• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ™

ANGRY FAIC!!!
Years
I actually found it when you said meta,
but some of the things in the notes aren't explained well.

And if someone picks a girl at start.
Its a boy in battle...
why?!

Last edited:

Jirbytaylor

is too lazy to make a new ava
Years
Yeah.
but then when people pick they guy, it'd be a girl.

Nonono... trback000 is the guy.

EDIT:
Okay, the battle backgrounds 0-9 are controlled by terrain and the Outside metadata, but what about backs 10-14? These would be useful to access as not all inside-building battles have the same background. Going through the Elite Four easily shows this. How do you change a map, or a specific battles' background/terrain/whatever?

Also how do you specify what gender a trainer's Pokemon is? If you have two instances of your rival you can't have one where their Pokemon changes gender. so you need to be able to make sure that the gender is preset so two trainers' Pokemon are reinforced as being the "same one".

Last edited:

Minorthreat0987

Pokemon Tellurium
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2021
Does anyone know where the script that controls the box that shows the map name as you are transfered to a new map is located, if you could please let me know that would be greatly appriciated.

.:EDIT:.
Okay so I found the answer to my first question, its line 814 for anyone who would like to know.

No I have two more small questions

1. Does anyone know how to make a window have a specific windowskin no matter what the player has selected in the Options menu?

2. And also does anyone know how to center/move the text, not the window, that is called using this script function

Code:
 def initialize(name)
  @window=Window_SimpleTextPokemon.new(name)
  @window.width=248
  #@window.resizeToFit(name,Graphics.width)
  @window.x=4
  @[email protected]
  @window.z=99999
  @currentmap=$game_map.map_id
  @frames=0
Thanks
Minorthreat

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2015
To answer your second question, use this code to initialize the window (though I don't know whether it will work in the version you have:

Code:
 @window=Window_AdvancedTextPokemon.new("<ac>"+name)

The class Window_AdvancedTextPokemon accepts a variety of formatting for the text. Details can be found in the script section DrawText.

To change the windowskin, use code like the following:

Code:
  @window.windowskin=RPG::Cache.windowskin("mywindowskin.png")

The battle background is chosen in the method "pbBackdrop" in the script section PokeBattle_ActualScene. The local variable "id" stores the ID of the background to use.

Last edited:

AJ™

ANGRY FAIC!!!
Years
So...
How do i make a girl trainerback, and a guy trainerback both work.
cause right now, the girl trainer, has a guy trainerback.

Minorthreat0987

Pokemon Tellurium
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2021
One last question how do I alter the final y position of the location box that shows up, without altering the speed at which it moves.

Thank you
Minorthreat

Also Poccil I don't know if you already know or not, but the audio playing system in the kit it real screwy, it only plays parts of MIDIs and it sometimes cuts out when you transfer to a map that has different music than the previous map.

Last edited:

Hall Of Famer

Born as Hall of Famer
Years
yaoimutt said:
lol, i did that too. :D nice to know i'm not the only one that sometimes doesn't read the whole thing. :3, i usually only read the first part then ask people questions. T-T (sorry for those of you that have had to answer my many thousands of questions.

ok, put that parte in to the scripts, and put this part:

Control Switches: [0050: Shiny] = ON
Script: pbWildBattle(::PBSpecies::GYARADOS,30,1)
Control Switches: [0050: Shiny] = OFF

in an event for the garadose thing, .

I'm sorry it doesn't work out for me. I got this error when placing the codes you provide above:
Code:
Exception: SyntaxError
(eval):2: syntax error
{|sender,e|
  ^
(eval):7: syntax error
Interpreter:238:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:1614:in `eval'
Interpreter:1614:in `command_355'
Interpreter:466:in `execute_command'
Interpreter:190:in `update'
Interpreter:104:in `loop'
Interpreter:195:in `update'
Scene_Map:98:in `update'
Scene_Map:96:in `loop'

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 24, 2011
So...
How do i make a girl trainerback, and a guy trainerback both work.
cause right now, the girl trainer, has a guy trainerback.

