• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your suggestions for Essentials

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Oh. My bad then, meant the display names.

Sometimes it's really just the matter of a single character missing in the name because the character limit doesn't allow it. Wouldn't be the first time I've needed to rename some of the Fakemon, for example, because there was a single character missing at the end.

I'm just saying it would allow a little more flexibility for the developers.
Feraligatr and Victreebel have already suffered from the 10-char limit.

I actually think having the limit is more useful for developers, since it tells them that word X (species name, item name, move name) will never be bigger than such and such, so they can more easily design their GUI knowing that there will never be lengthy names which they would otherwise need to allow for. I know the limits are helping me in my GUI redesign.

If it wasn't for that, I would have at least upped the limits already. However, "that" is really too important to change.

I think there should be a way to get variables, and stuff to become part of map names, for example something like [PN]'s Room would become Sally's Room or w.e name is defined as PN, and the same with variables [V23] is variable number 23.
You make a very interesting suggestion. I hadn't thought of that before. I'll definitely have a look into it.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
You make a very interesting suggestion. I hadn't thought of that before. I'll definitely have a look into it.

IIRC, I think NM7, HM7, and etc uses it when its defining the camera view, also making the text into different colors, like [\\b] will be the color blue.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
If the player backsprite animation only had one frame, them the backsprite throws the ball only when it is offscreen.
If you put only one backsprite is strange to see the ball coming from its head or something similar...

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
This is just a feature some friends thought would be pretty neat - the ability to set nicknames for Pokemon belonging to NPCs, mostly for just major characters and the like.

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Seconding the above. I'd also like, more so, clearer control of Trainer teams, abilities at least (though I feel like there's probably someway to do this with a script?) but maybe EVs, too?
My audience hails from an online battle simulator- they're used to competitive grade battles. AI will never measure up to humans, so I'd like to be able to at least construct the teams intelligently, rather than resorting to jacking up the levels for difficulty.

I'll compile a larger suggestion list for you as well, after I release my next demo.

SytheXP

Net Labs/UG Founder
Years
1. I have successfully made a boulder pushing puzzle WITHOUT SCRIPTING, you just need to read the map x/y of the puzzle and when they are correct an autorun/parrellel process runs the effect.

2. I thought this was already possible (didn't check yet...)

3. I would like to see a universal screen like the i-pad and other things it's 1 screen but you can touch(in this case click) on an object and something will happen(mostly used for Guis....) but using these for pokedex scrolling/battles/pokegear it could be better(in terms of features, I really hate using the D-pad in the hand-held games for typing my name/ other processes that may take a while(1 minutes+) excluding battles though...)

In response to #3

In the latest version of essentials you can change it so you can type the characters name and pokemon nick names. heres a link to me explaining how to do so. Not sure if this is exactly what you mean but it touches base on the Name entry

http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorial:Allowing_Keyboard_Text_Entry

Maruno

Years
This is just a feature some friends thought would be pretty neat - the ability to set nicknames for Pokemon belonging to NPCs, mostly for just major characters and the like.
To set the scene, you can already define the species/level/IVs/held item/moveset/shininess/Shadowness of a trainer's Pokémon.

Off the top of my head, the following properties may also be fair game for being defined: form/gender/nature/ability/happiness/EVs/nickname/ballused.

That's a huge amount of things. I will certainly add more options, but I'd rather not add all those in if I can help it. EVs and ballused will probably not be options, and I'm unsure about happiness and nature.

Cue the cries of: "But I want it all!" Give me good reasons, then.

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2017
Setting Trainer pokemon EVs, Natures, and Abilities would be the options I'd want most. Form is also up there, but it is something that can be set with held items easily, so it is less necessary in my eyes.

ForeverRed

teeheeee
Years
I'd like to see scrolling through large or connected region maps.
Like the connected Johto and Kanto? or taller/longer regions that are possibly surpass the set size?
Probably just something I want to see...

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
I deffinitly request more actions on a trainer, Gender for one... The rest have been covered!

EDIT: I meant NPC's Pokémon by the way haha.

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2022
I bring a contribution for Pokebattle_MoveEffect.
They all work well, except the last one.

