• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KhaosKnight

The 1 and only Khaotic Hacker
Years
  • Seen May 28, 2015
New guy with a question, look out.

I'm curious, is there a tool that can not only assemble a THUMB routine but also patch it to a game? XSE does something like this, though specifically for scripting. I've been hacking Super Mario World for quite some time and use a program that does this for SNES' brand of Assembly, called xkas. In that sort of format it's easier to overwrite existing addresses and keep everything organized.

It's certainly not a deal-breaker if there isn't something like that, but I'd find it pretty useful.

I believe HackMew released something like that some time ago, though I can't remember what it is called. I don't think it is posted here, but a Google search might bring something.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
New guy with a question, look out.

I'm curious, is there a tool that can not only assemble a THUMB routine but also patch it to a game? XSE does something like this, though specifically for scripting. I've been hacking Super Mario World for quite some time and use a program that does this for SNES' brand of Assembly, called xkas. In that sort of format it's easier to overwrite existing addresses and keep everything organized.

It's certainly not a deal-breaker if there isn't something like that, but I'd find it pretty useful.

No. Not currently. I started writing one, but it's still not finished. Not even a little bit.

Years
  • Seen Nov 3, 2019
0. You mean code that lets you continue after you've lost both? It can't be done, like we said, without extensive editing, and I haven't managed to get to that level

2. If you want to replace the ?????????? sprites, you might want to check out Poke Edit Pro. All the ?????????? Pokemon point to the same sprite, so you need to edit those pointers to point to different sprites, and Poke Edit Pro can do that easily enough. Alternatively, you might want to look in getting a .net framework, if it's interfering with your hacking.

A side note: The ?????????? Pokemon don't get Pokedex entries, unless Jambo would like to detail how he gave those 25 slots dex entries in his 649 Patch...

0) ...

2) Without that, I think I need to insert sprite offset to free space. But how do insert sprite to these free space? If I use UNLZ-gba at the ?????????? sprite import the sprite I need, then click write to rom and write the Image pointer free space I needed, and click ok. Then I import another pokemon sprite and write to rom, after that, Then I do the same things but the Image pointer is different. Then I open Poke Edit Pro and change the two ?????????? sprite pointer to the pointer I inserted early.
That correct? If correct, Pallent offset also need to do like this?

I have more question hope have someone answer me.

A) If I use Showpokepic command at XSE, when I test at game It show pokemon sprite and has cry sound when pokepics is appeared, how do I make it when show pokepic but no cry sound effect?

Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2012
I was wondering is there a way to make it so you get the national pokedex toward the beginning or maybe even start with it?

Also, thank you all for assisting me with my pokemon battle script problems. It took a little bit of tinkering but I got it taken care of so thanks to everyone who responded to my question. Each of your replies had a little bit to do with what had been causing my problem.

Years
u gotta use the command "special 0x16f" in a script to activate it... so if u want to get it in the beginning, add that command to a script in the beginning

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Quick question, how come when I move certain sprites to different location in a city, they still stay in their original spots? For example, the woman in Cerulean that has the Slowpoke/Slowbro in from of the mart, I moved them and then when I tested the map, she was still in the same spot.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Quick question, how come when I move certain sprites to different location in a city, they still stay in their original spots? For example, the woman in Cerulean that has the Slowpoke/Slowbro in from of the mart, I moved them and then when I tested the map, she was still in the same spot.

Level scripts check a flag, and if that flag is active/deactive, it uses movesprite2 to change the location of a NPC, such as the Slowpoke/Slowbro girl, among others.

Years
  • Seen Aug 22, 2012
I'm currently playing Pokemon Black on DesMuMe 0.9.8x86 and...I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to post this question in, but it kinda relates to hacking I suppose...anyways, I can't get my friend code :/ I've gone in and tried to manually set up WFC settings in the main menu of the game, each time it says that there is no access point nearby. I've looked throughout my house :/ I even looked up tutorials on YouTube and couldn't find anything of much help :/ is there some way to fix it? Is there some sort of hack out there I can learn to use?

Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2012
Okay, so I tried hacking about two years ago, but I ran into the problem that unLZ wouldn't work. No matter what I did, it wouldn't change the ROM. Now I that I'm trying again, I thought I would stand a chance with NSE 2.0. It did alter the title screen text, but when I tried to change the rival in the intro for Fire Red, it said the data was too big so I got a new offset and it said everything was fine. But when I go in the emulator nothing is different.

