• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Shiny Shinies

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Have you ever saw those pokemon that come in a different color than normal that's introduced with a 'sparkle'? Those are shiny pokemon! "Shiny pokemon" have been pretty much introduced to the Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal games. These are pokemon that come in alternative colors than their original.

8KS6PqO.png

For example...

Spr_2c_006.gif

Normally, Charizard comes in a red-orangy color. But, as a shiny pokemon...

Spr_2c_006_s.gif

They become dark, red/purplely color. But do note that these sort of pokemon are very rare to find, as they have a really low encounter rate. Nonetheless, have you ever encountered a "Shiny Pokemon" before (other than the red gyarados)? Have you caught any of these Shiny pokemon? What do you think of this aspect as a whole? Feel free to discuss!

Years
I came cross a shiny Hoothoot at the national park one time. It was pretty interesting. Especially since later I found out that Ash caught a shiny Noctowl in the anime. I always loved the way it sparkled when it came out in Pokemon Stadium 2. The effect was pretty!

I nicknamed it Kaepora, I think... after that owl from the Legend of Zelda. I think it was female, but I didn't take that into account at the time. :x

Years
Nope. :( Never had the luck to come across any shiny pokemon other than the gyarados. I can somehow catch pokerus, but apparently running into a shiny pokemon is way beyond the bounds of my luck.

(Kind of a shame, too. I would have adored something like a shiny ampharos in my gold version. I loved the original G/S/C colors for it so much.)

I'm a bit indifferent to the whole concept of it, although it does make for a nice little surprise, I suppose. It's interesting, is what I'll say about it.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
Sadly no :(
Never in the Second gen or 1st did i find any shinies i did try but the ratio is SOOO small! I do wish to get a shiny Charizard in those games one day though as well as a shiny Meganium!

I like the concept cause it adds an additional challenge to the games and makes some people feel realllly special if they can catch one. Its kinda a mini achievement haha and to have one on your team especially as your lead or partner pokemon makes you feel triumphant to everyone that you battle in the game! Although i do wish the ratio was lower in the current generation for more of a challenge :3

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
I have found quite a few(like 5 in non hack games) but only one in GSC.
You see, I had no way to buy an actual cartridge back then, so I had a Gold rom. One day I had my Quilava out and we were running around outside Goldenrod, when we ran into an Abra. After it ran away, I thought 'Well shoot we can look for another one'. So me and Phloe(Quilava) set off again for an Abra. THE. THIS FREAKING BEAUTIFUL BLUE FEMALE NIDORAN JUMPS UP AND SPARKLES ALL OVER THE PLACE SHE SPIT STARS AT US IT WAS SO BEAUTIFUL WE HAD TO WEAR SUNGLASSES

Of course I caught her haha. What's worse is I got a female starter in that game. Female Cyndaquil, Shiny Nidoran caught on first try..... I feel a little greedy with the luck, haha.
I was supposed to be asleep but me and my sister had stayed up later than usual and I decided to play that game. Nidoran is still one of my favorites, so a shiny of my favorite was practically a 'GOOD JOB' trophy.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Just a few months ago when i was actively playing monotype challenges with my Crystal Grass monotype, I encountered and caught a shiny hoothoot near the daycare center. It was highly unexpected especially since i needed to find a Hoppip for a Jumpluff later on my grass mono run but I just caught it for the sake of self fulfillment. And because its the 2nd gen where Shinies were actually stronger than regular mons, that Hoothoot into Noctowl could have become a god for my team, if only I wasn't playing a monotype challege on that save file.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
in gold/silver, the only one i found was a beedril. not very excited about it, but i often looked for them since.

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
Years
There was a time I didn't know what shiny Pokemon were.

And then I encountered a shiny Weepinbell near Mahogany Town.

Killed it, duh.

Bobbylicious

Banned
Years
I caught a shiny geodude in crystal.

I don't even remember catching it, I just remember telling my friend "it shined" and that's about it. I think it took me forever to realize it was shiny lol

Years
I found a shiny Bellsprout in a Pokemon Silver cartridge, but I was angry when I found it so early at the start of the game......because the cartridge didn't save.......

