• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help me with my HeartGold team please

Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2012
Hey guys, I'm having some trouble deciding on which Pokemon to keep and use.

I just beat the 8th gym leader and now I'm on my way to the Pokemon league, but I'm having trouble deciding which 6 pokemon to use. Here are the ones I'm deciding between:

(If there is a pokemon you think I should get, please tell me.)

Typhlosion - lv. 47
Blast Burn
Quick Attack
Lava Plume
Flamethrower

Ampharos - lv. 47
Thunder
Discharge
Iron Tail
Focus Punch

Mamoswine - lv. 47
Blizzard
Take Down
Avalanche
Earthquake

Noctowl - lv. 47
Fly
Air Cutter
Zen Headbutt
Extrasensory

Gyarados - lv. 47
Whirlpool
Hyper Beam
Hydro Pump
Ice Fang

Haunter - lv. 40
Shadow Ball
Dark Pulse
Confuse Ray
Hypnosis

The levels dont matter because I can easily train them, but I just need the best team of 6 out of these 8 (or any others you might have in mind), with the best moveset for as many of them as possible.

Thanks for any help!

~D

EDIT:
I trained my team a little but was wondering if I should change any Pokemon. Check the third post for my ideas.

Last edited:
Years
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 25, 2012
Well you have a great team there. The only suggestion I would give is to take out Noctowl, and put in togetic. The reason why is I personnaly don't like Noctowl, and I feel as if Togekiss, is one of the greatest Flying Pokemon. The reason why is Togekiss cant take many, hits.

Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2012
Thank you for the help Rubix, I appreciate it. However, I'm not sure about putting in Togetic because Noctowl has far better stats.

Anyway, can you guys help me decide on a team of 6 to use for the Kanto gym leaders?
The five I have right now are:
Typhlosion - lv. 47
Ampharos - lv. 47
Mamoswine - lv. 47
Gyarados - lv. 47
Noctowl - lv. 47

I'm debating taking out Noctowl and training an Abra (eventually Kadabra/Alakazaam) for my Psychic type, and getting either a Pidgeotto or Dragonite for my Flying type. Any suggestions?

~D

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
Togekiss (togetic's evo) has much superior stats as compared to Noctowl. (noctowl is just one of those early route birds that gets weak in the lategame) Also, Serene Grace +thunder wave+ flinching move like Air slash = take down any pokemon.

Years
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 25, 2012
Thank you for the help Rubix, I appreciate it. However, I'm not sure about putting in Togetic because Noctowl has far better stats.

Anyway, can you guys help me decide on a team of 6 to use for the Kanto gym leaders?
The five I have right now are:
Typhlosion - lv. 47
Ampharos - lv. 47
Mamoswine - lv. 47
Gyarados - lv. 47
Noctowl - lv. 47

I'm debating taking out Noctowl and training an Abra (eventually Kadabra/Alakazaam) for my Psychic type, and getting either a Pidgeotto or Dragonite for my Flying type. Any suggestions?

~D

Umm, Take out Noctowl, use Togekiss for flying type, then for your physic, use Bronzor, which becomes Bronzong. I believe Alakazaam has the best stats, but Bronzong is a very solid physic pokemon, and being a steel pokemon gives it another advantage. Yes it may give it more weaknesses, but its abilities of Levitate or HeatProof is another huge advantage, either stopping Ground moves or lowering the damage from fire moves.

Togekiss (togetic's evo) has much superior stats as compared to Noctowl. (noctowl is just one of those early route birds that gets weak in the lategame) Also, Serene Grace +thunder wave+ flinching move like Air slash = take down any pokemon.

Yep, Togekiss is the pokemon I used for the E4 and it helped me out literally for the entire E4

Last edited:

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Noctowl can be useful though. Hypnosis and Dream Eater is a very potent combo.

Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2012
Well I finally got around to evolving Togetic to Togekiss and would agree that it has far better stats. However, the moveset for my Togekiss is questionable.
I also caught a Bronzor so I guess my team is pretty much complete in terms of the Pokemon itself, and now I just have to train the two.
So, with this being my first Gen IV game, what moves should I give both Togekiss, and eventually Bronzong?

Thanks for the help guys!

~D

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
togekiss-
air slash
aura sphere (this and air slash u need move tutor)
thunderwave
some special move (eg.psychic, grass knot)

just remember togekiss is strong in special Att. so shld teach it special moves (not physical ones like fly etc.)

bronzong-
psychic
earthquake
gyroball
trickroom/payback

Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2012
Here's my moveset for the two so far:

Togekiss - lv. 46
Aura Sphere
Sky Attack
Air Slash
Psychic

Bronzor - lv. 38
Gyroball
Iron Defense
Extrasensory
Confuse Ray

Obviously these are still in the making, but am I on the right track?

And @manutdrule, is it not viable for Togekiss to have moves like Sky Attack?

Thanks for the help guys!

~D

Back