Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials
Notices

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 11th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by desbrina View Post
When creating the npc you select stop animation which enables the walking while standing still
Fixed. Thanks for the help

Pokemon Pillars of Destiny - Starters
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...

Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC

Last edited by Worldslayer608; September 11th, 2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old September 11th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Ratty524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
The number one rule for adding new abilities is that, if there's an existing ability that is similar to what you want to add, copy it. Abilities can do so many completely different things that it's impossible to give a general explanation of how to add them.

Hiker - The Levitate ability makes Pokémon immune to entry hazards. Copy it for that effect.

Snow Slider - As you said, Swift Swim and Chlorophyll do similar things. Copy them.

Stiff Body - In the same place in the scripts that Pure Power doubles a move's damage, put something in to halve the damage if the move is physical and the opponent has Stiff Body.

Frost Power - Copy Huge Power, but add in that it only works for Ice moves in hail.

Snow Warning is the same as Drought and Drizzle, but for hail. Wherever they appear in the scripts, copy them for Snow Warning.

Eventually all abilities will be included in Essentials by default. I couldn't possibly say when, though.
Thank you, but I have some questions (I'm not very experienced with RGSS)
Quote:
if pkmn.pbOwnSide.effects[PBEffects:pikes] > 0
if !isConst?(pkmn.ability,PBAbilities,:LEVITATE) && !pkmn.pbHasType?(:FLYING) && (pkmn.ability,PBAbilities,:HIKER)
spikesdiv=[0,8,6,4]
pkmn.pbReduceHP(pkmn.hp/spikesdiv[pkmn.pbOwnSide.effects[PBEffects:pikes]])
pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("{1} is hurt by spikes!",pkmn.pbThis))
This is what I did for PokeBattle_Battle class to implement Hiker. Is this essentially correct, or do I need to do more?

For Stiff Body and Frost Power, I found where the damage is calculated for Huge and Pure Power, but I simply don't understand the proper format for implementing it.

Here's what I attempted for Stiff Body, at least:
Quote:
if isConst?(opponent.ability,PBAbilities,TIFFBODY)
atk=(atk/2).floor
end
The problem is I can't figure out how to get it to check whether the attack used was physical. I'm a total noob at this.

Also, I can't seem to find the class where the Swiftswim/chlorophyll abilities are implemented. Can you help me out?
Old September 12th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty524 View Post
Thank you, but I have some questions (I'm not very experienced with RGSS)

This is what I did for PokeBattle_Battle class to implement Hiker. Is this essentially correct, or do I need to do more?
Code:
if pkmn.pbOwnSide.effects[PBEffects::Spikes] > 0
  if !isConst?(pkmn.ability,PBAbilities,:LEVITATE) && !pkmn.pbHasType?(:FLYING) && !isConst?(pkmn.ability,PBAbilities,:HIKER)
    spikesdiv=[0,8,6,4]
    pkmn.pbReduceHP(pkmn.hp/spikesdiv[pkmn.pbOwnSide.effects[PBEffects::Spikes]])
    pbDisplayPaused(_INTL("{1} is hurt by spikes!",pkmn.pbThis))
  end
end
Almost right. The red bit is what you want.

Quote:
For Stiff Body and Frost Power, I found where the damage is calculated for Huge and Pure Power, but I simply don't understand the proper format for implementing it.

Here's what I attempted for Stiff Body, at least:

The problem is I can't figure out how to get it to check whether the attack used was physical. I'm a total noob at this.
Code:
if isConst?(opponent.ability,PBAbilities,:STIFFBODY) && pbIsPhysical?(type)
  atk=(atk/2).floor
end
Put that in next to where Huge Power is mentioned.

Code:
if weather==PBWeather::HAIL
  if isConst?(type,PBTypes,:ICE) && isConst?(attacker.ability,PBAbilities,:FROSTPOWER)
    damage=(damage*1.5).floor
  end
end
Put that in a bit further down, next to where the other weather stuff is handled.

Quote:
Also, I can't seem to find the class where the Swiftswim/chlorophyll abilities are implemented. Can you help me out?
A Pokémon's speed is calculated in the script section PokeBattle_Battler, in the def pbSpeed. Copy Chlorophyll/Swift Swim exactly, but just change the ability and the weather.

I think you did very well for "a total noob".
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Ratty524

Thanks a a lot. Going to test this stuff out right now.
Old September 15th, 2011, 04:41 AM
victorspvl
Beginning Trainer

How I can move Dependent events?? I need much this answer!

Thanks!
Pokémon Silver Chronicles.

