• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

College - Is it worth it?

Black Ice

[XV]
Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2023
college makes networking piss easy and opens up a ****ton of opportunities to employers who want people with college degrees and lets you explore potential future careers in an academic setting rather than reading about things online. i think it's worth it

also it's probably the last time you'll ever be surrounded with people of the opposite gender near your age

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
Years
I'd honestly just go to the Air Force since they give you a college degree plus pay and a place to live. But if other people want to do it because they want to better their lives or to pursue their dream of being a doctor or whatever then I think it's worth every bit for them to go to college.

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
Even having a degree doesn't guarantee you'll get the job you want after college. My boyfriend went to college for electrical engineering and is now working at a food processing company as a maintenance technician. He's never had a job related to electrical engineering.

Years
Even having a degree doesn't guarantee you'll get the job you want after college. My boyfriend went to college for electrical engineering and is now working at a food processing company as a maintenance technician. He's never had a job related to electrical engineering.
College obviously isn't a guaranteed success, you have to work hard to and gain experience to get the job you want in the future.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years

Is he still actively searching (once or twice a week) for electrical engineering positions while he is working as a maintenance technician? If not, then I see why it would be likely why he hasn't had a job related to it yet. But even so, if he enjoys being a maintenance technician then all power to him, and without his college credentials he might have not even landed the spot in the first place so I think that it was worth it.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
Well first it depends on the individual. Some people would probably not benefit from the educational front and would probably excel better in a vocational industry. For those who do not stretch beyond reasonable means, College will usually pay off. It's when people go to crazy colleges, pull out huge loans and change their major 20 times when people start to run into problems. Well, it doesn't encompass everyone but you get the idea.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
In my opinion, I would never encourage someone to start going to college unless they are very certain about what they want to do with their life and what kind of career they want to build. You have to be dedicated to it. There is no other way.

I've tried going to college three separate times now for three different majors. I owe thousands upon thousands from receiving student loans and I don't even have so much as an associates degree to show for it. Because I tried these majors simply based on what the career would pay, only to find that I just don't care about what I'm learning. But.. I'm not an academically inclined person.

Which brings me to my next point. Some people are just not cut out for school. Some people don't have the willpower to focus on school and do homework and study all the time. Some people don't have the attention span for it. That's not a bad thing. But I do believe that there should be more trade schools available to these types of people so they can still get some type of certificate/degree that will get them a very well-paying job (like being a welder, electrician, etc... ) instead of making those people go to a school where they may not be able to focus as well and take classes that aren't even relevant to the field they want to enter.

There's also plenty of places where people can work that, yes, will probably hire you at minimum wage or slightly higher, but many places have room to grow and build a career if that's what you want to do. The company I work for is like that. I don't make much now, but I work hard and am already starting to see it pay off in the form of raises and moving up in the ranking system, and I've only been there for 6 months. Shoot, my boss has only been with the company for two years and he's already taking care of his own center, probably making what I assume is at least $35,000-$40,000. Which you can get with 4+ years of, say, nursing school with CNA training and Pre-nursing school included.

Really it just boils down to the individual. I have friends who have taken the standard 4 years of college and are struggling to find a decent job.

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
Years
Honestly, anyone who even gives half a damn about wanting to learn anything can make it in school. I work as a tutor for Developmental Math classes at the school i'm currently attending, and you would not believe how often I see people between the ages of 18-21 who have no clue how to multiply/divide numbers without a calculator.

I also see people who whine and complain about doing anything that "doesn't seem relevant" for their degree. I've noticed that most of the people who complain about that are the people who really don't care about getting their degree anyway. Regardless of if you'll actually use what you're learning, you need the class to get your degree, so get over it.

People have been mentioning that people who have short attention spans are not cut out for school. Personally, I have a slight case of ADD and I have the hardest time focusing on one thing for a long amount of time. Other people I know who are also doing the same classes as I am have the exact same problem. But we're managing to do Calculus courses over the summer, because we all know what we want to do, and are trying to get there a little bit faster. So no, I don't believe that people can just say that they have a short attention span and can't focus on school work.

Years
Of course it's worth it. In our ever-increasingly utilitarian mindset, we dismiss things we may not necessarily find useful at the time. A well rounded collegiate education has intrinsic value, which is lost on our society which largely doesn't care. Which is sad. We don't climb back to the top in the arts and sciences that way, and especially not when we cut those programs in Grade Schools because we can't see the value. We set up our children for failure by doing this.

Back