• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y General Chat and Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
That fox is not gonna be Fire/Fighting, period. Froakie was the one shown doing a physical move for goodness sakes.
Fennekin is not physical at all, clearly. It was pretty obvious to me that he used a Psychic move in the trailer.

In any case... Light and Shadow make sense as types, but Sound and Toxic do not, to me. So I'm gonna call fake on it.

It wasn't obvious what Fennekin used in the trailer. Some thought it was a psychic attack, some thought it was a ghost attack, and recently some said it was growl cause the animation surrounding Kirlia looked like a stat down animation to the one who mentioned it.

Other than that, Fennekin can be physical or special bases regardless of what it evolves into. Fire/Fighting we could get a Special Attack Fennekin. Fire/Psychic we can get a Physical Fennekin.

As for "excitement", that's an even lamer excuse than tradition. We know its going to evolve. We know it remains Fire typed when it evolves. Gaining a secondary type adds a whole bunch of weaknesses to limit your use of Fennekin even more. Sometimes it offsets by adding some good perks.

Fire/Psychic is weak to 5 types. Ground, Rock, Ghost, Dark, and Water
It resists 6 types: Fighting, Steel, Fire, Grass, Psychic, and Ice.

Fire/Fighting is weak to 4 types. Flying, Ground, Water, and Psychic.
It also resists 6 types: Bug, Steel, Fire, Grass, Ice, and Dark.

We're asking for Fennekin to be ruined for battle by wanting it to be psychic. Competitively its a lot weaker than Blazekin, Infernape, and Emboar. They share 2 Weaknesses between them. Psychic adds Stealth Rock weakness, and opens it to Ghost and Dark Weakness, One more common than the other. Both Psychic and Flying aren't as common, but still usually represented in most teams.

Resistance wise; Steel, Fire, Grass, and Ice are the only commons. Fire/Fighting resists Bug and Dark while Fire/Psychic resists Fighting and Psychic. If Fennekin were Special based with low to average defense as most psychics have, then resistance to Fighting wouldn't mean much.

Fire/Psychic looks good on paper, but it is not better than what we already have. Nor does it take away from the excitement of evolving. If that is the only reason you won't evolve it, then you shouldn't pick it as your starter. There are many other benefits to evolving the Pokemon not to mention the change in appearance is really the only excitement involved with evolving Pokemon.

EDIT:After looking over the Starter's types as a whole, the one with the greatest benefit is Chespin definately. Being Grass/Rock gives it a pretty good advantage over both Froakie and Fennekin. While being part rock loses its resistance to water, it also loses its weakness to Fire. Being a Rock type it is also good against Froakie's supposed Flying type and Fennekin's Fire type. So Chespin would be the definite best of the region.

Froakie being Water/Flying gives it only two weaknesses. A crippling x4 to electric, but there are things that can be done to ease that a bit, and a x2 to rock. It loses Grass Weakness but stays weak to Chespin while retaining its advantage over Fennekin.

Fennekin, unless made into Fighting type will lose to both Froakie and Chespin in match up. While as a Fighting type it can retain advantage over Chespin, but has a double disadvantage under Froakie. If Fennekin is Fire/Psychic it loses to Chespin's Rock and Froakie's water and has no advantage against either one based on typing alone. Either way, if Chespin is rock, Fennekin will suck compared to the other two. So if Froakie and Chespin get their proclaimed types, Fennekin is definitely the Snivy of this generation.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Has anyone heard about this rumor yet? It's yet again from 4chan:

Some of these rumors better be fake.

please please please please be fake. shadow pokemon are okay, but the toxic type seems completely useless/pointless given that there's a poison type already. :(

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
Years
As for "excitement", that's an even lamer excuse than tradition. We know its going to evolve. We know it remains Fire typed when it evolves. Gaining a secondary type adds a whole bunch of weaknesses to limit your use of Fennekin even more. Sometimes it offsets by adding some good perks.

I don't know where you're going with this. I know how "excited" i was when prinplup turned into Water/Steel. Why ? Cause it was new and fresh. I was "excited" because it opened up a whole new Road for it's Moveset. Now, in the case of Pignite, I already knew what to expect. I am not talking about the competitive side of things. Besides. how many starters are there in OU with their In-game Abilities ? Starters have never been about Competitive play, At least not for me.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I don't know where you're going with this. I know how "excited" i was when prinplup turned into Water/Steel. Why ? Cause it was new and fresh. I was "excited" because it opened up a whole new Road for it's Moveset. Now, in the case of Pignite, I already knew what to expect. I am not talking about the competitive side of things. Besides. how many starters are there in OU with their In-game Abilities ? Starters have never been about Competitive play, At least not for me.

