• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I ended up getting five badges in the event, but I never updated to that point, so my "official" badge count was only 3. ~_~ I tried, haha. I might finish that challenge anyway, just because I was having fun using Aerodactyl and friends and I never got to get my Zangoose. We'll see.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Tri-Species was revived after two months, and you are more than welcome to submit a new thread for it! :)

which challenge is the hardest?
I feel a need to be challenged.

I've found that it depends on how you would normally play the game. Like some people would normally blaze through with one Pokemon, so solos wouldn't be hard if you were that kind of player. Nuzlocke would be my personal hardest, because it goes against my play style. You could maybe try that, since that seems to be difficult no matter how you would normally play the game, haha.

Name

Moémon Master
Years
i've been rocking the nuzlocke - volt white 2 challenge mode no less
but it feels too easy.

Name

Moémon Master
Years
maybe i could do a challenge where 'mon have to have a stat total of 300 or less
or perhaps a NFE challenge.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Christian Challenge is pretty hard, and it is kind of like an NFE basically. I think we still have one up, but it doesn't have the NFE rule for some reason iirc.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
maybe i could do a challenge where 'mon have to have a stat total of 300 or less
or perhaps a NFE challenge.

I wanted a challenge myself at some point so I started a Baby Pokémon Challenge xD (shameful advertising, I know >.>) An I heard people don't like doing that because it's hard/ takes too much time and various other reasons regarding the difficulty of such a challenge, someone even going as far as saying that they won't torture themselves >.>

Xaldin

Big things come in Nice packages.
Years
I wanted a challenge myself at some point so I started a Baby Pokémon Challenge xD (shameful advertising, I know >.>) An I heard people don't like doing that because it's hard/ takes too much time and various other reasons regarding the difficulty of such a challenge, someone even going as far as saying that they won't torture themselves >.>

baby challenge huh? I don't think i could handle that one. not cuz of the difficulty,but the fact that i can't resist evolving a pokemon. for me,its like i have to do it. o-o

though i've considered taking the location challenge next.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
I had an idea for a somewhat simple challenge, koff~

Not to difficult to remember, but it might be harder later on down the line. This challenge can be set for any main game in the series, but I'd suggest trying it out on X & Y. I will partake in this challenge as soon as I receive my copy of Pokemon X Version. (and figure out how to sign up for stuff)

The Challenge: Only three pokemon can be used to battle throughout the game. That's it. Simple, right?

You can use any combination of any* three Pokemon you wish, but you must use only three at all times. The exception to the 'any' rule is this: You cannot use pokemon that you've traded for. You can trade pokemon, but you will be restricted from using them in battle. This is to prevent trading lvl 100 bidoofs and magikarps to mop the floor with. (Also lvl 100 Mewtwos, Dragonites, Metapods and the like)

The exception to this rule is when you're out catching pokemon (obviously they'll add the three that you caught to your party) but you cannot use these newly captured pokemon to battle and catch other wild pokemon. In order to be able to use them, you'll have to travel back to the pokecenter and swap out your party members in order to comply with the rules.

You can buy any item and use any item in this challenge that is available to you, however, entering trainer battles with more than three pokemon in your party will result in a frowny face and a heap of your own shame. Oh, and the challenge will fail.

Eggs do not count as party members. So as long as they haven't hatched, you should be able to enter trainer battles with them, as you'll still black out as normal. I advise against this practice, however.

You can breed as many pokemon as you want, but I suggest that you hatch the eggs near where you received them to prevent yourself from being caught in a trainer battle with a pokemon hatched one step before.

If you have a pokemon you wish to level up using an experience share, it will have to be one of the three pokemon you're using in your party.

There is no saving before a pokemon trainer battle. If they beat you fair and square, pay them their cash and be on your way. The same goes for the elite four.

There is no limit to how many times you can re-battle a trainer. Since you're only using three pokemon, so they'll need to be strong.

Battle complexes can be entered (Colosseum, Train battles, competetions, etc.) but you must still use only three pokemon. If a challenge requires you to have four or more, you will have to participate in them later.

