The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Pokémon Essentials

Notices

Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:24 AM
Crazyninjaguy
I'm back.

Advertise here
can anyone help with my problem i posted before?
Im using rpg maker xp - postality knights edition if that helps....i'll be extremely grateful if anyone can help because i cant actually play my game because of the error =/
Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:33 AM
Lorem Ipsum

How would you make your rival battle you with the opposite starter to your Pokémon? The problem I am having is in that I have set the events up depending on switches, yet the game is not processing the switches, and just executing the first page itself.

Click on the banner above to take a look at the fangame I lead, Pokémon Acanthite!
We desperately, desperately need Fakemon and tile spriters!
Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:49 AM
Dr. Manhattan
His Plane Was Built To Crash

Lorem, I could try to help you with that, but I assure you that there's an easier way than what I did, and someone else would have to tell you. In short, I set it up so that if the player picks, say, Squirtle, a switch will trigger causing the rival to walk over and get Bulbasaur. It's a long process that hogs Switches and is takes a while to get it down.

However, if you're having trouble getting event pages that work on Swtiches to run, make sure that the conditions for the switches are being fufilled by checking them in the Debug menu, and that you've properly checked the Switch boxes on the events.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 12:25 PM
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Nature: Naive
Crazyninjaguy: Your problem is that you're using the illegal version of RMXP. Get the real one.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:50 PM
Crazyninjaguy
I'm back.

oh lol
okie thnx wichu :D
Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:12 PM
Hall Of Famer
Born as Hall of Famer

I may have to wonder again ---- Why can't you set up all the moves animations for we users instead of making us have to do it ourselves? Generally we can learn and do the work associated with RPG Maker but the animations don't. This means that no matter how talented we are in scripting, it's not possible for us to make the animations all alone. Please accept my request, thanks.

My sites:
Pokemon Mysidia: http://www.pokemonmysidia.com
Poketube: http://www.pokemonmysidia.org
Pokemon HOF Official site: http://pkmnhalloffame.pokemonmysidia.com
Mysidian's board: www.pokemonmysidia.com/forum

Quote:
Women are beautiful for the simple fact they are women.

Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:52 PM
partyghoul2000
Intermediate Game Designer

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall Of Famer View Post
I may have to wonder again ---- Why can't you set up all the moves animations for we users instead of making us have to do it ourselves? Generally we can learn and do the work associated with RPG Maker but the animations don't. This means that no matter how talented we are in scripting, it's not possible for us to make the animations all alone. Please accept my request, thanks.
i thought about this myself, but i think it would be a bit much for poccil with all the scripting and bug fixing that he's working on. considering he just added import/export animations in a text file, i think that some starter kit users can make some animations and other users do other animations. and pull together all the text files and resources into one thread. the completetion of the animations would go quicker instead of doing it yourself or waiting for poccil to do it. sound like a good idea?

Check out my Super Gothic Bros hack here.
My ripped pokemon music in MP3 format can be found here.
My custom battle animations and whatnot can be found here.
Credit is expected, if used.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:03 PM
Hall Of Famer
Born as Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyghoul2000 View Post
i thought about this myself, but i think it would be a bit much for poccil with all the scripting and bug fixing that he's working on. considering he just added import/export animations in a text file, i think that some starter kit users can make some animations and other users do other animations. and pull together all the text files and resources into one thread. the completetion of the animations would go quicker instead of doing it yourself or waiting for poccil to do it. sound like a good idea?
Yeah, that does sounds like a good idea, but who'll be the one to carry out this project? Btw, I know nothing about how to make animations, nor do I know how to import them into a txt file. I just wish someone could help me with the move animations of my game but no one responded to my help thread. Therefore, I post the previous posts expecting to see all the animations in the next starterkit release. Can't imagine I may have to continue making my animation-less pokemon game...

My sites:

Quote:

Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:37 PM
partyghoul2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall Of Famer View Post
Yeah, that does sounds like a good idea, but who'll be the one to carry out this project? Btw, I know nothing about how to make animations, nor do I know how to import them into a txt file. I just wish someone could help me with the move animations of my game but no one responded to my help thread. Therefore, I post the previous posts expecting to see all the animations in the next starterkit release. Can't imagine I may have to continue making my animation-less pokemon game...
i would be able to crank some out, but i would need the battle sfx and the animation frames in rpgmxp format.

Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:57 AM
ali madan
Beginning Trainer

#1: How can I make my own custom battle system (the shapes and graphics not the scripting)?
#2:In which tileset is the water fall?
#3:Where can i find any tilesets of gyms?
#4:How can I make my own Pokeball (not the graphix but the scripting)?

and the last but not least:
I have alot of people have the same name and type, but the information is always the 1st trainer! Can you edit the following please?

[this is a picture to a Team Rocket Grunt #5, please edit any error...]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:29 AM
Demonic Budha
semi-good RMXPer (not script)

Hey guys. Got a question for one of our residant technicians.
Ive started joining all my maps together to day (via the Connections.txt) And ive got a strange problem occuring. When you begin to approch a NORTH/SOUTH connection. The noth map will spawn REFELECTIONS of any events that are visable. Ive checked the Tilesets in the database, and none of the grass tiles have reflecetions on.
So has anybody else had this. Or have i done something wrong?
(if it cant be remedied, then i can always just move the events up a bit.)

(for those of you who dont know im not the best speller in the world. )
(also i find it funny that im like 10 years older than some of you and im asking you for help. )
Old July 3rd, 2008, 07:46 AM
Dr. Manhattan

Ali Madan:
If you mean just changing the graphics of the battlebacks and Pokemon, animations, etc, it's done rather easily by changing files in the Graphics folder.

Because I don't have a copy of the program on this computer, I can't give you any info on tilesets and scripting, but I know if you go into the Game Resources topic on this board, there's a tileset that includes Gyms and possible waterfalls. It's a little inconsistant and sometimes comes out blurry, so you may need to edit it.

As for the trainers, you first need to make sure a number has been used to distinguish them in the trainers.txt file, so it looks like this:

#---------------------
ROCKET
ROCKETGRUNT,1
RATTATA
#---------------------
ROCKET
ROCKETGRUNT,2
RATTATA
#----------------------

Then, when you add the trainer event, make sure the script looks like this:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::ROCKET,"ROCKETGRUNT",_I("Losing text blah blah blah"),false,1,false)

The number, of course, indicating which Rocket Grunt to fight.

Demonic Budha:
That's really weird. I've heard of connections causing errors and crashing and whatnot, but refelctions is new. Did you connect using the Visual Editor or by editting the connections.txt files?
Old July 3rd, 2008, 08:09 AM
poccil
Trainer

ali madan:

Use a comment named "BattleID: X" where X is the Trainer's number. This is needed for generated Trainer events. This builds on Dr. Manhattan's suggestion.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 11:17 AM
Dr. Manhattan

Yeah, that's true too.

I tend to just cut out the comments though. I'm not sure if that has an affect on the events or not, but I haven't noticed any problems.

EDIT: Does anyone know the part of the script to change in order to allow each opponent in a double battle 6 Pokemon? Right now, I set up 2v2 trainer battles, but the player and partner can have 12 total while the opponents can only have 6. I've been looking through the PokeBattle_Battle script, but to no avail, and I'm a little afraid to mess around too much.

Last edited by Dr. Manhattan; July 3rd, 2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 05:36 PM
Demonic Budha
semi-good RMXPer (not script)

Hey Dr. Manhattan, i did indeed edit it by changing the .txt itself.

(for those of you who dont know im not the best speller in the world. )
(also i find it funny that im like 10 years older than some of you and im asking you for help. )
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:04 PM
Dr. Manhattan

You may want to try connecting them with the Visual Editor to see if that helps, though I tend to have a hard time with connections myself and they never seem to come out just how I want them to, so there's not much I can do otherwise.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
ali madan
Beginning Trainer

Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Hall Of Famer
Born as Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyghoul2000 View Post
i would be able to crank some out, but i would need the battle sfx and the animation frames in rpgmxp format.
Well, I don't really know how to make rpg maker format frames though. You may grasp sprites from this website if you're good at using PS:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/nin...lg_effects.png

Hope my advice helps...

My sites:

Quote:

Old July 4th, 2008, 01:14 AM
poccil
Trainer

I have finished making a command line program for generating RPGXP compatible animations from sprites. It is to be run from the command line. See this address:

http://upokecenter.com/projects/animmaker.exe
Old July 4th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Hall Of Famer
Born as Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poccil View Post
I have finished making a command line program for generating RPGXP compatible animations from sprites. It is to be run from the command line. See this address:

http://upokecenter.com/projects/animmaker.exe
Have you read my post ever? I mean, can you please add all the Pokemon Moves animations in the next starterkit release?