So you are saying that just because they have the same type you can expect similar movesets? Then you must have found Wingull incredibly boring cause of Gyarados and Mantine right? Since they all have the same predictable moveset being Water/Flying types. Depsite a decent combination Empoleon is very boring as a starter. Out of all the water Starters, its 4th on my list. All I use are Water Starters.

As for OU starters, Infernape and Venusaur are on current OU tier list. Blaziken is on Uber. So 2 of the Fire/Fighting are top tier. I believe Emboar is NU, but it was ruined stat wise. Emboar outclasses both Infernape and Blazekin in Attack and HP, but falls short with Defense and Speed. He's closer with Special Attack and Special defense, but all three are physical based fighters. Blazekin and Infernape are used more because of their good speed. TM wise, I sorta just skimmed. They have a fairly similar set. From a quick count, Blazekin and Emboar have roughly the same number of TMs they can learn though both are fairly different. Infernape has a little bit more. Like at least 5 more and is somewhat similar to Blazekin's.

Egg Move wise, Blazekin has a large assortment. Infernapes was impressive but didn't shine a candle to Blazekin and Emboar is just sad in all honesty.

Tutor wise, Blazekin and Emboar tie with number, but Blazekin beat it with Quality while Infernape has a different list by a small amount and has a slightly higher number that it learns.

Even though they share type their attack lists are all distinct enough that you can raise them for the same role and have them all using variously different attacks. That hardly qualifies as something to be boring and unexciting.

As I said, if Fennekin is Fire Fighting it may be a Speed focusing Pokemon. It should have fairly low Special Defense, and with the luck we have, it'll be a fairly decent Special attacker rather than a physical one. (opposite for Fire/Psychic...weak defense but a decent physical attacker...just like Flareon).

Really if it is Fire/Psychic it probably won't be any more noticeable than Vulpix/Ninetales. It'll probably be a carbon copy of its basic movepool as well which makes it incredibly boring as a Pokemon.

If they switch up the typings, I hope they do something a little more dynamic with it. I know a few fans are hoping for Fire/Rock or Fire/Ground (something about Egypt...) I'd rather Fire/Electric just cause I haven't seen a normal Pokemon with that typing. Not counting Rotom cause of Form change needed. But there isn't any excitement regarding what types they choose. I'd be more excited about how their stats are and how different their evolutions' move pool is compared to their basic Move Pool.

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
Years
So you are saying that just because they have the same type you can expect similar movesets? Then you must have found Wingull incredibly boring cause of Gyarados and Mantine right? Since they all have the same predictable moveset being Water/Flying types. Depsite a decent combination Empoleon is very boring as a starter. Out of all the water Starters, its 4th on my list. All I use are Water Starters.
My whole post was regarding Starters. I consider them apart from other pokemons and thus should not have repetitive typing.And we have different Opinions regarding Empoleon. It easily sits on Top of my list and alot of it has to do with the Unique typing.

As for OU starters, Infernape and Venusaur are on current OU tier list. Blaziken is on Uber. So 2 of the Fire/Fighting are top tier.

Missed the part where i said "in-game abilities" ? Take away DW and they lie in UU except Infernape. Besides, as i said, This is not about competitive side of things.

Even though they share type their attack lists are all distinct enough that you can raise them for the same role and have them all using variously different attacks. That hardly qualifies as something to be boring and unexciting.

You have a point there. However, repeating the same 'concept' again and again IS Mundane. By 'concept' i mean having a Flame breathing Fighter. All past three Fire starters fall in that category. I find that Boring and Uncreative.

Last edited:

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Do you remember this from the trailer?
196879_557741664259920_1215482847_n.png

Now compare this to the rumored image that recently appeared in /vp/ on 4chan about Fennekin's evolution.
1360484680194.jpg

This image rumor has been spreading around online much like a virus. It's obvious that it's fake, but many people have fallen for this image plenty of times. Even someone that I know actually fell for it too.

Do you know why I think it's false? Just take a look at the image that's from the trailer, where Fennekin is quite possibly using Psychic. That's where I believe that Fennekin's evolutions would be Fire/Psychic, not Fire/Fighting.