Once you have beat the elite four in the course of this challange, these restrictions go away and you're free to do as you please.

Well, that's it. There's my idea. If you can think of any holes, please let me know and I'll find a way to stuff them, koffi~

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 27, 2013
How is this different from a Trio Challenge / Tri-Species Challenge or a normal run with only 3 pokemons?

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
I don't know, koffi~

I also haven't ventured too far into the challenges section, so there may already be a challenge like this. Hmm. I'll have to come up with something else then, koff~

Edit: after looking it over, there are a few differences. You can't hack pokemon or trade them from other games. You have to use every thing the vanilla game gives you. So there are a few similarities, but there are a few differences. I may even come up with more set difficulties. For instance: Ultimate mode would mean you use your starter, and the first two pokemon you catch with pokeballs. That's it. So there is a bit of wiggle room, but not by much. I can always come up with new rules. And I believe that that thread was closed.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I just had a bundle of challenges sitting there waiting on approval and I am beyond happy to say they were all approved. This normally never happens, haha. Usually there's always some challenge that I just shake my head at, but not this time. Thanks for the great challenges and ideas, guys! <3 Makes me happy. :)

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 27, 2013
Okay, if the challenges I've seen are the ones I think have passed through approval, they are in no particular order:

• Lotterylocke - tl;dr: Randomlocke, if you don't know what that is, you're basically randomizing encounters via RNG and hacking / cheating. I don't know the OP's stance on the Universal Randomizer but since it makes everything much easier for all involved, I don't see why s/he would have a problem with it. OP'd by monsterhair005
  • Tri Species / Trio - Pick three Pokemon and you're ready to go. If one or more of these Pokemon cannot be obtained before the Xth gym, you may hack it in your game at a low level, this can also be done if the Pokemon isn't available on the game of your choice. OP'd by Porygon Z
  • Themes - There are 12 themes for your disposal to be picked and used, basically each theme say a keyword in which all Pokemon you use must fit that - e.g.: Cute - Pokemon accepted in the Amity Park, Baby Pokemon, Pokemon in the Fairy Egg group, etc. - the exception being random, in which you just randomize any other theme to use. OP'd by facekeyboarding
  • Two Moves - Each Pokemon you use may only use two moves, an attacking one and a status one. Now, with more liberal rules such as no longer having a number of Pokemon limit, and having some leeway with the starter's moves. OP'd by yours truly.

Since the challenge's thread are reserved for updates, this is the place to discuss them. So, discuss them we shall.

Now, in blunt terms the Trio Challenge is nothing new, has been done a thousand times and usually get a good number of people.

The "Lotterylocke" is also nothing particularly new, at least to Nuzlockers, simple enough a challenge should get a nice number of people interested in harder challenges.

The theme challenge has variety and teaming in sets is something many people do already, so, should get a nice interest as well.

My biggest concern is , as expected, the Two Move challenge, as history has showed it isn't exactly popular. But then again, this time around we have a much more liberal ruleset, so maybe there'll be more people around this time.

Anybody has some input?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
You actually are free to discuss the challenge in its thread. :o It just doesn't happen often, and it doesn't need to get too off track to where the thread becomes a type of DCC. That happened with the Shiny Hunters Challenge...which I think died off.

As far as the four challenges that got approved go, I don't really have much to say haha. We needed a new Trio thread, nothing wrong with that. I like having new and old challenges here, no matter how simple or complex. Two Moves is challenging and while I don't feel like it will get too popular, I'm sure it'll get enough to stay active for a bit and maybe gain a solid interest. Themes sounds like Laure's Dream Theme from last year or the year before, and Lotterylocke seemed different enough from the regular for me to allow it through. I don't have much stance on Nuzlocke or its variants. I never play them, lol. ;(

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 27, 2013
I wasn't saying old isn't good, it's just that ... there isn't much of a discussion.
But now that you say so, it does remind me of the Laure's theme challenge.

Maybe we can revive the weird egg challenge? That was fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back