doing wrong in Black and White?

Years
Nothing. If you look at your Pokemon's stats, you should still see that its stats have been raised higher than what they were previously. Although I can't find anything to back this up at the moment, I conjecture that stat boosts from EVs are calculated at the end of battles instead of at a level up.

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
Years
Has there been any changes to EV training in Black and White? I'm trying to EV train my Pokemon and I see no major positive stat changes. For example, I'm EV training my Zoroark. It has Pokerus and is holding a Power Lens. I'm training for Sp. Atk. That said, I obviously defeat multiple Litwicks to gain EVs. With Pokerus and Power Lens, the EV gain should be huge, but when he levels up, my Zoroark only gains about 2-3+ Sp. Atk, whereas in HG I could EV train and my Pokemon would gain +15 in one stat upon leveling. So...what am I doing wrong in Black and White?

What level is your Zoroark? Because if it's low level, the stats will be increased gradually as the growth of the pokemon. All stats will increase depending on the level of the pokemon and its growth rate so that if you give 200 EV's a pokemon of level 1 and 200 to a pokemon level 80, the highest level will reflect an increase larger stat thanks to the EV's, since you have less levels to reach the 510 points allowed. Maybe 10-15 win while the pokemon from level 1 to increase the level, won 3-5 only.
This does not interfere or alter the final result so you do not have to worry about.

Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2011
Nothing. If you look at your Pokemon's stats, you should still see that its stats have been raised higher than what they were previously. Although I can't find anything to back this up at the moment, I conjecture that stat boosts from EVs are calculated at the end of battles instead of at a level up.

Ok, well that said, what can you tell me about my Zoroark then? He's only lvl 45, Timid nature with his Sp. Atk: 136, Spd: 146. Again, I don't see a major difference but maybe its just me. At level 45, I suppose that doesn't help either. Although, I don't have anything to compare him to.

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
Years
Ok, well that said, what can you tell me about my Zoroark then? He's only lvl 45, Timid nature with his Sp. Atk: 136, Spd: 146. Again, I don't see a major difference but maybe its just me. At level 45, I suppose that doesn't help either. Although, I don't have anything to compare him to.

As I said at the end there will be no difference, it's still totally normal if you've done the EV'd well.

Years
In any case, with no EVs, a lv. 45 Timid Zoroark would have a min sp. atk stat of 113 and a max of 126. Speed has min 99 and max 113. 136 and 146 are well above that, which indicates that your EV training was successful.

Perriechu

Years
Ev training has changed this generation. |: Instead of adding on the Ev points at a level up, the Pokemon will gain them at the end of a battle. So your Zoroark will be gaining them, just very slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back