"Feel like a Pokémon Trainer."

wait...
Old September 17th, 2011, 08:12 AM
TACHAN

Hello!
I could have done variants of Wild Pokemon Shiny focused on other things.
Quote:
Events.onWildPokemonCreate+=proc {|sender,e|
pokemon=e[0]
if $game_switches[X]
pokemon.makeShiny
end
}
Here a few examples that I share:

Wild Pokemon with upset condition.
Quote:
pokemon=e[0]
if $game_switches[X]
pokemon.status=PBStatuses:LEEP/POISON/FROZEN/PARALYSIS/BURN
end
}
X = Switch Number
Only it chooses a status condition, Obviously.

Wild Pokemon with Moves to choice.
Quote:
pokemon=e[0]
if $game_switches[X]
pbAutoLearnMove(pokemon,PBMoves::Y)
end
}
X = Switch Number
Y = Movements of the Wild Pokemon

Wild Pokemon with equipped item.
Quote:
pokemon=e[0]
if $game_switches[X]
pokemon.item=PBItems::Y
end
}
X = Swicth Number
Y = Item Name

Wild Pokemon with all IVS to 31.
Quote:
pokemon=e[0]
if $game_switches[X]
# Set all IVs to 31 for example
pokemon.iv[0]=31 # HP
pokemon.iv[1]=31 # Attack
pokemon.iv[2]=31 # Defense
pokemon.iv[3]=31 # Speed
pokemon.iv[4]=31 # Special Attack
pokemon.iv[5]=31 # Special Defense
# Recalculate stats
pokemon.calcStats
end
}
X = Switch Number

Wild Pokemon with all EVS to 255. (HACK HACK HACK )
Quote:
pokemon=e[0]
if $game_switches[X]
pokemon.ev[0]=255
pokemon.ev[1]=255
pokemon.ev[2]=255
pokemon.ev[3]=255
pokemon.ev[4]=255
pokemon.ev[5]=255
# Recalculate stats
pokemon.calcStats
end
}
X = Swicth Number

After all that, I have a few questions.
-Does it form someone of doing that the Wild Pokemon has the ability that you choose?
-Does it form someone of doing that the Wild Pokemon has the alternative form that you choose?
-How might all that do with a pokemon of a trainer without touching anything of the metadata?
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Bill™
Random Guy

In Raptor EX, you can trade pokemon. Is there a way to do this in the newest essentials?
Yes, my name is trademarked.
Creator Pokémon AQUAmarine
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=258478
I support

Old September 19th, 2011, 12:37 PM
ManCharmander
Beginning Trainer

Hi, I'm new to all this stuff. Like three days.. I'm wondering how to make it so that the wild encounters aren't level 25? Please reply. Thanks.
Old September 19th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Tranitar
Working on Pokémon Wraith

How do I raise my chances of finding a shiny instead of it being
1/5876 or whtever i want it to be 1/25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManCharmander View Post
Hi, I'm new to all this stuff. Like three days.. I'm wondering how to make it so that the wild encounters aren't level 25? Please reply. Thanks.
On the Encounters notepad file inside of PBS. Whatever pokémon you want should look like this for an example.
WEEDLE,1,3
or if you wanted it to be like this
BEEDRILL,100
it would only be level 100. while the weedle would be levels 1 - 3.

Last edited by Tranitar; September 19th, 2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old September 20th, 2011, 01:46 AM
jim42

Hey guys, I've been having some trouble in regards to my BGMs. I've found that during a certain sequence in which I've altered the BGM to differ from the default one for the map, saving and reloading causes the BGM to revert to the default map one. It's rather annoying and it becomes impractical to have an event to do it all the time.

Is there are way by which I can memorise the BGM playing when one clicks save, and then have it automatically start that BGM again when the save is loaded? Oh, and before anyone suggests it, I've tried using the Memorise/Restore BGM events, which failed (unless I went about it wrong). I'm useless at scripting but if it comes to that then I'll try my best to understand it. Thanks in advance guys.
Old September 20th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACHAN View Post
-Does it form someone of doing that the Wild Pokemon has the ability that you choose?
-Does it form someone of doing that the Wild Pokemon has the alternative form that you choose?
-How might all that do with a pokemon of a trainer without touching anything of the metadata?
You can only set a Pokémon's ability to be either of the ones that species can have, by setting the Pokémon's property abilityflag to 0 (the first ability) or 1 (the second ability). You can't just give a Pokémon any ability you like. I've toyed with the idea of letting people set a Pokémon's ability to anything (e.g. Pikachu with Overgrow), but then what happens when that Pokémon evolves?

You can set a Pokémon's form easily, by setting form for it.

You can't easily set any properties of a trainer's Pokémon that you can't already set in the PBS file. That would require clever and tedious scripting. On the one hand I'd like users to be able to set lots of things, but on the other hand that's a lot of variables for each trainer-owned Pokémon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill™ View Post
In Raptor EX, you can trade pokemon. Is there a way to do this in the newest essentials?
You mean with other real people between games? No. In-game trades are all you've got, unless someone clever comes up with a GTS-style thingy (which is a whole bucket o' worms). I'm not that interested in code-trading, though, so I'm not likely to try putting it in.
Old September 20th, 2011, 08:45 PM
thepsynergist
A Gym Leader, Kyushu Region

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Yahoo to thepsynergist Send a message via Skype™ to thepsynergist
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACHAN View Post
Hello!
I could have done variants of Wild Pokemon Shiny focused on other things.

