• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Pokemon Lavender Syndrome

SamuJake

I beat Red when I was 8' bro.
Years
Yo. Pretty sure a lot/some of you guys have heard of this before. And I wanted to start a topic about it, for you to post your thoughts or opinions on this if you think it's true or not. For those of you who don't know, go to this link:
http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Lavender_Town_Syndrome

That should explain basically everything you need to know in a few short paragraphs.

Here's the ORIGINAL sound track of the Japanese Pokemon Red and Green version before they edited it to fix the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sOadAaGiq4&feature=player_embedded

lavender-town.jpg

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That link goes to a video about taking pictures of black people...so I'm editing that out. It might offend someone here, and the comments are...yeah. :|

SamuJake

Years
Oh, oops haha. That was a prank video I was watching earlier, guess it didn't copy the URL. I got the correct link now.

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
Years
Yeah I read about that a few years back. To my knowledge it's not true. It's a creepypasta. You can test it for yourself via a Green version rom or a jap red version rom. I took a moment to test it out when I did a playthrough of green and I sat there for a very long time, even holding down the speed button. No suicide inducing sound of any sort.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
The original music was edited because the higher-pitched noises induced headaches. But all the suicide mumbo-jumbo is made-up, and all it serves as is creepypasta fodder. The reason why the Lavender Town music may freak people out even more now than it did before is all thanks to the self-fulfilling prophecy.

SamuJake

Years
The more I look into it the less it seems real. I did listen to the original soundtrack and either pure coincidence or it is the high pitch, but it gives me a bit of a headache.

Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2014
Yeah I read about that a few years back. To my knowledge it's not true. It's a creepypasta. You can test it for yourself via a Green version rom or a jap red version rom. I took a moment to test it out when I did a playthrough of green and I sat there for a very long time, even holding down the speed button. No suicide inducing sound of any sort.

You have to hear it with headphones I think.

FrozenPhoenix96

Show me your power!!!
Years
About the huge pain in the head is true.
But the suicides... That's CreepyPasta.
CreepyPasta is always basing some scary info with some truths, but only based at some truths.
Most of the parts of the stories from CreepyPasta are fake and not real.

The Poke' Kid

The Average Trainer
Years
Honestly I think this stuff about lavender town is full of crap but I guess when your around a young age you belive anything. Scratch that after I the articles I'm creeped out

Last edited:

TheCrimson102

Charizard
Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2013
Haha most people have said that yes, it is fake I believe the headache art but not the suicides or the deaths. Some children may have been hurt though because of the mild headaches. But even the headaches were caused by hours of usage with headphones on.

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2014
I had heard that some children had side effects after hearing the Lavender town music but i didn't think it had a suicide inducing sort of effect.

Stodd

Dragon Tamer
Years
i've been reading creepypasta for years now. this syndrome only works with headphones and underdeveloped hearing. even then, it only caused headaches and slight nausea, maybe a little nosebleed. this only happened to a few kids, they were hospitalized, but they were only trying to make sure it wasn't serious. and it wasn't.

still, its a very frightening exaggeration, and creepypasta is very entertaining. this one wasn't necessarily false, but it was greatly exaggerated.

i've been reading creepypasta for years now. this syndrome only works with headphones and underdeveloped hearing. even then, it only caused headaches and slight nausea, maybe a little nosebleed. this only happened to a few kids, they were hospitalized, but they were only trying to make sure it wasn't serious. and it wasn't.

still, its a very frightening exaggeration, and creepypasta is very entertaining. this one wasn't necessarily false, but it was greatly exaggerated.

Last edited:

EnglishMilkshake

Delapitated Account
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2013
Oh please! Don't mention it!

Lavgeng1.jpg

You are starting to creep me out by posting this thread.

HarrisonH

I doubt Pokemon will be a hit
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 1, 2013
Yeah, it's not a real thing. No mention of it exists prior to 2010, while the differences in the sound was being discussed in 2009. It's nothing but a creepypasta with no basis in reality, and nothing more.

There are also no mentions of children getting headaches or any side effects from it before this time, with no sources provided of any of the claims. All are simply anecdotes and "I remember..." but with no actual sources provided, they can (and should) be taken with a grain of salt.

Stodd

Dragon Tamer
Years
yeah harrisonH, that sounds about right. after more research, dates and side effects were very inconsistent. that is probably a sign of falsehood. some may argue that headaches or some minor side effect were true, but i mean c'mon, who WOULDNT get a headache listening to that

still though. very entertaining story. most poke creepypasta is.

Manganum

Your local sine wave
Years
Nah, this is complete rubbish. Creepypasta is exactly what it sounds like; An easily copy-and-pasteable story written to be creepy. This one in particular has been around for ages in some form, and without fail, every single one I've seen incorporates this little chunk (with a few alterations (pictures of ghosts rather than Unowns etc.)) :
One video appeared in 2010 using "special software" to analyze the audio of Lavender Town's music. When played, the software created images of the Unown near the end of the audio.
The "special software" mentioned is known as a spectral analyzer. Put simply, it creates a graph of any piece of audio, with x being time and y being the frequency (Hertz). This is what a typical spectral graph looks like:
Spoiler:

You can see that this particular piece of audio goes for >5 minutes, with the frequencies extending up above 20kHz (which suggests that there are some artifacts in the file; a correctly-mastered track shouldn't go above 19kHz usually).
If there were really "images of the Unown/ghosts" in Lavender Town's spectrum, it would sound absolutely terrible and not like music at all (not to mention the fact that the Game Boy literally didn't have the technology to accomplish something like that).

So, this particular part of the pasta is debunked, which throws the rest of it into doubt.

Mononoke Hime

viva emptiness
Years
In short, a Creepypasta is a short story that is posted on the internet that is designed to unnerve and shock the reader. This wiki is primarily a database of various Creepypasta. The goal is to have a fairly well stocked library of Creepypasta, including very obscure and rarely posted, to user created original content.
- Creepypasta Wiki

Following this line of thinking, I do not believe this hole story is true.

Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2012
I listened to it myself, the whole thing. It gave me a raging headache and made me a little irritable (I think probably part of the headache), but nothing as far as suicidal thoughts.

Back