• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Official glitch discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elite-Four-Mark

I'm in the elite four now!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 28, 2008
I have a question about the MissingNo. glitch. It's kind of odd, but bear with me.

I was playing red on my GBA SP and I ran into MissingNo. A few days later I tried to put some Gameshark codes into Ruby Version and my Gameshark went dead. Is there any connection?

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 17, 2011
I have a question about the MissingNo. glitch. It's kind of odd, but bear with me.

I was playing red on my GBA SP and I ran into MissingNo. A few days later I tried to put some Gameshark codes into Ruby Version and my Gameshark went dead. Is there any connection?

I'm not sure. But when I got an Xploder cart I used it a couple of times on Sapphire and it died the same day. It was rubbish, barley worked.

Elite-Four-Mark

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 28, 2008
I don't know, then, because my gameshark was awesome.

I could just get another and use it on my stepdad's GBA though.

Saviour_Gundam

ZGMF-X23S
Years
  • Age 36
  • CT
  • Seen Sep 24, 2010
I honestly dunno what I did. I used no Game shark whatsoever for this:
I was playing Red version, I transfered Bulbasaur and Charmander over to blue and back so I could use all 3 starter pokemon. Anyway I was in Rock Tunnel, battled the first trainer, then I went up the first set of stairs after entering the cave and stood there, then checked out the Poke'dex info for Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle, followed by Ivysaur, Charmeleon and Wartortle. Took ONE step forward and was attacked by a Wild Mew! Lv. 10. Tried catching it, but I didn't expect it so I didn't stock up on Balls, so it got away after I ran out of poke'balls and my only great ball...

weird?

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
I had a really strange yet funny glitch today :D
It probably has happened to someone else though :\
So I was cloning my EEVEE on crystal and when I went to look at it in my box it was ??????????? and whenever I looked at it my game froze :O
So I just got rid of it through Pokemon Stadium 2.
It was a normal EEVEE except it weren't. :cross-eye
It was a EEVEE except where it would say EEVEE it was blank. Luckily I got rid of it, I thought it would mess up my game. This is probably common though.

Elite-Four-Mark

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 28, 2008
...not really.

@ saviour gundam, what you probably got was an alteration of the normal mew glitch. see if you can recreate it and write down what you did so glitch enthusaists can learn it.

And it's official, the first gen. of pokemon is the glitchiest set of games ever.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I just did something strange on my Red Version.

I have already done the Mew glitch, so I now have a Mew (leveled up to lv.80).

Anyway, I was sort of mixing glitches (Mew & A glithes). I walked past Nugget Bridge and went left. I walked down and opened the start menu before the guy standing in the patch of grass saw me. I flew to Celedon City and went left to Cycling Road. I rode down to to patch of grass where two trainers are standing and battled the Cueball. After the battle, I finished riding through Cycling Road and went to Route 15, where I encountered a Ditto. I threw a PokeBall (hoping that I would not catch it) and the PokeBall didn't work, so Ditto transformed into Mew (who has a Special Stat of 221). I attacked to Ditto and defeated it. Afterward, I flew back to Cerulean City and went up north to Nugget Bridge. As I was crossing, my menu popped up. I closed it and entered into battle... but not a wild Pokemon battle. Instead of a Pokemon popping up (like it normally does), a trainer appeard, a Juggler, and wanted to fight. He sent out a Hypno (can't remember what level) and my Mew defeated it.

Do you think it's possible to generate a Prof. Oak by doing something similar to this?

Arcknight316

left pc
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 12, 2008
When somehow my Silver game's internal battery ran dry, i threw it on the ground and tried it again. To my surprise, the game was in black and white, not like in Red & Blue, but the whole backround except for the text and cut outs of the trainers and scenary was Black, and the things i just listed were white. Too bad i turned it off because it went back to normal after that.

My game does that too, but in a different way. Often, if I accidentally shake my GB or drop it, the game freezes and restarts.....in different colors! I've never gotten B&W, though.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
I just did something strange on my Red Version.

I have already done the Mew glitch, so I now have a Mew (leveled up to lv.80).

