The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials

Notices

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Demonic Budha
semi-good RMXPer (not script)

Advertise here
Awsome work guys. Im not going to ask a question, as you seem to be unindated with them :D

(for those of you who dont know im not the best speller in the world. )
(also i find it funny that im like 10 years older than some of you and im asking you for help. )
Old October 19th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Lorem Ipsum

I need to know how to create switches, like "Met the Professor", so you can meet the Professor in Route 1, and then go back to the lab and he is there, when he wasn't before.
Old October 19th, 2007, 08:02 AM
poccil
Trainer

Switches are what allow events to conditionally appear based on the state of the game. They are normally set as events are created.

To set switches, create an event by double-clicking on the map. There you will see a dialog box where you can edit information about the event. In the "Conditions" section, select the "Switch" checkbox and then press the "..." button next to it. You will soon see a dialog box where you can edit the switches in the game.

The event you just selected will appear only if a switch selected in the dialog box is on. In this box, you can edit the name of any of the switches. Pokemon Essentials also supports "script-based switches", where an arbitrary script determines whether the switch is on and the switch doesn't need to be set. Script-based switches begin with "s:" and contain the script to be run after that.

To change the number of switches, press "Change Max."

After choosing a switch, close the dialog box.

To set multiple conditions (switches) at once for a single event, you can create event pages for each of those conditions, and the highest event page that meets all conditions will be run for a single event. Finally, to set a switch, use the "Control Switches" event command.

I hope this helps.
Old October 19th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Nature: Naive
How can I change the attack power and accuracy? I've tried (successfully) making a new ability, but I want to know how to make attacks.
Yes, I know it says it doesn't support adding new attacks, but surely it is possible, just like with abilities?
Old October 19th, 2007, 08:47 AM
poccil
Trainer

Yes, technically it is possible to add new abilities, but due to the way abilities work, there can't be a unified approach to implementing them, since it requires advanced scripting skills, and in particular, knowing the functionality of the battle system, in order to add new abilities.

Much of the same applies with moves, since moves have many different effects, again making a unified approach to them practically impossible. Move data can be found in "PBS/rsattacks.dat", but that's a binary file and not a text file.
Old October 19th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Nature: Naive
How could I open it so I can change the power/accuracy etc?
Old October 19th, 2007, 08:53 AM
poccil
Trainer

I could try, but since it couldn't be understood by everyone, I will send a private message.
Old October 19th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Minorthreat0987
Pokemon Tellurium

Nature: Adamant
I don't know if it is just me but my game experinces extremely detrimental lag while on outside maps using the Essentials Kit, does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it, i have a maximun of like 15-20 events per map(most have way less like 5-10) so i dont think its overloaded, but i dont know. please help thanks.

.:EDIT:.
Just so you'll know I have the same problem in an unedited version of the Essentials kit, but not in other game files of mine that dont use the essentials kit.

Check out my DeviantArt account for info on my new project! Pokemon Tellurium.
My DeviantArt

Last edited by Minorthreat0987; October 19th, 2007 at 10:13 AM.
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:21 AM
pokemon programer
Head of TerraByte Software

Location: in a sercet room i built under my house working on programing games
Quote:
hey poccil i think your starter kit is awsome. Would it be possible that you input all the 4th generation pokemon so that people have all those to work with when they start?

I just got to mess around with the new version. I think it is awsome even more now with the cries. That is cool that you can upload boxes from pokemon ruby. Where is the code for the debug menu? I was thinking about trying to add some stuff to it. Keep up the awsome work.
I thought I would repost since it changed pages.
Oh poccil did you get the pm I sent you. If so please reply
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:49 AM
phoenixprime88b5
From the ashes, I rise...

