• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Sorry to go off the topic of this discussion, but I was just wondering something. If there were plans to not include every Pokemon, thereby removing the possibility of catching each one, should the Pokedex still be included in the hack?

I think the Pokédex should be included anyway. It's a nice feature after all.

When you make scripts do you try and get them perfect and optimize them or do you just not bother due to laziness?

I always do, and you should to, whether it's a script or an ASM routine. Space is precious, there's no reason to waste it. Not to say an optimized script/routine is usually easier to handle and/or debug.

I have some offsets of common 'applymovements' in my XSE notepad that I re-use over and over again (like face left, face right, etc.)

Well, for simple things like a singe face left, etc., wouldn't be easier to simply use the spriteface command?

Juan

Brazilian with a bad English
Years
New topic on scripting.

When you make scripts do you try and get them perfect and optimize them or do you just not bother due to laziness?

I'm the first one, yo'll always find me looking for offsets for already compiled things to optimize scripting space.

You can use the 'std's. (callstd 0x??)

You can insert multiple stds(scritps), and then call them with callstd or gotostd.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2009
*sigh*

Tilesetting makes me sadface. I can handle the event coding for my hack, but I can't tileset to save my life, and none of the tilesets that are in the game are really suitable for what I need. Nor have any fanmade bases been done, because it's a fairly unusual kind of thing to need. I may dump this hack unless I get serious motivation from somewhere.

So, who else keeps getting blocked by their graphical limitations?

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2009
The entire game is set inside a very big building. There are only two or three pre-existing suitable tilesets, those being the Pokemon Mansion and the Power Plant, possibly the Rocket Warehouse, maybe, at an absolute stretch, the Underground Path. I'd use pre-existing graphics, but it would be hideously monotonous.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
*sigh*

Tilesetting makes me sadface. I can handle the event coding for my hack, but I can't tileset to save my life, and none of the tilesets that are in the game are really suitable for what I need. Nor have any fanmade bases been done, because it's a fairly unusual kind of thing to need. I may dump this hack unless I get serious motivation from somewhere.

So, who else keeps getting blocked by their graphical limitations?
Don't let graphical limitations get colse to you. Take a look a LightPlatinum by Wesley FG for example. :)

But if it's so hard for you, then you should switch to RMXP.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Well, for simple things like a singe face left, etc., wouldn't be easier to simply use the spriteface command?

For simply changing the way a sprite is facing, yes. However, I think it looks better when I use Step On The Spot (Fastest) to show that the person is actually turning which, as far as I know, can't be done with spriteface.

Don't let graphical limitations get colse to you. Take a look a LightPlatinum by Wesley FG for example. :)

But if it's so hard for you, then you should switch to RMXP.

I don't think he's talking about the graphical limitations of the GBA so much as his own artistic limitations, something which I, myself, struggle with constantly.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
Speaking of GBA limitations, there's nothing about the GBA hardware forcing Pokémon sprites to be 64 by 64, right? So theoretically, it should be possible to edit it to display D/P size sprites... Though I can guess that the ASM involved would be pretty complex :P

Would this be within the capabilities of PC's hackers? It may be an interesting project to take on after we finish fixing the unused Pokémon slots. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help as I have zero knowledge of ASM...

Juan

Brazilian with a bad English
Years
Speaking of GBA limitations, there's nothing about the GBA hardware forcing Pokémon sprites to be 64 by 64, right? So theoretically, it should be possible to edit it to display D/P size sprites... Though I can guess that the ASM involved would be pretty complex :P

GBATEK said:
Objects (OBJs) are moveable sprites. Up to 128 OBJs (of any size, up to 64x64 dots each) can be displayed per screen, and under best circumstances up to 128 OBJs (of small 8x8 dots size) can be displayed per horizontal display line.

The maximum size of sprites are 64x64
To use larger sprites, we have to work with tilesets and tilemaps, which would not be very feasible, as would occupy much space. (tileset + tilemap + animations)

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
The maximum size of sprites are 64x64
To use larger sprites, we have to work with tilesets and tilemaps, which would not be very feasible, as would occupy much space. (tileset + tilemap + animations)

But it is possible and we could repoint all the images to one tilemap couldn't we?

I tried to insert a sprite bigger than 64x64 and it worked, but it was a bit scrambled. :P

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
Me too, it was like I loaded an ugly tilemap :P

Yeah. I did try and search for a tilemap for it in unLZ, but I didn't find anything. =\

But as Juan said, 64x64 images don't need tilemaps or else a lot of the free space in FR would be used up for tilemaps. :P

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
You'd only need one tilemap; all the sprites could use the same one... But yeah, it's a lot more practical to use a single sprite, as I'm guessing using a tilemap would mean that animations wouldn't work (the ones that involve distorting the sprite etc), or at best, would have to be recoded.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
You'd only need one tilemap; all the sprites could use the same one... But yeah, it's a lot more practical to use a single sprite, as I'm guessing using a tilemap would mean that animations wouldn't work (the ones that involve distorting the sprite etc), or at best, would have to be recoded.

Hmm, yeah. But, couldn't we edit something in the Fire Red engine to make Sprites over 64x64 not use tilemaps? But then. we'd have the problem of wasting space if we inserted titlescreens and worldmaps, because we'd have to insert it as a whole, since if we reduce it, it would appear like that in VBA.

So I guess, we'll just need to learn to adapt to out limitations. :P

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Who's even thought about making Nintendo-published Wii games on the GBA ROMs,like Super Smash Bros. Brawl?

What the... No, just... The Wii games take too much memory I think (bear in mind the amount of buttons... Brawl takes (without C-Stick) around... just more, but without X and Y... Actually, just enough... I think... However, it may not be possible, unless you use a game with less memory though... I have seen people do a better port of Sonic 1 on the GBA than Sega and Nintendo, so... Maybe a SNES game, or POSSIBLY a N64 on the DS. But a Wii... No. If you mean Porting.

I forgot the sprite limitations, so it would be way choppier... I guess not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back