• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokecheck.org and its Effect on Trading

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
How do you think the widespread use of Pokecheck.org has impacted trading? Is it a positive thing, a negative thing, or a bit of both? Has it helped or hindered you? Do you find that people just download Pokemon from Pokecheck instead of just trading for them?

Discuss!

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
It's helped me a lot in terms of hack checking. However; I do believe it has hindered the trading world, too. The allowing of downloading .pkm files makes it so anyone can get any flawless Pokemon with just a few clicks. MAKE YO POKEMON PRIVATE. The only people who download them from Pokecheck are the people are just too lazy to RNG. Which I can relate to because RNG can be an absolute pain, but even though RNG screwed me more times than anything, I've never succumb to downloading from Pokecheck. It's unfair taking someone else's effort and passing it off as your own. (Not everyone does that, but there are still those people who do).

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
I enjoy Pokecheck a lot. I love being able to catalog my Pokemon, and it's definitely a very convenient response to an inquiry about a Pokemon to just link it's profile. But I think Pokecheck should stay true to its name, and remain simply just a "check" and not Pokecheckmeoutanddownloadmeforagoodtime.

It actually has only affected me negatively in battling, and not trading, because I've faced a toooon of hacks that were probably downloaded from a site like Pokecheck. But I guess if those people couldn't download teams they would just play PO and I enjoy Wi-Fi more, so..I guess I'm pretty neutral on that. D:

Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2012
Its helped me a lot for when Im training as well as trading. It lets me see how many EVs i have for when i miscount, which happens a lot, and it lets me check IVs for those who ask about them in trading.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Its helped me a lot for when Im training as well as trading. It lets me see how many EVs i have for when i miscount, which happens a lot, and it lets me check IVs for those who ask about them in trading.

Oh this as well. It's great for helping people determine Iv's and Ev's. A pretty nifty site for people who don't have an AR. I forget though; can Pokecheck clone? I can, right? If so +2 to Pokecheck.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
^ It can, but only your OT if you're registered. That being said, I like Pokecheck. I use it to clone, check my IVs/EVs, and I get parent Pokemon to RNG babies from there. Nifty little place. It's only helped me, honestly. I haven't gotten a hindrance from it.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014

What. What. What.

We're aloud to do that? Much of my life wasted. );

Of course we're allowed, it's what all of us do. Pokemon has essentially killed trading for parents as people just download them from Pokecheck, breed them, then release them. What killed trading for me though was being able to RNG... so that's why I mostly just give stuff out for free.

Jolteon*

Super Boss Trainer
Years
One of the most helpful sites. I don't use it beyond the following: EV checking (which reminds me that I still need a Qualot Berry), SID Checking, and IV Checking parents pre-rng abuse. I do catalog all my Pokémon I check, but that is so I don't have to reenter them later in case I forget something.

Of course we're allowed, it's what all of us do. Pokemon has essentially killed trading for parents as people just download them from Pokecheck, breed them, then release them. What killed trading for me though was being able to RNG... so that's why I mostly just give stuff out for free.

Wow, I never thought of downloading parents. That seems kind of like cheating though, but egg moves are a pain.

What. What. What.

We're aloud to do that? Much of my life wasted. );

Also, this is just me being my English obsessed self, but you misspelled allowed; or rather, you used the wrong word.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2013
It has helped me a lot in battling. I used to offer legendary pokemon just for a DW Poliwag. Nobody accepted. I use Pokecheck to download parents. I rarely trade anymore because of it.

Gonzo

RNG Sommelier
Years
Since I own French and Japanese games, I stopped using pokecheck as parent Pokemon database. Sometimes, I'm to lazy to Pal Park my Pokemon, so I use Pokecheck to do it. I also check if I EVed my mons correctly and I check legality of pokes I get in trades. That's all, I guess.

Pokecheck is deffo an useful tool, but it also make people lazy. I enjoy battles with Pokemon I breed/caught on my own or were RNG abused for me, rather than winning with some free randoms with no story behind them. I would also get really upset if I lose to someone with a fully Pokecheck'd team. If you don't want to learn RNG, just stick to PO.

I also think that Pokecheck kills trading.
- Hey, I couldn't find anything interesting in your thread, but you could breed a <breeding project info here> and we could trade.
- Sorry for trouble, but I found the same Pokemon on Pokecheck and I got it for free.

I've been in a situation like this a few times. It's sad...

Years
I think it's a bit of a double edged sword, really. There's a lot of potential for abuse, idf someone uploads your Pokemon without your consent and they get distributed all over the place, which I would find irritatimg if you want to keep value in your pokemon. But the ability to hack check and obtain great IV'd pokes easily is a big plus.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I think it's a bit of a double edged sword, really. There's a lot of potential for abuse, idf someone uploads your Pokemon without your consent and they get distributed all over the place, which I would find irritatimg if you want to keep value in your pokemon. But the ability to hack check and obtain great IV'd pokes easily is a big plus.

Pokecheck allows you to register your saves so OT hijacking is impossible. If someoen uploads your Poke, there is an option to prevent it from becoming public.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
There's also an option in your settings to automatically make your Pokemon private upon being uploaded. I, of course, have all mine set to private. I keep them there for quick cloning for when someone wants to trade for something I've got in the shop. Though that's rare. Everyone just wants free bps lol.

Years
I did not know that. XD

Even so, I'd worry about the long term viability of your stock, it being instantaneously available takes away from their 'value' I think, and I'd run out of things to breed after awhile.

Years
Well I really like that I can check hacks and even download parents for breeding. I have to admit I abused it to get a special Celebi, but only to unlock my game's zorua because I wasnt able to get the celebi when it was distributed. After that I released it. So, yeah, it can be pretty useful.

Last edited:

VoxynZ

Jak And Daxter Fanboy
Years
Pokecheck is a tool, not a rental store

I've started using Pokecheck recently for breeding parents. I know it might not be considered as "pure" as trading for them, but since they're available, why not use them? Chances are if you try to trade today for a parent with great IVs, something from Pokecheck will be in their genetic line anyway.

I taught myself to RNG eggs so that I could breed competitive Pokes for my personal use. When I know that people can simply Pokegen something that is legal (though not legitimate) and passes WiFi checks, I don't feel bad at all considering the time it takes me RNG the egg, and then EV train it and level grind it. Even with trading to another game cartridge, it still takes on average 15-20 E4 runs to get to Lv. 100.

Wiilio

Friendly neighborhood fatman
Years
It's kinda killed my need for trading. Now if I need parents, I just go to Pokecheck and download them. I only trade to people when I'm giving away Pokemon that I don't need anymore. It's just easier to have Pokecheck at your fingertips as opposed to waiting for some other person to get on Wi-Fi, having to give them something they want, etc.

PokeFreak201306

Pokemon Master
Years
Personally i think the fact that all these people dont play the games legit and catch and train your own pokemon is ridculous, no wonder people get so bored of plahying games and play so many its not hard to beat a game using trillions of cheats where is the fun in cheating your way to the top and YES it is cheating your are just downloading from other peoples hard work and dedication, or possible there cheats, Catch and train them and take some time DANG :(

darkrai1018

Team Shiny Leader John
Years
  • Seen May 24, 2012
I believe pokecheck is a good thing if not abused. I use pokecheck to find EV's and used it to first find my SID instead of an AR. I do also download pokemon occasionaly as breeders but never to keep. i feel more accomplished when I breed them myself. As for meaningless downloads and lv 100 uber teams people download to be lazy, i dont support that. it takes the fun from the game.

Back