The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials

Notices

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 24th, 2011, 05:30 PM
IceGod64
My imagination.

Nature: Naive

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
I'm not getting any exceptions thrown or anything, but the system seems unable to fill the party with what had been stored in $game_variables[637]. I've tried deleting the entire party first to see if that worked, rather than just replacing straight out, but even after then attempting to refill it, there is no 'Pokemon' option on the menu (ie the party is empty).

Thanks to both for helping me out, and hopefully we'll be able to work this problem out. I'm going to try it with something else, such as the money or badges, and see if it just the way the party Pokémon are stored that is causing this not to work. I'd be very grateful if you had any further suggestions, but thank you all the same!
Funny - the same happens to me.

I used $game_variables[800]=$Trainer.party to take the party and that worked, but then I tried to restore it with $Trainer.party =$game_variables[800] and it failed and gave me nothing. I tried using Variable 801 to store the party length too, and it sort-of worked, however, it only save the number of Pokémon and not the party itself, so I got an exception trying to access the party.

Old December 24th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Dave.
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
Global Variable 81 corresponds to Player A's party.
Global Variable 82 corresponds to Player B's party.
Global Variable 83 corresponds to Player C's party.
Global Variable 84 corresponds to Player D's party.

Whenever you change the player, use these three lines of code:

Code:
$game_variables[81+$PokemonGlobal.playerID]=$Trainer.party
pbChangePlayer(1)
$Trainer.party=$game_variables[81+$PokemonGlobal.playerID]
All you need to change each time is the red number, which is the ID of the player you're turning into (0=Player A, 1=Player B, 2=Player C, etc.).

If you want to replace the entire trainer array (which records the party, money, badges, Pokédex progress, and ownership of a Dex/Gear), simply delete both instances of .party from the code above.

I've not tested this, but logically it should work.
The logic seems spot-on to me, and should work. However, for some reason, it doesn't, and I'm not quite sure why... Maybe I'm missing something blindingly simple, which is generally the case for me with things like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceGod64 View Post
Funny - the same happens to me.

I used $game_variables[800]=$Trainer.party to take the party and that worked, but then I tried to restore it with $Trainer.party =$game_variables[800] and it failed and gave me nothing. I tried using Variable 801 to store the party length too, and it sort-of worked, however, it only save the number of Pokémon and not the party itself, so I got an exception trying to access the party.
Yeah I tried that too.. I'm starting to worry that the only way of doing this may be to save every aspect of each of the Pokémon in the party in a different variable (stats, level, moves, etc), but hopefully there is a simpler way of doing it!
Old December 24th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Ratty524

Nature: Calm
I'm getting a strange syntax error every time I try to run my game, on line 723 of PokeBattle_Move, and it's the last line that says "end".

This is exactly what the line and the text above it looks like:
[removed]

EDIT: Nevermind, I did some playing around and got it to work perfectly.

Last edited by Ratty524; December 25th, 2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old December 25th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Oops? I figured I could get away with porting over my entire Spriteset_Map scripts but apparently it was changed with the latest release?

Code:
---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: NoMethodError

PokemonFieldWeather:118:in `type='

Spriteset_Map:444:in `_animationSprite_update'

AnimationSprite:84:in `update'

Spriteset_Map:288:in `_animationSprite_initialize'

AnimationSprite:43:in `shadow_initialize'

Shadow:221:in `initialize'

Scene_Map:29:in `new'

Scene_Map:29:in `createSpritesets'

Scene_Map:28:in `each'

Scene_Map:28:in `createSpritesets'

This exception was logged in 

C:\Users\lollipop\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK   

Pokemon Pillars of Destiny - Starters
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...

Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
Old December 26th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Elyssia

Nature: Gentle
Hello again...

I've noticed there's a weird thing going on with the battle sound with Trainers and Wild being way much lower in volume then the Map music is...
Any way(s) of changing this?

*Edit: Are their also kind of online features being planned?
Such as Online duels, Partner battles, WFC Mystery Gifts etc?
Just wondering

Last edited by Elyssia; December 26th, 2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old December 28th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Pharetra
MOM GET THE CAMERA

I'd like to know in which script the location and name of a Pokemon's sprite is defined. I want to put the frontsprites in \Graphics\Battlers\Front, the backsprites in \Graphics\Battlers\Back, the shiny frontsprites in \Graphics\Battlers\ShinyFront and the shiny backsprites in \Graphics\Battlers\ShinyBack.

Thank you in advance.
Old December 28th, 2011, 05:12 PM
pkmn.master
Hobbyist Game Developer

Nature: Brave
Now that I have time, I decided to work more on my game. I've done more work than I've done testing on battles. I finally made some custom graphics for the battle system and tested it out. This happens when I attempt to battle any trainer. It happens to every Pokemon, not just Starly.