Anyway, I was sort of mixing glitches (Mew & A glithes). I walked past Nugget Bridge and went left. I walked down and opened the start menu before the guy standing in the patch of grass saw me. I flew to Celedon City and went left to Cycling Road. I rode down to to patch of grass where two trainers are standing and battled the Cueball. After the battle, I finished riding through Cycling Road and went to Route 15, where I encountered a Ditto. I threw a PokeBall (hoping that I would not catch it) and the PokeBall didn't work, so Ditto transformed into Mew (who has a Special Stat of 221). I attacked to Ditto and defeated it. Afterward, I flew back to Cerulean City and went up north to Nugget Bridge. As I was crossing, my menu popped up. I closed it and entered into battle... but not a wild Pokemon battle. Instead of a Pokemon popping up (like it normally does), a trainer appeard, a Juggler, and wanted to fight. He sent out a Hypno (can't remember what level) and my Mew defeated it.

Do you think it's possible to generate a Prof. Oak by doing something similar to this?

I'm working on this glitch... I want to see if I can get another Mew with it.

Special Stat - Result
25 - Gastly

32 - MissingNo.

42 - Mr. Mime

51 - Magmar

59 - Diglett

68 - MissingNo.

83 - Ninetales

107 - Zubat
108 - (not tried)
109 - Paras
110 - (not tried)
111 - Poliwrath
112 - Weedle
113 - Kakuna
114 - Beedrill
115 - MissingNo.
116 - Dodrio

120 - Dewgong
121 - MissingNo.
122 - MissingNo.
123 - (not tried)
124 - Metapod
125 - (not tried)
126 - Machamp
127 - MissingNo.
128 - Golduck
129 - (not tried)
130 - Golbat
131 - Mewtwo
132 - Snorlax
133 - (not tried)
134 - MissingNo.
135 - (not tried)
136 - Muk
137 - MissingNo.
138 - Kingler
139 - (not tried)
140 - MissingNo.
141 - Electrode
142 - Clefable

221 - Juggler
222 - (not tried)
223 - Bird Keeper

(I can't remember what Special Stat I used to get Bruno to appear. When he did, he used the same Pokemon that Blaine uses.)

I'LL BE UPDATING THE LIST AS I GO.

Last edited:

Elite-Four-Mark

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 28, 2008
have you found a way to get charizard with this glitch?

or any of the starters? I already messed up my game with the MissingNo., so I'd try anything.

Vyro

Master Douchelord
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2014
this is more of a gameshark error than a glitch, but it is funny.

i activated the lv.99 code, a quick level up code, and a code I found that is called"starter is missingno"

i turned them on before I even started the game, i chose squirtle as my starter and faced my rival(Gary, who would have had bulbasaur) and he sent out bulbasaur, but bulbasaur's sprite was gary's so Eventually I beat him, and m ow got screwed up and I was a clefairy. so I went out to route 1 and a lv.999 wild gary appeared!

Years
With my Red version I recently came across an undiscovered place in Glitch City (at least I think it's undiscovered). This is how I got there:

You enter the city using the right side of Cinnabar Island.

After you enter Glitch City, then keep going to left until you get stuck in an invisible wall. Make sure your trainer is facing the right, then press your START menu, (the whole screen should be water now) and get on your Pokémon that knows Surf.

Now comes the more difficult part. You'll need to navigate using your START menu. Although it looks like you're Surfing on land, press your START menu and it's actually a pond. There are 3 ponds, so you'll need to use the START button every few steps. It'll help you figure out where to go.

After you get to the 2nd pond, the whole screen should turn to water, or at least most of it. Now, all you have to do is go down. Eventually you'll see those weird pillar thingys that you sometimes see in water. Just keep going down. Soon you'll find another chunk of land and houses and other strange pixels, etc. I call it Glitch Island. The only problem is that you get stuck in an invisible wall before you get to go back on land. >>;;

Harry Blue5

I vill suck your Electricity..
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 27, 2011
Here is an extract from Glitch City Laboratories page 'Glitch Myths':

