The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials

Notices

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 9th, 2007 (11:32 AM).
lightou
Beginning Trainer

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to lightou
Hey Poccil, you don't have answers my question :

How can I put the Map into the Bag, because I want to delete te PokeGear?

And how can I fix this bug ?

Quote:
undefined method `pbOnMapChange' for Kernel:Module
PokemonMap:226:in `setMapChanged'
PokemonMap:207:in `setup'
PokemonLoad:191:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
PokemonLoad:173:in `open'
PokemonLoad:173:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
PokemonLoad:142:in `loop'
PokemonLoad:210:in `pbStartLoadScreen'
Scene_Intro:121:in `to_title_update'
Scene_Intro:55:in `main'
Main:41
Old October 15th, 2007 (06:48 PM).
poccil
Trainer

I released a new version of Pokemon Essentials on October 14.

Changes:

Added rudimentary support for battle animations
All documentation for Pokemon Essentials is in one place,
the notes.html file
Added Running Shoes flag; now running is allowed only when
the player has Running Shoes; use the script
$PokemonGlobal.runningShoes=true
Added the Battle Scene option to the option screen.
Added cries for each Pokemon.
Implemented the Pokerus virus.
Made statuses display in battle and in the summary screen.

Modified scripts:

Deleted: Name Input
Added: RTP and Registry
Added: PBAnimation
Changed: PokemonMap
Changed: PokeBattle_Pokemon
Changed: PokemonOption
Changed: PokemonDayCare
Changed: PokemonPokedex
Changed: PokeBattle_Effects
Changed: PBExperience
Changed: PokeBattle_MoveEffects
Changed: PokeBattle_Move
Changed: AnimationSprite
Changed: Module: File Test
Changed: PokemonField
Changed: Walk/Run
Changed: PokemonMart
Changed: PokeBattle_ActualScene
Changed: PokemonTrainers
Changed: PokemonTilesetEditor
Changed: Interpreter 7 *
Changed: BitmapCache
Changed: WindowAndTilemap
Changed: Game_System
Changed: Spriteset_Map
Changed: PokemonMessages
Changed: PBAbilities
Changed: Game_Character 1
Changed: PokemonSummary
Changed: SpriteWindow
Changed: PokemonUtilities
Changed: PokeBattle_Battle
Changed: PokemonScreen
Changed: PokeBattle_Battler
Changed: PokemonStorage
Changed: PokeBattle_Scene
Old October 15th, 2007 (10:59 PM).
Demonic Budha
semi-good RMXPer (not script)

Hey, not sure if this has been pointed out, or even found. But i went into the Cave map (where you need to use flash) and i went into my Menu. I went into 3 parts, the bag, the Poke gear and (hero) tab. And when i came out, the room no longer needed me to use Flash. But i hadnt used it?

Just thought i would mention it

(for those of you who dont know im not the best speller in the world. )
(also i find it funny that im like 10 years older than some of you and im asking you for help. )
Old October 16th, 2007 (08:39 AM).
Lorem Ipsum

There are so many pages of this thread, and I have loads of homework, so don't have time to read them all. This will sound like an uber n00bish question, but how do we add Pokémon, moves, attacks, abilities and Pokédexes to the system?

ALSO, how do we change the title screen from saying Pokémon Starter Kit? I have the image ready, but it won't change the title screen, whatever I do.
Old October 16th, 2007 (08:58 AM).
poccil
Trainer

All documentation for Pokemon Essentials has recently been compiled into one file, see this address:

http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/notes.html

New Pokemon can be added or modified in the text file PBS/pokemon.txt. See that section
in the documentation for details.
The game system doesn't support adding, removing, or modifying moves or abilities.

