• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I was working on my first big(ger) city map

This will be the city where main character come to take his Pokedex of course from the regional Pokemon Prof, there is this mansion of a girl which will be one of his rival (also his crush) and the most important part of this city, Pokemon Academy, contain a LAB, a Gym-like facility, a Factory (as my friend request, don't know why), a tower (probably where they study) and a library (the museum-like building).

I realized that bigger city is harder, since I want to bring out some personalities for the city and it should be bright, not too crowded and narrow... but yeah, I'm lacking experience.

Spoiler:

@amcolash: I like your map's shape, it's look natural and all but then, the town itself lack something. The water is meh, the flowers placing seem too weird for any town, tree part is too useless imo.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2017
@nakagg: I really like this larger map. I do like the open layout as you were talking about. I have a few comments. Firstly, the tiles by the Pokemon center are vending machines right? If so, I personally think that a different color may suit them better (maybe blue or purple). Secondly, the three houses at the bottom look a bit odd without doors or windows. I know they are facing the other direction, but maybe at least a window or two would make them look better. Finally, I really like your right half of the map but I am not sure if the ledges around are quite the look that you were looking for. They look a bit our of place in a city. They may look better with a different color...

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Victory Road for Pokémon Chaos:
Spoiler:

Not bad, one thing I'd change... The black doors or cave entrances or whatever, should be more dark grey like the down stairs wall... Black looks like blank space more than "another area is here"... If you know what I mean :/ I can see we both have different styles of mapping, but in my opinion, it's to spacey... I like rocky paths and walls or trees blocking the ways and bushes and boulders etc... I like mine to look like a cave has a lot of obstacles... But it's your choice I suppose

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
Worldslayer: what can I say except that that looks fantastic. However, it should be noted that the disparity between the height of the player character and the heights of the doors is quite apparent. It stands out rather a lot.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Worldslayer: what can I say except that that looks fantastic. However, it should be noted that the disparity between the height of the player character and the heights of the doors is quite apparent. It stands out rather a lot.

I intend on adjusting it. Right now it is such a minor detail. I just recently adjusted the OW size to what you see. Door adjustments are not going to happen any time soon as it is not as important as other things going on.

Spoiler:

Route 1 as seen in Pillars of Destiny. This region is later in the game by which time rock climbing is something the player will be doing. There is a tile error above some tall grass and a tree at the top of the map, as well as a couple others that I am aware of.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Looks like this part of the river really dried up. Many trainers rose to the occasion to check it out, who knows, there might something valuable around here.
riverbed.png

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
Looks like this part of the river really dried up. Many trainers rose to the occasion to check it out, who knows, there might something valuable around here.
riverbed.png

Lovely map.
Nothing to complain about mapping-wise.
Design-wise though; Why would there be grass in a recently dried up riverbed?
Also: You misused the nothern mountain tile.

8/10

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Lovely map.
Nothing to complain about mapping-wise.
Design-wise though; Why would there be grass in a recently dried up riverbed?
Also: You misused the nothern mountain tile.
8/10

What exactly do you mean with the northern mountain tile?
And uhm, about the tall grass, there might've been some sort of vegetation on the river's bottom... I'll see what I can do about it. XD

tImE

Years
What exactly do you mean with the northern mountain tile?
And uhm, about the tall grass, there might've been some sort of vegetation on the river's bottom... I'll see what I can do about it. XD

Nononono, not the tall grass. I'm talking about the GROUND-GRASS.
Normal grass doesn't grow on the rivers bottom.
Tall Grass on the other hand, could be underwater brushes. They are fine! XD

And by the northern mountain tile being wrong I mean this:
7671865fixed.png

The left part is incorrect. - The right part is correct.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Thanks for pointing that out! I will keep that in mind for the next time. Not planning on putting any more thought n idwas for the river, this map won't be featured in any game. XD

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
Here's my latest map, Urbador Forest:

Spoiler:

It's a dangerous forest home to savage bug-types, and powerful grass-types. Many trainers come here to strengthen the bond they share between their Pokémon and themselves because here, the bond they share is the most crucial thing...

KannibalKween

Queen of the Dark
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 3, 2013
These are the first to maps I have made
Blackwater the hometown of character in my game.
Spoiler:

Black water lake
Spoiler:

I am in need of plenty of help so if you wanna help let me know.

tImE

Years
Here's my latest map, Urbador Forest:

Spoiler:

It's a dangerous forest home to savage bug-types, and powerful grass-types. Many trainers come here to strengthen the bond they share between their Pokémon and themselves because here, the bond they share is the most crucial thing...

Looking good.
It's not an awesome map, but it is definitely good.
My only real concern is the fact that you switched the way you map trees from X-shape to straight lines in the upper part. Mixing the styles doesn't look good.

7.5/10

These are the first to maps I have made
Blackwater the hometown of character in my game.
Spoiler:

Black water lake
Spoiler:

I am in need of plenty of help so if you wanna help let me know.

Concerning both maps:
You should train more by trying to recreate stock maps out of memory. For example, try to recreate Viridian city without looking at an image from it. Then, after you are done, fix all the errors you got, by looking at an image of the map. This will make you excellent at using tiles correctly and learning basic mapping.
Because right now, you are misusing tiles widely and, no offense, the maps doesn't look that good.

You do have a talent for it though, it is visible. You are doing the concept part properly.
For example, you are doing it right when you place houses with something behind them, like trees or stuff like that, and you don't make the maps too cramped.

You should look for a mapping tutorial here, or in the rom-hacking forums.
I think you can become a great mapper, you just need a lot more training.

I've been doing this for soon 6 years, and I was as bad as you from the start. ;D

Good Luck!

-----------------

Now, onto my own map:

Saffron City from my game Pokemon: Blaze Red.
Spoiler:

Saffron lies in a desert in my game, due to the fact that I find it boring Kanto was left without proper biomes, compared to the newer games.

KannibalKween

Queen of the Dark
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 3, 2013
Thank you for the advice and I was wondering if you are willing to share the tiles you used?

Arma

The Hyena
Years
Whoa, looking good tImE! I don't really have anything to add, but, ,personally I don't think a desert suits saffron XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back