• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: Pokemon: Super Rising Thunder!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB

Tranquilo.
Years
Holy...your back! Been a while, huh? Hope life is going extremely well for you right now, and wow those screens look amazing! Ah, stereotypical Southern accent I see with Beautifly there? Cool...

I have no problem with 'boring old you' either...take your time and Happy Holidays!

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Apr 17, 2022
Merry Christmas, everyone!
In fact, I have a present for you. The Super Rising Thunder! Pre-Alpha release is here!

I was meaning to release a full alpha (and I did indeed do a lot of work towards this goal - just in ways you can't see) but I ran out of time before my Christmas deadline hit. ^^' So to whet your appetites until I get the game fully into alpha state, I thought I would release what I have so far for feedback. You have been so wonderfully patient throughout all the time it's taken me to progress on this game, and I wish to reward you for this understanding, even if it's not QUITE at the stage I wanted it to be before first release.

What's in the Pre-Alpha?

-Everything you saw in the Intro videos
-One Mini-Dungeon, one full Dungeon, and part of another (the puzzle is complete, but the battle that reveals the exit tile is blocked off)
-Previously unrevealed dialogue and the full scripts all those screenshots came from :D
-The Physical/Special split (Thanks to Chaos Rush's patch!). The Contest screen has been hacked to display information about Physical, Special, and Neutral moves, and the Hero Pichu's stats have been tweaked accordingly (he now specializes in Attack instead of Special Attack).
-Lots of Final Fantasy tunes!

Well, what about the bugs?

-Don't die past the first Mini-Dungeon (it's okay to die before then). Save often and reset if death happens. This is because when you respawn, you will end up in glitchy areas because I haven't scripted in the "game over" event yet (it will be in the proper Alpha).
-Don't use the Long Stick. This Key Item was once an Ultra Ball, and selecting "Use" from the Bag menu will freeze the game. (It has no purpose in the Pre-Alpha, anyway. It will in the Alpha, though).
-ALWAYS select Picture One during the intro. Support for selecting Picture Two has not yet been added into the game, and selecting this will result in you walking around as the Green recolor from Jersey Quest. Which could be fun, I suppose, to be the sole human among Pokemon. A human with a Pichu for a sister. XD
-A few small issues with warps. Sometimes, when you warp to another map, a dialogue box pops up for a split second, or your character may randomly take a step. I don't know why this happens, but it does. It does not break the game in any way.
-There's a small error with Pansy the Beautifly's mugshot during her introductory script. Depending on where you're standing, it either works fine or goes miscolored or even black.
-A few small bits of dialogue haven't been changed yet. The text when the effects of a Putri Berry (the game's version of a Repel) wears off reads "Off!'s effect wore off" as a relic of back when this ROM was Jersey Quest. Trying to use Key Items where you're not supposed to still causes your Dad to yell at you. Checking Berry Tags reveals nothing has been changed yet. There might also be a few small things I've missed; if you notice them, please tell me. :)
-The Jersey Quest hero and heroine and one of the old, poorly-sprited Jersey Quest fakemon appear during the intro, if you let it load. How embarrassing ^^' *ducks head in shame*

For people who have been following this thread and have read it actively, there should be very little new revealed storyline wise - the main draw will be to try out the gameplay style, however brief. For those who are totally unfamiliar with what the game entails, it is your feedback I value the most. What is your overall impression of the Pre-Alpha? I want to know the thoughts of you longtime followers too, though. :D How's the game play? Is it too easy? Too hard? Too many traps? Too few? Have any idea for future Dungeon puzzles?

The ROM is locked for fairly obvious reasons - one puzzle is already easily exploitable with savestate cheating (Though I hope you won't do that. Sucks the fun out ^^' ); and I don't want people going in to Advance Map to see where all the items and traps and healing spots are, and to simply cheat their way through. Cheating will severely diminish the fun :(

Anyway, there you have it! This is a .UPS file, so if you do not know how to patch one of these, read this: http://www.ehow.com/how_10043236_apply-ups-patches-gba-rom.html , and download the UPS Patcher here: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/519/ . You need a Ruby (AXVE) ROM.

