The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.


Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #9501    
Old November 13th, 2011, 09:18 PM
aquakip's Avatar
aquakip
You jealous, betch
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: United States
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Naive
Hey all!

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a little problem I'm having. I really want to animate our region map (you know, clouds scrolling along above, waves crashing, etc.) and I was wondering if there was any way how that would require as little scripting as possible, unless someone wanted to script it for me (but I don't really want to be a burden).

So if anyone knew how, could they tell me...?

Thanks,
Aquakip ~
__________________


Co-Founder & Artist of




  #9502    
Old November 14th, 2011, 12:11 AM
KitsuneKouta's Avatar
KitsuneKouta
狐 康太
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquakip View Post
Hey all!

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a little problem I'm having. I really want to animate our region map (you know, clouds scrolling along above, waves crashing, etc.) and I was wondering if there was any way how that would require as little scripting as possible, unless someone wanted to script it for me (but I don't really want to be a burden).

So if anyone knew how, could they tell me...?

Thanks,
Aquakip ~
If gifs worked ok, you could take that route (since it doesn't require scripting), but otherwise it'll take some scripting. It's not too complex, since you only have to play around in one particular spot, but it depends on how you want to go about it. You're probably going to need a few still shots with the water in different positions to simulate the water animating, but for the clouds you'll want an image with just the clouds on a transparent background (that way you can just move them around). Now, I'll tell you exactly where to work your magic and how (assuming you have the latest kit. the only difference in this case should be the line numbers):
About 2/3 of the way down the PokemonRegionMap script section (line 196 for me), you should find something like this:
Code:
  def pbMapScene(mode=0)
    xOffset=0
    yOffset=0
    newX=0
    newY=0
    @sprites["cursor"].x=-8+(@mapX*16)
    @sprites["cursor"].y=-8+(@mapY*16)
    loop do
      Graphics.update
      Input.update
      pbUpdate
That loop is what you want. You need to make a counter (stick a variable and make it = 0 above the loop) that increments by 1 each time it loops. I'll demonstrate below. Then you need to use that counter to determine when to switch images to get the water animating effect. For the clouds, you can just increment the x/y values to make them move. You could use two instances of the image for a wrapping effect too (which I'll also demonstrate below).
Code:
  def pbMapScene(mode=0)
    xOffset=0
    yOffset=0
    newX=0
    newY=0
    @sprites["cursor"].x=-8+(@mapX*16)
    @sprites["cursor"].y=-8+(@mapY*16)
    clouds=IconSprite.new(0,0,@viewport)
    clouds2=IconSprite.new(-Graphics.width,0,@viewport)
    clouds.setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/clouds image")
    clouds2.setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/clouds image again")
    frame=0
    picture=0
    loop do
      frame+=1
      if frame==20
        picture=1
      elsif frame==40
        picture=2
      elsif frame==60
        picture=0
        frame=0
      end
      if picture == 0
        @sprites["map"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/map image 1")
      elsif picture == 1
        @sprites["map"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/map image 2")
      elsif picture == 2
        @sprites["map"].setBitmap("Graphics/Pictures/map image 3")
      end
      clouds.x+=1
      clouds2.x+=1
      if clouds.x>Graphics.width
        clouds.x=-Graphics.width
      end
      if clouds2.x>Graphics.width
        clouds2.x=-Graphics.width
      end
      Graphics.update
      Input.update
      pbUpdate
When I tested this, there was a 1 pixel gap between the images (no matter how much I played with the x values), so you should make your cloud image 1 pixel wider (the image should be the same size as the screen for this to work as intended) than normal. Add the blue stuff to your PokemonRegionMap script as indicated above, change the red parts to the graphics you want to use, and expand it if necessary (you can use more than three images. Just expand the if statements). Other than that, you can mess with the parts that check frame to speed up/slow down the animation speed. You can also increase the increment on the x value of the clouds so they cross the screen faster.

Poccil also did something to make that cool effect on the PC box background, but it's 2am so I don't know if I could comprehend it right now.



