Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials
Notices

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 6th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Fraot
Researcher & Game Developer

Nature: Quiet

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier View Post
Code:
4,COMETPUNCH,Comet Punch,1D,18,SPACE,Physical,85,15,0,0,0,abef,Tough,"The foe is hit with a flurry of punches that strike two to five times in a row."
It seems everything's OK, you may be missing the type graphic(where it says: "SPACE", or "FIRE", i mean, the picture, do you know what i'm talking about?).

If that's the problem, you must add the graphic to below the QMARKS's... or above, depending on the number of type you edited.

EDIT: According to your script, put the LIGHT and SPACE types on the 16th and 17th positions(below DARK and above QMARKS). And, I think you noticed the "types.png" picture on the Graphics/Pictures folder, edit it.
Pokémon Pure Version. It's gone now. Buh-bye Nohmen Region! Nobody will miss you because no one had the chance to meet you.

And also... a new Megaman X game is coming. Megaman X: Maverick Wars.
Old August 7th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Pier
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraot View Post
It seems everything's OK, you may be missing the type graphic(where it says: "SPACE", or "FIRE", i mean, the picture, do you know what i'm talking about?).

If that's the problem, you must add the graphic to below the QMARKS's... or above, depending on the number of type you edited.

EDIT: According to your script, put the LIGHT and SPACE types on the 16th and 17th positions(below DARK and above QMARKS). And, I think you noticed the "types.png" picture on the Graphics/Pictures folder, edit it.
I forgot to do this, so I added a type graphic for both types, but I still get the same message.
Old August 7th, 2009, 02:19 AM
~JV~
Dev of Pokémon Uranium

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to ~JV~
I know whats your problem, the editor somehow doesnt read new types. Open your game through the playtest button (so it can update your scripts and pbs stuff) then run the editor. It's just a essentials' bug.
Sig in maintenance!
Old August 7th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Raymeltos
Beginning Trainer

Hello, I'm kinda new to Pokemon Essentials...not to RPG Maker though. My major problem at the moment is...well I'm trying to get other trainer ID's to load...but I don't really understand what I have to do...I tried separating the name and the ID with a comma...but I can't think of much else to do.
Old August 7th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Pier
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JV~ View Post
I know whats your problem, the editor somehow doesnt read new types. Open your game through the playtest button (so it can update your scripts and pbs stuff) then run the editor. It's just a essentials' bug.
It worked, thanks. During that same playtest, I ran into another error while I should be encountering a wild Pokémon. I haven't edited any script parts mentioned. What's wrong?
Spoiler:
---------------------------
Pokémon: Digital invasion
Exception: NoMethodError
Message: undefined method `metat=' for #<PokeBattle_Pokemon:0x98e2440>
PokeBattle_ActualScene:1575:in `pbStartBattle'
PokeBattle_Battle:715:in `pbStartBattleCore'
PokeBattle_Battle:687:in `pbStartBattle'
PokemonField:479:in `pbWildBattle'
PokemonField:478:in `pbSceneStandby'
PokemonField:480:in `pbWildBattle'
PokemonField:477:in `pbBattleAnimation'
PokemonField:477:in `pbWildBattle'
PokemonField:800:in `pbOnStepTaken'
Game_Player_:447:in `update_old'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.
Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK
Old August 7th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Fraot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JV~ View Post
Yes, he's right. But, I thought you already did that, didn't you?

When you run a test play it automatictly compiles the PBS files you edited(if you saved at least one, it will compile all the files). I think you,Pier, already did that. So if this is not the anwer, I dunno. I haven't added types on my game.

I may add a type on order to help you to know what's wrong.

EDIT: You, yes you, Pier. You pasted mad.array's feature to your game, that's it.
Well, if you want that solved, press Ctrl+F on the scripts window of the Pedapp Basic game, and then paste "metat" to look for scripts containing it. Copy and paste every script to your game containg "metat", and then should contain "metspcl" and "metlv" as well.
Pokémon Pure Version. It's gone now. Buh-bye Nohmen Region! Nobody will miss you because no one had the chance to meet you.