Yeah, recieved the icons for the 4th generation pokemon from poccils site and I have the shiny fronts and back as well as the regular fonts nd backs, alll I'm doing now is entering data for them. I talked to Flameguru and he said if i add the remaining pokemon to pass the pokemon txt and graphics folder to others but I have a problem with some of the data for the pokemon, which includes the items needed to evolve certain ones, the growth rate, moves that aren't in the list that you put in the SK and some other piece of Data that's needed in the game. After getting this pokemon situation cleared I really wont have any reason to bother you Poccil, but I really just need your help with the pokemon data fro the Sinnoh pokemon, cause the data from your site that I am using, some of the data and moves aren't working in the game and I need your help with the pokemon.txt data. If you can give me that, I'll find a way to contribute the graphics of the 4th generation pokemon that other SK users have been asking you about and maybe it can relieve some workload off of you, but it's you're call Poccil.

Last edited by phoenixprime88b5; October 19th, 2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:10 PM
pokemon programer

Sorry poccil if i answer wrong. phoenixprime88b5 the reason why some of the attacks aren't working is because the 4th generation attacks aren't programmed in the game as of yet. Which means you are trying to use data that dosen't exist. The reason that the items for eveolution aren't working is because the fact that you might not of created the items in items.txt (i think thats the name).

Last edited by pokemon programer; October 19th, 2007 at 02:12 PM. Reason: forgot to add information
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:18 PM
blueguy
No capitalization required. ;D

Nature: Quirky
What a really fantastic resource! I can't thank you enough. It's really exciting to be able to make my own game without having extensive knowledge about scripting and the like.

I'm a little bit confused about how I can change some of the animations in the game. The attacks have the "fire" animation, and I want to try to make specific ones. I'm not sure where I associate each attack with the animations I make. And I'd also like to animate the Poké Ball being thrown.

Thank you very much.
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Flameguru
Pokemon: Metallic Silver

Nature: Rash
Only Preliminary support is built in for Attack Animations. Poccil said this a few pages back. I'm pretty sure he wants us to create animations ourselves and have us send them to him.
Old October 19th, 2007, 06:36 PM
phoenixprime88b5
From the ashes, I rise...

Originally Posted by pokemon programer View Post
Sorry poccil if i answer wrong. phoenixprime88b5 the reason why some of the attacks aren't working is because the 4th generation attacks aren't programmed in the game as of yet. Which means you are trying to use data that dosen't exist. The reason that the items for eveolution aren't working is because the fact that you might not of created the items in items.txt (i think thats the name).
I know that why the data didn't work. When I was explaining why the data wasn't working was because attacks can't be made and the items woild have to be made for the evolution part. I know Pokemon Programmer, that's why I was saying to Poccil that he would have to add the attacks and items or change the data for the pokemon. So hopefully he'll put the 4th generation pokemon in the next Starter Kit update.
Old October 19th, 2007, 06:48 PM
blueguy

I feel pretty stupid, because for some reason I can't get a very simple thing to work. XD

I was wanting to do a player transfer from my starting town into a cave, and it comes up with this error when the player touches the entrance.
Old October 19th, 2007, 06:49 PM
pokemon programer

Sorry I must of misunderstood what you were saying. I asked him that a couple of pages ago but got no answer.
Everybody I sent poccil a pm and told him about an idea I had about possibly making a scripting language to go with it because a lot of people don't like Ruby/RGSS and with all the scipts that poccil has added it might be hard to make a compatible script. Then I thougt I would ask you all wether or not you would want that. Plus it would be a lot easier to learn. I haven't gotten a reply from him yet and would like your input on the this idea. I told him that I would develop the language if he would implment it so please put in your oppion.

Blueguy that is something that happens to me. The reason it happens is because something dosen't intilize properly I seem to find it the most common error that it gives me. Make sure you don't have alot of other programs running when you are playing. It seems to cut down on it happing.