... dude, Jirbytaylor already answered this for you. EDIT THE trback001. it will not change the boy graphic. the boy graphic is trback000. they just look exactly alike.

I'm sorry it doesn't work out for me. I got this error when placing the codes you provide above:
Code:
Exception: SyntaxError
{|sender,e|
  ^
(eval):7: syntax error
Interpreter:1614:in `eval'
Interpreter:1614:in `command_355'
Interpreter:466:in `execute_command'
Scene_Map:98:in `update'
Scene_Map:96:in `loop'

o.0 your right, i could have sworn it worked before.

Last edited:

Jirbytaylor

Years
I'm trying to get my game to start in a map so I can event an opening.
I've achieved that, but I get an error when starting a new game:
Exception: NoMethodError
PokemonMessages:21:in `updatemini'
PokemonMessages:67:in `pbUpdateSceneMap'
PokemonMessages:886:in `pbDisplayMessageFancy'
PokemonMessages:587:in `pbMessage'
PokemonMessages:278:in `command_101'
Interpreter:276:in `execute_command'
Scene_Map:99:in `update'

My "Main":
Code:
def pbCallTitle
    return Scene_Intro.new('Pic_2')
end

def mainFunction
  return pbCriticalCode {
    Graphics.frame_count = 0
    $game_system=Game_System.new
    $game_temp          = Game_Temp.new
    $game_switches      = Game_Switches.new
    $game_variables     = Game_Variables.new
    $game_self_switches = Game_SelfSwitches.new
    $game_screen        = Game_Screen.new
    $game_player        = Game_Player.new
    $ItemData=readItemList("Data/items.dat")
    $PokemonMap=PokemonMapMetadata.new
    $PokemonGlobal=PokemonGlobalMetadata.new
    $PokemonStorage=PokemonStorage.new
    $PokemonEncounters=PokemonEncounters.new
    $data_common_events = load_data("Data/CommonEvents.rxdata")
    $data_tilesets      = load_data("Data/Tilesets.rxdata")
    $data_animations     = load_data("Data/Animations.rxdata")
    $data_system = load_data("Data/System.rxdata")
    $MapFactory=PokemonMapFactory.new(5)
    $game_player.moveto(0, 0)
    setScreenBorderName("border.png")
    Graphics.update
    Graphics.freeze
  # Refresh player
  $game_player.refresh
  # Run automatic change for BGM and BGS set with map
  $game_map.autoplay
  # Update map (run parallel process event)
  $game_map.update
    $scene = Scene_Map.new
    #$scene = pbCallTitle
    while $scene != nil
      $scene.main
    end
    Graphics.transition(20)

}
end

loop do
 retval=mainFunction
 if retval==0 # failed
  loop do
   Graphics.update
  end
 elsif retval==1 # ended successfully
  break
 end
end

How I "start" the game after the title:
Code:
@> Script:
       Audio.bgm_stop
       sscene=PokemonLoadScene.new
       sscreen=PokemonLoad.new(sscene)
       sscreen.pbStartLoadScreen

I only get this error when starting a new game, but when selecting continue the map just "appears" rather than the normal fade in before I altered the Main script. :/

Youji

Game Designer
Years
I have a question. Especially to Wichu and/or poccil or anyone wlse who knows much about the scripts of Essentials.

I set that it only resizes sprites bigger than 160x160. Now the Pokémon are not the problem but the trainers. I wanted to know if it is possible to set the y-value of a trainer's position like the y-value of a Pokémon's position? Because the trainers are in the stausbar of my Pokés and i want them to be on the enemy base. I also checked if the sprites would be too big anyways but they would actually fit if I could set the y-value of the trainers.

Thx.

