• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen [Spoiler]New Gyms? Gym Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
We've heard that B2W2 has a "Brand New Story" that will follow for the games. While I've seen massive amount of Speculation to Gameplay, Kyurem, and things to add such as Move Tutors, I haven't seen anyone mentioning new or Changed Gyms.

Gym change talk was pretty big when we thought the new game was Gray, but now that we know it isn't, lets see what kinda Gyms we get.

Gyms can change, Anime, Manga, and the Video Games have shown this. With this being something new to all of the Pokemon History, we can't say that they won't change the Gyms up.

Personally I want to see a Dark Gym. I think its the only Type that has yet to have a Gym, and it makes me yearn for one horribly.

Assuming we are still in Unova, what you think we'd get this time around?

Years
I guess its possible for new gyms/gym leaders since its ment to a be a whole new story. The only gym change that I personally think will happen is that Iris will be the Gym leader for the 8th gym in both versions. Hopefully we can have Gym rebattles this time though.
On a related note I think we may have a new champion in this game. Could be Cheren, Drayden, Bianca or even Hilda or Herbet if we have new charactors.

Cello

Tonight!
Years
Personally I feel like it's the only option they have. These are sequels, and if we're playing as the same trainers we've already beaten the Unova gym leaders.
If anything we either get new MCs to take on the Unova gym leaders or travel to a different section of Unova/region with a different line up of Gyms as the old MC.

There's always the possibility of there being a lack of Gyms in these games, though. Gamefreak is being very unpredictable.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
There's always the possibility of there being a lack of Gyms in these games, though. Gamefreak is being very unpredictable.
That just seems so unlikely. D;

Honestly the "sequels" could just take place only a few years later or maybe even just months, who knows what GameFreak has in plan. So Gym Leaders could be the same, but maybe they would advance the design of their gym so it's more challenging to get through and more enjoyable to get past. At least that's what I think would be more likely to happen, but it would be kind of cool if we got new Gym Leaders. Something new, that's for sure.

MarioManH

top kek
Years
They may pull something off like they did in Emerald, Adler may just be a person that tends to help out (Like Steven) and you fight him after your beat the E4, and probably Drayden takes the spot as Champion and Iris remains.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
tbh they might end up swapping the Elite Four and the actual gyms, and have ice/fire/electric/dragon in elite four, and have fighting/dark/psychic/ghost in the actual cities.

Ghost would be located in Icirrus (dragons/legendaries, kind of spooky @ Dragonspiral Tower), Dark would be located in Opelucid (I could see legit dark themes there), Psychic would be located in Nimbasa (I consider Nimbasa as "fun", while ghosts aka what Kanto taught us, are "fun") and the first gym would just be fighting, so that you can't use the wild Pokemon - aka weak to fighting. And... water wouldn't have a gym, as well as grass. :x

blue

gucci
Years
I hope there are different gym types, if it's a new adventure then surely there will be a couple of substitutes.

Joshawott

Banned
Years
Personally I feel like it's the only option they have. These are sequels, and if we're playing as the same trainers we've already beaten the Unova gym leaders.
If anything we either get new MCs to take on the Unova gym leaders or travel to a different section of Unova/region with a different line up of Gyms as the old MC.

My thoughts exactly. A teenage boy/girl travelling to a whole new region doesn't seem that likely, so I think it will be a new section of Unova.

Years
You all are going to think this is unlikely, but I personally think gyms will be a post-game challenge. Before the credits, we will instead fight 8 bosses from Team Plasma or whomever the antagonistic organization is. It will be just like the gyms, except they won't specifically be located in a building in every town called "Gym". This would allow for more focus on the story. It would also keep the player from retreading his/her steps from the first game, providing a unique experience (since this is a new story, after all).

