• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Which Pokemon Game For My Son

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2013
I have a 7 year old son who loves the show Pokemon BW Rival Destinies. He is a pretty good gamer. We have played all the Lego XBOX360 games together. He also has a DS and 3DS that he plays with. Unfortunately, I know nothing about Pokemon. Can someone recommend which DS or 3DS game he should start with. Does it matter? Will he be able to play them, or are they above his gaming level? Thanks in advance.

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 21, 2021
Pokemon Soul Silver/Heart Gold are two good games for the DS. They also come with a pedometer that you can put your pokemon onto, and gain more experience for them.
You can find them in all the common stores (Walmart, Best Buy, etc.) and anywhere online, with a price of $40.
Let us know how it goes!

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
I'd suggest either Heart Gold/Soul Silver or Black 2/White 2. All of those games have a nice assortment of Pokemon, and are a good amount of fun to play. However, I'd be more inclined to suggest B2/W2 if your son likes the new show.

Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for all the advice. We watched the IGN video review of B2/W2 and he really liked what he saw. Probably because it matched up with the tv show. Not sure why, but he seemed inclined to the White version, so we're picking it up tonight. Would he need/want to play the Black version afterwards, or is it too similar? Please forgive my ignorance on this topic. If only he played StarCraft 2, I wouldn't have to ask all these questions :) Again, I really appreciate the advice.

Years
Thanks for all the advice. We watched the IGN video review of B2/W2 and he really liked what he saw. Probably because it matched up with the tv show. Not sure why, but he seemed inclined to the White version, so we're picking it up tonight. Would he need/want to play the Black version afterwards, or is it too similar? Please forgive my ignorance on this topic. If only he played StarCraft 2, I wouldn't have to ask all these questions :) Again, I really appreciate the advice.

Black is literally the EXACT same game, minus a few minor changes. (such as the mascot legendary Pokemon and one or two in-game locations)

There are a few Pokemon that are version-exclusive, so you'd technically need to get both games if you wanted all the B2/W2 Pokemon, but it really isn't that big of a deal. He wouldn't be missing much if he didn't play Black 2.
I would just stick with getting only White 2.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
Hello! I'm glad your son has decided to being playing the Pokemon series. Maybe you should too. I don't watch the anime, but hopefully the games will be enjoyable to him.
Pokemon Black 2/White 2 are both absolutely lovely to play. However, if your son is only seven, I have the doubt in my mind that he won't be able to appreciate the games fully. There's a lot of complicated mechanics concerning the battles and Pokemon, and of course there are tons of little details regarding the plot, setting, and the like that I fear a seven-year-old might gloss over. I'm sure that your son will be able to play the game fine, but I just wanted to say that he might not appreciate the games as much as he might if he was older.
(I have no idea what StarCraft is, so if I ever decide to start that series I'll be sure to come to you.)

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Hi, I'm no mod or anything but on behalf of PokéCommunity I'm glad you came to us for advice!

If your son loves the new show, I recommend getting Pokémon Black or White, and the sequel to the game of choice (Black 2 or White 2). This is what I did.

Differences between Black and White are a few exclusive Pokémon in each version. Refer to Bulbapedia or Serebii.net for information on that.

There are also changes in locations. Black has Black City, which is where you can get a few very good items to evolve Pokémon. White has the White Forest, a place where you can catch a few other Pokémon from previous generations which aren't anywhere in Black.

Another difference is the appearance of Opelucid City. In Black, it's futuristic, while in White it has a more natural look.

If your son needs help to play the games, I suggest playing with him, it's one of the coolest things a parent can do to their child. I loved when dad played videogames with me, he introduced me to Atari gaming way back in the day and bought my Genesis and SNES, and played with me and my sister. Who knows, you may even start enjoying Pokémon yourself! The games are for all ages, I'm 25 and play Pokémon since 1999, because I love the concept.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I would definitely recommend Pokemon Heart Gold or Soul Silver, and perhaps even Diamond or Pearl, Platinum, Black and White and Black 2/White 2!

Anyway, threads like these don't really belong in 4th Gen; and as I see there's been a number of quality suggestions, I'll close this up!

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back