Here a few examples that I share:

Wild Pokemon with upset condition.

X = Switch Number
Only it chooses a status condition, Obviously.

Wild Pokemon with Moves to choice.

X = Switch Number
Y = Movements of the Wild Pokemon

Wild Pokemon with equipped item.

X = Swicth Number
Y = Item Name

Wild Pokemon with all IVS to 31.

X = Switch Number

Wild Pokemon with all EVS to 255. (HACK HACK HACK )

X = Swicth Number

Actually tachan, that won't work with the EV show. You have to have a different variable for each stat. The way you have it now will show the same stat for each output.

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/thepsynergist
Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:08 PM
ManCharmander
Beginning Trainer

Hey, I'm just wondering how to make a Rival with Conditional Branch. Please help. Would be much obliged.
Old September 24th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManCharmander View Post
Hey, I'm just wondering how to make a Rival with Conditional Branch. Please help. Would be much obliged.
How do you mean? Do you mean how to make the rival use different Pokémon depending on which starter the player chose?

The wiki has a page about that.
Old September 25th, 2011, 12:19 PM
zingzags
Creator or Pokemon Serenity

Nature: Adamant
Is there any way to make a sort of a Word break (Line break), for example I have this sentence:

"I Like Pie"

to:

"I
Like Pie"

I have a certain text displaying, but the sentence runs too long, I want to be able to cut it and place the other half right under because this text is loaded from the PBS files.
Pokemon Serenity is my fangame name.
name decided 12/15/09
Currently helping:
Pokemon ebony
and
Xenotime:
Old September 25th, 2011, 03:40 PM
pokemonmasteraaron
The blind Pokémon Master!

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to pokemonmasteraaron
I've got 2 things to ask about essentials.
I'm blind, so I'm making, and have already made, pokemon game(s) with no map but the pokecenter, but complete storyline, but this isn't the place to discuss that, I just thought that may be handy for those whom help me.
1: I wish to creat a password system like on pokemon rumble.
Normally, this would not be a problem.
Input number 8 digits.
Conditional branch variable 51 password is 11297381
if so, conditional branch giving away a pokémon of my choice, of my level choice.
However, in essentials, instead of letting you enter a number as with pokemon rumble, you have to select a number.
It doesn't work out!
I need a way for you to be able to enter a password and if correct, than the conditional branch will happen.
Please tell me if you can help me with that.
2: On, what I hope, is a more easy task, I am having trouble with control timer.
The steller empire is going to bomb the place and explode everything if you don't beat so many people in a certen amount of time.
However, I can't ever get it to work properly.
It rresults like you did it in time no matter what.
Any help?
What I do.
Control Timer start 0 min 0 sec.
Conditional branch if 10 min or longer, than
play se explosion
return to title screen.
Else
Storyline contenues.

If you'd help, I'd be very greatful!
Game developer.
Not nearly as active on here as I used to be.
Still like meeting and talking to pokemon fanatics like myself.
Old September 26th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
How does one go about editing the red squares that show you a pokemons area on the region map from the pokedex?
Old September 26th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Pharetra
MOM GET THE CAMERA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Reactor View Post
How does one go about editing the red squares that show you a pokemons area on the region map from the pokedex?
Yeah, I'd like to know if that's possible too.
Old September 27th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingzags View Post
Is there any way to make a sort of a Word break (Line break), for example I have this sentence:

"I Like Pie"

to:

"I
Like Pie"

I have a certain text displaying, but the sentence runs too long, I want to be able to cut it and place the other half right under because this text is loaded from the PBS files.
The wiki's page on messages tells you how to inset a line break. It's \n by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemonmasteraaron View Post
I've got 2 things to ask about essentials.
I'm blind, so I'm making, and have already made, pokemon game(s) with no map but the pokecenter, but complete storyline, but this isn't the place to discuss that, I just thought that may be handy for those whom help me.
1: I wish to creat a password system like on pokemon rumble.
Normally, this would not be a problem.
Input number 8 digits.
Conditional branch variable 51 password is 11297381
if so, conditional branch giving away a pokémon of my choice, of my level choice.
However, in essentials, instead of letting you enter a number as with pokemon rumble, you have to select a number.
It doesn't work out!
I need a way for you to be able to enter a password and if correct, than the conditional branch will happen.
Please tell me if you can help me with that.
2: On, what I hope, is a more easy task, I am having trouble with control timer.
The steller empire is going to bomb the place and explode everything if you don't beat so many people in a certen amount of time.
However, I can't ever get it to work properly.
It rresults like you did it in time no matter what.
Any help?
What I do.
Control Timer start 0 min 0 sec.
Conditional branch if 10 min or longer, than
play se explosion
return to title screen.
Else
Storyline contenues.

