• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald Party Looking for Improvement

clarify

Years
This is my party in Emerald (yeah, old, I know), and I'm thinking of ways to improve it. Any suggestions?
All are Lv. 100

Raichu: Holding a Magnet, knows Volt Tackle, Charm, Mimic, and Hyper Beam.
Salamence: Holding a Shell Bell, knows Crunch, Fly, Flamethrower, and Dragon Claw.
Metagross: Holding Leftovers, knows Meteor Mash, Psychic, Sludge Bomb, and Hyper Beam.
Sceptile: Holding Miracle Seed, knows Leaf Blade, ThunderPunch, Earthquake, and Dragon Claw.
Blaziken: Holding Charcoal, knows Blaze Kick, Sky Uppercut, Rock Slide, and Mirror Move.
Swampert: Holding Mystic Water, knows Surf, Earthquake, Ice Beam, and Substitute.

PikachuGuy

THOSE CHU'Z
Years
It's good to see that there's people still playing the older ones, over the crap new ones.

Is this team ev'ed or for tournament play? Or is it just for playing?

I think for Raichu, I'd delete Mimic for Brick Break. Maybe somebody else will know more and provide a little more tips. I don't play competitively, nor do I ev train that much.

clarify

Years
Yeah, I didn't try to EV the team, but I'm just trying to kick the Frontier Brains' asses. I was thinking of getting rid of the Hyper Beams and replacing them with some type of attack that has over 75 power, but I'm not sure which ones.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
This is my party in Emerald (yeah, old, I know), and I'm thinking of ways to improve it. Any suggestions?
All are Lv. 100

Raichu: Holding a Magnet, knows Volt Tackle, Charm, Mimic, and Hyper Beam.
Salamence: Holding a Shell Bell, knows Crunch, Fly, Flamethrower, and Dragon Claw.
Metagross: Holding Leftovers, knows Meteor Mash, Psychic, Sludge Bomb, and Hyper Beam.
Sceptile: Holding Miracle Seed, knows Leaf Blade, ThunderPunch, Earthquake, and Dragon Claw.
Blaziken: Holding Charcoal, knows Blaze Kick, Sky Uppercut, Rock Slide, and Mirror Move.
Swampert: Holding Mystic Water, knows Surf, Earthquake, Ice Beam, and Substitute.

Raichu: Holding a Magnet, knows Volt Tackle, Charm, Brick Break / Surf, and Hyper Beam.
Salamence: Holding a Shell Bell, knows Crunch, Hydro Pump, Flamethrower, and Dragon Claw.
Metagross: Holding Choice Band, knows Meteor Mash, Earthquake, Rock Slide, and Explosion.
Sceptile: Holding Leftovers, knows Leaf Blade, ThunderPunch / Dragon Claw, Leech Seed, and Dragon Claw / Substitute.
Blaziken: Holding Salac Berry, knows Fire Blast, Sky Uppercut, Rock Slide / Hidden Power [FLY], and Swords Dance.
Swampert: Holding Chesto Berry, knows Hydro Pump, Earthquake, Ice Beam, and Rest.

Unfortunately, items kind of suck in Gen III... And the pre-Physical / Special split definitely suck.

Anti

return of the king
Years
If I could give you one piece of advice for beating the Frontier, it's that you should have a lot of bulk. Most of the time you're not going to be able to OHKO stuff as you go deeper in each facility unless you're using a Choice Band Slaking. Otherwise, you need Pokemon that can take hits as well as dish them out.

For that reason, Raichu is probably not a good idea since it's really pretty frail and doesn't have the power to make up for it. Its movepool is also pretty limited unless you're willing to IV breed for Hidden Power (which just isn't worth it given Raichu's other limitations).

The same goes for Sceptile. It's really fast but is pretty bad. I used to use Sceptile a lot but found that it couldn't even OHKO Water-types with Leaf Blade (well, the bulky ones like Walrein, Lapras, etc.) and then would get nailed by Ice Beam.

I don't know what you access to extra TMs is because without Earthquake you can't really do much. The best physical attackers all need it pretty badly (think Metagross, Salamence, Slaking, Gyarados, etc.), and without it, you're basically going to have to run a defensive team to win. That's not all bad though since defense is what wins in the Frontier but it's always good to have a strong attacker when stalling won't work (like against Rest Suicune or something like that).