And wow, people are really trying hard to fool others on 4chan. That rumor from 4chan about introducing 5 new types... is really false and misleading. C'mon, 5 new types? Seriously?! Shadow and Toxic already have their types, Dark and Poison! If Sound-type was introduced, the only Pokémon that would be likely to get it would be Whismur, Loudred and Exploud. And really? No-type?! Sound-type if it was introduced would've fit the concept perfectly for having no weaknesses, resistances and immunities. And what if Absol became a Dark/Light-type? If Light-type is introduced, the only move that it would learn that would possibly become Light-type would be Flash... but Absol would remain as a Dark-type, even if Light-type was introduced, 'cause Absol doesn't learn any healing moves or anything like that... only just attacking moves and moves that are about sneaky tactics. Remember, looks are deceiving. ;)

And also... classic mode would cause alot of problems if it was put into a Pokémon game, since it would only feature the old types. If new types really do get introduced, a classic mode having just the old types would ruin the concept for battling if someone had classic mode enabled and was battling against someone that has classic mode disabled... it would put the person with classic mode turned on at an unfair advantage and quite possibly might end up causing the whole game to crash.

I'm going to say this again, never trust anything from 4chan, everything that has come from that site has been confirmed false, even back in the days of Black/White. ;)
1. The fact that people are even thinking for a moment that those rumours are true is shocking. Seriously guys, use your common sense :/
2. News never comes from 4chan.
That's exactly what I've been trying to explain. lol

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Missed the part where i said "in-game abilities" ? Take away DW and they lie in UU except Blaziken. Besides, as i said, This is not about competitive side of things.

No, that would be Infernape due to his near game-breaking stats and movepool. He'll still outclass Blaziken.

You have a point there. However, repeating the same 'concept' again and again IS Mundane. By 'concept' i mean having a Flame breathing Fighter. All past three Fire starters fall in that category. I find that Boring and Uncreative.

But it is a necessity because GF doesn't want to repeat the same mistake with Charmander back in Gen 1.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
If that were true, then I would definitely use Chespin as my starter for X, while I'll use Fennekin as my starter for Y.

The only things Chespin would be weak to would be fighting and Ground, and if I'm picturing it's supposed "evolution" correctly, then it would be a mix between Torterra and Carracosta, both of these Pokemon which aren't pushovers in the slightest, really.

Grass/Rock is weak to Fighting, Ice, and Steel, which isn't too shabby, but it also only resist Normal and Electric.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
This, omg.

I'm going to tell you guys this right now, if Fennekin becomes Fire/Psychic, there is absolutely no way that it's going to become OU in any sense of the word. Shadow ball spammers are everywhere(read: Alakazam/insert other faster, more powerful psychic types here), and not only that, that would leave Fennekin completely walled by every single water type that exists. And not only this, but it would be walled by every single Pokemon that remotely resembles something like Blissey. It just wouldn't really be a good matchup at all, nevermind the stealth rock weakness. Plus, let's not mention the disappointing Dark weakness here.

To be fair, I wouldn't judge that it won't be OU yet. People have said that when Volcarona was revealed, it was never going to be OU because it was x4 weak to SR, and Rock moves are everywhere in OU. But, it's stats were quite powerful, and Quiver Dance is just amazing. So despite it's possible ghost weakness, It can still have a very decent moveset and stat structure that might prove overpowering for UU. Plus, Ghost moves aren't that common in OU other than a few pokemon users of course.

...Then again it can still have trouble against Drizzle teams and Sandstorm teams, so that an be something.

But, we'll just have to see. If anything, I'm still betting that it might be part electric somewhere; Fire/Electric miiight be an interesting typing!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'm going to tell you guys this right now, if Fennekin becomes Fire/Psychic, there is absolutely no way that it's going to become OU in any sense of the word. Shadow ball spammers are everywhere(read: Alakazam/insert other faster, more powerful psychic types here), and not only that, that would leave Fennekin completely walled by every single water type that exists. And not only this, but it would be walled by every single Pokemon that remotely resembles something like Blissey. It just wouldn't really be a good matchup at all, nevermind the stealth rock weakness. Plus, let's not mention the disappointing Dark weakness here.

On the plus side it could be interesting for NU at least, assuming that the dark etc mons outspeed it in the other tiers, which'd leave it fitting in perfectly in NU. It definitely needs a strong mon, and fire/psychic will fill something great - replace what Emboar had and keep Sawk in line, as well as having a STAB to destroy Gardevoir/Musharna.

I'd really like it to be NU if it has that typing :x

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
On the plus side it could be interesting for NU at least, assuming that the dark etc mons outspeed it in the other tiers, which'd leave it fitting in perfectly in NU. It definitely needs a strong mon, and fire/psychic will fill something great - replace what Emboar had and keep Sawk in line, as well as having a STAB to destroy Gardevoir/Musharna.

