• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
Hi gang, if you don't mind, I've got a topic for you all~

When creating your characters from a SU, what inspires you to make them? How do these characters usually turn out?

Well, what I meant by "inspiration", do you say...

make your characters from in real life people?
an anime?
or from a book?
or maybe a character that you can imagine that one day calls you a degenerate and you say: A degenerate, am I!? Well, you are a festisio!! See? I CAN MAKE UP WORDS TOO, SISTER!
or maybe just from your general imagination?

/well those are examples~

And from that inspiration that you (might) have, how do the characters you make usually act? eg. The characters that I make are usually eccentric, with a bit of energeticness, and sometimes general snobbishness/egotistical maniac...ness~

Eh, if my wording is a little...weird, please say so and I'll clearify some more. :3

Er... I think I just make them from my general imagination, but I do pull inspiration from some places... for example, my uber awesomesauce character, Kris, was originally based on me, but with differences, obviously.
For a lot of my characters, there's some part of my personality/another's personality that I put in them. Most of my characters have some sort of loner-ish feel to them. Although, I try to make them different... but when I do I don't really RP as them, or sometimes I do but not very well. :x
Also, a lot of times I make my character up on the spot, at least when I'm using a new character/have to edit them to fit the RP.
Now that I'm thinking about it, something may have inspired me to make a new, rather different, character~! ;D Yay...! Lulz.

Harebrained

Switch to decaf? Never!
Years
When creating your characters from a SU, what inspires you to make them? How do these characters usually turn out?

I guess they're from my imagination? I don't model them after people or existing characters, though interesting things about people I've met might wind up being the inspiration for parts of them. The majority comes from scratch, though, and I piece them together meticulously, making sure they have everything from flaws to motivations to important life events. If at all possible, I'll have obstacles for them to overcome, a general direction for their development, and traits that affect their role in the roleplay right off the bat.

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
Any Pokemon journey RPs where I don't have to battle other rpers in the league? Or any where everyone can win the league?

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
LOVE HOMESTUCK I am so far behind though lol
I had a cool idea for a signup. Like... having to write an actual application. And by hand would be super awesome! Like, for an academy RP would be ideal. Because people have to apply to an academy anyways, as well that handwriting can tell a lot about a person!

hang on, i'll quickly make one and give you an example; (gonna use my character oakley as an example). ok i attached it. like that but... way better. it would be fun! like writing a real one!

Just read that attachment... you're handwriting is all scribbles(although I can read it, because I'm that awesomesauce!).
Urf... I probably have some new RP ideas... but I'm not even going to bother to post them, lol. We already know I'm a horrible GM ;P
...*Reading books*... naw, not gonna post any ideas inspired by those either :P
Okay... I really have nothing else to post -.-' SO IMA TYPE UP ANIMALS!
Spoiler:

EDIT: NEW PAGE. See, I am awesomesauce! :P

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
haha, medabots, ohhhh medabots. Yes, I remember Medabots. It was a great show, if my memory serves correctly, it might just be one of those shows that you used to love but don't want to watch it again because it might be awful, and ruin the nostalgia.

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2012
After 2 weeks of house hunting and 6 weeks of not having internet, I'm finally settled. Huzzah.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I guess a Mortal Kombat RP would be kinda kewl; I'd love to see how that goes. :3
I dunno; I'd picture it as sort of like a tournament-battle-to-the-death sorta thing~ /I haven't played it in a long while, so IDK exactly~

Let's se~~~~~~~e...
If you guys don't mind another topic, (and I know I say that a lot; sorry.)

What do you think has to be the most important trait for a roleplayer? ~

Whether it could be imagination, experience, consistency, or otherwise~

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
The most important trait for a roleplayer is experience. I could list a number of other things but experience gives you them all anyway. One of the most important things experience will teach you is how to deal with others. Part of that is learning how to deal with troublemakers and part of that is learning that RP is not a competition. Another important thing experience will teach you is that RP is not a book, and it's not fan-fiction. Rules do not always apply across them as a result. (For instance. Having a relationship with a canon is basically a deadly sin in fan fiction. In RP you'll find a few people complaining about it pretentiously at worst.) Lastly, experience will teach you that there's nothing new under the sun and allow you to overcome our culture's illogical obsession with original content and instead focus on personal creativeness.