Any ideas?
Old December 28th, 2011, 05:29 PM
DarkShadow21
Master of dark fire!!

Nature: Mild
Send a message via Yahoo to DarkShadow21
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Sign View Post
I'd like to know in which script the location and name of a Pokemon's sprite is defined. I want to put the frontsprites in \Graphics\Battlers\Front, the backsprites in \Graphics\Battlers\Back, the shiny frontsprites in \Graphics\Battlers\ShinyFront and the shiny backsprites in \Graphics\Battlers\ShinyBack.

Thank you in advance.
in PokemonUtilities just search Graphics/Battlers and edit the scripts around some. also you may need to edit a few things in BitmapCache

Check out updates of some of the stuff in Pokémon Titanium and Pokemon Chromium on my deviantart http://darkness2118.deviantart.com/

Last edited by DarkShadow21; December 28th, 2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old December 28th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Pharetra
MOM GET THE CAMERA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmn.master View Post
Now that I have time, I decided to work more on my game. I've done more work than I've done testing on battles. I finally made some custom graphics for the battle system and tested it out. This happens when I attempt to battle any trainer. It happens to every Pokemon, not just Starly.

Any ideas?
Open Editor.exe in your game's folder and go down, to Resize Sprites. There, you can lower Starly's position.
Old December 28th, 2011, 08:02 PM
pkmn.master
Hobbyist Game Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Sign View Post
Open Editor.exe in your game's folder and go down, to Resize Sprites. There, you can lower Starly's position.
It's odd, but on everyone, including Starly, the positioning is correct on the editor. The sprites work correctly on wild battles, but they all work like the photo I supplied during a trainer battle. What else could I try?
Old December 29th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Pharetra
MOM GET THE CAMERA

Quote:
It's odd, but on everyone, including Starly, the positioning is correct on the editor. The sprites work correctly on wild battles, but they all work like the photo I supplied during a trainer battle. What else could I try?
Did you change the screen resolution or the enemybases?
I think the problem is that A) your enemybases need to be changed or B) your screen resolution is wrong.
Old December 29th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Quote:
Enemy sprites for wild battles are different to enemy sprites for trainer battles, in terms of what sets their positions. You've clearly fiddled with the scripts that set the basic positions of enemy sprites for trainer battles. Change it back.
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:55 AM
pkmn.master
Hobbyist Game Developer

I don't remember editing any scripts, but I am going to just upgrade my version of pokemon essentials today anyway, so it should fix the problem.

EDIT:

Just updated my essentials version to the newest one. Everything seems to work well. Now I have the problem of updating my trainers. When I try to copy over my trainer PBS files (trainertypes, trainers, etc.), I get an error. Is there any way that I could properly copy over my trainers from my old file to the new version of Pokeessentials without getting an error? This is also important to know: I havn't updated my essentials version in 3 years.

Last edited by pkmn.master; December 29th, 2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old December 29th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Elyssia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyssia View Post
Hello again...

I've noticed there's a weird thing going on with the battle sound with Trainers and Wild being way much lower in volume then the Map music is...

Just wondering
^ still waiting for an reply... :/ ^
Old December 29th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Pharetra
MOM GET THE CAMERA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyssia View Post
Hello again...

Just wondering
The problem can be the volume of the music used. You can try to normalize the tracks using software. You might want to check the volume of the BGM in RPG Maker XP too.
Old December 29th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Elyssia

I did... the volumes aren't the same.....
If testing in RPG MAKER XP it can go up to 100 as example, but in the Actual game the Battle music sounds like 60% or 70%.
Where can i find the script that controls the BGM in a Trainer battle or a Wild PKMN battle?
Old December 29th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Yero

Hi all, first of all, Maruno, thanks greatly for the new version you made. Remarkable! However, I wasn't able to fix a small comment problem I have. In my game, I included a sort of 'midgame encounters' in which the player face a wild/Legendary Pokemon directly, before turning it into a regular battle. In this, I use animations which need to be dodged. However, I can't get this right. I mean, the animation is there, but how do you create the game that the animation really has in impact on the player when touched.