This would also mean we will be traversing the region in a different order than we did in the first game.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
^ The eight bosses could be
1st Shadow Triad
And the other seven will be in order in which they appeared in BW (except for Ghetsis who they should save for the end)
Taking the place of the eighth could be the Goddesses
And Ghetsis would've made his own dark version of the E4 to protect him (possibly the typings Forever describes; Fire,Electric,Ice, and Dragon)

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
They may pull something off like they did in Emerald, Adler may just be a person that tends to help out (Like Steven) and you fight him after your beat the E4, and probably Drayden takes the spot as Champion and Iris remains.

This. I really think Alder will go away and rot his days (I hope so) in some cave, maybe in the Challenger's cave, and either Grimsley or Marshall replaces Alder, and Drayden moves up to become an E4.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
This. I really think Alder will go away and rot his days (I hope so) in some cave, maybe in the Challenger's cave, and either Grimsley or Marshall replaces Alder, and Drayden moves up to become an E4.
I see Marshall being more likely simply do to being Alder's student in the manga and the games. Also if they were to incomporate more on the Muskeeters in these games, he could explain their legend more in depth to us.
I can also see Cheren as part of the E4 or maybe even taking over in Opelucid city for Drayden in Black 2.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Just for the above posts, we now have an Elite Four as well as this gym thread. They can work fine on their own seperately, so just post anything Alder-related/E4 related there, since this thread is only really about the gym "types" (and secondarily about new leaders), while in the other thread you're free to mention if you think a gym leader will become an Elite Four member. :3

But yeah if it turns out that these two can't work that well on their own, we'll end up merging them, but we'll see how they go for now!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Depends on how long after B/W the sequels take place. In the case of R/B vs. G/S (3 years IIRC), two gyms were different as one former leader got promoted and the other went into hiding. The other six remained the same.

I'd expect some leaders to remain the same (unless it's something ridiculous like 75 years into the future lol) while others may have moved up or moved on. I don't think many gyms would change their specialization... maybe two or three at most. Mistralton, Icirrus, and Opelucid in particular have gym themes and decor that is pretty specific to their type specialization, and it wouldn't make sense to have cannons send you flying through the air and then have you face,, say, a Steel-type leader, or to have you navigate ice and pit you against Rock-types.

14Henderson7

Poke'Maniac
Years
My opinion on what the gyms and elite four types should be:

Gyms:
1) Bug (Tired of seeing past Rock types as the first in almost every Gen)
2) Water
3) Fire
4) Electric
5) Poison
6) Rock
7) Dark
8) Psychic

Elite Four:
1) Fighting
2) Ice
3) Dragon
4) Steel

In my opinion, they should do what they did in the old games. But instead of being your rival who won, have it a balanced team. Something challenging.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
HMMM with the seperate water gym, what happens to Striaton & what about fire/grass? VERY INTERESTING. Perhaps the fire gym could be last to unfreeze Unova?

Years
Not having the Striaton three-way gym (because I can't see that happening with a separate water gym) frees those characters to have some other role in the story, if they reappear that is. I don't think it means there will necessarily be a fire or grass gym, but probably at least one of them.

blue

gucci
Years
2 new gyms, what happened to those that were replaced, if the trio were originally the first gym and now it's the poison type, what happened to them? Shadow Traid!?

Unlikely but there could be 10 gyms, after all.. these games are different.

Last edited:
Years
Since Striaton is under the ice in the map maybe it's going to be a post-game location and not have a gym anymore.

By the way, I like the ideas behind the new gyms, at least from what it seems like they're going to be. A music hall/music house for the poison gym leader and some kind of wood docks for the water gym leader, although those could just be parts of the town.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
I assume that since one of the new gyms is Water, the Striaton Water/Fire/Grass gym will no longer be there. Perhaps the triplets will be able to be battled, but not as leaders? Perhaps the theory regarding them and the Shadow Triad is true after all?

As for what other gym will be replaced... could be any of them really. I think it's been suggested that the Poison gym is an early one, but that doesn't necessarily correlate to which gym is replaced - the order could be changed.

Do we think there will be any more new gyms, or just those two? (God please give us a Dark-type gym please please please).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back