The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.
Feel like talking about Pokémon manga? Check this out! Want to discuss and share Pokémon music and videos? Click here!


Advertise here

Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old August 20th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Leon K. Fox's Avatar
Leon K. Fox
Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bristol, England
Age: 23
Gender:
Send a message via AIM to Leon K. Fox Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Leon K. Fox Send a message via Skype™ to Leon K. Fox

Advertise here
Okay, this may seem like a very odd question to ask, but where I live in the UK...being into Pokemon by the time I got into secondary school wasn't too hot, I got bullied beyond beleif for a whole variety of reasons, but in Year 7 this was one of the main ones, as for some unknown reason, the fact it wasn't common made it so beyond wrong to like it and it was "Old" "Soo last millienium nerd!" "babyish!" etc, and it drove me to the point of insanity (it was why I went out of Pokemon for quite a few years)

I was wondering if others had similar experiences?
Reply With Quote
  #2    
Old August 20th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Rinji's Avatar
Rinji
srsly.
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kanto
Age: 23
Gender:
Nature: Brave
Heh, when I was in 3rd grade and pokemon had just become EXTREMELY popular, I was bullied like crazy for not knowing anything about it Then, a couple of years later, I was an absolute pokemon fanatic, and was bullied just as much for liking it! XD

Children are crazy, crazy things.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3    
Old August 20th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Barboach's Avatar
Barboach
As we know it.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Age: 20
Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Barboach
Eh, I'm still bullied for liking it. So now I try not to tell anyone I like it in my school. :/
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4    
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Leon K. Fox's Avatar
Leon K. Fox
Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bristol, England
Age: 23
Gender:
Send a message via AIM to Leon K. Fox Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Leon K. Fox Send a message via Skype™ to Leon K. Fox
Yeah, I didn't know about the pig dung ignorant way the teen world worked, as in Year 6 everyone went crazy when the first Pokemon Movie came out here, but in Year 7 I...yeah...I learned some horrible but true lessons about humans and acceptance that year...
Reply With Quote
  #5    
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Wish's Avatar
Wish
No spoils for the meek.
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Wish Send a message via Skype™ to Wish
Yeah Unfortunately,

Five years ago EVERYONE of my friends liked it. Then two years later it started getting old. So we started to stop talking about it. Then one year later, my friend teased me for playing it. It was harsh. Right now, I play it secretly. My best friend In Real Life likes as well, so we keep it a secret to ourselves now. We still do Wi-fi battles often. It's too bad everybody has to keep it a secret to everybody. I have to tell him in secret about stuff. I hope someone stands up for us and tell the people who tease us, tells them off.
__________________


Member since: June 2005
Paired with: Netto Azure
Reply With Quote
  #6    
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Leon K. Fox's Avatar
Leon K. Fox
Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bristol, England
Age: 23
Gender:
Send a message via AIM to Leon K. Fox Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Leon K. Fox Send a message via Skype™ to Leon K. Fox
Yeah, we're becoming the Who fans of the 90's in school it would seem...(before DW came back in 2005...yeah...)
Reply With Quote
  #7    
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Rinji's Avatar
Rinji
srsly.
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kanto
Age: 23
Gender:
Nature: Brave
Right now, I hang out with the 'geeks' who like most video games So we all play pokemon..
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #8    
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Anti's Avatar
Anti
I forgive you, Chris Bosh.
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Age: 15
Gender: Male
Nature: Serious
I'm very vocal about my hatred of pop music/culture, etc. I keep pokemon a secret however. Not something I'm proud of, but I really must. I say I play it to make money, and the kids at my school believe that, though they kinda forgot. When they bring it up I use that excuse. Even my siblings are rough, so no one, not even my parents know. Really, it's a sad day when somebady gets mocked for something they like. I really wish kids/teens would just be okay with what people like. It's more childish than pokemon ever will be, even the anime. MAybe they're the real children...
__________________
Gone with the wind. (But still hanging around because why not?)

~wolf: defeated every lead except elf :>
d_a-bread house: what about metagross
~wolf: ok that too
Reply With Quote
  #9    
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Rinji's Avatar
Rinji
srsly.
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kanto
Age: 23
Gender:
Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Pop Culture Warrior 13 View Post
I'm very vocal about my hatred of pop music/culture, etc. I keep pokemon a secret however. Not something I'm proud of, but I really must. I say I play it to make money, and the kids at my school believe that, though they kinda forgot. When they bring it up I use that excuse. Even my siblings are rough, so no one, not even my parents know. Really, it's a sad day when somebady gets mocked for something they like. I really wish kids/teens would just be okay with what people like. It's more childish than pokemon ever will be, even the anime. MAybe they're the real children...
Amen. :/

Everyone seems to be such a hypocrite these days.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #10    
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Manaphy1128's Avatar
Manaphy1128
We're Making Gods
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: *shoots self*
Age: 17
Gender: Female
Nature: Impish
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Manaphy1128 Send a message via Yahoo to Manaphy1128
Sometimes...