My sites:

Quote:

Old July 4th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Exiled~Shadow
Once, JJMcay Now Exiled~Shadow

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Yahoo to Exiled~Shadow Send a message via Skype™ to Exiled~Shadow
OMG!! I'm finally back!! sup guys, i was having some trouble... every time i visited the forum id get an error and it would crash! just thought id say hi...

P.S. my game isn't called POKèMON TURQUOISE any more... its POKèMON: DAWN OF THE DINOSAURS
TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!

An untold tale of the high seas...
A tale of the dawn of exploration...
A tale that spans time...
A tale, never told before...

Pokémon: Age of Exploration
Coming Soon...

~~~~

Old July 4th, 2008, 11:42 AM
InMooseWeTrust
Jack of All Trades

Nature: Careful
Send a message via ICQ to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via AIM to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Yahoo to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Skype™ to InMooseWeTrust
How do you fix the "Area" thing on the Pokedex so it shows the location of the Pokemon on your custom map instead of saying "AREA UNKNOWN" for everyone?
Old July 4th, 2008, 04:52 PM
mad.array
Eeveelutions... need more...

Nature: Rash
Heya guys, long time no visit. I've been wondering for some time how it would be possible to only show reflections on specific parts of a tile. I know poccil fixed the reflections so that they don't overlap onto the tile below if they are larger than the tile but what about them showing on the corners of the tile (ie the mud/rock on the edge of the water.

I came up with an idea, but I'm no scripter. Would it be possible (and system resource friendly) to create something akin to an alpha mask for the tiesets that would have reflections showing on them? If you've used other engines (I'm thinking specifically of source but there are others) then you may know that different masks can apply shininess, bumps or transparency to a surface dependant on their colour value. What if a mask was created where, for instance, black pixels meant no reflection and white meant full, with any other value being taken as black. This would mean there would be no reflection except for in the water.

As I said, I don't know how feasible this is but is it an idea worth considering? I leave it to those more experienced than myself.

@>Hall of Famer

poccil is concentrating on bringing the mechanics of the Pokemon games to us, which is no mean feat. Imagine yourself doing that... weaker people would probably be robbed of the magic of Pokémon, having to know how every little detail works. If he were to add all of the battle animations (which if he were to do properly he would have to add all of the D/P moves, look at all the animations in some form and then convert them from the pokemons 30 (???) FPS to RMXPs 20. There was a project to create the battle animations within the community but I haven't seen it's progress. If it were to be done it would require participation and organisation from a large group of people, as well as the acquisition of sprites that just aren't out there at the moment. This stuff doesn't realise itself, so be glad we have what we have. I'm sorry if that sounded like a rant but I think we should be immensely grateful for what has been created so far.

@>InMooseWeTrust

I haven't tried the Area thing in the dex myself yet, but you may want to check out the townmapgen.html file in the root folder and the townmap.txt in the pbs folder. These will hold the information to give the areas names on the custom maps, though whether that will relate to or solve your problem I'm not sure.
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:00 PM
InMooseWeTrust
Jack of All Trades

Nature: Careful
Send a message via ICQ to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via AIM to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Yahoo to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Skype™ to InMooseWeTrust
No, that really doesn't help at all. I think adding that feature in would take a really complicated script that somebody's a n00b in game development (like myself) would never be able to do.

Also, how do you program particular maps within the game so if your character is in a region (like Orange Islands), the Orange Islands map shows instead of the default Kanto map?
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:02 PM
partyghoul2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by InMooseWeTrust View Post
No, that really doesn't help at all. I think adding that feature in would take a really complicated script that somebody's a n00b in game development (like myself) would never be able to do.

Also, how do you program particular maps within the game so if your character is in a region (like Orange Islands), the Orange Islands map shows instead of the default Kanto map?
please read the notes.html. i do believe that it was answered in there. if not, it's been answered at least twice within the last five pages of the thread.

the town maps actomatically change as long as the map you're on is coorndinated to that certain town map through the visual editor in the debug menu or the seperate editor app.

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here