• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokémon: Phoenix Rising

Status
Not open for further replies.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
POKEMON LIST A:
Pokemon that evolve by level-up with three evolutionary stages. (Not including starters from other games)
Spoiler:

POKEMON LIST B
Pokemon that evolve by trade with three evolutionary stages. (Assume that trades must be altered to level-up)
Spoiler:

ALL PERFECT TYPE TRIANGLE THEORIES:
Spoiler:

ALL IMPERFECT TYPE TRIANGLES THEORIES:
Spoiler:

All Type Triangles need pokemon from both list A and B. Pokemon that evolve via trade for their second evolution have to have their evolution methods changed because you cannot trade pokemon in Fangames, so this doesn't seem to matter if pokemon from list B are included.
ALL PERFECT TRIANGLE STARTERS EXAMPLES:
Spoiler:

ALL IMPERFECT TRIANGLE STARTER EXAMPLES:

Spoiler:

So here are the 65 different starter combinations (excluding the monotypes) that are alternative to the other starters in the games, have three evolutionary stages, and balanced types. I felt the urge to help because I started this whole starter discussion. I hope this helps alot!

Last edited:

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
058.png
>
548.png
>
120.png

To be honest, I don't think you should be asking us what starters to go for anyway. In the end, we aren't the ones creating the game, so out of respect I think it should be entirely up to the team to decide which starters to go for. They're the ones who know the feel of the game best and also how they want it to turn out. There is a thin line between asking the community for an opinion and having the community demand. Just remember to choose something you're happy with if you go this way ;)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Most likely going with this. After I balance the stats a little. Basically I want to incorporate more history, mystery and importance on evolution stones. I find them to be pretty interesting to begin with, so I think this starter trio would be a really nice addition. I think that no matter what trio I choose, unless I pick original triangles, it's not going to be fly with everyone. So I like these, there's a nice balance in popularity and variety.

What do you guys think?
Also thanks to those who wrote out long posts and suggestions, they were really helpful.

Update December 13th 2011

Well first off, I'd like to welcome tImE to the team as one of our Pixel Artists. I'm very happy to see him on our team.

Next, a little note on progress on the demo. We're about 80% there. Now, in saying that, 20% is still quite a bit to do. However, I'm hoping it will not be too long as all the maps have been finished, all of which have custom tiles, designs and themes. This was a big part of the game and why it took quite a bit of time. The work that will take the most time is the introduction, as I have something special planned for that, a few menus which need to be scripted, and the Day & Night system, in which is going to be a lot of work for me.

At any rate, I have a screenshot for you, I could have more, however I do not want to spoil too much for the demo. I hope to present some new screens from menus and the battle system soon, once I update them again.

Romanti Village
i__ma_hidin___by_gavzxhayley-d4it0fm.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Most likely going with this. After I balance the stats a little. Basically I want to incorporate more history, mystery and importance on evolution stones. I find them to be pretty interesting to begin with, so I think this starter trio would be a really nice addition. I think that no matter what trio I choose, unless I pick original triangles, it's not going to be fly with everyone. So I like these, there's a nice balance in popularity and variety.

What do you guys think?
Also thanks to those who wrote out long posts and suggestions, they were really helpful.

Update December 13th 2011

Well first off, I'd like to welcome tImE to the team as one of our Pixel Artists. I'm very happy to see him on our team.

Next, a little note on progress on the demo. We're about 80% there. Now, in saying that, 20% is still quite a bit to do. However, I'm hoping it will not be too long as all the maps have been finished, all of which have custom tiles, designs and themes. This was a big part of the game and why it took quite a bit of time. The work that will take the most time is the introduction, as I have something special planned for that, a few menus which need to be scripted, and the Day & Night system, in which is going to be a lot of work for me.

At any rate, I have a screenshot for you, I could have more, however I do not want to spoil too much for the demo. I hope to present some new screens from menus and the battle system soon, once I update them again.

Romanti Village
i__ma_hidin___by_gavzxhayley-d4it0fm.png

On the starters, that combination is certainly alright Staryu can destroy ALL of them! I say go with what floats your boat at this point.

On the screenshot, I personally find the clamshell-shaped rails of the bridge to be a little odd-looking. It just looks like there isn't anything to support each shape, and what's the theme you are going for that location?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
I'm pretty happy with them actually. I mean, how can you know there's no support if you can't see behind them? Heh.

Based on the romantic period of music, and in conjunction, times when the roman empire was at large.

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
The only thing I don't like about the starter trio is that two of them are from the same region, but I really couldn't find a suitable alternative.