The game's title screen can be changed by replacing the files Pic_1.png , Pic_2.png , and Start.png .
Each of these files is found in the directory Graphics/Titles.
Old October 16th, 2007 (09:39 AM).
Lorem Ipsum

OK, but how do you make the wild Pokémon battle random? It doesn't seem to explain that there.
Old October 16th, 2007 (09:43 AM).
poccil
Trainer

I don't quite understand what you mean. The game system already determines a random
Pokemon that will be encountered. If you want to edit the encounter rates of Pokemon
within an area, you can do so by modifying PBS/encounters.txt (also mentioned in
the documentation)
Old October 16th, 2007 (09:45 AM).
Lorem Ipsum

So do you have to set a special event for every grass tile determining a battle, and which Pokémon it will battle?
Old October 16th, 2007 (09:55 AM).
poccil
Trainer

I should have been clearer on this. In most cases, after editing encounters.txt, it is enough to put grass tiles (or other tiles with terrain tag 2) on the map for wild Pokemon to appear there -- no events are necessary. The file encounters.txt supports two different encounter types: Land and Cave. For Land encounter types, wild Pokemon will appear only on the grass. For Cave encounter types, wild Pokemon will appear anywhere. Several other encounter types are also supported; see the "PBS/encounters.txt" section of the documentation for details.
Old October 16th, 2007 (10:22 AM).
Lorem Ipsum

Just to see if I'm understanding this right, the syntax to create an encounter in Map #1 with a Pidgey would be:

11 Pidgey 25,10,10
Old October 16th, 2007 (10:33 AM).
poccil
Trainer

Here is the format of entries in encounters.txt:

Code:
011 # ID of the map (check the middle of the status bar)
25,10,10 # Comma-separated line with Land, Cave, Water densities (25 is average)
Land # One of Land/Cave/Water/RockSmash/OldRod/GoodRod/SuperRod
# Wild Pokemon entries follow (incomplete because Land encounter type requires 12)
PIDGEY,16
PARAS,16
PARAS,16
RATTATA,17
The number of entries required varies for each encounter type. For example, Land and Cave encounter types require 12 entries (rarer species should be placed lower in the list). You can look at the file PBS/encounters.txt to get a good idea of what to expect.
Old October 17th, 2007 (10:05 AM).
phoenixprime88b5
From the ashes, I rise...

I know how t input new pokemon into the starter kit, I have the shiny fronts and backs as well as the regular fronts and backs of the sinnoh pokemon but the only thing I'm missing is the two framed animated icons that you said are needed along with the fronts and backs and fro the pokemon to show up in the PC and pokemon selection menu. Where do you get those icons because I would like to add these remaining pokemon to have the 493 official pokemon in my game, Poccil, and thanks again for your starter kit.
Old October 17th, 2007 (10:21 AM).
.houndoomed
Trainer

I have a bit older version of this starter kit, and I have some towns and that made in it. Can I update to the new version without losing all of the work
Old October 17th, 2007 (10:32 AM).
poccil
Trainer

phoenixprime88b5:

The Pokemon icon animations are stored in Graphics/Icons/iconXXX.png, where XXX is a Pokemon
species number. They measure 128x64 pixels and consist of two frames, each of which has a
size of 64x64 pixels. In this page
from my site, you can find icons (animated GIF files) of each species in the game, as well as
supplementary icons for certain forms of the same species.

The latest version of Pokemon Essentials also plays cries of Pokemon species. You can find
cries for all Pokemon at my site (although
they are in .mp3 format and the current version of the code expects a file extension of .wav;
to correct this, replace all instances of "%03dCry.wav" to "%03dCry" in the script sections
PokeBattle_ActualScene, PokemonPokedex, and PokemonSummary).
Old October 17th, 2007 (01:28 PM).
phoenixprime88b5

Everything is starting to work, it's just the png part and icons, you say 64x64 and the games icons are 128x64, what in the world do i have to do with the icons. I just wanted to know if you were going to release all 493 pokemon in the next release or not. cause the icons that you have on your site arent the ones that are in the sk. and even if i took all day to both the individual icons together, the pokemon icons in the sk look slightly different from one another so i know that you just can't put the two together and move them around slightly. Please help.
Old October 17th, 2007 (03:21 PM).
poccil
Trainer

phoenixprime88b5:

I've created a file containing the icon animations in a format that the game system expects.
Old October 17th, 2007 (04:28 PM).
pokemon programer
Head of TerraByte Software

Location: in a sercet room i built under my house working on programing games
hey poccil i think your starter kit is awsome. Would it be possible that you input all the 4th generation pokemon so that people have all those to work with when they start?
Old October 17th, 2007 (05:59 PM).
phoenixprime88b5

Thank you Poccil, I apologize if I may have inconvienced you but thank you for making the icons, now I can add all the sinnoh pokemon myself, thanks you've done me a great deal of good. Thank you once again.
Old October 18th, 2007 (07:41 AM).
Lorem Ipsum

Cut, cut cut. How do I get the script to work it?
Old October 18th, 2007 (08:39 AM).
.houndoomed
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndoomed View Post
I have a bit older version of this starter kit, and I have some towns and that made in it. Can I update to the new version without losing all of the work
Could you answer this please?
Old October 18th, 2007 (09:53 AM).
OblivionMew
Spriter in the Making!