@PokemonEssentials: did you try checking the wiki? It should have a page on adding new trainers. Also, when adding new ones, it's best to copy existing ones and just edit the values so that you know you got the formatting right. Unless you're using the editor (in which case it might be buggy or something. I don't use it so I wouldn't know).
__________________
Creator of the Harvest Moon Tool Kit (HMTK).

Anime/Manga fans can find me on MyAnimeList.net, as KitsuneKouta.
  #9503    
Old November 14th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Awkward Squirtle
,@,e .ºoO
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Gender: Male
Can't you use the Plane graphics class? IIRC it automatically tiles itself over the whole screen, and you can change its relative position by changing the origin (ox and oy). I don't know whether Essentials has a custom version like the IconSprite class above.
  #9504    
Old November 14th, 2011, 06:39 PM
KitsuneKouta's Avatar
KitsuneKouta
狐 康太
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awkward Squirtle View Post
Can't you use the Plane graphics class? IIRC it automatically tiles itself over the whole screen, and you can change its relative position by changing the origin (ox and oy). I don't know whether Essentials has a custom version like the IconSprite class above.
Probably, but he doesn't want to worry about scripting, so I kept it simple (the part that could have used a plane, the clouds, was already pretty simple anyways). I've also never bothered to look into planes (and it was 2am so I probably would have been vegging out if I tried to look into it), but I'm kind of interested now. I wouldn't be surprised if Poccil changed it for Essentials though, as he played with the tilemap and spriteset (which has caused me some headaches when trying to port cool stuff I figure out in standard RMXP). Guess I better look into that. Thanks for the suggestion.
__________________
Creator of the Harvest Moon Tool Kit (HMTK).

Anime/Manga fans can find me on MyAnimeList.net, as KitsuneKouta.
  #9505    
Old November 15th, 2011, 03:38 PM
KoolKat vs. Lucas's Avatar
KoolKat vs. Lucas
KoolKat Gold
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by zingzags View Post
The notes or advance notes in the kit also covers rivals, its basically a player supplied name, then like everyone else is saying you make a for example the entire first paragraph kitsune covered its like making a regular old trainer, but this one is a bit more special depending on what you do.
I did that exactly. It doesn't help. I added a metadata called "Rival Data" that uses the same trainer to create multiple battles easily, but I can't create my own script. I am pretty good at this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKat vs. Lucas View Post
I did that exactly. It doesn't help. I added a metadata called "Rival Data" that uses the same trainer to create multiple battles easily, but I can't create my own script. I am pretty good at this.
Never Mind. Got it under control. Now I have THIS error. It happens every time i create a trainer type/battle. What does it mean?----------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
---------------------------
Exception: NoMethodError

Message: undefined method `pbSaveTrainerNames' for nil:NilClass

PokemonTrainers:66:in `pbConvertTrainerData'

PokemonTrainers:99:in `pbNewTrainer'

PokemonEditor:3411:in `pbTrainerBattleEditor'

PokemonEditor:3368:in `pbListScreenBlock'

PokemonEditor:1522:in `loop'

PokemonEditor:1547:in `pbListScreenBlock'

PokemonEditor:3368:in `pbTrainerBattleEditor'

EditorMain:252:in `pbEditorMenu'

EditorMain:252:in `pbFadeOutIn'

EditorMain:252:in `pbEditorMenu'



This exception was logged in

C:\Users\Roberts\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------
__________________
Quilava.

Last edited by KoolKat vs. Lucas; November 15th, 2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
  #9506    
Old November 15th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Yero
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Gender: Male
Hi all,
Does someone know the additional script for an autonomous movement towards an event. Instead of for an event; 'move towards the player' - 'move towards EV001'??? It must be possible somehow, but probably only with a specific script for in the script option.
  #9507    
Old November 16th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Maruno's Avatar
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKat vs. Lucas View Post
Never Mind. Got it under control. Now I have THIS error. It happens every time i create a trainer type/battle. What does it mean?----------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
---------------------------
Exception: NoMethodError
Message: undefined method `pbSaveTrainerNames' for nil:NilClass
PokemonTrainers:66:in `pbConvertTrainerData'
PokemonTrainers:99:in `pbNewTrainer'
PokemonEditor:3411:in `pbTrainerBattleEditor'
PokemonEditor:3368:in `pbListScreenBlock'
PokemonEditor:1522:in `loop'
PokemonEditor:1547:in `pbListScreenBlock'
PokemonEditor:3368:in `pbTrainerBattleEditor'
EditorMain:252:in `pbEditorMenu'
EditorMain:252:in `pbFadeOutIn'
EditorMain:252:in `pbEditorMenu'