If you'd help, I'd be very greatful!
1. You can use pbEnterText("Enter code:",1,8) to let the player type in a code. Save it to a variable, and then compare it to whichever codes you have in your conditional branches.

2. This should be done in the scripts rather than events, because events won't check the time constantly. The Bug Catching Contest has a timer in it (20 minutes by default). You can copy how this works. Basically, save the starting time to a variable, then use an Events.onMapUpdate procedure to compare the start time + 10 minutes to the current time. If greater, game over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Reactor View Post
Edit them how? The squares are in the script section PokemonNestsMap, and look like:

Code:
@point.fill_rect(0,0,20,20,Color.new(255,0,0))
The def pbUpdate just below that changes the opacity of the squares to make them glow. That's all there is to them.

I'd like to know how you'd rather see them work.
Old September 27th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
And that's all I needed. I just wanted to make it so they don't overlap, and change them to a different color. Thank you very much :)

Now... This problem started showing up before i edited that... So it has nothing to do wit that script change. But for some reason... the use of scrolling menus is really acting up... Like... The pokedex and bag menus are acting strange. I can't get all the way to the bottom of the bag if it's off the screen, and i can't go below the fourth pokemon on my pokedex. If i go up from the top, it will go to the very bottom and scroll back up to the top really fast. I've never had this problem until now, and I haven't changed any scripts in months... Any idea what the problem could be?

Nevermind... I restarted my computer..and it fixed the problem..

Last edited by Atomic Reactor; September 27th, 2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old September 28th, 2011, 10:39 AM
pokemonmasteraaron

Thanks for the help, but I still need to know one thing.
How do I save something to a variable?
Game developer.
Old September 28th, 2011, 11:41 AM
IceGod64
My imagination.

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Thanks for the help, but I still need to know one thing.
How do I save something to a variable?
It's extremely easy to that, probabl the simplest thing in RGSS.

VARIABLENAME = VALUE

So, for example

NumberOfCheezits = 0
COLOR = "Red"

Old September 28th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Magnus Vale
Beginning Trainer

I'm having some issues with the Day/Night system in my game.

When I load up the game to test, the night tint only shows up for aoout 5 seconds and then vanishes.

I am using the latest version of Pokemon Essentials downloaded from the wiki. I have not made any changes to the day/night system.

I would very much appreciate any advice on how to go about fixing this.
Old September 28th, 2011, 05:11 PM
pokemonmasteraaron

VARIABLENAME = VALUE?
I'm not sure if that exactly answers my question.
I need to save something that someone typed in, or something the clock started in a variable so that the game can function properly.
See the answer to my first question to see exactly what I want to know.
Game developer.
Old September 28th, 2011, 06:27 PM
KitsuneKouta
狐 康太

Quote:
VARIABLENAME = VALUE?
I'm not sure if that exactly answers my question.
I need to save something that someone typed in, or something the clock started in a variable so that the game can function properly.
See the answer to my first question to see exactly what I want to know.
I was about to get into a whole spiel on how variables work and such, but instead I'll show you. You can set the value of a variable (save something to it) by simply using the equals sign. You can even save it to the value returned by a method. So in this case, it would look like: $game_variables[123]=pbEnterText("text",0,10)

The method is automatically called when you do this, which is even more convenient. That one line will call pbEnterText, get whatever the user inputs, and save it in $game_variables[123]. Be aware that calling pbEnterText will allow the user to enter text, numbers and symbols though. It's the same method used for the name entry screen. $game_variables are the variables built-in to RMXP (in the Game_Variables script section), and are in fact the same ones that you see in events. So setting variable 001 in an event to "pie" is the same thing as writing $game_variables[1]="pie"

To touch a little more on what IceGod64 said, in a method you can type whatever name you want for a variable (as long as it's not a keyword), like VARIABLENAME, as per his example (although that's used for constants. not important in this case though). However, that variable cannot be used anywhere but in the method you created it, unless you use it as a parameter when calling another method from the one it's in (or a method it was passed to as a parameter). That's probably getting a little complex, so just use $game_variables for now. The "$" in front of it turns it into a global variable which can be used anywhere and everywhere in the code, even in other script sections, in case you were curious. You have to specifically use $game_variables if you want it useable in an event though. Just be careful not to use it for something else in your game by accident, since giving it a value in code somewhere won't be apparent when looking at the variables through event commands. Those names you can give them in events are just for show.
Creator of the Harvest Moon Tool Kit (HMTK).

Anime/Manga fans can find me on MyAnimeList.net, as KitsuneKouta.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here