• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Recolours and Fusions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yume Tsuki

(/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
Years
Love your Deku Link Missingno! It looks terrific!

Mettagross.png

Darkrai-cresseliastyle.png

Mine where ignored too.

Darkrai has a lot of outlines missing. (this is mostly caused because it normally has a much darker color. The 'necklace' around darkrais neck has weird shading. The metagross is allright.

Azlef

Wha- we're on air?!?!
Years
Here are some of mine.. they didn't work out because of the format I saved them in. I couldn't put the pics in the post, so there should be an attachment.

Tyranimoth(This worked) Pidgeotto, Mespirit, Azelf, Tyranitar, Venomoth, Dragonite(tail)

Ho-breon (My first, no tutorials nor practice)Umbreon, Vaporoen, Ho-oh

Buttercuno(Weird) Articuno, Moltres, Butterfree, Flygon

Diatina (Made this for my brother)Palkia, Giratina, Dialga, Lugia. I was going to include Frealigatr, though.

Last edited:

Camyre

Guess who?
Years
Here are some of mine.. they didn't work out because of the format I saved them in. I couldn't put the pics in the post, so there should be an attachment.

Tyranimoth(This worked) Pidgeotto, Mespirit, Azelf, Tyranitar, Venomoth, Dragonite(tail)

Ho-breon (My first, no tutorials nor practice)Umbreon, Vaporoen, Ho-oh

Buttercuno(Weird) Articuno, Moltres, Butterfree, Flygon

Diatina (Made this for my brother)Palkia, Giratina, Dialga, Lugia. I was going to include Frealigatr, though.

There's a weird rainbowy blotch on Buttercuno that shouldn't be there. Also, I'm not sure what the dark things on its sides are supposed to be. I kind of like how you did the head, though.

Most of Dialtina looks copy-pasted, especially Giratina's smoke. Try to make spliced parts fit better by scratching and adjusting shading.

Tyranimoth has the same problems with copy-pasting on its tails and wings.

Ho-breon is okay except for the wing, which has no shading on the white parts. Its left fin has an entirely black and jagged outline. It should have different shades, like the other fins, and be only one pixel thick.

All in all, these really aren't too bad. :3 Keep practicing and I'm sure you'll get better.

Magician Of Ice

Berry & Contest Master @-,-'--
Years
(Please note this is just constructive feedback, I'm not hating on anyone)
If I may state my personal opinion real quick here, I feel I don't "deserve to be in this forum at all" then. That's exactly how this thread makes me feel. I can't make my own fakemon or sprites or anything because I lack the talent. I do recolorings and frankensteining because it's fun to me, but apparently to show off my fun and have my own thread I have to be "better" than that. If I post my work here it'll only be seen by people until a new page starts in this thread, when everyone will automatically start looking at the new last page. I get critiqued by maybe two or three people, then nothing ever again unless I post my old work again and again as I make new ones. Then that's considered spam, so what am I supposed to do? Hope people read the first eighty seven pages to finally get to the one I'm on? I like this site a lot and I'm comfortable in many different subforums within it, but I feel here it's "talent or gtfo". You give those with talent what they deserve, yes, but for us without talent that just want to have some fun, you give a corner, a little box for us to all huddle in. I feel I'm not welcome at all in this subforum. I had intended to make a thread here showing off my frankensteins and taking requests. The challenge in it for me is to fuse what others want me to and with a color scheme they'd want, but apparently my level of a challenge isn't "good enough". It's like saying "if you're colorblind you can't drive"; people don't CHOOSE to be colorblind, they just are. And just because they don't see like the rest of us doesn't mean they're a bad driver, they just go about it a different way (memorizing what end of the light is what, memorizing sign shapes instead of colors, etc). Granted I can see merging threads to here if the person only has one or two, but what about that person on page 1 that has 40-something? What about me who has 19-ish and counting? Obviously if we make more than a handful we love doing it and do it often, thus need our own space.

But if our opinions or suggestions as your community members don't matter, then I guess whatever we may say won't mean anything. If we can't be treated equal and have our own threads, I simply won't ever visit this subforum.

