• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Pokémon Trainer Red!

Years
In Heart Gold and Soul Silver, you can traverse up Mt. Silver after you have all eight Kanto Gym Badges. At the very top of the mountain, where it's hailing and filled with snow, awaits none other than Red, the protagonist from the Kanto games. Silent but deadly, his team comes in with all his Pokémon being at least a whopping Level 80! And he uses the three Kanto starters and other bulky team members.

What did you think of Red? Did you enjoy battling him? Was he difficult for you? Why? Discuss.

dragon__tamer

the elder of dragon's den
Years
hi
i think battle with red was one of the best parts of the game
it a very little hard, but i enjoyed too much
i think its pikachu is very very easy to hit and its snorlax was the hardest pokemon
because it has high defense and we can kill it with close combat.

Years
I actually did this recently so I have a clear memory of it lol :) I thought Red's inclusion was fantastic, especially as the Johto protagonist has just swept Red's region it makes sense that the two have a face-off :) I'm also glad that they kept him as a silent protagonist :)

I was a teensy bit underlevelled the first time I faced him so I found it difficult, raised my Pokémon a couple levels each and faced him again and lost out to his Blastoise. The third time was third time lucky, I was able to use the same method I had the second time around except more effectively lol :)

Pikachu was a breeze, I had a speedy Nidoking with Quick Claw so I used an effective combination of Flatter and Earthpower which did the trick :) Lapras was pretty tough, it took out a lot of my team with Blizzard. Snorlax wasn't too bad, I had a lot of hard-hitting moves so it went down easier than the Lapras. Charizard was the easiest for me along with Venusaur. I faced Venusaur with my Venomoth and the Venusaur wasn't able to do a lot of damage to it, so I was able to use that time to restore the rest of my pokés for facing Blastoise haha :) Blastoise again proved to be the hardest for me to take down, needing a combination of poison, confusion, Petal Dance and more lol :)

Beating him was such a satisfying feeling, it was almost like Red was the main rival of the game the feeling was that strong lol :) I'm glad the game rewarded you for it as well with the Kanto/Hoenn starters, it was a big achievement and deserved recognition :)

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
Years
[color=ff0ff]I have fight him for 14 times.. the first time i fight him was really hard because my pokemon still low level..i really enjoy fighting and the best part is after you defeat him..his pokemon gaining level and that makes it more challenging..so yea, i'm really happy that he's exist ...[/color]

Haggerella

Captain Butts
Years
Red was, and is, the best part of the game. But my god he is tough. I remember battling him the first time a few years ago and being almost 30 levels lower than his team for some of mine, and I didn't even have 6 pokemon for battling, and it took like an hour swapping back and forth, healing, etc, but I finally did it.

It was probably the most glorious moment of my gaming-life to date~

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
Red was always a piece of cake for me and in my opinion a serious joke. All of my Pokemon were either in their high 70's or low 80's. From what I remember, I swept his team by using Donphan, Ampharos and Feraligatr.

:t354:TG

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
The only thing that really ever gives me trouble with Red is Snorlax and Venusaur because I don't usually run fighting types so Snorlax just kinda sits there and makes me run out of moves and then I also don't use strategy in game and just rely on brute strength and weaknesses so his Venusaur outspeeds my pokemon and does status and then wrecks me. But other than that he is a joke, though a better joke than the gym leaders and elite 4.

Years
I took a team of level 62s with me, which were Typhlosion, Bellossom, Ampharos, Fearow, Nidoking, and Gyarados, and won. Without using revives either. The only thing that survived was my Typhlosion.

Kelton2

Yes, That One
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 19, 2015
Honestly I (who is not a competitive battler, by the way) don't find any of the AI battles in Pokemon hard, including Red. High levels, good movesets- he's just an NPC. Give me those Pokemon and I could kick some butt.

La Espada

Captain Ressentiment
Years
It was only hard for me in the original games back when I had no idea what I was doing. By the time these games had came along, I had already gotten into competitive battling so even with my Pokemon at a lower level, Red was still a bit of a pushover.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I loved battling Red, because he really seemed like a nice ending challenge to the game. There was so much to HGSS already, and it was really great to see it all kind of tie up with the former Champion challenging you to a battle atop a secluded mountain. The music and scenery were awesome as well.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
Kinda disappointing I beat him easily and he said nothing I wish he just would have said something inspiring or really ANYTHING!

Back