"Glitch Myths (Updates) Most chances you or one of your friends has heard or even fallen for one of these common Pokémon/Glitch myths at one time. Back when Pokémon Red/Blue were new to the video game market and everyone was playing them, myths ran rampant, especially with the discovery of MissingNo. and the general mysteriousness of a game as large as Pokémon. Well, now I, ACE91, will debunk many common Pokémon and Glitch myths and explain the truth about the Pokémon games. Read on... Ace's Pokémon MythBusters

Myth: "You shouldn't capture MissingNo. It will completely wreck your game."
Truth: Fear and uncertainty always seem to win out over scientific testing and knowledge... I can say that I believed this one myself for a long time, but then I saw the truth. The Glitch Pokémon MissingNo. and 'M, contrary to popular belief, do not cause significant permanent damage to your game. However, they do cause a few glitchy things to happen, but these are easily overlooked or fixed. First off, the one thing that makes most people wary of MissingNo. is that it messes up the game's graphics when caught, causing enemy Pokémon images to be flipped horizontally and your character's image to be scrambled. This is easily fixed by simply looking at the stats of a normal, non-Glitch Pokémon. It will happen again if you view MissingNo's stats, but you can just view another Pokémon's stats and return the game's graphics to normal again. It has also been said that sending an 'M to your PC will freeze the game when you view your PC, and this has truth to it... sort of. The freezing will only occur if the 'M is at Level 0, because the game can't process a Level 0 Pokémon correctly. 'Ms over Level 0 will cause no problems. The one bit of permanent damage that MissingNo. and 'M do cause is scrambling your Hall of Fame and filling it with a glitchy mess. This will happen when you encounter a Glitch Pokémon, even if you don't capture it. However, it's a worthwile trade for multiplied items. After all, how often do you look at your Hall of Fame?​
Myth: "If you talk to Oak a million times, he'll give you a Pikablu/Pikatwo/Pikayou/Pikawho/Pikashoe/Pikaglue/Pikaf00/slap in the face/whatever."
Truth: Any "code" that involves getting a "secret Pokémon" that isn't in the game and isn't glitched (like the infamous "Pikablu," which some people I know actually believe exists) is definitely fake. Cheats that involve hidden, non-glitched cities, extra HMs, and stuff like that are also fake. The only "extra" Pokémon that the developers put in the game is Mew, and it can be acquired through a glitch. The people who make this stuff up only want to make you waste your time chasing some stupid joke. Of course, if you're really determined, keep trying to make something that doesn't exist appear. Oak might just be generous and give you that slap in the face. :P​
Myth: "If you catch all 150 Pokémon and talk to the guy in Celadon Mansion, you'll get a Mew."
Truth: Not really. All you get for your hard work of completing the entire Pokédex is a diploma. No Mew. Some say (and I myself once thought) that Mew can be obtained this way on the Japanese versions of Pokémon Red/Blue, but I have no way to prove this true or false, as I do not own one. Even though you won't get Mew for catching all 150 other Pokémon, you can still get Mew on Pokémon Red, Blue, and Yellow by using the Mew Glitch.​
Myth: "There's some kind of awesome secret that the developers didn't want you to find in the grass beyond the fence beside Route 1."
Truth: For years gamers have wondered what lies in that seemingly endless expanse of grass to the right and left of Route 1 that no one can get to. Some people think you can find Mew or Glitch Pokémon there, others think there's a secret area beyond the grass. Well, there's a "secret" there all right... You take one step into that grass and your game freezes. People have tried this with the Gameshark walk-through-walls code and the same thing has happened every time. No, this isn't because of some defense system that the developers added or anything, it's actually because there's nothing out there. It's not that there's no grass beyond there or anything, there's just nothing. No data, not even empty space. The developers didn't program anything out there because you're not supposed to be able to go there, so when someone walks far enough to see the spot where the grass ends, the game crashes because it doesn't know what to do with the null data. Coincidentally, this is the same reason that the game freezes if you Surf too far in any direction in Glitch City.​
Myth: "When you through a Pokeball, holding down the B button and the Down button will make the Pokeball act as a Master ball."
Truth: This doesn't happen. The rate of catching Pokemon is determined by a simple formula the moment you select your Pokeball. So if the Pokemon will be caught or not is determined before the Pokeball even appears on the screen, and any button pressing will not effect the outcome.​
I will be debunking more common myths in the days to come, so stay tuned to this page. Also, if you know a myth or something that you think is a myth, join the forums and post it on the official Glitch MythBusters thread. Your myth just might be posted on the site."

