• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Patch

Have you downloaded (and used) this patch?

• Yes

Votes: 66 61.7%
  • No

Votes: 41 38.3%

• Total voters

Skaraborne

The sharpest 'mon in the thread
Years
The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Patch
Hi all, welcome to a new SlowpokeStudios patch thread. Today I'm introducing The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Patch. Probably you all know Chaos Rush' Sprite Resource. Many patches have a few (or all) of his sprites inserted. But we've got one major problem: for as far as I know there isn't any patch that only inserts the sprites without making any other changes to the ROM. Well, now there is. The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Patch is a fanmade patch that completely 'updates' all Pokémon sprites.

Patch Information
Base: Pokémon FireRed (BPRE), Pokémon Emerald (BPEE). Note that the Emerald patch disables Pokémon animations. Note: the current patch does work with MrDollSteak's, but we have only tested for FireRed U. If you tried for FireRed E and it works, please let me know in the comments or VM/PM me.
Effect: Changes the Pokémon sprites to match Chaos Rush' DS-style 64x64 Sprite Resource.

Downloads
The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Patch.zip

Known Bugs
Milotic's shiny sprites are slightly glitched.
Piloswine and Corsola shiny backsprites are slightly glitched.
Both Pelipper backsprites are partly transparent.
All Pokémon sprites on PET Trainer Editor are slightly glitched; this does not harm gameplay in any way.
Feel free to report any bugs in the comments, or shoot me a VM/PM. They will be fixed as soon as possible.

Credits
Slowpoke13 (myself): All the boring sprite inserting work... (and the Sudowoodo edited sprite)
The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource: Pokémon sprites
Chaos Rush: Animation disabling for Emerald

Other Important Info
This patch is free to use, but always give credit to The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Patch and The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource.
And lastly, I won't work on the patches for R, S and LG if nobody asks me. If someone is looking for the sprites on Ruby, Sapphire or LeafGreen, VM/PM me or quote this phrase in a comment.
Happy hacking!

Last edited:

Skaraborne

Years
Waiting for Emerald :)

Hope for your success...

Inserting PokeSprites are very easy but Sooo BORING..

Thanks! I want to start on Emerald right away but I couldn't do them moving like other Emerald sprites. Is that a problem for you?

Indeed... I hate inserting all the Pokémon stuff since you have to do it a whopping 380 times!

Sefuree

Canada Goose
Years
Thanks! I want to start on Emerald right away but I couldn't do them moving like other Emerald sprites. Is that a problem for you?

Indeed... I hate inserting all the Pokémon stuff since you have to do it a whopping 380 times!

I doesn't matter to me. (bohemian rhapsody reference)

Why are you doing it for leaf green?

Sefuree

Canada Goose
Years
That's a really good question... I'll remove LeafGreen from the 'coming soon' thing and maybe I'll make it if somebody asks me...

Same thing with Sapphire. I've never seen anyone use it in a pokemon hack. This doesn't mean you can't do them but, you should finish Emerald and Ruby first.

Skaraborne

Years
Same thing with Sapphire. I've never seen anyone use it in a pokemon hack. This doesn't mean you can't do them but, you should finish Emerald and Ruby first.

Certainly right... I'll remove these right away! Btw HerobrineHunter as long as you don't reply I start on Ruby, I don't want to do the
HerobrineHunter said:
work if I only get a reply like 'If the sprites aren't moving, don't do it' or something. Let me know and I'll start on E!

Sefuree

Canada Goose
Years
Certainly right... I'll remove these right away! Btw HerobrineHunter as long as you don't reply I start on Ruby, I don't want to do the work if I only get a reply like 'If the sprites aren't moving, don't do it' or something. Let me know and I'll start on E!

Well, if it's okay with you, i would like emerald first.

Sefuree

Canada Goose
Years
Ok I'll start on it right now! (Note it will not be with moving sprites) Thanks for all the support already everyone!

That's fine. I can't wait. I the FR base compatible with JPAN's engine and MrDs' rom base?
Thanks in advance!

Skaraborne

Years
That's fine. I can't wait. I the FR base compatible with JPAN's engine and MrDs' rom base?
Thanks in advance!

The patch should be compatible with JPAN's Hacked Engine and MrDollsteak's ROM base. It only rewrites sprite offsets if I'm correct. Take a backup and test it :) ! If it doesn't I can make a patch that works with JPAN's engine and MrDs' base when I have some spare time.

Last edited:

Skaraborne

Years
Not really...haha

Waiting men.
How many hours you use by inserting all of it?

Not really what?

It took me about 2-3 hours (and that' s already too much) to do it on FireRed, including cutting of the female sprites of Pokémon with gender differences. It will take more for Emerald I guess, I'm still figuring out how to remove animated sprites... But Emerald patch should be ready by wednesday (it's school in the meantime, remember?) Since I guess you meant the patch isn't compatible with JPAN's engine and MrDs' base I'll have to rewrite, so if you need it it will be ready by saturday or so...

EDIT: Emerald glitches out completely... I patched it with a disable animations patch, so I hope that's the problem? I'll try with clean ROM now.

Last edited:

Skaraborne

Years
UPDATE: Gen I has been nearly finished for Emerald! High chances of it being completed still today!

Last edited by a moderator:

Skaraborne

Years
Okay guys something goes wrong with Emerald... I came back home and tried my Emerald patch (not completed) on my other laptop and poof... G3HS couldn't even start it! I'll look into this more, the Emerald patch is still going to be released wednesday for now. Thanks for your notion.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
I thought Chaos's sprites were a series ready.. And you know there's an import all button, right?

Years
For those asking, it probably is compatible with JPAN's engine(why aren't you using the tool first of all the tool is compatible with almost everything), but as long as it doesn't overwrite any offsets that are being used by MrDS's stuff it'll work. However, if MrDS's changed bytes and the sprites' changed bytes overlap you'll get some really odd results.

Skaraborne

Years
I thought Chaos's sprites were a series ready.. And you know there's an import all button, right?

So there is a patch for it already? Some guys hadn't noticed then ;) , and now they have a new one. Btw that 'import all' button inserts only 4 sprites a time right?

NewDenverCity said:
For those asking, it probably is compatible with JPAN's engine(why aren't you using the tool first of all the tool is compatible with almost everything), but as long as it doesn't overwrite any offsets that are being used by MrDS's stuff it'll work. However, if MrDS's changed bytes and the sprites' changed bytes overlap you'll get some really odd results.
Thanks, I don't use his engine so I didn't have a chance to test it. I'll try with MrDs' base right now, post will be updated in a second.

UPDATE: Emerald works now :P

Years
No, there is no current patch for either FireRed or Emerald yet, but he's referencing Wichu's sprite editor, which has an insert all tool. You need to label all the sprites 0-400 or whatever the correct number is and it'll completely insert them all if they're in the same file.

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
As for Emerald, you could either wait for MrDollSteak's fork of the project that adds animation frames, or you can disable animation completely and just throw in the sprites.

FYI: some of them don't match up correctly palette-wise for whatever reason in Emerald, you might want to get an alternate set for whenever that happens.

Back