Years
  • Age 30
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
After 2 weeks of house hunting and 6 weeks of not having internet, I'm finally settled. Huzzah.
HEY! Welcome back! I was wondering where you got off to!

I guess a Mortal Kombat RP would be kinda kewl; I'd love to see how that goes. :3
I dunno; I'd picture it as sort of like a tournament-battle-to-the-death sorta thing~ /I haven't played it in a long while, so IDK exactly~

Let's se~~~~~~~e...

Initiative! You gotta know when it's appropriate to pull out the right cards! You might have a poor writing style, but people will still cope as long as you play along right. And you may have a fantastic writing style, but if you play it overpowered or godmod or whatnot, people are gonna hate what you do. It's good to know when you can post appropriately, when you should lay back, when you should have your character tag along, when you should let them do their own thing etc etc. So, yeah, initiative is my answer, I think.

TiTaN.JuStIn

Fighting the army of Stress...
Years

Let's se~~~~~~~e...

I think obedience and experience are the most important thing. What I mean is you break the rules, you just ruined the show. And that includes Godmodding, Bunnying, Inactiveness and other various stuff. Also, experience can show you what is wrong and what is right. Also, the more you roleplay, the better your RP skills improve.

BTW, forgive my language skills.

Silver Rogue

RolePlayer
Years

Let's se~~~~~~~e...

I would say creativity. I know personally that I have been having some trouble with the RP that I am GMing because I cant think of any plot ideas. So whether you are a GM or just a player, I think that creativity is a huge part of it, as well as getting that creativity into your posts and being portrayed well.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023

Hmm... I gotta say, creativity, and experience. Experience makes sure you don't screw up, and helps RPing become fun for you, and others~

While creativity, it's just a necessity in RPing, lol. If you can't be creative, you might as well play a video game or make a fanfic, IMHO.

Nideous

The world refused to change...
Years
What's the most important trait of an RPer? Hm... That's a tough one... I say creativity. The rest of it can be gained through time and practice, but if you aren't creative then you won't be able to learn that.

And in other news, I've been playing Megaman X a lot recently. So, I had a thought. What would people say to a Megaman X RP? I wouldn't be able to run it, of course, but I wouldn't mind playing in one. How about the rest of you?

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022

Easy, it's how active they are. Simple. Final. Done. Everything else comes second. You can be the most creative person in the world, but if you only post once a month, is that creativity really shown enough? People will lose interest in an RP and the RP will die before an RP takes off. So, activeness by far. Creativity is second.

Eeveemaster9

Years of Lies
Years
Alright. I agree with Supervegeta x,DD

Activeness>Creativity

Creativity is needed, definitely. If everyone used the same thing over and over, it would get boring. Creativity gives birth to more and more ideas which may have never been produced before. Our minds are always looking for something new. Thus, it's good to appeal to something our minds recognizes as 'fascinating' and 'unique'.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Yeah, I was leaning more towards consistency myself.
because without activeness, we wouldn't be able to gain experience! Or rather -- activity is th ebest way to gain experience imho.

O~~~kay, so, continuing the discussion about which trait is the best, I sort of wanted to ask you all, and of course you're free to answer...or not:

What would you like to improve on?

Whether it could be...GMing skills, plot writing, and so on~

And the main reason I wanted to ask that is because..you know; say one person needs to improve in their creativity, and someone else needed to improve in their consistency -- they could help each other out. ^^ So~~~ I just figured we could give each other advice sometime. :B

perfectmonster

Eggs Are Awesome!
Years
What would you like to improve on?

I reckon it would be great to activness! So many roleplays with potential just die off :( Oh, and would people be willing to participate in a Zombie RP? I haven't seen one of those around...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back