################################################################################
# After inflicting damage, user switches out. Ignores trapping moves.#U-turn, Volt Change
################################################################################
class PokeBattle_Move_0EE < PokeBattle_Move_000
def pbEffect(attacker,opponent)
ret=super(attacker,opponent)
if @battle.pbCanChooseNonActive?(attacker.index)
newpoke=0
@battle.pbAnimation(@id,attacker,nil)
[email protected](attacker.index,true,false)
@battle.pbReplace(attacker.index,newpoke)
end
return ret
end
end
# Target flees from battle. In trainer battles, target switches out instead.
# Fails if target is a higher level than the user. For damaging moves.
#Circle Throw, Dragon Tail
class PokeBattle_Move_0EC < PokeBattle_Move_000
ret=super(attacker,opponent)
if opponent.ability==PBAbilities::SUCTIONCUPS
@battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("{1} anchors itself with Suction Cups!",opponent.pbThis))
return -1
end
if opponent.effects[PBEffects::Ingrain]
@battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("{1} anchored itself with its roots!",opponent.pbThis))
return -1
end
if [email protected]
[email protected](256)
varA=((x*(attacker.level+opponent.level)/256).floor+1)
varB=(opponent.level/4).floor
if varA<=varB
@battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("But i failed!"))
return -1
end
@battle.decision=3 # Set decision to escaped
return 0
else
choices=[]
[email protected](opponent.index)
for i in 0..party.length-1
choices[choices.length]=i if @battle.pbCanSwitchLax?(opponent.index,i,false)
end
if choices.length==0
@battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("But it failed!"))
return -1
end
newpoke=choices[@battle.pbRandom(choices.length)]
@battle.pbAnimation(@id,attacker,opponent)
opponent.pbInitialize(party[newpoke],newpoke,false)
if [email protected]?(opponent.index)
@battle.pbPlayer.seen[party[newpoke].species]=true
@battle.scene.pbTrainerSendOut(opponent.index,party[newpoke])
else
@battle.scene.pbSendOut(opponent.index,party[newpoke])
end
@battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("{1} was dragged out!",opponent.pbThis))
@battle.pbOnActiveOne(opponent)
return 0
end
end
end
# Target's ability becomes Simple.
#SIMPLE
class PokeBattle_Move_063 < PokeBattle_Move_000
if opponent.ability==PBAbilities::SIMPLE
return -1
end
opponent.ability=PBAbilities::SIMPLE
@battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("{1} changed {2}'s ability to Simple!",attacker.pbThis,opponent.pbThis))
return 0
end
end
# Target's ability becomes Insomnia.
#WORRY SEED
class PokeBattle_Move_064 < PokeBattle_Move_000
if opponent.ability==PBAbilities::INSOMNIA
return -1
end
opponent.ability=PBAbilities::INSOMNIA
@battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("{1} changed {2}'s ability to Insomnia!",attacker.pbThis,opponent.pbThis))
return 0
end
end
# User copes target's types.
#REFLECT TYPE
class PokeBattle_Move_062 < PokeBattle_Move_000
@battle.pbAnimation(@id,attacker,opponent)
attacker.type1=opponent.type1
attacker.type2=opponent.type2
@battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("{1} copied the {2}'s {3}!",attacker.pbThis,typename))
return 0
end
end
This effect(Reflect Type) is not completely nice, I do not know in that circumstances it has to fail.

"@battle.pbDisplay(_INTL("{1} copied the {2}'s {3}!",attacker.pbThis,typename))"
It me does not work, I do not know because.

What is clear is that it works copying the types of the rival. Shiftry copied the types Dark/Flying, and Wing Attack damaged to him neutral.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Aug 31, 2023
is multiple saves possible in this version if not then it would be nice is so how?

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
is multiple saves possible in this version if not then it would be nice is so how?

It could be possible manually, you could copy the save file to another location such as the desktop and then overwrite the previous save. while your in game and depending on the game u want to start u could switch between them manually.

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
In Maruno's to-do list, multiple saves is a possible intended feature.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Multiple saves can easily be done, check around, there are a few scripts already available, just have to change some things, but that's what learning is about, right?!

I will have a look soon if Maruno doesn't see this as an Essential... It's not essential to me as why would I save 2 games?! It's a form of cheating! I don't approve.

Rai Rai

Master of everything!
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2012
Multiple saves really is not that hard. All you need is the save file function to be dependent on a game variable for it's game save name. For instance for the save system in my game it's set up with all the save commands that are all defining the game save name and calling the name is like this "Game#{$savevariable}.rxdata" The game save number gets changed by the Global variable $savevariable.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Aug 31, 2023
could an in battle form indicator be added (like we have an indicator that shows if we own the pokemon could something similar be added showing we own the form

Maruno

Years
could an in battle form indicator be added (like we have an indicator that shows if we own the pokemon could something similar be added showing we own the form
I think that's too specific; an indicator for whether the species has been owned is enough. After all, things can depend on the number of species owned.

If you want to change it yourself, go to PokeBattle_Battler and edit line 199.

Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2012
an awkward request

This might be an awkward request but I am making a Pokemon game that has a very evil corporation. I was wondering, if some could add a function where the player can actually get a 'Game Over' instead of being sent to the last visited Pokemon center.
The game I am creating is more like a role playing game.
if there is already a way to give the player a 'Game Over' tell me to do it.
thank you

Back