Last edited by pokemon programer; October 19th, 2007 at 06:53 PM. Reason: answer a question
Old October 19th, 2007, 06:55 PM
blueguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemon programer View Post
Blueguy that is something that happens to me. The reason it happens is because something dosen't intilize properly I seem to find it the most common error that it gives me. Make sure you don't have alot of other programs running when you are playing. It seems to cut down on it happing.
I don't think that's why it's doing it. On the test map, entering and exiting the cave works fine. I'm really confused why it doesn't on my own maps.
Old October 19th, 2007, 07:02 PM
pokemon programer

I don't know then I just keep trying and eventully it will work for me. If it happens close the box that says it and hit F12. If this doesn't work then I don't know.
Old October 19th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Minorthreat0987
Pokemon Tellurium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minorthreat0987 View Post
I don't know if it is just me but my game experinces extremely detrimental lag while on outside maps using the Essentials Kit, does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it, i have a maximun of like 15-20 events per map(most have way less like 5-10) so i dont think its overloaded, but i dont know. please help thanks.

.:EDIT:.
Just so you'll know I have the same problem in an unedited version of the Essentials kit, but not in other game files of mine that dont use the essentials kit.
Through some testing i notice that the lag is caused by the connecting of maps, my guess is its processing/updating all the events at once instead of the ones only on the map that the hero is located...maybe. I say this because on Indoor maps there is no lag, so I assume that its because they aren't connected to any other maps using the connections.txt file. If that is the case is there anything that can be done to fix that problem, its a life or death issue with my game...

If you need my to, Poccil, I can PM you an un encrypted progress file that you can take a look at..idk tho it might just be my project file is screwed up.

My DeviantArt

Last edited by Minorthreat0987; October 19th, 2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old October 19th, 2007, 08:33 PM
NytewolfAU2k7
Game Modder & Creator

Yea, I noticed that lag myself Minorthreat0987, I get it often as I have a fair few connecting maps in Code Biohazard (only 3 really; New Bark, Route29 and Cherrygrove) and they lag...

I also have a fair few events on each map individually, namely the various NPC's who inhabit those areas...
Old October 19th, 2007, 11:36 PM
poccil
Trainer

Minorthreat0987:

Part of what I believe is causing lag is the custom Tilemap class I created. Even though I've improved its performance recently, I worry that it may not be enough yet. That's why starting with the next version, the custom class will be enabled only when the screen size is being shrunk. I may even make it a game option in the near future. But thanks for your offer on letting me investigate the problem.
Old October 20th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Backmaster
Beginning Trainer

@Poccil: Could you try to explain how it works just like you did it for "wichu"?

Send me a PM pls.

Maybe I could work at the animations files.
But i need more sprites

Is there anyone who can rip them from game?
Old October 20th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Lorem Ipsum

How do you get a Pokémon from say a Pokéball in a lab to the party?
Old October 20th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Minorthreat0987
Pokemon Tellurium

Quote:
Originally Posted by poccil View Post
Minorthreat0987:

Part of what I believe is causing lag is the custom Tilemap class I created. Even though I've improved its performance recently, I worry that it may not be enough yet. That's why starting with the next version, the custom class will be enabled only when the screen size is being shrunk. I may even make it a game option in the near future. But thanks for your offer on letting me investigate the problem.
If that was the case then wouldnt the lag occur on both connected and non-connected maps. I only experience lag when I have the maps connected if I dont have them connected then there is vertually no lag. Also would the tilemap class cause the game to freeze completely, because mine has done that a few times.

My DeviantArt

Last edited by Minorthreat0987; October 20th, 2007 at 04:32 AM.
Old October 20th, 2007, 06:58 AM
poccil
Trainer

Lorem Ipsum:

See the "Adding a Pokemon" section in my documentation:

Quote:
For an easy way to add a Pokemon, call pbAddPokemon(X,Y) where X is the species number of the Pokemon, and Y is its level. You can modify that function, which is located in PokemonUtilities, to remove the messages. Adding a Pokemon may fail, so this statement should appear in a "Conditional Branch" event command.
Minorthreat0987:

As I've learned, a reason why the game can freeze is that the game has to load a very large tileset bitmap, which is the case for the sample outdoor maps. I had therefore modified the RPG::Cache class to handle this case, namely that if loading the bitmap would cause the script to hang, it tries again. (As I've learned, RGSS raises the hanging-up exception only once per run.)

Sponsored Links

Advertise here