This exception was logged in C:\Users\Roberts\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------
It means you should wait for the next release, or at least search this thread for the answer I provided maybe last week. Or edit trainertypes.txt manually rather than using the Debug option in-game.

Three choices for you. Pick one.
__________________
  #9508    
Old November 16th, 2011, 09:50 PM
KitsuneKouta's Avatar
KitsuneKouta
狐 康太
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yero View Post
Hi all,
Does someone know the additional script for an autonomous movement towards an event. Instead of for an event; 'move towards the player' - 'move towards EV001'??? It must be possible somehow, but probably only with a specific script for in the script option.
Actually, no script is needed. Just some eventing (so from that you should be able to tell this question doesn't really belong here). In an event, set up a control variable whose value equals the desired event's x, another for that event's y, one for the player's x, and the last for the player's y. Then make a conditional branch that compares these values (i.e. if variable1 (event's x) > variable3 (player's x)), then does a set move route (if variable1 > variable3, move player right). You'd have something similar for the y values (variable2 and variable4), and you'd have to check < and > on both. Then just loop this, and check to see if the player's position (you'll have to update variable3 and variable4 each time you loop in case the player moves) is where you want it in relation to the event so you can break the loop and continue the game. You can probably figure it out from here.
__________________
Creator of the Harvest Moon Tool Kit (HMTK).

Anime/Manga fans can find me on MyAnimeList.net, as KitsuneKouta.
  #9509    
Old November 17th, 2011, 05:56 AM
ultimatewolf's Avatar
ultimatewolf
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gender: Male
but if i try to load it it sas
failed to load actor data
i have no idea what to do
  #9510    
Old November 19th, 2011, 12:03 AM
IceGod64's Avatar
IceGod64
My imagination.
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Castelia City
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Nature: Naive
So, I thought of something and I have a question. Not sure if it belongs here, but...

Say on my bag screen I want the item description for TM's and HM's to automatically grab the moves description from moves.txt instead of the item description.

Would this be possible? I have 110 combined TMs and HMs in my game and that a lot to go through and manually paste the descriptions.
__________________

  #9511    
Old November 19th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Maruno's Avatar
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceGod64 View Post
So, I thought of something and I have a question. Not sure if it belongs here, but...

Say on my bag screen I want the item description for TM's and HM's to automatically grab the moves description from moves.txt instead of the item description.

Would this be possible? I have 110 combined TMs and HMs in my game and that a lot to go through and manually paste the descriptions.
It's a question about Essentials, so it definitely belongs here (at least until we get a new forum sub-section). I haven't tested this but:

In PokemonBag, find the following code (line 421):
Code:
@sprites["itemtextwindow"].text=(itemwindow.item==0) ? _INTL("Close bag.") : 
   pbGetMessage(MessageTypes::ItemDescriptions,itemwindow.item)
Replace it with:
Code:
if pbIsMachine?(itemwindow.item)
  description=pbGetMessage(MessageTypes::MoveDescriptions,$ItemData[itemwindow.item][ITEMMACHINE])
else
  description=pbGetMessage(MessageTypes::ItemDescriptions,itemwindow.item)
end
@sprites["itemtextwindow"].text=(itemwindow.item==0) ? _INTL("Close bag.") : description
There are 3 other places that will also need to be edited, two of which in a similar way to above (all four cases are: viewing the Bag, choosing from the Bag, item storage in the PC, and in the Mart). Search the scripts for ItemDescriptions to find them, and do so.