If you do have access, the moveset changes made by Gymnotide are going to help (though I wouldn't change Surf to Hydro Pump--the extra power doesn't help like it does in competitive since your opponents rarely switch, and it's not like taking an extra Drill Peck from Skarmory is going to be anyone's undoing). You should focus on narrowing it down to three Pokemon though to work on getting their weaknesses covered.

Anyway, good luck, it took me several years to get six gold symbols (stupid Battle Factory >_<) and I know it can be a total pain. I hope you don't get haxed too badly ;(

clarify

Years
Raichu: Holding a Magnet, knows Volt Tackle, Charm, Brick Break / Surf, and Hyper Beam.
Salamence: Holding a Shell Bell, knows Crunch, Hydro Pump, Flamethrower, and Dragon Claw.
Metagross: Holding Choice Band, knows Meteor Mash, Earthquake, Rock Slide, and Explosion.
Sceptile: Holding Leftovers, knows Leaf Blade, ThunderPunch / Dragon Claw, Leech Seed, and Dragon Claw / Substitute.
Blaziken: Holding Salac Berry, knows Fire Blast, Sky Uppercut, Rock Slide / Hidden Power [FLY], and Swords Dance.
Swampert: Holding Chesto Berry, knows Hydro Pump, Earthquake, Ice Beam, and Rest.

Unfortunately, items kind of suck in Gen III... And the pre-Physical / Special split definitely suck.
Raichu: I was thinking about Brick Break; also need one with higher IVs, anyway.
Salamence: I was thinking of Steel Wing, but it seems too weak. Also, Fly isn't that weak because of STAB bonus, but I'll consider Hydro Pump.
Metagross: I thought about getting rid of Hyper Beam and Sludge Bomb, but not Psychic (again, STAB). I'll probably take Earthquake and Explosion. Just have to find another TM. Ugh. Also, I honestly hate the Choice Band.
Sceptile: Leach Seed barely does anything. I might need to reconsider Dragon Claw, though. I might have to breed Substitute onto one from Swampert. Also, I have the Miracle Seed so that it doesn't have the problem of not taking down bulky Water types with Leaf Blade.
Blaziken: I was thinking about Fire Blast, but with the increased critical hit ratio from Blaze Kick, I'm not sure. I do think though that Swords Dance is a great suggestion. Wish I thought about that. Might also consider the Salac Berry idea as well.
Swampert: As Anti said, I don't really think it's necessary to get rid of Surf. I might use the Rest/Chesto Berry combo, though. Also thinking about Blizzard instead of Ice Beam, but that might be pushing it.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
Raichu: I was thinking about Brick Break; also need one with higher IVs, anyway.
Salamence: I was thinking of Steel Wing, but it seems too weak. Also, Fly isn't that weak because of STAB bonus, but I'll consider Hydro Pump.
Metagross: I thought about getting rid of Hyper Beam and Sludge Bomb, but not Psychic (again, STAB). I'll probably take Earthquake and Explosion. Just have to find another TM. Ugh. Also, I honestly hate the Choice Band.
Sceptile: Leach Seed barely does anything. I might need to reconsider Dragon Claw, though. I might have to breed Substitute onto one from Swampert. Also, I have the Miracle Seed so that it doesn't have the problem of not taking down bulky Water types with Leaf Blade.
Blaziken: I was thinking about Fire Blast, but with the increased critical hit ratio from Blaze Kick, I'm not sure. I do think though that Swords Dance is a great suggestion. Wish I thought about that. Might also consider the Salac Berry idea as well.
Swampert: As Anti said, I don't really think it's necessary to get rid of Surf. I might use the Rest/Chesto Berry combo, though. Also thinking about Blizzard instead of Ice Beam, but that might be pushing it.

I got rid of Fly on Salamence because Fly is a horrible move. It's Physical too, when the rest of your moves are Special.

Psychic is okay, but Metagross' SpATK is 40 points lower than his ATK. More often than not, your other moves will do more damage.

I put SubSeed on Sceptile because he's pretty weak offensively. He has a good 105 bSpATK but doesn't own up with 70+35 bP Leaf Blade. It's pretty good, but I don't own calcs.

Back