• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon DarkViolet (Full Version Released)

srinator

Amazing hack but i coudn't help but notice bulbasaur using flare blitz XD

Years
  • Seen Jun 16, 2014
The newest version wont work :( it stands that its broken, can i download one version lower? please respond

Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
I played your Alpha Version and I habe to say I'm really impressed! I really enjoyed this game! I really hope that you guys will continue this :D

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Just posting to say that I've rethought some of the evolution changes, as I thought it's kinda wrong to let Pokemon evolve in ways when they can't evolve when met with the same conditions in the official games, as it would take away the "official" feeling, if that makes sense. For example, I was originally planning on having Kadabra evolve into Alakazam by Friendship, but then I thought it would just be more fair to have it evolve using an item that doesn't exist in the official games.

With that said, here are the "final" evolution changes:
Spoiler:

With Mime Jr., Tangela, and Lickitung, seeing as how in the official games they evolve based on whether they've learned a specific move or not, I've simply changed it to a level-up evolution, where they happen to learn that move at the level they're set to evolve (for instance, Tangela will learn AncientPower at Lv40 and also coincidentally evolve into Tangrowth at Lv40)

(note that these are subject to change again cause I'm always getting new ideas)

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
Why did you make Porygon & Co. evolve from PoryDiscs when you could just make Up-Grade trigger Porygon's evolution?
Then Dubious Disc could be added in the game to trigger Porygon 2's evolution.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Why did you change Espeon's and Umbreon's evolutions as well? :)
I like the Shard evolution but it's not hard evolution :D
There's no clock in FireRed, so Espeon and Umbreon would be impossible to get by time-dependent friendship.

Why did you make Porygon & Co. evolve from PoryDiscs when you could just make Up-Grade trigger Porygon's evolution?
Then Dubious Disc could be added in the game to trigger Porygon 2's evolution.
Because then that would contradict item usage in the official games, that's why in B/W, Game Freak simply added a new item for Feebas to evolve instead of using an existing item. Although since this is a hack, and I can do whatever, I kind of like the idea of simply changing the Up-Grade to function like an evolutionary stone, so I may end up doing that (hence why I said these evolutions are subject to change :P)

Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2020
{:3} I think its awesome that your excluding the Day/Night System it makes the game less enjoyable when the screen changes colors.......

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I would like to announce what I predict will be the most controversial change that will happen in Pokémon DarkViolet: The evolutionary levels of certain Pokémon will be changed.

This is because in all Pokémon games, the levels at which Pokémon evolve are entirely dependent on at what point in the game you find them in the very first game that they appear in. For instance, Ponyta evolves at Lv40, because in the first game they appear in, Pokémon Red & Green, you find Ponyta at around Lv34-ish, so it made sense then for Ponyta to evolve at Lv40. However, in Pokémon Platinum, it makes no sense at all, since you can obtain a Lv4 Ponyta before you even battle the first Gym Leader (on that route above Oreburgh City). Another great example is Deino, who evolves at Lv50, unlike other base-forms of Pseudo-Legendaries. This is because you find Deino very late in the game.

Basically, Pokémon that appear early in the game evolve at lower levels, and Pokémon that appear later in the game tend to evolve at higher levels. Because of how Pokémon DarkViolet has more trainers than the original game, the level curve ended up being a lot higher than I expected, so there's problems with some Pokémon feeling like they're evolving a lot earlier at any given point in the game than the original. For instance, I noticed in a lot of YouTube playthroughs of Pokémon DarkViolet that people are getting their starter to evolve as early as Viridian Forest, which is not what I want, and is a lot harder to do in the original game. So basically, I am adjusting the evolutionary levels to accommodate Pokémon DarkViolet's higher level curve.

Here are just some of the changes:
Spoiler:

All of these Pokemon above had their levels changed to reflect at what point in the game where you find them.

With that aside, here's some new screenshots:
d71de6709f9c365c867ebab3c74153bf_500_zps5d53934e.png
1_zpsca4f31b9.png
3_zps8eab9238.png
4_zpsd9bc6259.png
2_zps588311ba.png
5_zps895f023f.png
6_zps5f965770.png
7_zps8f9f7306.png
8_zps8127d1f1.png
9_zps6d95938d.png
10_zpsc92999f8.png
11_zpsd47acdb0.png
12_zps47c0fed2.png

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Abra --Lv22--> Kadabra (Abra will still learn Confusion upon evolution)

Wouldn't it just make mores sense to let Abra learn Confusion earlier? Unless it comes at a level close to 22, it seems like a real hassle to train-and-gain that many levels, especially since Abra only knows Teleport until it evolves.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Wouldn't it just make mores sense to let Abra learn Confusion earlier? Unless it comes at a level close to 22, it seems like a real hassle to train-and-gain that many levels, especially since Abra only knows Teleport until it evolves.
It's not a hassle. You train Abra the same amount of levels that you do in the original game.

