• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

>Dante< Tutorial: How to change correctly the Intro hero in FR/LG

Years
  • Seen Mar 20, 2014
when should you click on the palette viewer for the Rival's intro? I tried it when Oak says "This is my grandson..." but the palette didn't work with the image..

HackChu

I need a haircut...
Years
I'm a bit baffled after the part when you insert Red's palettes than move straight to Brandon's(or Ruby hero).Am I supposed to paste over Red with the palettes still intact?

Sloofish

★Cannibal Psycho Soft For Pkmn
Years
I'm trying to insert this:
picture.php

What am I doing wrong?

I got this problem A LOT. I fixed it! You just have to go to the female or male choice screen and pick one. When you choose male, then go to "Tools" at the top of your VBA game and click "Pallet viewer" then take a screen shot of the page.

Paste the screen shot in MS paint or whatever your image editing program is, then cut out the pallet colours only, click "Copy" abd then click undo twice. Paste only your little pallet of colours for the male character then make ABSOLUTE SURE that every single last colour in your character is replaced with those pallet colours.

If any given one is not from that pallet or if you accidentally selected a background colour, it'll turn orange and green and neon blue in the game, blah blah blah. I accidentally got the same thing wrong as you did here and I think this is your problem:: You might have selected colours from OAK or RIVAL who have entirely different colour pallets from the Hero and Heroine. The game won't see them right and will make them look like THE HULK when you try to patch the game with them. >__> Don't do that. ^^;

Trial and error will get all of the colours right until your character is fully coloured correctly.

And there ya go~

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2010
Ok I think this is a great tut, worked really well when changing the boy start. The problem happened when i tried to change oak...i used the exact same colour and didn't change the palette at all...i even tried useing your advice with APE but the problem isn't with those colours. The colours are the skin ones which can't be change with APE (or i don't know how to) ANYBODY who knows how to fix this problem please help. thanks

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Hey this is a great tutorial but Ive noticed something.

Could you check to see if the pallete for Oak is correct?
I don't think it is the same pallete for the one in the intro. I have tried changing it several times already.

Years
  • Seen Jan 24, 2013
Hey this is a great tutorial but Ive noticed something.

Could you check to see if the pallete for Oak is correct?
I don't think it is the same pallete for the one in the intro. I have tried changing it several times already.

Yeh I had the same problem with oak, but after a bit of fiddling around i managed to find his palette. I worked it out to be 00461CD4 (hopefully that's right).

P.S great tutorial, really helped me

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Yeh I had the same problem with oak, but after a bit of fiddling around i managed to find his palette. I worked it out to be 00461CD4 (hopefully that's right).

P.S great tutorial, really helped me

Why thank you kind sir! I'll try that out later.

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2010
still a great tut..i have changed most of the starting people but oak is still giving me troubles...i am not sure what i am doing wrong. I repaletted him so that they are all the original colours given by the game so none r changed...but his skin is still blue haha. Also when i insert the new oak i get "Ptr found at 00131304", i have no clue what that means so any help would be nice. Thanks

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
still a great tut..i have changed most of the starting people but oak is still giving me troubles...i am not sure what i am doing wrong. I repaletted him so that they are all the original colours given by the game so none r changed...but his skin is still blue haha. Also when i insert the new oak i get "Ptr found at 00131304", i have no clue what that means so any help would be nice. Thanks
look 2 posts above yours...

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2010
Sry i know that was kinda a double post but i know that is the correct palette now...but my problem isn't changing the palette since i never did, i used all the original colours and its still messed i just wanted to know what went wrong. Thanks

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Sry i know that was kinda a double post but i know that is the correct palette now...but my problem isn't changing the palette since i never did, i used all the original colours and its still messed i just wanted to know what went wrong. Thanks
Well if you have photoshop you can export the pallete with ape and not vba.
Make sure its in ACT and use that. Hopefully that will work better.

Years
  • Seen Oct 8, 2010
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what went wrong? I tried to insert the fire red hero's sprite into the heroine's intro but it still came out like that even though I edited the palette and all. btw I'm using gimp..

wrong_colour.png

~Trebuh~

Jiggles, The legendary fairy
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
Hey,dante thanks!it worked!(exept for the pallet offset of the professor) heres my problem:
when u choose the male hero in the intro
Pokemon_Fire_Red_Version_Normal_01.png
the pallet of your rival is correct.
Pokemon_Fire_Red_Version_Normal-_01.png

But when u choose the female hero,
Pokemon_Fire_Red_Version_Normal_02.png
the pallet of your rival will be ruined.
Pokemon_Fire_Red_Version_Normal_-1.png
(the pallet offset of professor,doesnt work.if u replace its pallet,gary's pallet will be the ruined.)

SkieTheKitsune

Hi, I'm FoxMan! I physically cannot change my user
Years
This is gonna seem like a stupid question to ask, but who made the Free Space editor? I need it if I want to try this out. (Because honestly, I plan on changing the sprites of the main characters anyway.)

Also, what are the offsets for the Oak sprite, the Gary sprite and the female trainer sprite in UnlzGBA? I plan on changing those as well. :D

Xatoku

Game Developer
Years
Erm the palette offsets for the Rival and Boy seem to be wrong for me, does anyone know the real offsets?

Novus

The English Kiwi
Years
Hey Dante, sorry I haven't got around to posting this before but I have to thank you for this excellent tutorial, it's really helped me with quite a few things.

This tutorial combined with Hack Mew's Knowledge on Palette editing has helped me with what I have managed to achieve. I now can alter the Pokemon's (both yours and the opponents) status bar. I personally went for a Platinum look but can achieve many other designs.

I don't know if this has been done before but if you look in the attachments, there is an ingame screenshot of my new Platinum style Status Bar.

Thanks again
LW

Years
Hey! I have a little problem.
malefbl.png

When I insert this sprite, in game there are too many bugs:
errorfvw.png

The background and over are bad.
How can I fix this? Did I do bad something?

Back