Last edited by Fraot; August 7th, 2009 at 07:04 AM. Reason: to clear things...
Old August 7th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Pier
Beginning Trainer

I copied all the script and it worked, thanks Fraot!
Old August 7th, 2009, 08:00 AM
rockleon
Beginning Trainer

Hello, I have a couple questions for now.
I've been working on my game. and i wanted to know how to move the bases, like where the pokemon stand. theres a link to a picture of what i mean in the sig.How can i move the pokemon so it fits on the base better?and i also wanted to know if theres a possible way for it to show the pokemons icon on the pokemon on the left of the health bar. Y'know? like in the pokemon summary?

http://img24.imageshack.us/i/capture018.png/
Old August 7th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockleon View Post
Hello, I have a couple questions for now.
I've been working on my game. and i wanted to know how to move the bases, like where the pokemon stand. theres a link to a picture of what i mean in the sig.How can i move the pokemon so it fits on the base better?and i also wanted to know if theres a possible way for it to show the pokemons icon on the pokemon on the left of the health bar. Y'know? like in the pokemon summary?
You'll want to look in PokeBattle_ActualScene. That's the part of the scripts that dictates where everything is placed in the battle screens. It's also very messy.

A similar question was asked very recently in here, regarding moving pokémon sprites around in the battle screen (which I answered). Read that, and also know that you can change the coordinates for any of the pictures/sprites displayed by finding where it's generated in the script. Since the circles of grass are named "battlebase" (so I recall), searching for that phrase would be a good start. Wherever you come across something that looks like it's a set of coordinates for the battle bases, it's a good sign that you should probably change them a bit. And use my previous advice for moving pokémon sprites around the screen as well.

I won't answer that question any more thoroughly, because it would involve my doing some research (I haven't touched the battle screen yet in my project, so I'm not too familiar with it) and because you really should be looking to see if anyone else has been asking the same questions before.

As for showing pokémon icons (the little animated ones), it's perfectly possible. There's one part of the PokeBattle_ActualScene script that dictates how the battle boxes are laid out (where the health bar goes, where the name goes, etc. etc.), and you could easily add in a line of code to display the icon somewhere in there as well. If you don't know how, look up how it's done in the Pokémon Party screen and basically copy-paste.

Though I'm not sure why you'd want the icons, seeing as how the full sprite is right there, along with its name. Do you really need another identifier? :D
Old August 7th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Fraot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier View Post
I copied all the script and it worked, thanks Fraot!
You're welcome. The next time, if you want to extract scripts from someone else, try to copy everything and be careful. Backup the original text files in case you ruin them.

That's my experience.

Old August 8th, 2009, 02:27 AM
?Alistair?
Beginning Trainer

I was wondering where I start to go about changing the screen resolution to make my game ok to display 80x80 sprites. Thanks.

Just to prevent confusion as people congratulate me on my great tile making skills, i am not the Alistair who is a master spriter.

Looking for Fakemon Scratch Spriter - PM Me
Old August 8th, 2009, 09:57 AM
InMooseWeTrust
Jack of All Trades

Nature: Careful
Send a message via ICQ to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via AIM to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Yahoo to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Skype™ to InMooseWeTrust
Quote:
Originally Posted by ?Alistair? View Post
I was wondering where I start to go about changing the screen resolution to make my game ok to display 80x80 sprites. Thanks.
I wouldn't recommend doing that because it would mess up almost all the graphics in the game. If you're willing to remake and realign them all, then just do a simple screen resize.
Pokémon: Battles of the Past
Site Thread
Black2 FC: 5072 6059 9635
Old August 8th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Fraot

Quote:
Originally Posted by InMooseWeTrust View Post
I wouldn't recommend doing that because it would mess up almost all the graphics in the game. If you're willing to remake and realign them all, then just do a simple screen resize.

He's right ?Alistair?, I wouldn't recommend that. I'm having a hard time adjusting everything on the screen(scripts), and it is not easy nor pleasant.

But if you want to change the screen size anyway, then go to the "SpriteResizer" script and edit the first lines:
#-----------
module Graphics
@@width=512
@@height=384
#-----------
Those are mine, they're the ones for the DS's resolution. Or (480x320 for the GBA's). You must know that every size/measure here is doubled.

Old August 8th, 2009, 03:29 PM
thepsynergist
A Gym Leader, Kyushu Region

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Yahoo to thepsynergist Send a message via Skype™ to thepsynergist
OK this isn't a large problem, but I want to make an Item that allows you to warp from one place to a specific place.
I have this script and everything works fine, but when the script finishes, i get a text box that says, "Can't use that item here." Its just a cosmetic error, but I want to know how to get rid of it. Thx a bunch. I placed this in PokemonItems tab of script.