May your holidays be merry and bright, and I hope you enjoy my gift to you! :D

If you have already downloaded the file, please redownload it. I found a small bug in play-through where the Spearow were giving out huge amounts of EXP, and tweaked this back down to normal levels.

Last edited:

SuperLaluigi

Back after a long break
Years
Awsome Hack! i cant wait for the second beta anyways what is your team called i was planning to join your team the aplacation form information i will post that in your team form.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
wow. I can't believe what I'm seeing! o.o
an alpha! :D wheee~

Thanks for the christmas gift~ :)
I'll be playing this for a while. :D

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
Thank you Parka for all your hard work!
I was just looking for a hack to try out too..then you finally released a ''pre-alpha'' xD

Sylvie18

Stray Cat
Years
  • Age 31
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 1, 2015
I was just looking for a new game to play in between my coursework and stumbled upon this,X3 i like its concept and the pokemon's interpretations of the world :D i think i shall be keeping a close eye on this thread, nice work :)

GXS

<---Following Red ;P
Years
  • Seen Dec 19, 2012
Thanks so much for this! I've been waiting months to finally see a playable version of this game and you've delivered! I wish you the best on continueing this!!!!

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
After I patch the game and get past the title screen, this happens:
Bug.png

whichever option I select, the game goes back to the bootscreen and repeats the process. :/
The same thing happens to me. Did you bypass input checksum as well?

EDIT: Download another ROM, it worked for me.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Yay! I love the dark story and amazing gamplay! Although I'm having a problem with not being able to lose after the mini dungeon. I just reached Freya but I'm out of PP for Super Thunder and no PP restoring items, also no other attacking moves and I already saved! I think I'm screwed, might have to start a new game to be prepared.

I find the gameplay in perfect balance, but do you think you can make the Slowpoke Trap wear off after a while? I hit it too early and it's slow going through the entire dungeon without running.

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
Years
I got around to playing the demo and it was just as great as I expected if not better. You managed to follow the Mystery Dungeon formula almost perfectly! Anyways, I really enjoyed it!

MsAllyJacqui

I'm different.
Years
I'm going have to play the demo as soon as I can, This hack looks fantastic. The idea of merging Mystery Dungeon to ruby/firered has been done numerous times before, but they way that you've pulled it off makes it stand out really well.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I'm going to play this pre-alpha, as I am very interested in it. However, when trying to patch, the patcher keeps giving me "Input checksum not valid". I think the problem lies with the ROM I'm attempting to patch, right?

If so, I wonder what version of the Ruby ROM I need... I think there are lots of versions floating around. Seems like every one of them have a bit of difference...

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 18, 2020
One of the most unique hacks I've ever played.

Im a bit gutted that I couldn't find out what to do with the Pachirisu in the first mini-dungeon ...and it was a one time only area :(

Years
  • Seen Dec 7, 2012
Wow, I love this! As a huge fan of PMD, this game has just the vibe I was looking for. The dead Momo sprite was tragic though. T.T I understand wanting to make the game a little darker, but was all that blood necessary?

The only thing I'd have to say though, is make the healing traps more common - without any PP restoring items that early in the game, when a trap gets rid of the PP for SuperRisingThunder and all you have left as an attack is 3 PP for Quick Attack, it can get very frustrating.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I'm going to play this pre-alpha, as I am very interested in it. However, when trying to patch, the patcher keeps giving me "Input checksum not valid". I think the problem lies with the ROM I'm attempting to patch, right?

If so, I wonder what version of the Ruby ROM I need... I think there are lots of versions floating around. Seems like every one of them have a bit of difference...

Yes, you do need a different ROM. It happened to me too, until I tried a different ROM.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the game, but I found it really annoying that I kept running out of PP for Super Rising Thunder in dungeons, I had to restart from my savestate about 3 times because I kept dying with no PP. Other than that though, it was a fun pre-alpha, and I liked how there's actually a puzzle in one of the dungeons. :D Good luck!

Lucifer-san

[i]Recently Revived Zombie[/i]
Years
Have finally gotten over to the puzzle in the dungeon and now im stuck its frustrating because so far this has been a interesting playthrough for me. Heh all in all the game so far has been amazing, now all I have to do is figure out that puzzle or is it even necessary so you can pass the dungeon and reach Freya?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back