Years
Outside the red Gyarados, all I've found was a shiny Smoochum that hatched from the Day Care's mystery egg (and that had a 14% chance to be shiny in localized versions, iirc). Those of you who found shinies are lucky! I'd have been so excited as a kid even if I hardly knew anything about them.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Aside from the Red Gyarados and the egg you can hatch in Crystal that has a chance at being shiny (I got an Igglybuff!), I have found one shiny in GSC. During the Stadium Arcadium challenge event last year, one of the things you could do to earn points was find a random shiny. So I'm playing my French Silver trying to get badges to earn points for the event, and I'm thinking "lmao what if I actually found a shiny for this event" and like literally after joking about that, I found a shiny Ekans. I caught her and named her Pants, like the shiny Ekans I caught years ago in SoulSilver. Ah. Memories. :') And apparently shiny snakes really like me. lol It's just a shame she can't come over to gen VI with me, but she gets to live through the gen IV Pants, so I'm not too bummed. I like to think they're one in the same snake. :)

Edit: Oh right, what do I think of shiny Pokemon. I know a lot of people write them off because of their difficulty to find in the earlier titles, but then they're too easy now apparently idk make up your mind y'all lol. But I love shiny Pokemon! I don't have many in this generation, but I find the concept really fun and they're really fun for me to collect in later generations like V and VI. :) I have a lot of shiny Pokemon from some really wonderful and generous people on this forum as well and those mean a lot to me. <3

Sirfetch’d

It's been so long that I honestly can no longer remember. I kind of recall running into a shiny Sentret once and definitely remember catching a shiny in Ice Cave but don't remember what it was haha. I've replayed the games a few times too but I don't think I have caught any other shinies D:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I've only found 4 non-default Shinies in GSC: Golbat, Weedle, Pidgey, and Koffing (in that order).

When I encountered Golbat, I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when I saw the sparkle (I couldn't tell the color difference). I tried running from it, but it wouldn't let me and I could've sworn that it said "You don't want to do that!" instead of "Couldn't get away!" I caught it and checked it in my PC. Sure enough, there were the three stars in the corner of its status screen.

Shiny Pokémon are like a drug to me. I'm addicted to hunting them and, ever since the Shiny rate was increased in XY, I start having fits if I don't get at least one per month. Pretty much all I do in the current gen. is hatch eggs via Masuda Method. Trying for a Girafarig right now.

I have mixed opinions about the rate increase. Pre-XY Shinies (excluding PokéRadar Shinies) definitely feel more special, but I like that being able to get your dream Shinies is more realistic now.

Thinking about restarting one of my older games to see if I come across a Shiny during my adventure. Probably not RBYGSC, though (I'd like to be able to transfer what I get to AS).

Last edited:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Yep! I remember sitting in my living room one night in front of the fire playing Pokemon Gold when I was stumbled across a blue Swinub in Ice Path. I was a bit confused because I never new what a shiny Pokemon was then. Lucky I caught it because I found it unsual though, otherwise I will forever regret not doing so haha. Other than the Red Gyarados as well, I never encountered another shiny Pokemon in any GSC or RBY game!

KillerMapper

Helix Follower
Years
I played almost all generations (I just skipped gen 5) since 1998, and I never got a shiny. In fact, until I saw a random video on youtube about the gen 4 (I watched it a bit before the first gen 5 release), I didn't even know that Pokémons could have another color (I though the red gyarados was unique).

Same for pokérus. I learned last year there was a virus in Pokémon... Never got it.

Years
  • Seen Jan 9, 2016
I caught 4 or 5 in Silver. But never seen one in the wild since. Too bad you can't export from GSC to RSEFRLG. Too bad my battery died in the silver cart a long time before I ever got emerald or fire red.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I never even knew about shiny Pokemon until Pokemon Diamond. When playing Pokemon Gold when I was little I thought that the Gyarados was red because he was another trainer's Pokemon before I caught him. lol

Imagine the shock I had when I saw a different colored zigzagoon randomly in Pokemon Diamond. Anyways, I never saw a shiny in the older games unfortunately. :c

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
Never encountered a shiny on any of the games, apart from the Red Gyarados in Lake of Rage.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jun 27, 2015
I caught a shiny arbok in silver version on my real cart near the pokecentre on the north entrance to union cave (as a level 6 ekans ofc)

its now level 56 and I stil have it , got it in December on the last day of 2014,

ironically I had bought a gameshark about 3 weeks earlier so its not like I didn't already have one of the haha

I do love arboks movepool though ingame , he alays seems to have a move to deal with most threats and is fast (annoyed by slow moving things that are eating away at my potion/lemonade and x accuracy supplies continually lol)

Back