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2015
The problem was that the game tried to load a scene in the middle of another scene. To help fix the problem somewhat, add this after line 42 of the script section Scene_Map (the one that reads "def updateSpritesets"):

Code:
    @spritesets={} if !@spritesets

However, the first text message in the intro event (after selecting "New Game") may strangely repeat. This is because the game creates a new map interpreter and the intro event is still run in the old map interpreter. To prevent this, make sure the following script is the last event command in the event.
Code:
@main=false
self.setup(nil,0)

Last edited:

Jirbytaylor

Years
Ah thanks! It works now.

Man so much editing, not much of it can be put in an Edits page without copying a lot... I hope the next release isn't to hard to find and replace the fixes. o_o;

EDIT: Poccil do you think you could maybe post the fix for being able to select empty slots in party menu in battle? Or even specify what definitions you've edited in the next release so it's easier for people like me who add random edits everywhere... <D
BTW are you going to add ball effects sometime? e.g Pokeball has white/orange confetti things, Master Ball has stars...

Last edited:

Youji

Game Designer
Years
Does anyone have a sample Gym Leader event that works and I may modify? I can't seem to get it right.

There is one in the notes.html

I quote it for you:

Text: I challenge you!
Conditional Branch: Script: pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::LEADER_Roxanne,"Roxanne",_I("Excellent. You have earned the Stone Badge."))
-- here you can add event commands to be run when the player wins, but this is not necessary
Script: [[Badges|$Trainer.badges[0]=true]]
Text: \PN received the Stone Badge!
Text: The Stone Badge proves you can succeed in the Pokemon League.
Control Self Switch: A =ON
Branch End

Vampire://Krimm

→ clocks everywhere →
Years
Hey, the Starter Kit is amazing and saved endless amounts of time, however I have a quick question:

I understand the use of terrain tags however no matter what I do for some reason what the tag is supposed to do does nothing in the game, such as the water reflections, the footprints in the sand, etc.

Any help? o.o

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 24, 2011
Hey, the Starter Kit is amazing and saved endless amounts of time, however I have a quick question:

I understand the use of terrain tags however no matter what I do for some reason what the tag is supposed to do does nothing in the game, such as the water reflections, the footprints in the sand, etc.

Any help? o.o

only the flat water reflects (meaning not the animated stuff), and there is lots of stuff that looks like sand, but is not (also, the water only reflects if your north of it, so make sure you check that as well)

if possible, post a screen shot of what type of water and sand you are trying to get these effects on. check to make sure they are the right terrain tags (i know your post says you already know this, but i sometimes mark the wrong terrain, so it's possible that you might do the same thing.)

Vampire://Krimm

→ clocks everywhere →
Years
only the flat water reflects (meaning not the animated stuff), and there is lots of stuff that looks like sand, but is not (also, the water only reflects if your north of it, so make sure you check that as well)

if possible, post a screen shot of what type of water and sand you are trying to get these effects on. check to make sure they are the right terrain tags (i know your post says you already know this, but i sometimes mark the wrong terrain, so it's possible that you might do the same thing.)

Alright, here's what you asked for. Basically, the sand won't work on either the beach sand or the pathway sand. And for the reflection, it is only on the still water however still doesn't reflect.

helpkp8.png

and I noticed maybe that the bottom part of the wooden bridge might mess up the reflection, but it doesn't work anywhere xP

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 24, 2011
Alright, here's what you asked for. Basically, the sand won't work on either the beach sand or the pathway sand. And for the reflection, it is only on the still water however still doesn't reflect.

helpkp8.png

and I noticed maybe that the bottom part of the wooden bridge might mess up the reflection, but it doesn't work anywhere xP

for the water thing, i see the problem, the 2 water tiles you have shown, one is marked 0 (which is the animated one, it should be marked 7 so that it actually gets to be water) and the other is marked 7 (which is the flat one, it should be marked 6 to get reflections)

as for the sand, if you are using the sand in the top row, then it's because it is marked as 0. change it to 3

and lastly, nice sign, i take it you are making your own tileset? and also, where on earth did you get the ash sprite? O.o i've been searching and can't find one. i've resulted to spriting my own stuff now (i have already sprited a team rocket, but i used the colors of the ones in pokemon orange)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back