You can now write any old rubbish for a TM's/HM's description, and it won't be shown.
__________________
  #9512    
Old November 19th, 2011, 04:56 PM
IceGod64's Avatar
IceGod64
My imagination.
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Castelia City
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
You can now write any old rubbish for a TM's/HM's description, and it won't be shown.
Way ahead of you there

Some of these emoticons are pretty amusing, actually.

And uh, back on a related note, there is a nomethod error sadly. Here you go:

Code:
Exception: RuntimeError
Message: Script error within map 96 (CHUBUTO UN.):
Exception: NoMethodError
Message: Section102:421:in `pbRefresh'undefined method `pbIsMachine?' for #<PokemonBag_Scene:0xb09d2f8>
***Full script:
pbShowBag

Interpreter:239:in `pbExecuteScript'
PokemonBag:367:in `pbStartScene'
PokemonBag:1013:in `pbStartScreen'
Menu Display Methods:9:in `pbShowBag'
Menu Display Methods:8:in `pbFadeOutIn'
Menu Display Methods:8:in `pbShowBag'
(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:1583:in `eval'
Interpreter:239:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:1583:in `command_355'

Interpreter:279:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:1583:in `command_355'
Interpreter:492:in `execute_command'
Interpreter:191:in `update'
Interpreter:104:in `loop'
Interpreter:196:in `update'
Scene_Map:96:in `update'
Scene_Map:94:in `loop'
Scene_Map:107:in `update'
Scene_Map:63:in `main'
It's probably a simple fix, nomethod errors usually are, but I'm no good at fixing this stuff normally...

Possibly related, this IS still on an old version of essentials. (It's on the September 2010 version) I'm waiting for a few versions to pass before I roll my main project over to the new essentials.
__________________

  #9513    
Old November 19th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Maruno's Avatar
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
Ah, old version. I don't like old versions. I don't support them, on the whole.

The method that your inferior version can't find, and a few other ones, were added recently. In the script section PokemonItems, you'll want to add the following two defs:

Code:
def pbIsMachine?(item)
  return $ItemData[item] && (pbIsTechnicalMachine?(item) || pbIsHiddenMachine?(item))
end

def pbIsTechnicalMachine?(item)
  return $ItemData[item] && ($ItemData[item][ITEMUSE]==3)
end
The hidden machine one already exists.
__________________
  #9514    
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:58 PM
IceGod64's Avatar
IceGod64
My imagination.
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Castelia City
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
Ah, old version. I don't like old versions. I don't support them, on the whole.

The method that your inferior version can't find, and a few other ones, were added recently. In the script section PokemonItems, you'll want to add the following two defs:

Code:
def pbIsMachine?(item)
  return $ItemData[item] && (pbIsTechnicalMachine?(item) || pbIsHiddenMachine?(item))
end

def pbIsTechnicalMachine?(item)
  return $ItemData[item] && ($ItemData[item][ITEMUSE]==3)
end
The hidden machine one already exists.
There we go, that does the job.

Yeah, believe me, I look forward to the upgrade.
__________________

  #9515    
Old November 20th, 2011, 04:12 AM
dracoflare's Avatar
dracoflare
Togepi
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Gender: Male
How do I change the Menu such a way that I get icons instead of the usual text?
If anyone can show me a small example on how to put icons ,I can figure the rest out myself :D

(I hope That way I'll also learn how to make a Pokemon summary screen,Pokedex etc.,I want it to be different from the usual stuff)
  #9516    
Old November 20th, 2011, 05:21 AM
FL's Avatar
FL
Pokémon Island Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Gender: Male
Anyone know how to items that are stoled by Thief and Covet (and maybe Trick and Knock Off) can be restored at the end of battle?
__________________
  #9517    
Old November 23rd, 2011, 02:45 PM
KoolKat vs. Lucas's Avatar
KoolKat vs. Lucas
KoolKat Gold
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Gender: Male
Weird Glitch. I have a max-size city. The only events there so far are two OWs and an event that pits you against a wild Murkrow to save the trainer (can't escape). I loaded my save file to beta test a few times, it worked just fine. Then I added a few things and when I loaded the save file it showed up but i couldn't move or do anything but look at it. Then I started a new game and when I entered the map the screen turned black and froze. Any fixes?
__________________
Quilava.
  #9518    
Old November 24th, 2011, 12:19 AM
unrivaledneo's Avatar
unrivaledneo
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Request hopefully maybe someone could make a tutorial for it.

