• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Project PokéBalaoia

NatureKeeper

2wdwvf5.png

Hello and welcome. I am Donnaclus, known on forums as "NatureKeeper". I have been using Game Maker 8L lately. After I finished the tutorial, I said to myself, why don't I try another style of Pokémon Gaming? I kept working and brainstorming until I came up with a plan. I codenamed it Project PokéBalaoia. The real name is going to be revealed by the demo.

Name Specs

Name: ????
Codename:Pokémon: Project Balaoia
Program\Language:Game Maker 8 Lite

Features

*A whole new style of Pokémon Gaming. Not like the main series, mystery dungeon or anything else! You get to capture Pokémon, then you keep them and battle with them like marbles inside your Pokéball.
*Redo the whole Kanto Adventure in this style.
*No navigation! Finishing the town's main events gives you access to the Route and Next Town.
*Capture 151 Pokémon.
*One 256x192 "Screen" with "Touch" Capabilities in some instances. Usually, Touch Capabilities are for buttons such as Yes\No, Choosing Location, etc..
*Introducing Mirror PokéBalls (No Miror B. in this game so do not get your hopes up.) which when you capture Pokémon with you can use them from inside the Pokéball.

Controls

* Navigation Keys, Z, X, A, S
* "Touch" Screen
* Probably Implementing the Joystick.

Screenies

Beta Screenshots

2cfwpw.png
24kyurr.png

4sciv7.png

Alpha Screenshots

6zqxk5.png
2la62vn.png

To-Do List

* Battle Engine
* PC Engine
* Inventory Engine

Oddities

-Major -Minor
* Text doesn't show in the Player's Room for some odd reason.

Credits

* The Spriters' Resource
* Magdiel for Textbox Engine

Downloads

*No releases as of now.

Last edited:

flamemaster

No school like the old school
Years
  • MI
  • Seen Mar 23, 2016
sound cool, but your supposed to have four screens (title and gameover do not count) or your thread will probs be closed

flamemaster

No school like the old school
Years
  • MI
  • Seen Mar 23, 2016
oh sorry youre right,i thought the requirement was four screens not two

Rossay

Quack quack
Years
Ah, another GM8 user :). For your inventory engine, I suggest you try making one with GM8's Data Structure Functions -- i.e. ds_grid_create(w,h). They are much easier to work with than artificial Arrays because you can sort through them and search for values etc.

NatureKeeper

Ah, another GM8 user :). For your inventory engine, I suggest you try making one with GM8's Data Structure Functions -- i.e. ds_grid_create(w,h). They are much easier to work with than artificial Arrays because you can sort through them and search for values etc.

I officially thank you. I was looking for functions like that.
GML has a lot of functions.

Rossay

Quack quack
Years
I officially thank you. I was looking for functions like that.
GML has a lot of functions.

You're welcome.

Most people suggest that you should use Arrays for things like Inventories, however, Data Structure functions are generally better because you can sort through them like a database. They are slightly more complicated, and there aren't a lot of tutorials on using them, but once you get used to them, they are so much more efficient -- i.e. using the ds_stack functions allow you to make an inventory so that when you collect a new item, it's added to the bottom of the list (if that makes sense).

NatureKeeper

24kyurr.png
4sciv7.png

I have fixed the room text glitches, and made screenshots. Now for some stuff.

@Rossay
I will try to learn that. XD

Years
  • Seen Nov 14, 2011
Heck, I can be a good friend.

I wanna learn GM8 but...I have it and itt has no 3d unction anymore.

NatureKeeper

I wanna learn GM8 but...I have it and itt has no 3d unction anymore.

I am still learning myself. And 3D functions are in Game Maker 8, but Pro, so you should confirm that you have the Pro one. If you got the Pro One, reinstall and re-enter the Activation Code to fix anything.

Back