Last edited:
Years
(Please note this is just constructive feedback, I'm not hating on anyone)
If I may state my personal opinion real quick here, I feel I don't "deserve to be in this forum at all" then. That's exactly how this thread makes me feel. I can't make my own fakemon or sprites or anything because I lack the talent. I do recolorings and frankensteining because it's fun to me, but apparently to show off my fun and have my own thread I have to be "better" than that. If I post my work here it'll only be seen by people until a new page starts in this thread, when everyone will automatically start looking at the new last page. I get critiqued by maybe two or three people, then nothing ever again unless I post my old work again and again as I make new ones. Then that's considered spam, so what am I supposed to do? Hope people read the first eighty seven pages to finally get to the one I'm on? I like this site a lot and I'm comfortable in many different subforums within it, but I feel here it's "talent or gtfo". You give those with talent what they deserve, yes, but for us without talent that just want to have some fun, you give a corner, a little box for us to all huddle in. I feel I'm not welcome at all in this subforum. I had intended to make a thread here showing off my frankensteins and taking requests. The challenge in it for me is to fuse what others want me to and with a color scheme they'd want, but apparently my level of a challenge isn't "good enough". It's like saying "if you're colorblind you can't drive"; people don't CHOOSE to be colorblind, they just are. And just because they don't see like the rest of us doesn't mean they're a bad driver, they just go about it a different way (memorizing what end of the light is what, memorizing sign shapes instead of colors, etc). Granted I can see merging threads to here if the person only has one or two, but what about that person on page 1 that has 40-something? What about me who has 19-ish and counting? Obviously if we make more than a handful we love doing it and do it often, thus need our own space.

But if our opinions or suggestions as your community members don't matter, then I guess whatever we may say won't mean anything. If we can't be treated equal and have our own threads, I simply won't ever visit this subforum.

But look at it from the point of view of the scratch spriters.

Lets say I spend 2 hours working on making a sprite from scratch, and then I decide to post it on my thread to get comments and criticism on it. Now, 5 minutes later, some random guy posts 27 recolors he did in those same 2 hours, and then gets three pages of comments on them, while I'm lucky to get one or two posts. Most even admit that they take no skill or effort, and take 2 or 3 minutes to do. Of course fusions take a little bit longer, and obviously some amount of skill, but.. most of the ones posted are mediocre and rushed.

The problem is that people don't try anything new and challenging that deserves a thread for it to be praised. You admit yourself, that it doesn't take talent to make recolors or fusions. Then, why should you be treated the same as people who actually do have talent? If you want to have fun with the other "talentless" people, then I'm sure they'll post in this thread and comment on them. Or you could make friends with them and comment on each other's sprites through VMs. You could post them in your albums and let people comment on them.

Also, read the rules. You can't take requests.

Years
InvertedEntei.png

An Entei Invert*.

*An invert is when you invert the colours of a sprite on Paint (Ctrl + I), get the palettes and then recolour the orignal sprite. Check it out! Invert the sprite, it will be Entei's ordinary colours (except for the eyes and outlines, and the shading will be the wrong way around (i.e. lightest shade as outline, and vica versa.).)

Magician Of Ice

Years
Nowhere in my post do I say "it takes no talent". True it takes less to do it, but that less is all that I have. I can do frankensteins of up to six pokemon and completely alter the color scheme, but I can't lay down a base model by scratch. So the only thing I'm doing with the originals when I make mine is using the default bases in tiny pieces. I don't know about you, but I feel privelaged enough to be able to do that. Question; if this sort of setup is so important, why is it not followed in other subforums? For example, the poetry subforum. (Now keep in mind this is just an example, but) I think I could blow half this site away with some of the ones I wrote (near 12 paragraphs long, taking a month or so to write, I've been writing for 7 years, etc), but does that mean that those just starting out or those that have only three paragraphs' worth don't deserve to be seen in their own thread? No. They took the time with the ability that they had, and did their best. They deserve to show off their two-paragraph poem about pink drunk polar bears just as I have a right to display mine.

But fine. If rules are rules and there's no room for negotiation I will leave this subforum for the pros. I'm just trying to speak out for the sum of us that don't have that much to offer. I would like to say though that I really like the idea of our own subforum. That would be awesome, and it would keep us from clogging this forum of your guys's. A subforum would be all that we'd ever need.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I'm a big ice-type fan as am I of Meowth, so I figured I would make an ice-type Meowth.

IcyMeowth.png

It's a mix between the R/S Meowth and Emerald Meowth sprite. Recolored, obviously.
I replaced the coin with an Icicle Plate.

Years
InvertedEntei.png

An Entei Invert*.

*An invert is when you invert the colours of a sprite on Paint (Ctrl + I), get the palettes and then recolour the orignal sprite. Check it out! Invert the sprite, it will be Entei's ordinary colours (except for the eyes and outlines, and the shading will be the wrong way around (i.e. lightest shade as outline, and vica versa.).)