For evolution I always wanted to see it more animated see them "morph" into the next pokemon instead of the glow and poof he is there. If someone could write a tutorial on how to use the battle animation or something to run during the evolution part be great.

Also I used a Gif to animated my characters in battle instead of the little bounce, it works great however it looks like it is rendering two gifs on top of eachother giving it this blur laggy look. Any fix?

Last edited by unrivaledneo; November 24th, 2011 at 12:49 AM.
  #9519    
Old November 25th, 2011, 02:06 PM
HJLFgamer's Avatar
HJLFgamer
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Gender: Male
Looking for sprites etc...
Need help with intro menus and oaks lecture.
Need sprites:
Ash: battle (as ash)
Oak: overworld
Ash's mum: overworld
Nure joy: overworld
Officer Jenny: overworld
Gary: overworld and battle (against)
Pikachu: overworld

Also help with getting pikachu to follow you.
Thanks.
__________________

HJLFgamer

Last edited by HJLFgamer; December 4th, 2011 at 05:53 AM.
  #9520    
Old November 25th, 2011, 08:57 PM
KoolKat vs. Lucas's Avatar
KoolKat vs. Lucas
KoolKat Gold
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLFgamer View Post
Looking for sprites etc...
Need help with intro menus and oaks lecture.
Need sprites:
Ash: walking and battle (as ash and against ash)
Oak: walking
Ash's mum: walking
Nure joy: walking
Officer Jenny: walking
Gary: walking and battle (against)
Pikachu: walking

Also help with getting pikachu to follow you.
Thanks.
I have Ash OW, and battle. You can use if you give me credit!
__________________
Quilava.
  #9521    
Old November 26th, 2011, 05:15 AM
HJLFgamer's Avatar
HJLFgamer
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKat vs. Lucas View Post
I have Ash OW, and battle. You can use if you give me credit!
Ok I will add you in the credits.
__________________

HJLFgamer
  #9522    
Old November 26th, 2011, 07:14 AM
dracoflare's Avatar
dracoflare
Togepi
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrivaledneo View Post
Request hopefully maybe someone could make a tutorial for it.

For evolution I always wanted to see it more animated see them "morph" into the next pokemon instead of the glow and poof he is there. If someone could write a tutorial on how to use the battle animation or something to run during the evolution part be great.

Also I used a Gif to animated my characters in battle instead of the little bounce, it works great however it looks like it is rendering two gifs on top of eachother giving it this blur laggy look. Any fix?
Umm..I am a newbie so ignore your advice if it's silly I think it can be done by placing the two sprites on each other and slowly fading out the pre evolution sprite and fading in the evolved form.

I am just imagining it I don't know how to change stuff like Icons,Menus etc.(For now I will have to use Pokessential )
  #9523    
Old November 26th, 2011, 07:39 AM
1ninjadude1701's Avatar
1ninjadude1701
Psyduck
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
how do i make an event that makes the sprite dissappear of the map and make sure the event never happens again?
__________________
Spartan ID




My new pokemon rp

http://pokemonchallengersrp.proboards.com/index.cgi

Join if you like a challenge.
  #9524    
Old November 26th, 2011, 03:40 PM
KoolKat vs. Lucas's Avatar
KoolKat vs. Lucas
KoolKat Gold
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLFgamer View Post
Ok I will add you in the credits.
I have a .zip to save all my Custom Graphics-
Here's the sub-zip for Ash. No backsprite yet.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8sbo1ggzk408za5
__________________
Quilava.
  #9525    
Old November 27th, 2011, 06:44 AM
HJLFgamer's Avatar
HJLFgamer
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Gender: Male
I can't open it since my winzip trial has run out.
__________________

HJLFgamer
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 02:06 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.