In the original game, the Pokemon on Route 24 & 25 were around Lv12. In DarkViolet, they're around Lv18. Meaning that the amount of training it takes to get a Kadabra is exactly the same the original game.

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
In the original game, the Pokemon on Route 24 & 25 were around Lv12. In DarkViolet, they're around Lv18. Meaning that the amount of training it takes to get a Kadabra is exactly the same the original game.
Later levels come slower. Like I said on IRC, I would consider toning some of the earlier stuff down before ramping up evolution levels as your level curve is terrifying (i've been told my third gym is too high level and it's on par with your second).

Also Magnemite evolving at 25 instead of 30 when everything else is getting pushed back sounds like blatant favoritism. Yes, Magnemite has a rough time in the 25~30 range due to its mediocre HP starting to show, but given how efficient Magneton and Magnezone tend to be I feel it's better for them to have to wait so choosing to use them isn't a no-brainer.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Later levels come slower. Like I said on IRC, I would consider toning some of the earlier stuff down before ramping up evolution levels as your level curve is terrifying (i've been told my third gym is too high level and it's on par with your second).

Also Magnemite evolving at 25 instead of 30 when everything else is getting pushed back sounds like blatant favoritism. Yes, Magnemite has a rough time in the 25~30 range due to its mediocre HP starting to show, but given how efficient Magneton and Magnezone tend to be I feel it's better for them to have to wait so choosing to use them isn't a no-brainer.
In DarkViolet, Magnemite can be found at Route 3. Magnemite evolving at Lv25 would make sense for DarkViolet, since all the other Pokemon in that area evolve around that level range. It would make no sense for Magnemite to evolve at Lv30 when the other Pokemon on Route 3, such as Ekans and Machop, evolve in their 20's (Machop now Lv24).

Like I predicted, I knew that people would not like these changes, but having played through my own hack multiple times, I don't see anything wrong with the balance. When I started, I personally was not expecting the levels to be this high, at most I expected I would have Misty at around Lv23.

Also it's unfair to compare the level curve my hack to YAFRH, because DarkViolet has a lot more Trainer battles than vanilla FR. "toning it down" would either mean I remove some Trainers, which is not happening, cause most of the extra Trainers so far are just Team Rocket events necessary for the game's story, or make the levels unnecessary low, which would cause the game to be a lot easier than the original game, which is something I definitely don't want.

Let me remind you just how many extra trainers there are:
*Red/Green in Pallet Town
*Rocket Grunt in Viridian City
*Kamon in Viridian City
*2 School Kid's inside Viridian Trainer's School
*Youngster and Lass on Route 2
*Red/Green in Viridian Forest
*Lass in Viridian Forest
*Pewter Gym now has 2 trainers (+ Brock)
*2 Rocket Grunts in Pewter Museum
*Kamon in Pewter Museum
*about 4-5 extra Trainers on Route 3 to accommodate how the Route is now significantly longer
*about 4-5 extra Rocket Grunts in Mt. Moon
*Executive Ariana on Mt. Moon
*Lass on Route 4
*Red/Green in Cerulean City
*Daisy on Route 25
*Cerulean Gym now has 5 trainers (+ Misty)

Hope that explains why the levels are turning out unexpectedly high. Also I stated early in the thread that I would like the game's difficulty to be on-par with Mother 2 and Mother 3, and arguably DarkViolet still hasn't even reached that. This isn't G/S/C where you fight Lv15 wild Pokemon even though you have 6 badges, guys.

Last edited:
Years
I for one like the changes you did to the games. I think the remake of red and blue version should have been like your game there more fun and interesting the remake just seem like to me just enhance graphics. Is there the date you'll release the beta i really want to see what you've done.

Years
Yeah it does not matters as it is your hack. So these changes have been put in the beta or yet to because I see no comments about that. Sorry if I sound like a noob. Been busy in other hacks so I am asking like this

Back