I'd really like it to be NU if it has that typing :x

No powerful Pokemon deserves to be NU. In fact, the majority of those Pokemon don't deserve to be in that tier at all. Not only because it will leave them as targets for newcomers to poke fun for being inferior to the Pokemon in OU, but it will also ruin these Pokemon's dreams to facing Pokemon like Gyarados and Conkeldurr. From what I've learned from Kingdom Hearts RE: Coded, it's that data do indeed have hearts. It's important that Fennekin, along with Chespin and Froakie, should avoid being NU at all cost.

pokemonmasteraaron

The blind Pokémon Master!
Years
What kind of Pokémon, other than Xernias and Yveltal, do you think are going to be version exclusive?
I'm hoping there is some interesting new Pokémon which are version spesific.
I liked the concept of Lunitone and Solrock, sun and moon Pokémon make perfect rivals.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
No powerful Pokemon deserves to be NU. In fact, the majority of those Pokemon don't deserve to be in that tier at all. Not only because it will leave them as targets for newcomers to poke fun for being inferior to the Pokemon in OU, but it will also ruin these Pokemon's dreams to facing Pokemon like Gyarados and Conkeldurr. From what I've learned from Kingdom Hearts RE: Coded, it's that data do indeed have hearts. It's important that Fennekin, along with Chespin and Froakie, should avoid being NU at all cost.
Um... NU mons are actually really good. It's like not being a staff member on a forum - NU mons are the regular users (which are just as good as anyone else, they just lack the power). Then there's supporters, which are RU mons, mods are UU mons, smods are OU mons and admins are Ubers mons. There's nothing wrong with being a regular member in this case. :) But yeah, it wouldn't be bad if they were in NU, it would create variety there~

What kind of Pokémon, other than Xernias and Yveltal, do you think are going to be version exclusive?
I liked the concept of Lunitone and Solrock, sun and moon Pokémon make perfect rivals.

Maybe like a sky/ground theme for the version exclusives could be interesting this generation, imo.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Just because a Pokémon is placed in the NU tier, doesn't mean someone couldn't use it in an OU battle. However, there are certain Pokémon that are strong in their own right, but compared to the majority of Pokémon that fit the OU tier, they just don't stand up well enough to be used as much in that tier. By all means, if someone wants to use Fennekin's final evolution in their OU team, they can, but if it's outclassed by a lot of the older and upcoming new Pokémon, competitive players will be less keen on using it.

I think an Orca and Dolphin Pokémon could make for great version exclusives. Surely, their will be quite a handful of version exclusives other than just the mascots. It's an important marketing tool to persuade people to purchase both versions rather than one or to help promote global trading via Wi-Fi or Wireless Communication.

Speaking of Lunatone and Solrock specifically, I wouldn't mind seeing them each be given a new stage in evolution.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Maybe GF will make another pair of four legends, however they could divide it between the two versions much like how they did so with Groudon and Kyogre in HgSs, and Lati@s for both HgSsB2W2, and Tornadus and Thundurus in BW, in order to make is buy both/increase trade.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Maybe GF will make another pair of four legends, however they could divide it between the two versions much like how they did so with Groudon and Kyogre in HgSs, and Lati@s for both HgSsB2W2, and Tornadus and Thundurus in BW, in order to make is buy both/increase trade.

Since we've seen it happen in more recent Pokémon games, it would be likely for it to happen once again in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y.

Victini

It wasn't obvious what Fennekin used in the trailer. Some thought it was a psychic attack, some thought it was a ghost attack, and recently some said it was growl cause the animation surrounding Kirlia looked like a stat down animation to the one who mentioned it.

Other than that, Fennekin can be physical or special bases regardless of what it evolves into. Fire/Fighting we could get a Special Attack Fennekin. Fire/Psychic we can get a Physical Fennekin.

I remember hearing about the Growl animation. However, the waveyness and purpleish color tends to resemble Psychic pretty well in my opinion. Not to mention, Kirlia staggered upon being 'hit' by the supposed Growl. Why would Kirlia stagger if it was just a stat-down move that is just a cute growling sound? It doesn't make any sense. But arguably Fennekin using Psychic in the trailer would be pretty out on a limb.. but maybe not so impossible either. On that note, not everyone worries over competitive prowess, though. Most of us would rather have something different to use, rather than yet another Fire/Fighting. We have plenty of those if you're that concerned over how well Fennekin's final evolution would perform competitively. ^^;

I dunno about you but I'm really tired of that dual type already, and a lot of other people are as well.

That's not to say I'll 'throw a fit' or something though if Fennekin becomes another Fire/Fighting type... I'm just saying that it's terribly boring and redundant. vwv;

.. notthati'llbepickingfennekinanyways. >w>;

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back