Send a message via AIM to OblivionMew
hey poccil, just wandering if it would be possible to do a national dex. What I mean is say that i have made new pokemon and the first one is No.1 in the pokedex, but after you get the national dex bulbasaur is No.1
Old October 18th, 2007 (12:32 PM).
pokemon programer
Head of TerraByte Software

Location: in a sercet room i built under my house working on programing games
I just got to mess around with the new version. I think it is awsome even more now with the cries. That is cool that you can upload boxes from pokemon ruby. Where is the code for the debug menu? I was thinking about trying to add some stuff to it. Keep up the awsome work.
Old October 18th, 2007 (01:12 PM). Edited October 18th, 2007 by Absola.
Absola
~ Let me fly away

Nature: Gentle
poccil, your work is truly amazing... I have some experience with rmxp and I didn't find your notes and documentation unclear. But for non-experienced rmxp users I guess it could be a bit confusing. My own questions concerns the scripts and I'm trying to out if there are methods to make the battle background changeable, as the script doesn't use a simple image file.

If you don't mind poccil, I'll see if I can answer some questions from you guys here:

Houndoomed:

Well.. why don't check it out yourself..? Just copy the game folder and update one of them... another method is to copy the town maps you've created to the new project (the new version of the starter kit) and import all resources you've added again. Then you'll need to update the .txt files simply by copying the data you've written in the older version. Important: Remember that the map ID:s could be different when you copy your old maps in a new project so make sure the map ID has the same variable as in the .txt files.

Lorem Ipsum:

Quote:
Just to see if I'm understanding this right, the syntax to create an encounter in Map #1 with a Pidgey would be:

11 Pidgey 25,10,10
No, not exactly. Here is an example of generating a Pidgey on map #1:

Code:
Land
PIDGEY,12
PIDGEY,16
PIDGEY,18
PIDGEY,13
PIDGEY,17
PIDGEY,19
PIDGEY,14
PIDGEY,20
PIDGEY,16
PIDGEY,21
PIDGEY,22
PIDGEY,23
The first line is the map ID and you can check a map's ID by checking its properties (or looking at the status bar). The encounter will appear in every tile tagged 2 which should be the grass patch. Hope that helped..!

Backmaster:

Quote:
how can i edit the dexdata?
Just open PBS/pokemon.txt and follow poccil's instructions. If you want to create a new pokemon you can continue on the list but don't
forget to add it in PBSpecies in the script editor, otherwise you'll get an error message.

Quote:
and how to add new moves in the move list?
The script doesn't support adding and editing moves and it's the same for abilities. I think that poccil has been rather clear on this and it's even written in the text file.

~ Absola
Old October 18th, 2007 (01:39 PM).
poccil
Trainer

Thanks for your response. Now, to answer your question: Take a look at the script section PokeBattle_ActualScene, which implements the look of the battle system. Line 986 of that script section looks like this:

Code:
 pbAddPlane("battlebg","Graphics/Pictures/battlebg.png",@viewport)
The file "Graphics/Pictures/battlebg.png" is where the battle background is located. You can replace that file with any image you want (though it should be 480x224 in size). The image will be tiled to fit the screen. With scripting, you can change which image will be shown as the battle background depending on the situation. Here's an example:

Code:
 now=Time.now
 if now.hour<6 || now.hour>=20
  bgfile="Graphics/Pictures/battlebgNight.png"
 else
  bgfile="Graphics/Pictures/battlebgDay.png"
 end
 battlebgplane=pbAddPlane("battlebg",bgfile,@viewport)
(The filenames given are just examples.)

Lines 987 and 988 of PokeBattle_ActualScene load the images for the "coasters" where active Pokemon are placed during a battle. These files are "Graphics/Pictures/enemybase.png" and "Graphics/Pictures/playerbase.png" and both files are just as customizable.

I hope this helps.

Sponsored Links