It was bad last year when I drew and talked about Pokemon. The weirdest comment was something about marrying Pikachu...I know...

And then when I was in Kindegarden-1st grade, I got bullied sometimes because everyone said Pokemon was for boys and they all called me freak.
__________________

Dress up in your best / So I can be proud of you
Reply With Quote
  #11    
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Katalyst
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Portugal
Age: 20
Gender: Male
I would get bullied if all my classmates knew I like Pokemon. Here in Portugal it isn't popular around the teenagers. So, when they watch me playing it, I tell them that the reason is "so I don't wander around doing nothing", but really it is better than doing nothing XD. Few guys yell at me because they say Pokemon is for kids.
__________________
Sick liaisons raised this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park
Reply With Quote
  #12    
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:40 PM
pokejungle's Avatar
pokejungle
cherяubi яed
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: 川崎市
Age: 24
Nature: Naughty
Send a message via AIM to pokejungle Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to pokejungle Send a message via Yahoo to pokejungle
My sister teases me. I don't think it matters what people are into though~

It's sad that people can't just respect each others' hobbies.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #13    
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Ausaudriel's Avatar
Ausaudriel
Chief Mechanic
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Francisco
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Lots of people do. Surprisingly, I never did. o.o

When I was in 7th grade (in public school), though, I used to play all day between classes and during lunch. Eventually, other people who played as well would start to talk to me about it and we'd play together, and after a while like, most of our grade were pulling out their old RBY/GSC versions and playing too. xD It was fun. I think a lot more people (even older people) like the games a lot, but the anime is so kiddish and awful that it really gives the entire Pokemon franchise a bad name.

For the people who get bullied about it: at least there's PokeCommunity. :3
__________________
x paired with sylphiel x
x I am a magnet for all kinds of deeper wonderment x
x changelog x
Reply With Quote
  #14    
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Rellyms's Avatar
Rellyms
Sigh
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to Rellyms Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rellyms
i've never been teased i mean my older sister ask why do i play it but i really dont care what people say about me its not like my rep in school is gonna go down I learned that many people in my school still play it so im not alone im turning 15 this year and still play infact im getting pokemon revolution 2 weeks from now on my B-day
Reply With Quote
  #15    
Old August 20th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Me2UJus4Free's Avatar
Me2UJus4Free
It's peanut butter jelly time!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: There he at!
Gender:
Nature: Sassy
I've never been teased, but if I do, I'd pick on the person because they like Naruto, which is more or less babyish than Pokemon.
__________________
Me2UJus4Free's PokePet

Madame Pompadour the level 75 Glameow!

Go, Team Glame!
Sprite by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathing Ape
Once you push the truck, it reveals secret information about Mew and the Nintendo Wii and the Xbox 360, all which have been in development since 1972
Reply With Quote
  #16    
Old August 20th, 2007, 06:40 PM
PoisonOwnzYou
//SEETHER\\
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: To your right..keep going..keep going
Age: 19
Gender:
Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to PoisonOwnzYou
Amen to all of you. I totally agree, if people learned that I liked pokemon then they would probably make me an outcast. Even my dad is pretty harsh about it, I almost completely gave up on it because my own dad ragged on me for liking something. Sometimes he can be so childish.
Reply With Quote
  #17    
Old August 20th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Shiraishi's Avatar
Shiraishi
Orz
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North of the South Pole, South of the North Pole
Age: 20
Gender:
Nature: Quiet
I just tell the immature ppl that their opinion means nothing :/
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18    
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:05 AM
Leon K. Fox's Avatar
Leon K. Fox
Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bristol, England
Age: 23
Gender:
Send a message via AIM to Leon K. Fox Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Leon K. Fox Send a message via Skype™ to Leon K. Fox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Pop Culture Warrior 13 View Post
I'm very vocal about my hatred of pop music/culture, etc. I keep pokemon a secret however. Not something I'm proud of, but I really must. I say I play it to make money, and the kids at my school believe that, though they kinda forgot. When they bring it up I use that excuse. Even my siblings are rough, so no one, not even my parents know. Really, it's a sad day when somebady gets mocked for something they like. I really wish kids/teens would just be okay with what people like. It's more childish than pokemon ever will be, even the anime. MAybe they're the real children...

Amen to that, as Rinji said

teenagers tend to be the worst for respecting people's hobbies, it's all about "being normal" (define that please?)

to be honest it would feel so shallow, being into Pokemon just while it's "in" and then just dumping it, same with anything
Reply With Quote
  #19    
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:16 AM
Anti's Avatar
Anti
I forgive you, Chris Bosh.
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Age: 15
Gender: Male
Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Prower View Post
Amen to that, as Rinji said

teenagers tend to be the worst for respecting people's hobbies, it's all about "being normal" (define that please?)

to be honest it would feel so shallow, being into Pokemon just while it's "in" and then just dumping it, same with anything
That's why buying ipods to be cool is a waste, and listening to trashy songs to be cool. Trends change so fast, and teens are unforgiving if you're no "cool." Really annoying, but maybe I'll open up and basically call them the children for being so judgmental. I thought a hooby was something you liked to do, not the cool thing to do. *points at username* now you understand my username a bit more...why be hatin' pokemon? Very difficult (wifi battles, not ingame).
__________________
Gone with the wind. (But still hanging around because why not?)