On the other hand, you are able to make an event when the player touch an event, but can you either do something like Conditional Branch: if EV001 touch/hit EV002 then ...?
Old December 31st, 2011, 08:35 AM
pkmn.master
Hobbyist Game Developer

Quote:
Just updated my essentials version to the newest one. Everything seems to work well. Now I have the problem of updating my trainers. When I try to copy over my trainer PBS files (trainertypes, trainers, etc.), I get an error. Is there any way that I could properly copy over my trainers from my old file to the new version of Pokeessentials without getting an error? This is also important to know: I havn't updated my essentials version in 3 years.
Still need help with this problem. It is halting my game's production severely.
Old December 31st, 2011, 09:00 AM
Pharetra
MOM GET THE CAMERA

Quote:
Still need help with this problem. It is halting my game's production severely.
It'd help if you posted the error
Old January 2nd, 2012, 02:07 PM
pkmn.master
Hobbyist Game Developer

I copied over Trainers.txt and trainertypes.txt from my old project and I get this error when I try to run the game:

Project Crimson S
Exception: RuntimeError
Name must consist only of letters, numbers, and
underscores and can't begin with a number.
Make sure the name is defined in
PBS/pokemon.txt.
File PBS/shadowmoves.txt, line 36
MRMIME=SHADOWSTORM,SHADOWSHED

Compiler:928:in `pbGetConst'
Compiler:947:in `parseSpecies'
Compiler:652:in `pbCompileShadowMoves'
Compiler:647:in `pbCompilerEachCommentedLine'
Compiler:613:in `each_line'
Compiler:613:in `pbCompilerEachCommentedLine'
Compiler:610:in `open'
Compiler:610:in `pbCompilerEachCommentedLine'
Compiler:647:in `pbCompileShadowMoves'
Compiler:4016:in `pbCompileAllData'

C:\Users\Derek\Saved Games/Project Crimson S/errorlog.txt.
OK
Old January 2nd, 2012, 03:18 PM
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yero View Post
Hi all, first of all, Maruno, thanks greatly for the new version you made. Remarkable! However, I wasn't able to fix a small comment problem I have. In my game, I included a sort of 'midgame encounters' in which the player face a wild/Legendary Pokemon directly, before turning it into a regular battle. In this, I use animations which need to be dodged. However, I can't get this right. I mean, the animation is there, but how do you create the game that the animation really has in impact on the player when touched.

On the other hand, you are able to make an event when the player touch an event, but can you either do something like Conditional Branch: if EV001 touch/hit EV002 then ...?
That's very much not an Essentials question. Any RMXP game could have something like that happen. It just requires clever eventing, since there's no way to decide whether an animation "touches" anything.

Quote:
I copied over Trainers.txt and trainertypes.txt from my old project and I get this error when I try to run the game:

Project Crimson S
Exception: RuntimeError
Name must consist only of letters, numbers, and
underscores and can't begin with a number.
Make sure the name is defined in
PBS/pokemon.txt.
File PBS/shadowmoves.txt, line 36
MRMIME=SHADOWSTORM,SHADOWSHED

Compiler:928:in `pbGetConst'
Compiler:947:in `parseSpecies'
Compiler:652:in `pbCompileShadowMoves'
Compiler:647:in `pbCompilerEachCommentedLine'
Compiler:613:in `each_line'
Compiler:613:in `pbCompilerEachCommentedLine'
Compiler:610:in `open'
Compiler:610:in `pbCompilerEachCommentedLine'
Compiler:647:in `pbCompileShadowMoves'
Compiler:4016:in `pbCompileAllData'

C:\Users\Derek\Saved Games/Project Crimson S/errorlog.txt.
OK
In the latest version I renamed Mr Mime's internal name to MRMIME. It used to be MR_MIME. Make sure it shows as the new version (no underscore) in pokemon.txt, as well as in trainers.txt if any trainers use it.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 07:24 PM
Ookiiushidesu
Lead Mapper/Eventer at Gen0

Send a message via Skype™ to Ookiiushidesu
I'm sorry if this has been asked before....

But is there a way to put an animation for puddles like there is with the grass? I have the animation made and stuff.. Just not sure how to apply it and all that.

Any help/tutorials?
Old January 3rd, 2012, 08:55 AM
Maruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ookiiushidesu View Post
I'm sorry if this has been asked before....

But is there a way to put an animation for puddles like there is with the grass? I have the animation made and stuff.. Just not sure how to apply it and all that.

Any help/tutorials?
Putting the animation in is as easy as making grass rustle while walking through it. However, the trick is to make the ripple animation appear below the player. I don't know how to do that, which is the main reason I haven't already done it.

Said technique would also be useful for making footprints in sand/snow.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:43 AM
Pia Carrot
Gen II Hacker | PHO Enthusiast

Nature: Adamant
I couldn't find an example, so I was just wondering how to correctly buy a Pokémon from a vendor (similar to the Magikarp Salesman in RBY). I figure it's simple, and I made a makeshift event that's kind dinky. Any help here?

Old January 3rd, 2012, 05:00 PM
Ho-oh 112
Advance Scripter

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Arms View Post
I couldn't find an example, so I was just wondering how to correctly buy a Pokémon from a vendor (similar to the Magikarp Salesman in RBY). I figure it's simple, and I made a makeshift event that's kind dinky. Any help here?

Conditional branch if money is Greater than or equal to price subtract the money then use an Add Pokemon Script with the pokemon and level
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here