I copied and pasted it from the pages. Hopefully it might help us when looking for glitches! :)

Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2010
My sister Has Red And i dont think this is a glitch or not but i'll post it here.
So my sister saved in lavender town and she turned off here game boy advance.
The next time she turned on her GBA she was not in lavender town yet she was in this place that seemed like it looped.
it looked like this
Key
_ = ledge
{} = Player

She could move left, right and Down. So i kept moving her Right and She got stuck in this totally weird place. There where house that seemd to be cut off at the top
and all she could do was rotate. does any one think this was a glich or a bug or something or was her game just corupt

Years
Weird Gold Glitch

I have just encountered the single most BIZARRE glitch ever on pokemon gold.
However, I'm playing on an emulator. But no abnormal settings, just the way it would play on a Gameboy.
First, the scenario. I'm at the top of the Ho-oh tower place, and I've just earned my 8th badge. I'm trying to catch Ho-oh; I try for the first 3 hours of the car ride, but finally I get sick of it and use my master ball. Bear in mind, I've been trying to catch Ho-oh for about a month now. So I catch it, and this is where the weirdness starts: it says something like "Gotcha! T%a@(cell phone symbol)(more garbage) has been caught!". I was all like WTF? So I fly back to Blackthorn, to withdraw it and take on the E4.

I walk up to the PC, with box 1 selected. I open the box, and... it's empty. So I switch to box 2, but while I switch, I notice that box 1 has "39/20" pokemon in it. 0__0 I open Box 2, which allegedly has 4 pokemon in it, and this is what I find. Now bear in mind, I don't have the box EXACTLY as it was when this happened, because I withdrew a pokemon or two... 4 to be exact. But this is what I have left in it, and what I withdrew:
Still in the box
Legend: Name/Actual name/Level/Gender/Item/Moveset

qIKZA(dollar sign)ZCJCBRB e y KD DUGTRIONaQ/Zubat/144/Female/Eon Mail(unread)/Ice Punch, Acid Armor, Fury Attack, Spore

qTYPHLOSION/Magikarp/255/Male/PSNCUREBERRY/Mean Look, Reflect, Belly Drum, Pound

R(oMArpkmnRED STARYU/MR. MIME/12/Male/LIGHT BALL/Nightmare, Scratch, Karate Chop, Destiny Bond

I Z B ABRrZ p )MAGIKARPb B(dollar sign)U TY/Octillery/2/Female/TERU-SAMA/Ice Punch, Scary Face, Strength, Crabhammer

Z AS C:JW( (left arrow) JU AGIRAFARIGY(qYPC'l/Pidgey/90/Male/Red Scale/Glare, Bind, Fury Swipes, Swagger

R)R4YVZ:QueePIDGEOT/Arbok/162/Female/TERU-SAMA/Rock Slide, Explosion (lol exploding arbok :P), Disable, Surf

z KUcc(Left Arrow)q) (slash)HI AGREENI -SUNFLORA/Magikarp/193/Female/EXP. SHARE/Thrash, Nightmare, Ice Beam, Encore(This is one sweet magikarp o.0)

Is YD j(yEY PkZZODDISH/CHIKORITA/16/Male/S.S TICKET/Dragonbreath, Explosion, Mega Kick

APIKACHU/Raichu/10/Male/TM50/Growl, Spike Cannon, Fly, Guillotine

YELECTRODE/Hoothoot/176/Female/Leftovers/Explosion, Rolling Kick, Super Fang, Double Kick

l fD(dollar sign)AZ ) 's KG E (2ZSLDOMANYTEpIQ/128/Male/EXP. SHARE/Stomp, Drill Peck, Future Sight, Mega Kick

JMAREEP_cVS/Blastoise/136/Female/TERU-SAMA/Double Kick, Scary Face, Haze, Swift

jEnemy I aRED BAYLEEF/Ledyba/202/Female/Sun Stone/Agility, Fire Spin, Milk Drink, Dream Eater

c(Left Arrow) NBYAQ (u STARYU/Marowak/194/Male/Basement Key (lol)/Spider Web, Mega Kick, Pound, Conversion