I'm fed up with this. Why can't unLZ or NSE alter the Oak intro with the PC and the rival? Should I just give up hacking again?

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Okay, so I tried hacking about two years ago, but I ran into the problem that unLZ wouldn't work. No matter what I did, it wouldn't change the ROM. Now I that I'm trying again, I thought I would stand a chance with NSE 2.0. It did alter the title screen text, but when I tried to change the rival in the intro for Fire Red, it said the data was too big so I got a new offset and it said everything was fine. But when I go in the emulator nothing is different.

I'm fed up with this. Why can't unLZ or NSE alter the Oak intro with the PC and the rival? Should I just give up hacking again?

You need to adjust the pointers as well. Simply adding a new picture to the ROM will do nothing. Read the tutorials more carefully, they should explain this.

redriders180

Years

As long as you make sure that, when you Write to Rom, "Automatically Fix Pointers" is checked. If it always is, you'll have to do it manually with a hex editor. Convert the pointer of the original image and the new image into little-endian (0x123456 -> 56 34 12 08), and use the hex editors find and replace tool.

If you're truly dedicated to your ROM hack, then never give up. The road to hacking is rough, and you shouldn't quit if there's a little roadbump. There's a solution to every problem, and overcoming them makes the experience that much richer.

Edit: Ninja'd again...

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2012
You need to adjust the pointers as well. Simply adding a new picture to the ROM will do nothing. Read the tutorials more carefully, they should explain this.

Adjust the pointers? In NSE it already has "Automatically Fix Pointers" checked. And if I change it to a new offset it will say "The Bookmarks: Boy, Gary, have been automatically adjusted. To see changes, re-open the Navigate window." Which I did, and the old offset for the rival was scrambled, and the image that I wrote over it was at the new offset.

Or I could be completely misunderstanding it.

EDIT:

As long as you make sure that, when you Write to Rom, "Automatically Fix Pointers" is checked. If it always is, you'll have to do it manually with a hex editor. Convert the pointer of the original image and the new image into little-endian (0x123456 -> 56 34 12 08), and use the hex editors find and replace tool.

If you're truly dedicated to your ROM hack, then never give up. The road to hacking is rough, and you shouldn't quit if there's a little roadbump. There's a solution to every problem, and overcoming them makes the experience that much richer.

Edit: Ninja'd again...

Like I said, yeah it's checked, but thank you mentioning the hex editor. I'll go try that and see if it works.

Yeah, I guess you're right. It just felt wrong to let everything sit there untouched, that's why I picked it back up.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2016
With hacking FireRed, in theory, I can have four regions, correct? Due to the four region maps. How limiting in freespace is this? IE, would I only be able to have, say, four cities in one region if the others are rather large?

redriders180

Years
With hacking FireRed, in theory, I can have four regions, correct? Due to the four region maps. How limiting in freespace is this? IE, would I only be able to have, say, four cities in one region if the others are rather large?

Space for maps and stuff shouldn't be too much of a problem, depending on how big your maps are. Think about it...The entirety of Firered, including all the code that controls things like displaying images, making the player move, and all that, is all contained in less than half the possible space. You could fit an entire copy of the game in the free space, and you'd STILL have a couple thousand bytes to spare. That being said, if you did do that, you'd be able to have doubles of the 18 cities of Kanto/Sevii islands...basically, you'd have 36 cities. Since roughly half the coded area is ASM-related stuff, you'd have enough space for maybe 50 cities, if you budget your space correctly. You'd also be hard-pressed for scripting space, if you ended up doing 50 cities, although you can always expand to 32 MBs, giving you ample space for both more cities and more scripts.

However, you'll need to do some work. Firered only has 109 possible place names...and while that seems like alot at face value, that's really only enough for two regions and a baby region (Believe me, I know...I'm completely out of names, and I've got two regions and a baby region). You'll need to expand the possible names, which is documented somewhere around here (I believe in the Research and Development thread).

PS...To whoever asked about the Vs. screen that can be called in any battle, I recommend checking the first two or three pages of the Research and Development thread. The info you want is there :)

Sorry I had to make that so big...I just needed to get his attention.

Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2012
Alright, another question. I'm hacking emerald and i've been progressing through the hack as the game itself progresses. I'm at the point where you finally get "fly". I moved the location of a few of the maps, and so the locations are completely different, so the maps, of course, changed; in this case, i've basically moved Ever Grande City and Route 128 up north a ways. I have two issues:

1) Despite having used the Advance Map 1.92 program to move the data for the location, the Pokedex will still say pokemon caught at Route 128/Victory Road are at its original location.

2) Using the Advance Map 1.92 program to move the data for the location, the graphic to show that a location has yet to be visited on the fly map has not moved (basically, there's a black graphic hanging out down south and not on top of the new location).

How would I go about fixing these issues?

Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2012
So I've tried the hex editor (Hex Workshop), and I took the rival image offset from unLZ of 0046244C, and I searched for 084C2446 and 084C244600 (this is still new to me). I found 084C2446, but when I tried to replace it with 08BCB671 (offset 71B6BC) and I got the specified search string was not found. I tried searching for 08BCB671 and 08BCB67100 neither were found. Then I tried searching a new offset from FSF that I haven't used, and it wasn't found either. It seems any new offset found by NSE or FSF isn't found by the editor. Now what?

redriders180

Years
Hi everyone, I've got an ASM-related question I hope someone can help me with. Does anyone have any info on a routine that might be used for displaying text? I want to make a small cutscene with ASM, but I need a textbox to appear at the end, and say some text.

Secondly, does anyone know of a routine that loads the tiles of the current map into the VRAM? After running the cutscene, the tiles stay permanently in the VRAM, and I need the tiles to revert back to normal, so the player can continue playing.

Thirdly, does anyone know how to run scripts from an ASM routine? We have callasm to run ASM from a script, but I can't fathom how to start up the script engine and run a script.

I hope someone can answer these...I feel like ASM definately doesn't fall under the classification of a "Simple" question, but I'd rather post here than muck up the Quick R&D thread.

So I've tried the hex editor (Hex Workshop), and I took the rival image offset from unLZ of 0046244C, and I searched for 084C2446 and 084C244600 (this is still new to me). I found 084C2446, but when I tried to replace it with 08BCB671 (offset 71B6BC) and I got the specified search string was not found. I tried searching for 08BCB671 and 08BCB67100 neither were found. Then I tried searching a new offset from FSF that I haven't used, and it wasn't found either. It seems any new offset found by NSE or FSF isn't found by the editor. Now what?

Of course the second search wouldn't pull up anything, because nothing in the game points to that location. You need to put 08 BC B6 71 in the same spots that 08 4C 24 46 show up. That will yield the results you want.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2016
Space for maps and stuff shouldn't be too much of a problem, depending on how big your maps are. Think about it...The entirety of Firered, including all the code that controls things like displaying images, making the player move, and all that, is all contained in less than half the possible space. You could fit an entire copy of the game in the free space, and you'd STILL have a couple thousand bytes to spare. That being said, if you did do that, you'd be able to have doubles of the 18 cities of Kanto/Sevii islands...basically, you'd have 36 cities. Since roughly half the coded area is ASM-related stuff, you'd have enough space for maybe 50 cities, if you budget your space correctly. You'd also be hard-pressed for scripting space, if you ended up doing 50 cities, although you can always expand to 32 MBs, giving you ample space for both more cities and more scripts.

However, you'll need to do some work. Firered only has 109 possible place names...and while that seems like alot at face value, that's really only enough for two regions and a baby region (Believe me, I know...I'm completely out of names, and I've got two regions and a baby region). You'll need to expand the possible names, which is documented somewhere around here (I believe in the Research and Development thread).

Would this be a sufficient "tutorial" on adding new map names? I'm planning on adding at least Hoenn into it.

I also wasn't aware of how much free space was in the game, so that's helpful, thanks. Though, is there a "risk" on expanding the ROM?

Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2012
Of course the second search wouldn't pull up anything, because nothing in the game points to that location. You need to put 08 BC B6 71 in the same spots that 08 4C 24 46 show up. That will yield the results you want.

Do you mean just type the new offset on top of the same spot as the old one? Because when I do that the game will crash. Sorry, I've never hex edited before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back