The arguement covered up my sprite, so I'm posting it again. Here's a Deoxys recolour I just made, too:

DeoxysRecolour.png

Fox♠

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 16, 2011
Nowhere in my post do I say "it takes no talent". True it takes less to do it, but that less is all that I have. I can do frankensteins of up to six pokemon and completely alter the color scheme, but I can't lay down a base model by scratch. So the only thing I'm doing with the originals when I make mine is using the default bases in tiny pieces. I don't know about you, but I feel privelaged enough to be able to do that. Question; if this sort of setup is so important, why is it not followed in other subforums? For example, the poetry subforum. (Now keep in mind this is just an example, but) I think I could blow half this site away with some of the ones I wrote (near 12 paragraphs long, taking a month or so to write, I've been writing for 7 years, etc), but does that mean that those just starting out or those that have only three paragraphs' worth don't deserve to be seen in their own thread? No. They took the time with the ability that they had, and did their best. They deserve to show off their two-paragraph poem about pink drunk polar bears just as I have a right to display mine.

But fine. If rules are rules and there's no room for negotiation I will leave this subforum for the pros. I'm just trying to speak out for the sum of us that don't have that much to offer. I would like to say though that I really like the idea of our own subforum. That would be awesome, and it would keep us from clogging this forum of your guys's. A subforum would be all that we'd ever need.

Look, although I appreciate that you feel excluded let me tell you something.
We had some really great and I mean great Pixel artists here (Allstories, Opacus etc) who have since stopped posting in this section because the flood of half baked recolour threads that completely plagued the sub forum.

Recolours don't take skill, at all, you just get the eye drop and flood fill tools. I've being coming to this bit of the forums for over 4 years now and I've seen so much talent go to waste in favour of recolours. You say you only do it for fun? That's cool, but the majority of Pixel artists take Pixel art as a serious hobby, we like to improve, to be noticed and to receive our fair share of comments, and 90% of the regulars here will agree that this thread has being one of the best moves the Pixel Art Mods have made in a long time.

The arguement covered up my sprite, so I'm posting it again. Here's a Deoxys recolour I just made, too:

DeoxysRecolour.png
The turquoise on the Entei is a little sharp, try subduing it a little.

Deoxys palette is nice though.

I forgot about this thread, I guess I'll post my Aipom and Ambipom recolours here.

Swift.png
EvolvedSwift.png

I like the reds there, they're a nice tone, .Swift.

Magician Of Ice

Years
I'm sorry if I've come off as a "drama queen", that wasn't my intention. If this matter was given it's chance already or if a majority of this forum voted or requested this then I'm all for a majority vote, I just happened to be on the losing end. I can respect that. I didn't know it was addressed already, I thought it was just an "on a whim" thing. I guess when you put it that way it sounds stupid for me to be complaining; "Hey, give them their own spot please" "NO I DONT WANT IT" ... ha. If I can find some of my better ones I may post them.

SytheXP

Net Labs/UG Founder
Years
I'm sorry if I've come off as a "drama queen", that wasn't my intention. If this matter was given it's chance already or if a majority of this forum voted or requested this then I'm all for a majority vote, I just happened to be on the losing end. I can respect that. I didn't know it was addressed already, I thought it was just an "on a whim" thing. I guess when you put it that way it sounds stupid for me to be complaining; "Hey, give them their own spot please" "NO I DONT WANT IT" ... ha. If I can find some of my better ones I may post them.

I saw no drama I saw you state your opinion. However as a sprite/pixel artist I must for the most part disagree with you and side with the people like Fox. I have like 3 posts on my thread that arnt updates or me begging for critique so I can improve..... And a while back before I started focusing on graduating very hardly it was even tougher than that. I would be lucky to have 1 comment and it would not be of any help to me. I love recolors and fusions as much as the next person but it really takes minimal talent to produce these. However thats how I started learning to sprite. recoloring leads to fusing and that leads to scratching. Just work at it, get fairly decent, keep a portfolio of your work. Then after youves accumulated several sprites that are not recolors or fusions simply make a thread to show your work. I had to search 4 computers to get my sprites (Most of which I have found out were deleted) Anyway I wish you the best of luck. Just work at spriting and eventually you will be great. Some talent you are born with and some you can gain. If you enjoy spriting and work hard enough you can gain the ability to sprite.

ShaySkymin

It's thaaaaaank Shaymin time!
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 6, 2012
I think i'll repost my Chao since everybody kinda ignored them. I haven't posted here in quite a while, I may edit this with other sprites...
Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back