Withdrawn PokemonWhen I withdraw them, their level resets to 100.

aMRS WMW(Dollar Sign) u J i SVyARTICUNOi/Articuno/100/Genderless/Poke Doll/Guillotine, Crabhammer, Scary Face, Tackle

S (Dollar Sign) uS ) XJyYIVyJmi ZAPDOS/Zapdos/100/Genderless/TM03/Growth, Dizzy Punch, Hyper Fang, Wing Attack

u J i S ) JmrRYaMRSi WMMEW/Mew/Genderless/100/EXP. SHARE/Slam, Crabhammer, Mega Kick, Pound

XJyYIVyJmrRWMWQUILAVA/Quilava/100/Male/Gorgeous Box/Poison Gas, Disable, Doubleslap, Flame Wheel

And that's just Box 2 Every other box has just as many pokemon in it, and I don't feel like listing them; this post has taken me nearly half an hour.

I swear to you all, I have never touched an Action Replay, Gameshark, Codebreaker, Xploder, or any other outside cheating device... but there is one thing:

As you may or may not know, about a year ago, G/S cartridges across America stopped saving. The batteries on the games died. So I had to use an emulator.
A few side notes: All the pokemon has Pokerus. And, did you notice how all the names have another pokemon name in it? That's just poor notation on my part. The mumbo jumbo is the pokemon's nickname, the name inside the mumbo jumbo is what comes after the slash. What I call "Actual Name" is what the pokemon's SPRITE is. It is all very strange. Also, the pokemon types are weird. The Chikorita (SPRITE) was, apparently, ROCK/WATER type.

I guess the reason I made this post is because I want to know if anyone here can explain this (perhaps you're familiar with GBC programming/hacking?), or has this happened to anyone else? I'm very happy, I have a team of ubers basically, but... I never found my Ho-oh :3 Ah well.

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
Years
Probably a common one, but I tried to duplicate my Furret on Silver Version, but when I went to go withdraw it, it was a Kingdra at the same level (this was a long time ago, so I don't remember exactly..), but had an infinitively long name (I'm guessing, because the game crashed when I opened the box). It was in my party after I turned the game back on.

Erbe

Misses the good old days :(
Years
Dying Pokemon... this reminds me of what happened on my Yellow Version once. I can't remember exactly how it happened, but it was something like this: I had caught another Pikachu on my Yellow Version & my original Pikachu became angry... so I decided to trade the other to my Red Version (which had a lot of MissingNo. on it). When I started playing my Yellow Version again, Pikachu wasn't following me! I had traded over the wrong Pikachu... It was a little while before I traded it back over (though I can't remember why I had to wait). When I finally did, Pikachu was behind me again, however, when I would look at it, a skull & cross-bones appeared over its head, and whenever I would talk to someone in a building and start walking around again, Pikachu would stay by the other person. As soon as I would leave the building, Pikachu would start following me again, up until I went into another building & talked to someone... I used to say that Pikachu died and was now a zombie, but I think the fact was that it just hated me.

same thing happend to me, eventually, my pikachu was completely gone. wasnt in my storage boxes or party, or daycare.. i have no idea where it went

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 29, 2019
Dying Pokemon... this reminds me of what happened on my Yellow Version once. I can't remember exactly how it happened, but it was something like this: I had caught another Pikachu on my Yellow Version & my original Pikachu became angry... so I decided to trade the other to my Red Version (which had a lot of MissingNo. on it). When I started playing my Yellow Version again, Pikachu wasn't following me! I had traded over the wrong Pikachu... It was a little while before I traded it back over (though I can't remember why I had to wait). When I finally did, Pikachu was behind me again, however, when I would look at it, a skull & cross-bones appeared over its head, and whenever I would talk to someone in a building and start walking around again, Pikachu would stay by the other person. As soon as I would leave the building, Pikachu would start following me again, up until I went into another building & talked to someone... I used to say that Pikachu died and was now a zombie, but I think the fact was that it just hated me.

Well, it's probably because when you trade a pokemon it's happiness value is reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back