• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
It's scary how often I fix an issue at work by restating an application, if that doesn't work, restating the computer fixes the issue 95% of the time.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I agree with Buoysie. The majority of the tech problems can easily be solved by just restarting. I've had this happen lots of times.

Most recently I had to fix my landlord's internet modem because she claimed it was acting funky. Turned out she needed to apply an update.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
i'm not in IT but friends usually text me for help about their computers

99% of the time they just had to reboot their PCs. such is the amazing world of computers (or should i say COM-pew-ters?).

this video has nothing to do with the topic but it's about IT crowd wahey

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
Years
I usually either turn it on and off or I hit it multiple times.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
Alternatively have you tried kicking it? Heh

Praise be the power of the restart! I should really restart some computers I use more often. Only, restarting on a small portion of computers that I use for projects is actually a bad idea, because it then takes a solid twenty minutes for the damn thing to start up again.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I've watched The IT Crowd with my mom, so I know she knows it's a running joke among tech people to ask that question first and foremost in a troubleshooting conversation. So every time she asks me for help with something, I actually feel bad when that's the first question I ask. But the kicker? That's the solution at least half the time. Sometimes she even laughs and repeats the question back to me the way Moss always says it. It's always so awkward when, of course, it's the solution!!!!

Years
Parents often come running to me since switching to an IT program, and even before then, they'd bring their gadget problems to me.

There have been a couple times where the Apple TV downstairs becomes glitchy and what-not, not playing YouTube videos, and a simple restart of the device fixes everything. Can't exactly blame my parents since they're not the most competent people when it comes to technology, but for those who have the ability to fix issues themselves, please try using Google before asking around -sigh-

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
There have been a couple times where the Apple TV downstairs becomes glitchy and what-not, not playing YouTube videos, and a simple restart of the device fixes everything. Can't exactly blame my parents since they're not the most competent people when it comes to technology, but for those who have the ability to fix issues themselves, please try using Google before asking around -sigh-
I feel like this is always the second question I ask. "Did you try turning it off and on again?" "Yes" "Did you google your issue?" "Huh?"

Sometimes it totally baffles me how this isn't the very first thing anyone thinks of, but I guess it's probably easier for parents to call you so that you can google it for them. :P

Years
I feel like this is always the second question I ask. "Did you try turning it off and on again?" "Yes" "Did you google your issue?" "Huh?"

Sometimes it totally baffles me how this isn't the very first thing anyone thinks of, but I guess it's probably easier for parents to call you so that you can google it for them. :P

It's normally the first question I ask whenever someone other than my parents come around and inquire about something IT-related. Especially questions about hardware. Albeit I may be in an IT program studying to become a systems analyst, but hardware is not our focus, programming is. For some reason, my friends think I know everything there is to know about technology -sigh- I just tell them to go Google it, it'll save us both the time and effort.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 27, 2016
Haha, this reminds me of on TalesFromTechSupport on Reddit. This usually does the trick lol, surprises me how many times this works.

Back