~wolf: defeated every lead except elf :>
d_a-bread house: what about metagross
~wolf: ok that too
Reply With Quote
  #20    
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:36 AM
Leon K. Fox's Avatar
Leon K. Fox
Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bristol, England
Age: 23
Gender:
Send a message via AIM to Leon K. Fox Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Leon K. Fox Send a message via Skype™ to Leon K. Fox
Quote:
I thought a hooby was something you liked to do, not the cool thing to do. *points at username*
what's a hooby?

But yes, I got so sick of that feeling in secondary school, that I was always doing something wrong in a load of people's eyes because seriously, football and R&B were to say quite popular where I live in the UK

Also, how am I a nerd when some of these guys collect football cards? Oh wait, that can't be nerdy, it's football!

(I mean UK football, or soccer)
Reply With Quote
  #21    
Old August 21st, 2007, 01:02 AM
Random's Avatar
Random
-
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
I've was and has been teased and criticized for liking and playing pokemon too, and you know, i still play it without a care what others think, because i think what comes from the teasing, is people ridicule from what they watched from the anime at the time especially the old episodes. And if anything pops up with Pokemon to people in general, the first thing that will come to peoples minds is "Ash and pikachu" sadly, not just the gaming, theres more to pokemon then meets the eye. Though occasionally i do see people bring their old GBC handhelds in my school to play old RBYGSC games, i say people are just vague and trying to hide themselves from the fact they liked pokemon in the past, so they tease others to move away from that, cause they think its childish, and not within the trend, but in the end they were just trying to conceal their personality and being very insecure about it. So don't let it bother you too much, cause i think the ones that tease you, actually do like it themselves. But the only thing people FEAR is FEAR themselves. So it does happen from time to time.
Reply With Quote
  #22    
Old August 21st, 2007, 01:36 AM
Leon K. Fox's Avatar
Leon K. Fox
Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bristol, England
Age: 23
Gender:
Send a message via AIM to Leon K. Fox Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Leon K. Fox Send a message via Skype™ to Leon K. Fox
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShurikenZ View Post
I've was and has been teased and criticized for liking and playing pokemon too, and you know, i still play it without a care what others think, because i think what comes from the teasing, is people ridicule from what they watched from the anime at the time especially the old episodes. And if anything pops up with Pokemon to people in general, the first thing that will come to peoples minds is "Ash and pikachu" sadly, not just the gaming,
why say that? I loved the older episodes of the anime, just as much as I do the games...

yes it is a kid's show but so? though...I think in some ways I see your point, awesome anime but pig dung ignorant teenagers watch a few seconds and suddenly know everything about Pokemon *sarcasm*
Reply With Quote
  #23    
Old August 21st, 2007, 01:52 AM
Random's Avatar
Random
-
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Prower View Post
why say that? I loved the older episodes of the anime, just as much as I do the games...

yes it is a kid's show but so? though...I think in some ways I see your point, awesome anime but pig dung ignorant teenagers watch a few seconds and suddenly know everything about Pokemon *sarcasm*
Im not saying theres anything wrong with the older episodes, its just the way things are, or at least the way i see things because it just seems thats where everyone picks up on it as the core where they pick on you mentally, but its just like you said arrogant teens/adults watch it and don't know anything about at all, because of what they see, they don't know.
Reply With Quote
  #24    
Old August 21st, 2007, 02:52 AM
-Sonic~Boom-'s Avatar
-Sonic~Boom-
☆彡
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Deep down.
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Yep, I get teased for liking it...
__________________
3DS: 5455-9420-3260
Be sure to send me a Vistor Message with your 3DS code if you add me!
Reply With Quote
  #25    
Old August 21st, 2007, 03:30 AM
QuizMaster's Avatar
QuizMaster
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Gender:
It's tough being at school. When you're an adult you get to choose who you work with. Not so at school.

The hive mind of the playground situation generates a remarkable uniformity of opinion, dress, hobbies, etc. If you don't fit in with the pattern, you will probably be singled out and bullied. There's nothing unique about Pokemon in this regard. You could equally well be interested in some other niche such as science, poetry, chess, dance, or whatever.

The thing to bear in mind is that it is those who dare to be different that make real changes in the world. The bullies will end up as shallow men, contributing nothing and being forgotten.
__________________
Try my Pokemon name game.

Last edited by QuizMaster; August 22nd, 2007 at 01:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 06:32 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.