when PBItems::TRWATCH
if Kernel.pbConfirmMessage(_INTL("Do you want to warp to the Rocket Headquarters?"))
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("\PN warps to Rocket Headquarters."))
Audio.se_play('Audio/SE/018-Teleport01', 100, 100)
$game_screen.start_flash(Color.new(255, 255, 255, 160), 5)
$game_map.setup(34)
$game_player.moveto(25,21)
$game_player.straighten
$game_map.update
$game_map.autoplay
$scene = Scene_Map.new
Graphics.transition(20)
return 2
else
return 2
end

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/thepsynergist
Old August 9th, 2009, 02:25 AM
MisterTdK
Game Maniak

Does anyone have the headbutt animation from the older versions? Because in the newest version it appears to be bugged. (The July 21 release)

Thx a lot!
Old August 9th, 2009, 06:29 AM
NikNaks

Nature: Jolly
If I was to remake, say, Emerald with Essentials, is there any capability for me to have a Pal-Park type area in another game, where I could send my Emerald Pokémon?
Old August 9th, 2009, 01:40 PM
venom12
Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to venom12
Hey, i have problem when i use command to call scene like pbShowBag or trainercard that doesnt work i got error.
This signature has been disabled.
Exceeds signature height limit because of broken images.
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old August 9th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Fraot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikNaks View Post
If I was to remake, say, Emerald with Essentials, is there any capability for me to have a Pal-Park type area in another game, where I could send my Emerald Pokémon?
Wut?!
Are you serious?!... ... ... man, this is bad. How can you transfer pokémon from another pokémon game? THERE'S NO WAY.

Please, be logic, if Pokémon Essentials were a hack, then there could be a posibility. But... gosh! It's impossible. If you find a way to extract data from .pkm files then you'll have my respect.

@venom12: "Hey, i have problem when i use command to call scene like pbShowBag or trainercard that doesnt work i got error. "

To call a scene it is "$scene = Scene_x.new", where 'x' is the name of the class, in this case, scene. I think the "pb" is to call other kind of scenes, like the town map. I don't know exactly but, it's not used to call scenes like the bag.

Old August 9th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Alexandre

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Wut?!
Are you serious?!... ... ... man, this is bad. How can you transfer pokémon from another pokémon game? THERE'S NO WAY.

Please, be logic, if Pokémon Essentials were a hack, then there could be a posibility. But... gosh! It's impossible. If you find a way to extract data from .pkm files then you'll have my respect.
Don't claim without proof, this is an extremley simple feat. All it requires is a simple load of the trainers party from the other save file, a little coding here and there, and encounters can be made utilising the pokemon from the trainer's party . You even gave me an idea on how to do it for Blue Chrome to transfer PKMN between Heroes and Explorers.
Old August 9th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Fraot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandre View Post
Don't claim without proof, this is an extremley simple feat. All it requires is a simple load of the trainers party from the other save file, a little coding here and there, and encounters can be made utilising the pokemon from the trainer's party . You even gave me an idea on how to do it for Blue Chrome to transfer PKMN between Heroes and Explorers.
Whatever, the .pkm files' coding is different that the Essentials's, and I think there's no way to decode those files in order to make them loadable for Essentials later.

Old August 9th, 2009, 09:23 PM
lx_theo
Game Developer

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Whatever, the .pkm files' coding is different that the Essentials's, and I think there's no way to decode those files in order to make them loadable for Essentials later.
There's probably a way, but not many would be capable of doing it.
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:07 PM
wandererwillow
Beginning Trainer

The coding is COMPLETELY different. Pokemon games use their own coding and engine, while Pokemon Essentials uses the RPG Maker coding. So, in short, it's impossible without creating a way to connect the two games and have them communicate through a bridge, which is damn near impossible without getting down to the exact coding and information that is transfered, and the reprogramming Pokemon Essentials to understand, decode, and use that information.

Honestly, I'm not one to say things are completely impossible, but with it's extremely improbable that someone would take the time to do that, considering the massive amount of detailed coding necessary.
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Napalm
Careful! That Stuff Burns!

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Napalm
Awesome stuff. thank you very much! I've just started using RMXP myself.

Last.FM Profile| Platinum FC | Intelligent PC Brother
Old August 9th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Alexandre

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Ah, sorry, I thought he meant transfer between two RMXP games, but still transfering between a real pokemon game and an rmxp game is feasable, I would look into it, if I had experience in C
Old August 9th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Raymeltos
Beginning Trainer

I'm having a current problem with RPG Maker in general, and I was wondering if I could get help. I had this same problem with VX as well...But at random times, a bunch of my imported graphics files are ignored...it's weird...it treats them as blanks. I can reload them all, but it will just pretend they're not there everytime I close and re-open RPG Maker...it's very annoying and if anyone can help me...I love you.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here