I see where Ratty is coming from, it seems as though the only support is the bar straight down the middle of each clam, it only really catches on when you look on the two ends of the bridge. But I don't see it as that much of a deal, and if anything, it adds to the architecture of that time.

I look forward to seeing the next update :)

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
The only thing I don't like about the starter trio is that two of them are from the same region, but I really couldn't find a suitable alternative.

I see where Ratty is coming from, it seems as though the only support is the bar straight down the middle of each clam, it only really catches on when you look on the two ends of the bridge. But I don't see it as that much of a deal, and if anything, it adds to the architecture of that time.

I look forward to seeing the next update :)

again i have to mention numel, cacnea and wailmer.. all from the same region all with similar stats... ugh nvm.. .good job i guess i like the clam bridge...

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
Wow! I wish I new something about coding! You guys are doing a really amazing job by the look of it! Just amazing, from what I've seen I would chose this over an actual [licensed] Pokémon game!

I'm hopping the desiners of the actualy games (HG,SS,B,W) find some insperation from this LOL Good luck on the rest of it!

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen May 2, 2015
I think those starters are great as far as balanced personalities go. growlithe/arcanine is kinda the brawny type of pokemon, Petilil and Lilligant are the beauty type of pokemon, and then starmie is the brainy -type pokemon. Also, these are popular pokemon.

The bridge is great as well. The clam-shell rails add a nice aesthetic.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I'm pretty happy with them actually. I mean, how can you know there's no support if you can't see behind them? Heh.

If you want to go with that point, then why are both of the row of support bars facing down? Surely the bottom row would be flipped inwards on the bridge, or the top row flipped outwards. Right? Heh.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Well in relation to the bridge, it's a 2D game, I can hardly provide enough angles and detail to show how it's supported. If I did that, the game would need to have much bigger tiles, and by the same token if you're going to make the argument that the support of the bridge can't be seen, you may as well question how a house can stand, or why the tops of mountains and hills are always completely flat. It's a 2D Pokemon game, there's liberties I'm obligated to take if I want to make or have ambitious structures. If I was making a 3D game, with a higher resolution, then yes I would have to accommodate for the fact that I would need to show the architectural support that structures might have. But again, 2D Pokemon game with a 256x192px resolution, use your imagination, it's that kind of game after all.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Yeah there will be.

Update December 19th 2011

I have some updating to do in the main thread. At any rate today, I have a bigger than usual update for you guys. Some screens, some art, and I'm releasing the official Hawthorne Pok
édex. Prepare!

Hawthorne Pokédex

Enjoy guys, and offer your comments.

Next up, I introduce, the redesigned...

Profsignomi.png

And some screenshots for you guys. Note that the .gif is not perfect, so the colours are not as good and there is some loose pixels. Also the menu.
Oh, the .gif may take a lot of time to load. Just so you know!

Sylvie%20battle.gif
Concept.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Not a bad redesign. While she does look more like a scientist, I kind of liked the fact that the old signomi looked very athletic and cool-looking.

So you are going to have the battlers animated? My only problem with it is that after seeing games like Pokemon Lightning Yellow, the frames stop at a weird point during action sequences and it ends up looking ugly. I'm personally fine with them motionless, but go with whatever floats your boat.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Well, one thing I dislike, is when people compare my game to others'. I don't have that issue with my battlers. They have the full animation which works in loop.

Athletic & cool looking doesn't exactly suit the kind of professor she is in this game however.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Well, one thing I dislike, is when people compare my game to others'. I don't have that issue with my battlers. They have the full animation which works in loop.
My apologies for coming off as rude, then. I tend to get skeptic about features like these. Overall, this project is really coming along nicely.

Athletic & cool looking doesn't exactly suit the kind of professor she is in this game however.
Okay. As long as the design fits the character, than its alright.

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
I'm reaalllyy liking the simplicity in the menu, and how you added that darkening to the game while in the menu, it really makes it look professional. I just don't know about that solid white for the menu background, but that comes up to you in the end. The battle looks pretty cool as well, especially how the players health bar bounces as well. Are you going to be adding more pokecommunity faces to the game? Amachi maybe

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
I'm reaalllyy liking the simplicity in the menu, and how you added that darkening to the game while in the menu, it really makes it look professional. I just don't know about that solid white for the menu background, but that comes up to you in the end. The battle looks pretty cool as well, especially how the players health bar bounces as well. Are you going to be adding more pokecommunity faces to the game? Amachi maybe
lol dude, who are you? I'm seriously very confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back